Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My wife gave birth to our son on the 14th and things have been going pretty well. However, the pain she experiences from the stitches after the delivery has been increasing despite the fact she's on prescription medication; she likens it to menstrual cramping. The amount of blood in the pads is not increasing, so her OBGYN told her to rest more and make sure she's taking her medication. Does this happen often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

kimcicle posted:

My wife gave birth to our son on the 14th and things have been going pretty well. However, the pain she experiences from the stitches after the delivery has been increasing despite the fact she's on prescription medication; she likens it to menstrual cramping. The amount of blood in the pads is not increasing, so her OBGYN told her to rest more and make sure she's taking her medication. Does this happen often?

C-section stitches or perenium-area tear stitches? My tear hurt worst a few days to a week later, while everything was healing. I guess it is normal? She should check for weird smells or discharge (heh) just in case infection, but yeah. Ice, ice, ice. It'll get better!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

cailleask posted:

C-section stitches or perenium-area tear stitches? My tear hurt worst a few days to a week later, while everything was healing. I guess it is normal? She should check for weird smells or discharge (heh) just in case infection, but yeah. Ice, ice, ice. It'll get better!

Perenium. No weird smells or discharges, so I think she's just hitting the hardest part of the recovery. Thanks for your input.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kimcicle posted:

Perenium. No weird smells or discharges, so I think she's just hitting the hardest part of the recovery. Thanks for your input.

Make sure she takes her pain meds on schedule instead of waiting for them to wear off and then getting around to it later. It helps a lot more if they're taken regularly. I found sitz baths with Epsom salts to help a ton too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dermoplast was the best stuff for my stitches.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duxwig posted:

Honest question for those who had water birth, did the blood and afterbirth traumatize you from taking baths afterwards?

Nope.

My wife was extremely happy with the results.

It's worth it for the gain in energy for the women in labor but it will make labor longer (spaces out contractions). Also it is a hell of a lot cleaner IMO (think cleaning a fishbowl vs blood in a carpet).

What stops her from baths? Painful stiches because she ripped a labia and her loving clit. Only for 2 days though.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 25, 2014

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

kimcicle posted:

I had an episiotomy, and still tore. I had both internal and external stitches that hurt quite badly for about three weeks, then just when I began to wonder how much longer it was going to go on, things suddenly improved a lot within about three days. I think at first all I could feel was all the bruising then once that started to clear up the pain from the stitches became a lot more noticeable. Sitting in a lukewarm bath with a handful of rock salt in the water twice a day really helped, dry off with a hair-dryer if patting dry with a towel is too painful.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Just got a Belly Bra on the advice of my duola and it has really helped with some of pain issues. Being petite and pregnant wasn't a challenge I had thought much about.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I know it comes up often about Bras, I remember originally reading about Bravado Bras & Nursing Tanks years ago from here. The tank tops are really good especially if you are large breasted (I wore a 40 F/G). They are a bit pricy, but right now everything is 20% off till December 30th with coupon code: BOX-370 and free shipping over $60. Last time they were 20% off I think was in September. They typically have 3-4 20% off sales a year. http://www.bravadodesigns.com/

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rathina posted:

I know it comes up often about Bras, I remember originally reading about Bravado Bras & Nursing Tanks years ago from here. The tank tops are really good especially if you are large breasted (I wore a 40 F/G). They are a bit pricy, but right now everything is 20% off till December 30th with coupon code: BOX-370 and free shipping over $60. Last time they were 20% off I think was in September. They typically have 3-4 20% off sales a year. http://www.bravadodesigns.com/

Man I have no idea what my chest size may be right now. Something ridiculous for sure.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Funhilde posted:

Man I have no idea what my chest size may be right now. Something ridiculous for sure.

I'm a J cup (34J) and I can comfortably fit in their 34F/G. Best tanks ever.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I guess I need to find a maternity bra measuring instructions because the normal bra measurement instructions say I should be a B cup. Considering my pre-pregnancy size was a D I don't think this is possible.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

Funhilde posted:

I guess I need to find a maternity bra measuring instructions because the normal bra measurement instructions say I should be a B cup. Considering my pre-pregnancy size was a D I don't think this is possible.

The Bravado website has what looks like a pretty useful sizing guide:
http://www.bravadodesigns.com/mobile/sizing-help

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah. Baby center had a pretty good guide too. Hoping I can get away with no more bras until I give birth.

Is there a good way to find out all the best things to register for? Best brands and all that? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the STUFF we are going to need.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Funhilde posted:

Is there a good way to find out all the best things to register for? Best brands and all that? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the STUFF we are going to need.

There's a book called Baby Bargains that was really helpful for me, reviews all the different gear and gives recommendations at various price points. I really feel like everything I got was the best choice for me, with the exception of the things that it turned out I didn't use at all - like I ended up just never using the Pack & Play other than as a travel crib on the two overnight trips we took while he was still in cribs. I think the current one is version 10.1, there's a newer one coming out in April.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 27, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Fionnoula posted:

There's a book called Baby Bargains that was really helpful for me, reviews all the different gear and gives recommendations at various price points. I really feel like everything I got was the best choice for me, with the exception of the things that it turned out I didn't use at all - like I ended up just never using the Pack & Play other than as a travel crib on the two overnight trips we took while he was still in cribs. I think the current one is version 10.1, there's a newer one coming out in April.

Baby is coming in March so I guess I'll ahve to do with the current option.

Mother in law scored a pack &play and I think my mom has something similar at her house too. We have a large list of gifted items that we haven't collected.

biggest concerns:
Breast Pump/bottle combo
Baby Carriers
Car seat

I think we are going to try for cloth diapers and have someone with some sets in good condition that we can have.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Funhilde posted:

Mother in law scored a pack &play and I think my mom has something similar at her house too. We have a large list of gifted items that we haven't collected.

biggest concerns:
Breast Pump/bottle combo
Baby Carriers
Car seat

I think we are going to try for cloth diapers and have someone with some sets in good condition that we can have.

If you are in the states your insurance should cover a pump so look into what they offer. I think Medela is considered the gold standard though. As for bottles every baby is different. I wouldn't stock up until you know for sure they will be liked.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Funhilde posted:

biggest concerns:
Breast Pump/bottle combo
Baby Carriers
Car seat

Are you in the US? If so, I definitely recommend the Chicco KeyFit for car seat. For a baby carrier, I love the Beco Gemini or Baby K'Tan for a newborn.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Thanks! I am in the US. I guess I'll check with insurance about the pump.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Funhilde posted:

Thanks! I am in the US. I guess I'll check with insurance about the pump.

My insurance-provided pump sucked and I ended up renting a Medela - just be aware they aren't always (or are never) the best/most comfortable/most conducive to milk flow thing out there. But the Medela was great!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

My insurance-provided pump sucked and I ended up renting a Medela - just be aware they aren't always (or are never) the best/most comfortable/most conducive to milk flow thing out there. But the Medela was great!

Checked on the Medela site and my insurance company pulled up a few options. will have to call and double check of course.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Eris posted:

Terrifying preemie delivery

Update: After almost two weeks in NICU (these nurses are amazing), we brought our baby home. She's amazing and perfect. We'll need to keep following up with a hematologist and a pediatric neurologist for developmental markers - but docs seem optimistic that the damage was minimal and may not ever affect her. I'm going to see a new obgyn to see if this could have been prevented, and if I should just adopt in the future :)

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

Eris posted:

Update: After almost two weeks in NICU (these nurses are amazing), we brought our baby home. She's amazing and perfect. We'll need to keep following up with a hematologist and a pediatric neurologist for developmental markers - but docs seem optimistic that the damage was minimal and may not ever affect her. I'm going to see a new obgyn to see if this could have been prevented, and if I should just adopt in the future :)

Yay for baby being home!

My son was born at 35 weeks and spent 16 days in the NICU. It was pretty loving terrifying, but the little guy is doing well at almost 4 months. We have follow up appointments at the NICU "graduate" clinic and a neurologist follow up at 6 months. It's nice to have the extra assurance that things are on track.

We are also working with early intervention so that he can reach milestones on time.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Eris posted:

Preterm rupture isn't a preventable condition unless it happened during cerclage placement or some other surgical intervention.

However women with a history of preterm birth (like you now, but not before this pregnancy) can be screened for shortened cervix and get progesterone therapy if your cervix is short.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Thanks! I'm not concerned about the rupture as much as I am about how damaged she was coming through the birth canal, and a doc suggested that perhaps my pelvis was tiny. Her little nose was smushed even in sonos, so I'm wondering if I even have enough room in there.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Post-partums who breastfed: when your period came back, was it regular right away or did it take some time to stabilize? Were your cycles the same length as before you were pregnant?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It is a crap shoot from my experience and my friend's experiences :-/

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

Post-partums who breastfed: when your period came back, was it regular right away or did it take some time to stabilize? Were your cycles the same length as before you were pregnant?

I'm exclusively breastfeeding my second child and I got it back just before he turned six months, but I haven't seen it since (it's been five or six weeks). It was a five week cycle pre-bc, pre-first-child, so we'll see what happens. I've been on birth control or pregnant or breastfeeding for the last five years or so.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months before adding solids but we're still nursing, and for me the lochia stopped at 4 weeks, and then 4 weeks later my periods started up again :shepicide:. They were pretty normal, even a little lighter than before until last month, at 9 months post partum I've managed to have 2 14 day cycles in a row. So, yeah. I was super excited to spend a few non pregnant months without them, but it really is a crapshoot.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

cailleask posted:

Total crapshot. Mine just never came - you have no idea how many pregnancy tests I took, because I just had no way of knowing what the hell was going on in there. Eventually I accepted defeat and when we quit breastfeeding at 13 months I started my old birth control pills, and got my placebo pill week period like normal again on the first go.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Toothbrush posted:

Yay for baby being home!

My son was born at 35 weeks and spent 16 days in the NICU. It was pretty loving terrifying, but the little guy is doing well at almost 4 months. We have follow up appointments at the NICU "graduate" clinic and a neurologist follow up at 6 months. It's nice to have the extra assurance that things are on track.

We are also working with early intervention so that he can reach milestones on time.

Congrats to both of you! Our son is still in the thick of it. He was only 27 weeks 2 days. This is still week 3, so he probably has another two months in the NICU. Concurring with it being loving terrifying. It's only been 3 weeks, but it seems like forever.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Stay strong and congrats!! If I've learned anything it's that these babies are amazing - and people truly want to help.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
After a very uneventful first and second trimester, my third trimester is kicking my rear end. I had a stomach bug right after Thanksgiving, and now I have the cold from hell. Some jerk at work came in super sick and now I've got it.

Being sick like this during pregnancy is the worst. At least if I wasn't pregnant, I could load up on Nyquil and sleep it off. I'm due in 2 weeks, so at this point I'm just hoping it clears up before this baby decides to make her big debut.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Ambellina posted:

After a very uneventful first and second trimester, my third trimester is kicking my rear end. I had a stomach bug right after Thanksgiving, and now I have the cold from hell. Some jerk at work came in super sick and now I've got it.

Being sick like this during pregnancy is the worst. At least if I wasn't pregnant, I could load up on Nyquil and sleep it off. I'm due in 2 weeks, so at this point I'm just hoping it clears up before this baby decides to make her big debut.

My best suggestion for sinus/chest congestion help is to do nasal rinsing. Just make sure to use distilled water. It really helps a bunch. It got me through my allergy season in the 1rst trimester and actually helped me a bit with my nausea.

I didn't end up getting the flu shot because I forgot and now they are saying that the strain going around isn't covered in the shot. I am glad I mostly stay at home alone so I'm not exposed to an office full of sick people.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

Ambellina posted:

Ugh, being stuck around sick people is the worst!
There was a point just before Christmas where *three* of my coworkers decided to continue coming to work despite being disgustingly virulently sick. Also, one of the women who got sick (and gets sick often) refuses to take any kind of suppressants, because she "doesn't like the way they make her feel." WTF, so you'd prefer to feel miserable? I think she just enjoys complaining. I am amazed I made it out of there without catching anything!

Anyway, hope you feel better soon! I did get sick right after finding out I was pregnant about 4 months ago, and chamomile tea with citrus rinds and honey helped me feel a little better. That, and lots of rest!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Hey, do you guys have any suggestions for a romantic Valentine's Day meal that's safe in pregnancy?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

El_Elegante posted:

Hey, do you guys have any suggestions for a romantic Valentine's Day meal that's safe in pregnancy?

A nice steak dinner, Chocolate covered strawberries, Sparkling cider.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You're not worried about toxoplasmosis or listeria from the not-well-done beef?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

El_Elegante posted:

You're not worried about toxoplasmosis or listeria from the not-well-done beef?

No. I haven't had a single problem with beef. I decided not to be fearful of every food item available. If I cooked it myself I could be assured that it was cooked to my own specifications. Every food item can be mishandled but I wouldn't want to spend my pregnancy only eating gruel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funhilde posted:

No. I haven't had a single problem with beef.

Well, toxoplasmosis isn't dangerous to you, it's the fetus that's at risk for death or severe birth defects.

The thing about food warnings is that the odds of catching something bad is very small, but the consequences of catching it can be very big.
So you basically have to read up on exactly why certain foodstuffs are labeled as off-limits, and then judge for yourself how safe you can make them and what kind of risk you're comfortable taking.

I'm a worrywart and I like my steak blood-drippingly rare, so I just didn't eat it for nine months, since a well-done steak is worse than no steak to me. If your wife likes her steak cooked through, no worries! If you want to make a meal that's guaranteed to be safe, a good salmon fillet is hard to beat. Not only is it's safe, fish is awesome for growing healthy baby brains!
This recipe is delicious, if you're stuck for ideas.