Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Dyna Soar posted:

bands don't make ladyfit shirts because they don't sell. women don't buy band shirts, or not enough women to make it worthwhile anyway.

here's some tutorials on how to make a mens shirt more tight fitting for girls (my gf uses a technique similar to these):

http://www.andreasteed.com/node/1266
http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Shirt-Mod-Boxy-to-Foxy/

Thanks, this is super helpful actually.

And a few bands do make Women's t's: Kylesa and Boris come to mind ;)

(and I'm pretty sure some of these old Pig Destroyer shirts that I bought out of a big box at one of their shows are not men's shirts either, but I need moooooore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
those two are kinda playing with the big boys nowadays, and their merch reflects it. here printing a shirt costs about 5€ per shirt if you order 100 shirts (price naturally goes down the more you order), so you gotta sell at least half just to get your money back. not really a good deal, and you gotta be really sure of your female audience before taking the risk of selling ladyfits.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

doppler posted:

Just saw Bongripper in Gothemburg. I'm tingling of joy.
Yeah, Bongripper were amazing. Monolord and Yuri Gagarin too.

Eldrimner is still poo poo.

LoneRiver
Oct 4, 2004
wooooo
My oldest friend and I recently finished our first 5 track EP, 'the fall of samarkand', which is the culmination of our combined loves of archaeology, comparative mythology, Drop D tuning and copious amounts of drugs.

http://gateofhorn.com/

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
I know it's a bit late for mentioning Elders album Dead Roots Stirring, but with their new album a couple of months away I was wondering if there are any bands out there with a similar sound? I've searched far and wide, but I've found nothing that can compare to Elder, neither in sound or musicianmanship.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Maybe Samsara Blues Experiment, they're kinda long and jammy in a similar way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow7YUscjiO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXxcU__g1E

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 27, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

clearly not a horse posted:

I know it's a bit late for mentioning Elders album Dead Roots Stirring, but with their new album a couple of months away I was wondering if there are any bands out there with a similar sound? I've searched far and wide, but I've found nothing that can compare to Elder, neither in sound or musicianmanship.

You might check out Colour Haze if you haven't already...kind of a softer version of Elder in my mind. Elder hits a sweet spot with their warm tone, fantastic original riffs, interesting arrangements and subdued vocals. Colour Haze gets there but it's a bit less heavy and a little more psychedelic.

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You might check out Colour Haze if you haven't already...kind of a softer version of Elder in my mind. Elder hits a sweet spot with their warm tone, fantastic original riffs, interesting arrangements and subdued vocals. Colour Haze gets there but it's a bit less heavy and a little more psychedelic.

If I weren't obsessed with Colour Haze already, I'd still worship Pink Floyd. I've heard Colour Haze put forth as a "band like Elder", but the resemblance is minor. For me, they are two quite separate beasts.

chunkles posted:

Maybe Samsara Blues Experiment, they're kinda long and jammy in a similar way.

I've heard them, and they are pretty good. In return, I'd like to recommend Öresund Space Collective. My internet is to slow at the moment to find a decent example, but the bottom line is that they're a bunch of danish people living together who puts out records which are improvised. Their production is good too, considering their material is pure jam.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The thing with Elder is that even Elder dont sound as good as Dead Roots Stirring anywhere else in their catalog. the stuff before is all really stoner metal, and the stuff after is a bit of a mix of the two.

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie
It doesn't matter if nothing sounds like this, it's glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OvoQMQ2JY

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

If I weren't obsessed with Colour Haze already, I'd still worship Pink Floyd. I've heard Colour Haze put forth as a "band like Elder", but the resemblance is minor. For me, they are two quite separate beasts.
That's the thing about a lot of these really great bands and albums, they find a way to come at the genres in a an interesting way and touch something that hasn't been touched before based on my exposure at least...so to find something similar without it seeming explicitly derivative is tough. Forgive this ridiculous example but it's almost like asking for something similar to Led Zeppelin, so the comparison in my mind then becomes about how the band seems to approach their genre and their ingredients rather than the finished product.

Laserface posted:

The thing with Elder is that even Elder dont sound as good as Dead Roots Stirring anywhere else in their catalog. the stuff before is all really stoner metal, and the stuff after is a bit of a mix of the two.
This is spot on. I really hope they are able to recapture what made Dead Roots Stirring so fantastic. I can understand the Spires EP being what it is because everyone wanted something new after Dead Roots rocked their world. It was reassuring to hear the same band on a new EP but it mostly just served to keep us hopeful for a new full length.

Elder is a weird animal to me. I think being relatively young helped them put together something quite unique in an almost naive way. Kind of like the British interpretations of black blues music.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Flying-Jigs posted:

It doesn't matter if nothing sounds like this, it's glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OvoQMQ2JY

Thank you, SO MUCH!

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

Laserface posted:

I can agree on what is usually said about their debut album, probably because I never got into the to-the-roots stoner rock - hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath. I find their latest EP Spires Burn amazing though. I think Elder is able to top it easily, but I can only hope for them to top Dead Roots. Here is a treat for the curious.

EDIT: I think what puts Elder on the top for me is the overall sound. As far as I know, every song is just three people playing one instrument and they still manage to pull of an incredibly atmospheric wall of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDsO30bUx0

About Colour Haze though: Have they said anything about any new material coming out soon? I can't seem to find any good sources for stuff related to Colour Haze and they don't seem have jumped onto social medias yet.

clearly not a horse fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 27, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I found one video of something from the new Elder album. The quality is terrible, but gives us an idea what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qIxGJGS-dc

EDIT: color haze are cool but too vocally. Anything similar along the lines of the track "Love" ?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Y'all need to listen to Causa Sui if you're looking for something that sounds like Colour Haze. I feel like I've mentioned them way too many times in this thread, but gently caress it, they rule, and their album "Live At Freak Valley" is my favorite 2014 release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WFeak1iXBw

hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath

Come on man, that's downright shameful. Go listen to their first 5 albums on repeat and reevaluate your life.

"Tony Iommi is your friend."
-Al Cisneros

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath.

this is loving absurd

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath

it goes without saying but Master Of Reality is really good and the basis of pretty much all stoner metal ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDK6ZeOg7P8

ALL RIGHT NOW!!!!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Also, if you ever wondered why Sleep's new single is called "The Clarity," Al had this to say in an old interview with stonerrock.com:

"In Butler there`s a great refuge. In Ward we have safety. In Iommi we are provided solace. The clarity is provided in the first four releases."

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hell, I haven't even listened to Black Sabbath.

:psyduck: This is unreal. Sabbath is like the foundation of this thread. Everything is built on Sabbath. Seriously do yourself a favor and go through the first four albums because if you enjoy stoner metal even a little bit, you'll enjoy Sabbath.

Henry Rollins said we should rename el Nino to The First Four Black Sabbath albums, because they've wiped him out on numerous occasions.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Put me down as another recent fan of stoner/doom who had never listened to Black Sabbath properly (I'd heard a couple of songs hear and there and always meant to get around to listening to more). On the thread's advice, I went ahead and listened to the first 4 albums back to back just now.

Thank you thread for showing me the error of my ways.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Come on man, that's downright shameful. Go listen to their first 5 albums on repeat and reevaluate your life.

"Tony Iommi is your friend."
-Al Cisneros

Why would you leave out Sabotage? Sabotage is the best one.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Crackerman posted:

first 4 are really the building blocks. the rest of the albums with ozzy are all more or less uneven.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

They went to poo poo after Sabotage but it’s a hell of an album. I’d say it’s certainly the best thing Ozzy ever did.

I guess it’s more straight-up hard rock than metal/stoner like the earlier stuff though.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Half the Sleep Facebook account posts are just "listen to [black sabbath] Volume 4"

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Crackerman posted:

"Hole In The Sky" and "Symptom Of The Universe" are great songs, but I don't like the rest as much. To be fair, even Volume 4 has some filler tracks, so you could probably recommend the first six albums without reservation.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage is were they started to sound a bit more over the top and less doomy, which went way off in the wrong direction with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Day, full of overly-wanky guitar solos and bad 70s synth. All the songs on those two stumble in a million different directions.

I used to hate Sabotage but over time it’s become my favourite along with Master of Reality and 4. I can’t believe how good Ozzy’s vocals are on it

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Some friends of mine from up here in North MN, I think it's pretty rad, might be a tad biased though.
http://wolfblood666.bandcamp.com/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apparently I was conceived during a listening session of Paranoid so gently caress All Y'all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really do like the title track to Never Say Die, but there's like a zillion better songs from Mk I Sabbath.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Likewise, "Johnny Blade" has some sick riffs if you're willing to look past the cheesy synth and stupid lyrics.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

Likewise, "Johnny Blade" has some sick riffs if you're willing to look past the cheesy synth and stupid lyrics.

I like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, so they'd have to be really cheesy synths and really stupid lyrics for me to notice.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The opening part of Gypsy on Technical Ecstasy is great then it just collapses into poo poo.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
iommi probably and understandably got tired of his signature style by Sabbath bloody Sabbath, and decided to spice things up a bit with softer, more melodic compositions. by sabotage, he threw in some more hard rocking, less bluesy songs as well. first 4 are probably the greatest bunch of albums made by a band in succession. I love Sabbath bloody Sabbath and like sabotage a lot, but as a whole they're definitely weaker albums than the first 4. then it all went to poo poo until dio came and rescued the band. then it all went to poo poo again and now they're too old, rich and comfortable to make any real classics. 13 is probably the most uninspired Sabbath worship I've heard.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's not really doomy, but I'll rep for Heaven and Hell. Probably my 3rd favorite Sabbath after Master of Reality and Paranoid.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's not really doomy, but I'll rep for Heaven and Hell. Probably my 3rd favorite Sabbath after Master of Reality and Paranoid.

great, great album. Sabbath transcends all genres anyway.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

First four are gospel, first six are amazing. If you aren't about A National Acrobat and Hole in the Sky nothing can help you.

"You Won't Change Me" off TechEc is severely underrated.

And it's mostly out of the borders of this thread but Born Again is cool.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Finally, we're talking about Black Sabbath

It has been a while since I've given them a good listen though and the past couple of pages have inspired me to go back. So, thanks.

My resolution for 2015 is to get a Dunwich Amplification pedal or two.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

If you aren't about A National Acrobat and Hole in the Sky nothing can help you.

A National Acrobat is def one of my favourite Sabbath songs.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

The first two Dio albums are great and Dehumanizer is pretty good despite its abysmal cover art. The other 80 albums outside of those are poo poo, though. A lot of it is because Iommi wanted to make solo stuff but his label insisted he call it Black Sabbath, despite him being the only member of the band on most of those albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I found a rather interesting Black Sabbath cover/parody today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wkfJY3AZM