Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
G: She is a woman, the equal of a man.
I
R
: "Hey Azz. I know you probably don't want to talk to me, or maybe you can't, I don't know. And I know that I have no right to ask anything of you after what happened with Asahel; but my little girl's out there, Azz. You'd like her. She's a good kid, and smart. Smarter than I ever was. She means the world to me, Azz. Please don't let her die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah declaring her a woman is best.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am working on the update, between running back and forth to the facilities for an upset stomach. I am calling it for the night, I finish it in the morning.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
G declare her a woman.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

We should print her up an honorary Man Card.
The holder of this card has completed a Manhood Trial in accordance with the Old Ways, and is entitled to the Rights, Privileges, and Responsibilities fitting for a man. So sayeth Enkidel, Magistrate of Kavodel, leader of the Balls of Labaras, and son of King Tudiya of Zepath.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Diogines posted:

I am working on the update, between running back and forth to the facilities for an upset stomach. I am calling it for the night, I finish it in the morning.

Diog has officially lost his poo poo with the thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SKY COQ posted:

Diog did not heed the Ghastly Shitposters Three...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SKY COQ posted:

He shows more dedication to this game than I do for my actual job.

New year's resolution: Care more about my job than Diog does for this game.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

My favorite shawarma place was *packed* today. It is every Christmas. I did my civic duty by going there, as is my tradition. I was a little concerned that they were rushing to get everyone served quickly, that they didn't cook the shawarma quick enough.

I think I have minor food poisoning from undercooked shawarma. I still plan to update in the morning.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 26, 2014

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I am going to die laughing when she returns with an offer and can't get it to burn on the altar, no matter how flammable it is.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Diogines posted:

My favorite shawarma place was *packed* today. It is every Christmas. I did my civic duty by going there, as is my tradition. I was a little concerned that they were rushing to get everyone served quickly, that they didn't cook the shawarma quick enough.

I think I have minor food poisoning from undercooked shawarma. I still plan to update in the morning.

Always cook the mancow thoroughly before you eat it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

I think I have minor food poisoning from undercooked shawarma.

Having been in your situation many times in many places I know I don't need to tell you it's worth it.

But I will, it is. Merry Christmas Dio, thanks for writing this novel dictated by a committee of the damned.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Diogines posted:

Aw, no Christmas dinner with turkey and stuffing? I figured you would have been sitting down and stuffing yourself with apple pie and whatnot. Actually, I've been reading your writing for years now, and I don't know anything about you. We need an "about the author" section somewhere. :)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Declaring her a woman seems best, just what exactly that means is left entirely up to what she does with her life, and doesn't actively challenge any traditions.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
c'mon you sillies, turn those A's into dyzzy's!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dyzzy posted:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

There Bias Two posted:

He shows more dedication to this game than I do for my actual job.

New year's resolution: Care more about my job than Diog does for this game.

We'll see how well that resolution holds up when you get a new co-worker who asks you about every single aspect of the job.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Merry Christmas Team Hunger amd Bularin! Diog has brought you the gift of Ruth's brutal murder.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Shadeoses posted:

Declaring her a woman seems best, just what exactly that means is left entirely up to what she does with her life, and doesn't actively challenge any traditions.

topical, and somewhat :nws: http://oglaf.com/son-of-kronar/2/ (It's Oglaf, for those who don't know.)
"She is my son!"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Diog, what are the legal reprecussions for declaring someone a man or a woman in this manner?

Remember guys, men and women in this society have straight up entirely different rights and responsibilities. Declaring one way or another may well affect her legal status (assuming her legal status isn't "dead").

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

dyzzy posted:

Or consider the Ashera option. You know. Just in case you've lost changed your minds.

Razakai posted:

Merry Christmas Team Hunger amd Bularin! Diog has brought you the gift of Ruth's brutal murder.

:unsmith:

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Razakai posted:

It ain't murder if a mindless beast kills her...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it's like, gross negligence at worst.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
real talk who here would LEGIT feel anything other than "meh, oh well" if we found out she died during her trial?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

real talk who here would LEGIT feel anything other than "meh, oh well" if we found out she died during her trial?

me

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Also me

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I have a bit too much empathy because I would demand that the guy who is doing the sculpture add Ruth on to it somewhere if that happens. That and doing the whole "wailing and gnashing of teeth" thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

me three

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
On a scale of 1-10, how greatly would you rate your pain?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
If we can last minute change while Diogenes is overcome by shawarma sickness I'll go from A to G, name her a woman in the eyes of El.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Urgh, I'm so anxious.

Also, my pain would probably rate a 7 or 8. I want her to succeed at what makes her happy. Turning society on its head is just a nice bonus.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

"We head for the wilderness south of Zepath. It will take us some time to get there. Spend a month in the wilds. Find food, drink and safety as best as you can conceive. Find an offering worthy of El and then return to our home and place it upon the altar in El's shrine. Do this and you will be a man. If you cannot or will not do this, do not return."

[...]

Ruth asks you "And if I do this, will you declare me a man?"

You nod your head and tell her "Yes. If you succeed, I will declare you a man."

Ruth is quiet for a long moment and then nods approvingly, saying "I will Papa. I will find something worthy of El."

[...]

You finished the tale Tudiya told you of the world as it was before, of the coming of Labaras and hints of what lay ahead.

Diogines posted:

"He took wives and he raised up sons and he spread the arts taught to him. With his sons and the aid of the Ophanim, he pushed back the monstrous horde and they pushed back the onslaught of the demons and with blood and spear and faith, they made a place for their own sons in this world. The danger was pushed to the borders of our cities and into the wilderness... and while men in ancient days did not know how to farm, the demons did and still do. There are more demons than what lay within the sea Athar is not the only such farm. The demons remain. And their hunger is eternal... they grow hungrier..."

Yet there, Tudiya's version ends and you tell her "Yet know that El is with us. He will protect us and he will guide you upon your trial. Go into this wilderness with him in your heart and I know you will succeed at this trial, for there is no weapon greater than a heart filled with El."

Ruth has been spending... a great deal of time with Paebel for several years now. She asks "Will he be with us? Truly?" You nod and tell her "Always"

[...]

At dawn, you hug Ruth tightly and tell her "I shall see you in a month. I will be waiting for you at home. Return with an offering worthy of El or do not return at all. May El watch over you."

Ruth tells you "I'll be home soon Papa. Tell Mother not to worry." Snarls stands on his hind legs and rests his massive paws on Ruth's shoulder and licks her face while making a sad whining noise. Ruth hugs him and says "And don't you worry either! I'll be home soon!"

You hug Ruth one last time and say "I love you, remember that"

Ruth tells you "I love you too Papa, I'll be home soon."

You turn and make for Zepath.

You leave and make for Kavodel. The only bridge across the river is in Zepath and while you and Snarls could swim across the river, the path is easier on the Zepathan side of the river. When you arrive at Tudiya's home, you hear your young son Ahaz laughing. What is he doing here? As you make for the room he you hear him within, you see Naomi in the room. One YOUR servants is in the room as well, she rises and goes to the door. She looks at the floor as she speaks to you, obviously in distress and says "I... I am sorry Master. My Mistress says she will not see you until Ruth returns." Naomi lifts up Ahaz and leaves the room through another exit. You hear the whispers of other servants and slaves in Tudiya's household as you leave, shamed by Naomi's actions.

You return to Kavodel.

A month has passed from the date you last saw Ruth.

She has not returned.

Two months have passed from the date you last saw Ruth.

She has not returned.

Three months have passed from the date you last saw Ruth. Naomi's actions have shamed you publicly. What she has done is deeply embarrassing but none would dare speak of it to you, not a soul. At least not where they think you can hear them, sometimes you hear them speak of it anyway when they imagine you cannot. Much of what is said is less than flattering, those you overhear seem sympathetic for Naomi. A small number are more optimistic and you remain beloved and a hero in Kavodel, yet many, most, don't seem to think sending Ruth out was the right thing to do, for a woman absolutely has no place trying to do a Manhood trial in the first place. The heretics in Kavodel seem more supportive, as best you can tell, they seem to think you knew what you were doing letting Ruth go and expect her to return, for surely you wouldn't let her do it if she was not ready for such an ordeal?

THE CUB IS BACK!

Danal takes your hand tightly when he arrives at your door and the two of you share a very masculine brotherly hug. He has grown several inches since you last saw him and seeks bulkier as well. It has been almost two and a half years since he left. He takes off his pack and leaves it, his spear and shield by the door of your home. "Welcome home! Tell me of your adventures" you say to him. And so he does.

Danal left with ten of your Blooded Balls and thirty other Zepathan men. They tracked Jesbaam north, looking for rumors of missing travelers and following them as best they can. Often they were greeted with suspicion or fear they were raiders and more than once they were attacked. I am sorry for the silver Enkidel, we ran low and I knew if I went much further north, your name wouldn't buy anything. This should make up for it I hope."

He reaches into his pack and places something on the table.

That is... a bit more than 250 talents of silver worth of gold.

1. As to the golden ingot....
A. I take it. I will check later with a scale, probably worth about 300 talents of silver?
B. I refuse it and tell Danal he has earned it and far more from his deeds, I cannot take it.
C. I refuse to take it and make a joke, telling Danal "Keep it for now, but don't be surprised if in a month ago you get a note from a tavern keeper which says, whoever shall bring this note to Danal, brother of Enkidel, shall pay Enkidels massive tab of five hundred talents of silver!"
D. Refuse it, but say little else. Arrange for a month or two down the road, while you are drinking with Danal, that the man who runs your inn actually WILL show up to Danal with a clay bill upon which reads "Whoever shall give this to Danal, brother of Enkidel, shall buy the drinks for the Balls of Labaras for the next month!"
E. I take it and say I will give it to the House of El.
F. I refuse it and encourage him to add it to the spoils he is going to give to the widows and orphans of his companions who died.
G. Something else. Fill in.

Your sons Asahel and David arrive, they listen on as Danal tells his tale. Danal tells you that "We found him in a cave far to the north, preying on travelers. He, his men and a horde of goblins. They had some sort of creature that looked like a Zviv but different. Bits of it did not regrow when we cut it and it bled easy enough."

"The battle was terrible, but we won. I killed Jesbaam myself and saw his corpse burn. None survived, not he, not his men, not monsters. We killed them all, even tracking down the goblins which fled after Jesbaam died."

And how many casualties?

"Nearly all of us. Three of our Balls survived it-"

You feel as if you have been punched in the chest very, very hard. Seven... seven of your Balls, your men, your brothers in arms, dead?

"-and only four of our kin I recruited from Zepath. A few men we met along the way joined our cause, some survived, some came back with me. The price was great, but it was worth it."

And what of the treasure? Jesbaams sword? His armor?

Danal tells you that "Enkidel, the inside of his lair was like... was like some sort of insane pantry from the nightmare of a madman. Corpses everywhere and men cut into pieces, placed into neat little pots which were labeled on the side. One full of finger bones upon which the pot was written "fingers", another of feet, one with nothing but preserved eyes, one with intestines, one of balls and another of wombs. We burned all of it. Of what did not burn, we gathered up his foul sorceries and left it with the first High Priest we trusted would actually send it to Baitel, rather than their king. The fiend was wealthy from those he preyed upon, we claimed the gold, silver, gems and jewelry he had horded, which was no small sum. Half we gave to the House of El, we'll divide the rest among the widows and orphans we have made and keep a bit for our trouble."

Danal takes a drink from his canteen.

"It is good to be home. SISTER?" Danal cries out "SISTER! I am home. RUTH?" There is no response frome either of them. Danal looks to you and says in a perfectly casual manner as if nothing is wrong "When will they come back?" David and Asahel give each other a... look, Asahel says "We will fetch wine to celebrate, welcome home Uncle." The two of them flee the room.

Danal says "What is wrong with them? Enkidel? Where is my sister?"

You take a large breath and then tell him. Ruth left on her Manhood trial four months ago and has not returned. Naomi has gone to Zepath with Ahaz and wont see me until her return.

Danal rises to his feet and grabs the fringes of your garment angrily and yells, rather loudly "SHE WHAT!?! YOU PROMISED ME YOU WOULD PROTECT HER ENKIDEL! YOU PROMISED ME! YOU SAID YOU WOULD KEEP HER SAFE!" Danal pushes you angrily, you fall backwards. As you rise to your feet, he storms towards the door of your home, smashing a rather nice pot Lefkandi made for you which sits upon a pedestal near the door.

Where are you going?

"Where do you THINK I am going? To find Ruth! How could you do this!" Danal yells angrily as he lifts his spear and shield which are learning against your doorway, he pulls his pack onto his shoulders.

2. You....
H. Try to convince Danal not to go. Tell him that Ruth may not be strong, but she is clever, like her uncle. She will come back safely yet. He cannot go after her, this means a great deal to Ruth and if Danal finds her, will it not always be said after by others he helped her cheat? How would he feel if you had gone after him? El knows you wanted to, but you did not. He has to stay out of this, for Ruth.

I. Order Danal not to go. You are his older brother and being an older man in the family gives you a degree of authority over him in family matters, especially matters involving your own children.

J. Grab your spear, shield, pack and Snarls and go with him, telling him that you had hoped she would be home by now.
K. Grab your spear, shield, pack and Snarls and go with him, but apologize to Danal, telling him that you felt you had to let Ruth do this.
L. Grab your spear, shield, pack and Snarls and go with him, say nothing to him of justifications or apologies and just go.

M. Urge Danal to wait an hour or two, you will get the Balls, supplies and then you will all go after her, three groups which will split up. One lead by you, one by Danal, one by Uriah, to increase the odds you find her.

N. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 26, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Also!

Holy crap, Dominions 4 is on sale on Steam for pretty much the first time ever? It (and its predecessor games) was a large inspiration for The Land Between the Rivers, one source of several which helped inspire it.

It is a very complicated, slow, deep, feature rich strategy game where you play a mortal, divine, or semi divine being fighting for control of the world with your armies and magic, after God disappears. It is reaaaaaalllly good but not for everyone. Those who play it are pretty fanatical about it!

Since it is only $9 on Steam now, I am taking this chance to plug it, because I think some of you will rather enjoy it! A word of caution though, it absolutely is a slow, complex game, if you don't like those sorts of strategy games, this is totally not for you.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259060/

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

N, grab our gear and go into the wilds in search of Ruth. If we do not find her we do not return

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Time to put our faith in E,L.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Edit: Nevermind!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Oh boy, I knew there would be consequences.

E, H

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i also vote we suicide if we do not find ruth

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Wait, can't we sense Ruth, like we did for Danal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Like a knife to the heart, Diog.

:cry: