Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you're going to play it, play one battle against bots for 200 free xp.

I just did, and honestly I'm kind of annoyed because the game mechanics seem less aggressively bad. GJ WG, way to release a game at the lowest point of its entire existence. Do that to WoWS and I'll cut you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Why play planes when there's botes?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I flew once just to see how it was, and I most certainly didn't inhale.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

xthetenth posted:

If you're going to play it, play one battle against bots for 200 free xp.

I just did, and honestly I'm kind of annoyed because the game mechanics seem less aggressively bad. GJ WG, way to release a game at the lowest point of its entire existence. Do that to WoWS and I'll cut you.

No seriously I tried playing Planes on Saturday. Got nothing but 3v3s or 2v2s.

The matchmaker is abominable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I didn't say you had to PLAY it. You evidently get the free day just for logging in.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/game-events/happy-holidays-2014/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

No seriously I tried playing Planes on Saturday. Got nothing but 3v3s or 2v2s.

The matchmaker is abominable.

I don't think WG has ever made an MM that works well with less than a thousand or so players. The actual flying around and clicking on planes bit has lost the lol energy fighters boom and zoom master race it had at launch as far as I can tell though.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Hey nerds. Long post incoming, haven't had net for a few days (I'm staying with family and cannot tanks, or botes, or play Naval Action which I got a key for literally minutes before I left :argh:)

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most players have no idea how to attack either. When they see three tanks spread out on a ridge, they think "To attack this position I need to get shot by all three tanks", with predictable results.

I have no idea how you wouldn't be able to pick up on sidescraping. I guess maybe they see it work for an E-100, so they try to do the same in a Pershing.

In short, pubbies are ludicrously incapable

Actually, I've had to start being really careful about sidescraping, because more often than not the publord I am shooting at sees me do it, then begins to mimic what he sees (with varying degrees of success). Let me tell you that it is not fun when you accidentally teach some braindead E 100 how to sidescrape (and even worse when he realises why you aim your turret off-target between shots, and begins doing same).

As for what it is, yeah, I used to think it meant literally scraping up alongside someone so they couldn't turn and laying shots into their sides. A quick google taught me otherwise. I don't do it nearly as often or as proficiently as I should because it's generally a Poor Life Choice in a medium tank and those make up the vast majority of what I play, but it does come in handy sometimes, especially early game on Siegfried.

mmkay posted:

It still requires some practice to get it right though; many retarded pubbies, when sidescraping in Tiger 2s or whatever, just let me shoot them repeatedly in the ammo rack. Though I guess it's a step up from driving blindly forward, expecting everything to bounce from your KRUPP STAHL.

Well to be fair, getting ammo racked in German tanks is pretty easy, since the primary rack in most of them is along the hull panniers under the turret ring. A little too much angle and you'll be eating shells with your rack in no time. Even after all this time I regularly gently caress up the angle, which is another part of the reason I usually don't bother sidescraping unless I know I can't get away with battleshipping or poking around at an angle.

Prav posted:

I've heard just everything that doesn't get 3x overmatched described as "good at sidescraping". And a few that do.

Anything with:

- thick side armour that won't be 3x overmatched
- awkwardly-angled pubbie bait shoulder plates (high-tier USSR heavies, Obj 430)
- skirts
- really broad tracks (basically any US heavy, high-tier US meds)

Rear turrets generally help too.

Actually, speaking of the 430's shoulder plates, they are some kind of wizardry bullshit. They're only 40mm thick from memory, but set at such a ridiculous angle from basically any aspect that they provide better protection than your 120mm front plates. The number of times I have poked an edge around a corner only to bait some dumbshit T57 into firing all 4 shots into them is really quite astounding. Of course, they work better at long range and while moving, but even up close I've seen them bounce some pretty ridiculous stuff.

Axetrain posted:

How's the M103? When I fight them I rarely have a problem penning the top of their turret or the cheeks if they point anywhere other than ramrod straight at me. The gun looks good but everything else seems sort of underwhelming.

This has probably been answered by now, but it's pretty decent. It doesn't really have armour, but the gun is excellent. It's the same one the T110E5 gets, and handles nicely on the chassis. The 103 also has passable mobility.

The tank's hull is okay; the lower plate is weakish, but the upper plate is very solid and most things short of a T10 TD will not pen it without a good downwards-angled shot at you. The real problem is the turret, which is equal parts huge and squishy. It was a little less easy to perforate before the HD remodel, but still not solid. Now, it's pretty easy meat, so the 103 has been forced more into the support role I suspect it was always intended to occupy rather than being a first-line brawling tank. The cupola is quite large and has no armour, the turret roof leading up to it is stepped which means missing the cupola doesn't necessarily mean a bounce, the turret cheeks are very weak and can be penned from the front, and the sides are pretty thin. Really the only place the 103 will bounce things off its turret is the gun mantlet or if the shot grazes along the sides, which is hardly impressive.

Hang back a little but don't mistake that for "sit still" (don't do this), let the more solid tanks go in first and shoot over them. If you're a top tier heavy you'll need to avoid engaging multiple tanks at once and will need to try and find squishier targets or tanks with lovely guns to go bully while your team distracts the actual threatening things. The 103 can sidescrape to at least some extent because of its mid-mounted turret and American tracks, but you have to really get the angle right because it has pitiful side armour, like the E5.

Also that fat turret is a giant pinata for arty, if there is a 53/55 in the match he will be aiming for your turret sides almost exclusively. Be mindful not just of where your front armour is facing relative to enemy tanks but where your side armour is facing relative to the enemy arty. 53/55s will oneshot you if they hit that loving turret.

Re: funky equipment weights on British LL tanks: I think the devs have stated in the past that module weights are arbitrary in order to achieve some vague goal I can't recall.

xthetenth posted:

It's a way to pay to have similar situational awareness to a decent player.

This is absolutely brilliant, easily the best and most accurate description of it I've seen to date. I'm stealing this.

xthetenth posted:

I wish nothing more than that man's children have happy and loving marriages with roma.

Strikes me as unlikely he will ever find anyone stupid/desperate enough to tolerate his incessant bullshit and toxic personality. Even other shitlers would surely find him too :spergin:.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It seems like the best way to get kills for the Tokens mission is to play tier 6 prefs, and the best way to get damage is to play tier 8+ tanks.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Telescope or laying drive on the E-25?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DoubleWelp posted:

You should never be staying still long enough for the telescope to kick in, and the gun already has a 1.5s aim time.

Rammer, Vents, Optics.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Also there's the nebulous TD view range nerf in the future. I mean, if you've already *got* a pair of binocs then use them to try them out (even if I wouldn't personally). Otherwise get the GLD.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DoubleWelp posted:

Probably optics or scope, it already aims really fast so a GLD is kinda wasted. I generally play pretty aggressive with my E-25, so optics work better for me then hiding since I'll be racing around like a dumbshit.

I use a rammer/net/optics on mine. I think.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Now that I've got all the big stuff on my Tiger I, what modules do you guys suggest? Since it's a support/sniper tank, should I do something like, loader, telescope, camoflague?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Eh, I never used my Tiger much from that far in the back, and so immobile that the nets or binocs would be helpful. I'd go with rammer, GLD, optics. The rammer and GLD put your sustained DPM to ridiculous levels, and the optics are helpful all the time instead of just when you're camping.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Now that I've got all the big stuff on my Tiger I, what modules do you guys suggest? Since it's a support/sniper tank, should I do something like, loader, telescope, camoflague?

Camouflage on a heavy is kind of dumb, and the aim time is pretty bad from what I remember (3 second-ish). So just go with rammer, gun laying drive (since it can't get vertical stabiliser) and optics I guess.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

DoubleWelp posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rammer, Vents, Optics.

moosecow333 posted:

Rammer/vents/GLD or toolbox

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is there a reason why T32s and T29s seem so vulnerable to arty? Even when playing the tier 5 French 105Lefh arty shooting at a T29 will almost always deal ~300 damage while shooting something like a M6 or even a KV-1 will only deal on average 100 damage?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Thin engine deck maybe?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
E-25 talk

It kinda depends. I run mine with rammer, camonet and binocs. On a lot of maps I can get to positions where I can spot enemy tanks the instant they're within the 445m limit, and shoot them without being spotted until they're somewhere between 200m and 300m. Sometimes they'll even stop, and obligingly let me shoot them more while they curse about invisitanks, or I'll just track'em and laugh. Of course, some games I play much more aggressively and get in close and personal, at which point the net and binocs do nothing, but then again vents/optics/whatever is extremely rarely gonna be a lifesaver anyway. Of course it all depends on the map and team tank composition and stuff.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Zettace posted:

Is there a reason why T32s and T29s seem so vulnerable to arty? Even when playing the tier 5 French 105Lefh arty shooting at a T29 will almost always deal ~300 damage while shooting something like a M6 or even a KV-1 will only deal on average 100 damage?

Huge, unarmoured engine deck on a sluggish tank.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Zettace posted:

They are large tanks that want to sit in very certain spots to hide their hulls, Its going to hurt with anything if they get hit in the hull, and in the top of the giant T29 turret too

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can anyone post a short refresher on how HE damage is modeled? I forget the specifics and it's relevant to the arty vs T29/T32 discussion.

E: vvvvvvv I'm almost positive that model is outdated, because they changed how non-penetrating HE hits are modeled at some point.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 26, 2014

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/high-explosive-damage-explanation/

Cones, man. Cones.

And here's a t29

Doesn't take much to go through the top.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 26, 2014

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Magres posted:

E: vvvvvvv I'm almost positive that model is outdated, because they changed how non-penetrating HE hits are modeled at some point.

I think it is for the current system although to be honest I only skimmed it. The old model was basically just "you always deal half damage minus their periscope/roof armor and also all their poo poo breaks". it was better. bring it back.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The old way halfed the damage, made a sphere (that could also pass through solid objects) and then dealt damage through the part of the sphere with the thinnest armour, so you could reliably penetrate thin roof armour when hitting the enemy's UFP and expect to deal 40-50% damage on nonpenetrating hits.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh okay I was thinking the new explanation was implying the sphere could still pass through solid objects, cause I know it can't

Thank you!

Crash74
May 11, 2009

warcrimes posted:

Rammer/vents/GLD or toolbox

WTF is a STAR BIGOT Warcrimes?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Crash74 posted:

We are all dying to know.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Crash74 posted:

subhelios posted:

We are all dying to know.

Gather around kids, it's Christmas story time. A misogynistic, homophobic shitpub from the star citizen forums :10bux:'d thinking he could come troll goons and things haven't quite worked out like he thought they were going to. You think WoT pubbies are spergy? Oh, boy, that's nothing compared to the Mal Reynolds roleplayers associated with SC. Someone joked that he's spent enough on me(this is the second avatar/red text he bought) to send Lowtax and his whole family to see the new hobbit movie. The beginning.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

warcrimes posted:

Gather around kids, it's Christmas story time. A misogynistic, homophobic shitpub from the star citizen forums :10bux:'d thinking he could come troll goons and things haven't quite worked out like he thought they were going to. You think WoT pubbies are spergy? Oh, boy, that's nothing compared to the Mal Reynolds roleplayers associated with SC. Someone joked that he's spent enough on me(this is the second avatar/red text he bought) to send Lowtax and his whole family to see the new hobbit movie. The beginning.

That was a funny moment. I thought he was still spending on avatars for people.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

He's probably also sunk at least two IRL cars' worth of money into pixel spaceships for a game that isn't even close to being done yet, so there's that.

SC fanboys are the loving worst. I almost want the game to flop (despite having about a hundred in it myself) just to watch the worst kind of people on the internet partake in mass sudoku.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Remind me how the gently caress you're supposed to hit any specific spot with the Indien Panzer. This thing's cannon feels like a loving nightmare and it's bloom from even slightly adjusting the turret or vehicle position is rediculous. even when fully aimed, the drat thing seems to always shoot anywhere BUT the center. It's never remotely on target.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

rossmum posted:

SC fanboys are the loving worst. I almost want the game to flop (despite having about a hundred in it myself) just to watch the worst kind of people on the internet partake in mass sudoku.

Wait wut? You mean seppuku.. unless the SC nerds idea of ritual suicide involves number puzzles.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

demonR6 posted:

Wait wut? You mean seppuku.. unless the SC nerds idea of ritual suicide involves number puzzles.

:thejoke:
He's being facetious.

Edit: Also, Ross, come play Robocraft with me

subhelios fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

warcrimes posted:

That guy was great, The SC topic has spawned many trolls, With the best being DaS Kaund or however it is spelled. His posts are magical :allears:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

subhelios posted:

Edit: Also, Ross, come play Robocraft with me

Can't. On slow laptop + lovely satellite internet. I'll be home Monday after next.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: welp literally asked on the same page

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 26, 2014

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

So what equipment should I put on a Tiger 1? Rammer, optics, and ?????. The tank doesn't have any weaknesses I can think of, it doesn't really need any more equipment

rammer/vents/GLD or Tool box

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rossmum posted:

Can't. On slow laptop + lovely satellite internet. I'll be home Monday after next.

Merry Christmas man.. not having to play tanks for over a week is a gift. Think of all the blood vessels you will save in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Rammer, bino's, whatever worked pretty well on the tiger for me. Being able to spot your own targets when you want is pretty useful.