Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You really should check out the thread.

I found it and am scrolling through the posts as I half-watch the show. That's about the level of involvement I have with the way the plot (ha!) is going, it's something in the background. The kid Abel is going to grow up to be the lovechild of Charles Manson and John Wayne Gacy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

krushgroove posted:

I found it and am scrolling through the posts as I half-watch the show. That's about the level of involvement I have with the way the plot (ha!) is going, it's something in the background. The kid Abel is going to grow up to be the lovechild of Charles Manson and John Wayne Gacy or something.

We lovingly liken him to a Terminator, for all the emotion he tends to show.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Took a hiatus from six feet under due to traveling, but we started watching it again tonight.

We got about halfway through season 2, the Christmas episode where Brenda sees Nate get a seizure for the first time and Stephen comes over with his niece for Christmas.

Holy loving gently caress I'm so sick of the show focusing on brenda/nate...but mostly Brenda. I don't even know what it is, but I couldn't care less about her character, nor the fact that she's giving handjobs to her clients for another chapter in her book-what a loving trainwreck.

Edit: ok crazy vegan chick from Seattle just showed up pregnant... Haha
And Brenda just hosed some random guy. I really hope Nate leaves her, but that's asking way too much, isn't it?

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 20, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally binged through True Blood's last season, I figured I had to finish the series. I know it's been trashy all along, but the last season was just terrible. Should have just stopped watching after last season.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is any of True Blood worth watching?

As a fan of The Vampire Diaries I'm pretty curious. (I know they're quite different but vamps)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

101 posted:

Is any of True Blood worth watching?

As a fan of The Vampire Diaries I'm pretty curious. (I know they're quite different but vamps)

I really enjoyed at least the first 5 seasons, and 6 was pretty good. Go in expecting a trashy but fun show for the most part and you'll probably like it.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

First two or three season were pretty good and funny (you shouldn't take the show in any serious way ever thought). The seasons after that were mildly entertaining depending who was on the screen. I stopped watching in the middle of second to last season when it had lost all it's charm and what ever else it had going for it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You really should check out the thread.

I tried to follow threads for shows I was bingewatching through, but the problem is they tend to turn into hatewatch circlejerks about how terrible it is and who hated the show first, and how it's so poo poo compared to season 2 blahblahblah. That stuff is really not fun to slog through when you're marathoning a show that you're still enjoying at least a little.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 20, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I tried to follow threads for shows I was bingewatching through, but the problem is they tend to turn into hatewatch circlejerks about how terrible it is and who hated the show first, and how it's so poo poo compared to season 2 blahblahblah. That stuff is really not fun to slog through when you're marathoning a show that you're still enjoying at least a little.

I guess so, but even everyone in the thread agrees that the show is better when binged, at least until the end of season 4. That's when Sutter thinks he's super awesome, writing what he must think is an intricate plot, which in reality is just a garbled mess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Person of Interest when it first came out. I got bored after 6 episodes, But just started watching it again. I skipped a whole bunch of season 1 and came in for the end of season 1. I'm now on season 4 episode 3 and i'm completely in love with Amy Acker all over again.

Glad i waited so it just flows, season 3 got a bit wacky

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: nm

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 20, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocksicles posted:

I watched Person of Interest when it first came out. I got bored after 6 episodes, But just started watching it again. I skipped a whole bunch of season 1 and came in for the end of season 1. I'm now on season 4 episode 3 and i'm completely in love with Amy Acker all over again.

Glad i waited so it just flows, season 3 got a bit wacky

I haven't caught up with this because it's not on Netflix (until like the end of summer 2015) but from what I've heard the first season drags a little then picks up near the end and it's great ever since.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be starting Black Mirror because of the wild acclaim here but I imagine it won't be pretty (in a good way).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Six feet under-Episode 10 or 11 of season 2

gently caress yes-Brenda finally has no choice but to come clean about loving around on Nate.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 25, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-six feet under season 3, episode 1-

Are you loving kidding me? You killed off the main guy???

Edit:nm

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 25, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nwin posted:

Are you loving kidding me? You killed off the main guy???

Hahahah,, I like hearing people watch this for the first time.

EC fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 25, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

EC posted:

Yep...just watched the next ten minutes. God drat.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Even though it's just a podcast I just binged through the first season of Serial in one day. I haven't seen something more addictive since Breaking Bad. If you haven't heard it - give the first episode a shot. All the elements of a perfect story are there including it's incompleteness.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

Even though it's just a podcast I just binged through the first season of Serial in one day. I haven't seen something more addictive since Breaking Bad. If you haven't heard it - give the first episode a shot. All the elements of a perfect story are there including it's incompleteness.

The wife and I went through it in two days. It's pretty great.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

EC posted:

Was that that early on? I just had to check IMDB and yeah it was, I always remembered it as taking place more toward the end of the series. I have a memory hole where S4-5 should be, time for a re-watch...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Cactus posted:

Was that that early on? I just had to check IMDB and yeah it was, I always remembered it as taking place more toward the end of the series. I have a memory hole where S4-5 should be, time for a re-watch...

Your fact checking sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Your fact checking sucks.

Yeah really... Dude, did you even read the IMDb page?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
IMDB does not a fact make.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Thanks for this.
I'm hooked.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mozart in the Jungle is maybe getting added to my top ten.

Loved the first 4 episode.

Gobble Snarf
May 27, 2014

nwin posted:

(Spoilers)

Yo, I'm going through the middle of s2 right now, can you throw spoiler tags on your posts in the future?

Gobble Snarf fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 28, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gobble Snarf posted:

Yo, I'm going through the middle of s2 right now, can you throw spoiler tags on your posts in the future?

poo poo man, I'm sorry.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gobble Snarf posted:

You should too dummy. I didn't see it in his, just the two retards who quoted it and didn't fix it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ariza posted:

You should too dummy. I didn't see it in his, just the two retards who quoted it and didn't fix it.

Fixed my post, sorry about that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I wish I didn't know that either... I know it's an old show I need to catch up on but thought people used the spoiler tag in this thread as a normal thing, no matter how old the show is.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I wish I didn't know that either... I know it's an old show I need to catch up on but thought people used the spoiler tag in this thread as a normal thing, no matter how old the show is.

Whoops, because I was just going by the forum rules which says if the show has aired on the east coast, then spoiler tags aren't needed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, I mean what's done is done now, but from posting/reading itt for a while now I assumed the general rule for this thread is to spoiler tag the big reveals and plot points. People talk around the ending of Battlestar Galactica without saying what actually happened, for example, as well as other shows that finished ages ago.

No biggie now, don't mean to dogpile, it just means I might make it the next show I catch up on!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just watched The Staircase. While not as engrossing as Serial, it's still quite good.

http://documentarystorm.com/the-staircase/

Just don't expect a "definitive answer".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just finished S6 of Supernatural after a pretty long break after watching S5 last year. Does this show get terrible or anything, because I'm honestly surprised just how much I still enjoy the show, most don't keep my interest for this long.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mr E posted:

Just finished S6 of Supernatural after a pretty long break after watching S5 last year. Does this show get terrible or anything, because I'm honestly surprised just how much I still enjoy the show, most don't keep my interest for this long.

Some would argue that it doesn't need to exist after S5, but I still like it enough to keep watching it. The over arching plot lines aren't nearly as interesting, but there are some great individual episodes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EC posted:

Some would argue that it doesn't need to exist after S5, but I still like it enough to keep watching it. The over arching plot lines aren't nearly as interesting, but there are some great individual episodes.

I agree with them in that it doesn't need to exist, but I'm still finding a ton of the episodes great and even the weaker ones are watchable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr E posted:

Season 6 is probably the shakiest. Season 7 a lot of people hate because of the antagonists but I didn't think it was terrible.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
In the last week and a half I've had a lot of downtime at work and time off.

* Re-marathoned all of Parks and Recreation because I love it so much. No regrets.
* Watched season 1 of The 100. Could do with way less Teen Drama bullshit but the rest of it was pretty good.
* Black Mirror (except the Christmas special since that's not on Netflix.) HOLY poo poo that was amazing. I will probably rewatch it all soon.
* Season 4 of Downton Abbey. It continues to be Downton Abbey. Soap Opera BS but I still love it.
* Right now I'm almost done with the first episode of The Americans. Okay this is already really awesome.
* Tried the first several episodes of Broad City but it wasn't for me, as much as I try to love female-lead shows. :(

3peat
May 6, 2010

I've just finished watching Gomorra and holy loving poo poo this has been the most insane and good tv series I've seen in years
It may be the adrenalin talking but right now I'd rate it as 'it's like The Wire but better'. I mite try to write a proper review in a couple days after my thoughts clear as this is a show that really deserves way more exposure, for now I'm just listening to the soundtrack (which is amazing) and searching youtube for clips

like this one from the first episode, which sets the tone for the senseless violence that just escalates and gets more hosed up and insane with every episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxwRYc25zo

and oh yea, Harvey Weinstein is already working on the American remake lol

Gobble Snarf
May 27, 2014

Ariza posted:

Sorry for being a retard :allears:

I've been going through Key and Peele lately. I'm having a great time. I think I like the segments where the two talk to the audience more than the skits sometimes. They just play off each other so well.

nwin posted:

poo poo man, I'm sorry.

No worries!

Gobble Snarf fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

3peat posted:

I've just finished watching Gomorra and holy loving poo poo this has been the most insane and good tv series I've seen in years
It may be the adrenalin talking but right now I'd rate it as 'it's like The Wire but better'. I mite try to write a proper review in a couple days after my thoughts clear as this is a show that really deserves way more exposure, for now I'm just listening to the soundtrack (which is amazing) and searching youtube for clips

like this one from the first episode, which sets the tone for the senseless violence that just escalates and gets more hosed up and insane with every episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxwRYc25zo

and oh yea, Harvey Weinstein is already working on the American remake lol

Yeah boy, finally someone else that's seen this. I've been hoping someone would. Your first reaction isn't hyperbolic at all imo, this show is so insanely loving awesome. I first watched it about a month ago and this is what I posted itt:

savinhill posted:

I've been watching this Italian drama series Gomorrah, about the Camorra crime families of Naples, and its so loving good. There was a movie of the same title, and both movie and TV series are inspired by the book of the same name by Robert Saviano. Saviano spent years investigating and researching the Camorra clans while living in Naples, so his heavy involvement with the making and writing of the TV series gives it a great feeling of authenticity and a wide scope that covers not only the Camorra's dealings in organized crime, but also various institutions and business's it's corrupted, along with it's corrosive effect on certain communities. It also has great plotting, character development and top-notch production in general. Really, I can't suck this show's dick enough. The only real negative about it was that the subtitles could get clunky at points, but hopefully this show becomes as popular as it deserves and they reissue a special edition DVD in the future with better ones.

I've started watching it again earlier this week, taking my time with it more than the way I blitzed through it the first viewing(I found better subtitles and I'm enjoying it even more). I hardly ever watch anything repeat times, I think the only other TV show I've really done it with, going through every episode in order, is the Wire, and you're completely correct that Gomorra is even better.