Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Is that also supposed to explain the missing mustache?

If I remember right, her transformation was going to be explained by a gamma genetic matrix based on her father.

Because LOEB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

It's one of those holdovers of when you could keep a lid on twists, really all serial media needs to get over that and just solider on when a twist gets spoiled.

If you're telling your story well, then having the twist spoiled doesn't matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Is that also supposed to explain the missing mustache?

That is so annoying, we missed a chance for a hulk with a mustache.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

That is so annoying, we missed a chance for a hulk with a mustache.

He had a mustache in the What If General Ross Became the Hulk? one-shot.

Recently I discovered that Mr. Hyde created the vanishing mustache gimmick back in the 60's. It appears I owe Loeb an apology.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It's a real travesty cus Red Hulk would look so much cooler (and more distinct) with a mustache and graying hair.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bam!

Merry Christmas.

Thunderbolts #31, page 19.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Hell yeah, he's even got liver spots

This is great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I heard something about Axis changing Wanda and Pietro's backstories, what did it do?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

So I heard something about Axis changing Wanda and Pietro's backstories, what did it do?

They're not Magneto's kids. It's pretty obvious that the change happened so they can make Wanda and Pietro not mutants since the movie versions of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver won't be mutants thanks to Fox still having the X-Men film rights.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Magneto is not their father. Either he's been lying to them for years to manipulate them for his own gains or whomever told Magneto they were his kids lied, either way it's yet to be explored more. Just more dumb editorial decisions to line things up with Age of Ultron coming out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What ended up being the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier? I haven't kept up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uthor posted:

What ended up being the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier? I haven't kept up.

Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed against his will.

If you mean who gets the school then no, the story has not finished. But now it has time travel!

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 27, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aphrodite posted:

If you mean who gets the school then no, the story has not finished. But now it has time travel!

K, I'll ask again once the story wraps up!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Chuck seems to be 0 for 2 on the mutants with power over reality department.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Waterhaul posted:

Magneto is not their father. Either he's been lying to them for years to manipulate them for his own gains or whomever told Magneto they were his kids lied, either way it's yet to be explored more. Just more dumb editorial decisions to line things up with Age of Ultron coming out.

Speaking of editorial decisions, I was wondering about the history of reader input on storylines. The big example I can think of is Jason Todd getting killed, but have there been other similar reader votes? Would something like that ever happen today when it seems like the writer's integrity holds a lot more value for the fans?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of editorial decisions, I was wondering about the history of reader input on storylines. The big example I can think of is Jason Todd getting killed, but have there been other similar reader votes? Would something like that ever happen today when it seems like the writer's integrity holds a lot more value for the fans?

The Marvel vs DC stuff that lead up to Amalgam is probably the biggest one I can think of

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A Strange Aeon posted:

- As mentioned by Opopanax, Marvel vs. DC.

- Contest of Champions II, which was Marvel trying to redo the "magic" of Marvel vs. DC with their own roster. Actually had Deadpool defeat Daredevil despite taking place in the late-90's.

- Young Justice had the fans vote on who would be the team's leader. I don't think this really had any real effect on the story.

- Back when Mark Millar was writing Wolverine, Marvel put up a poll on their site asking who he should fight next, presumably so that Millar would have to write that story. Mac Gargan Venom was killing it with the votes, but Millar went online and asked his fans not to vote Venom because he just wrote a story with him and was Venom'd out. He wanted them to vote Blade, but Bullseye ended up winning instead. Then that story never happened.

- Shocker was voted to join the Jeff Parker Thunderbolts. He did absolutely nothing and snuck away so quietly that it took me several issues to realize he wasn't even in the comic anymore.

- Speaking of Thunderbolts, Wizard had a "design a villain" contest back in the late-90's where the winner's character would show up in the pages of Thunderbolts. That turned out to be Charcoal, who later joined the team. There was a huge legal situation with the contest, so when Fabian Nicieza temporarily destroyed him with intent on having him easily reform and come back, editorial told him to keep him dead.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also in Thunderbolts, a character showed up that was originally made in a 70's Make a Character Contest that never actually got used until then.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Wasn't a voting situation, but that whole Monarch reveal in the Armageddon crossover is an example of readers influencing editors and writers.

All signs point to Captain Atom being Monarch, but no that would spoil the suprise. So let's make it so its actually Hawk who has a completely different power set, but now we realize how little sense that makes, so let's make Captain Atom into Monarch and change the previous Monarch into another character entirely.

Just to keep it a surprise.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot all about this. How did Bendis go from one of my favorite writers to a name I'm coming to dread?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Nobody posted:

Wasn't a voting situation, but that whole Monarch reveal in the Armageddon crossover is an example of readers influencing editors and writers.

All signs point to Captain Atom being Monarch, but no that would spoil the suprise. So let's make it so its actually Hawk who has a completely different power set, but now we realize how little sense that makes, so let's make Captain Atom into Monarch and change the previous Monarch into another character entirely.

Just to keep it a surprise.

Monarch's identity was spoiled I'm the solicitations for Armageddon 2001 #2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine is still alive in X-Men because of how long this story is taken.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of editorial decisions, I was wondering about the history of reader input on storylines. The big example I can think of is Jason Todd getting killed, but have there been other similar reader votes?

The Legion of Super-Heroes used to feature in-story elections for their leader which were actually decided by fan vote. They started doing it in 1968, and continued it up until the Bierbaum/Giffen run. And I guess Levitz has brought it back in recent years?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

It's actually more like "Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed, because he asked me to as he couldn't live with the thought of what he became."

When viewed in the grand scheme of things, what Chuck did wasn't that bad. Especially when you compare it to the Illumanti ("Man Cap isn't towing our party line. MIND WIPE HIM!") or Axis ("Yeah we have a spell that's designed to turn bad people good. Let's use it. No we'll never discuss the ethics of what we've done.")

As for readers influence, would you count readers making a character so popular that the Comic Company's had to do stuff/change plans with them? Because there has been a load like that.
(Nearly anytime a villain has become an anti-hero it's as a result of that. Like Sabertooth or Venom. )
Or characters being brought back from the dead due to reader's wanting them back. (Damian Wayne.)
And I think all the stuff that happened with Xorn (post Morrison's run) was at least because readers like Xorn and didn't like the idea that he was a disguise and nothing else.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

The Question IRL posted:

Or characters being brought back from the dead due to reader's wanting them back. (Damian Wayne.)

Wait this has happened?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goatmask posted:

Wait this has happened?

He returned to life last week.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I assumed that was Morrison's grand plan. Was it really just giving in to demand?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinaman7000 posted:

I assumed that was Morrison's grand plan. Was it really just giving in to demand?

More like DC editorial wanted him back. Tomasi helmed the entire return story. I think the other books each had what, one issue of Batman really mourning and then it was back to the grind/ B&R's whole focus has been Bruce dealing with his grief and deciding to get Damian back.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's kinda weird. But good info to know, at least it seems the execution was pretty satisfying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinaman7000 posted:

That's kinda weird. But good info to know, at least it seems the execution was pretty satisfying.

I certainly felt that it was. B&R has remained my favorite Bat-book since the N52 relaunch.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I decided to dig through old Usenet posts about Armageddon 2001 and wow, not a lot of people talking comics on the Internet in 1991. At least not compared to now. What's funny is after the Armageddon 2001 #1 bookend came out, the consensus on the Internet was that Monarch was clearly Booster Gold, and Jurgens was reclaiming him from Giffen's silliness. Other people were convinced it might be an attempt to make Aquaman 'serious', or that it might be Batman or "maybe a woman, that would be surprising and good".

By the end of the summer everyone was convinced it was either Captain Atom or Booster Gold for a variety of reasons. Then in July FUNNYBOOK INSIDERS tipped their hand.

Jim Cowling posted:

A number of places; people in the know on GENie have confirmed it...the most recent DC release shows the cover to A2001 #2, which has Waverider and Captain Atom surrounded by a bunch of heroes from the JLE, etc etc etc. I've seen so
much proof from the company and its representatives I can't begin to describe it all.

When it was Hank Hall, a lot of people were upset, some tried to defend it.

quote:

I haven't read A2001 #2 yet, but from what I've read about the ending, I can only applaud DC actually killing off a major character. I'm so happy its going to be Dove. I hated that comic, the only reason I read it was to see if they did anything good with the Lords of Order and Chaos schtick. Hawk was a rather obvious choice, I guess he was chosen because he was so obvious. You gotta admit it fooled a lot of people (myself included).

quote:

At the risk of being royally flamed by the entire rec.arts.comics readership, I think that this series epitomizes a major problem in the comics world today: The readers take them just too damned seriously. And to see all the readers (including myself) get TOTALLY sucked into the Captain Atom is Monarch bit was a riot. How many times does the hype for a comic say, "You won't believe it!", or "We guarantee you'll be surprised" only to deliver another predictable storyline? This time, they actually surprised me! I had my expectations all set for the usual "shocker", telegraphed as always, and then they throw a real live curve at me. That alone made it worth it.

Jim Cowling posted:

HAWK?!?!?!?!?!? Holy poo poo. I'll tell ya, they had me fooled BIG TIME. Their disinformation campaign to the retailers was incredible, however. From the 1991 DC Editorial Presentation: "Now, the list has been narrowed down to a member of Justice League Europe..."

It takes like two months for someone to ask:

quote:

Anybody think that MAYBE DC changed its mind at the last minute to whom Monarch is ? Why all of the fake trail for Atom (cap) when it was originally him until the entire world guessed it early in the series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, 1991 was the year the internet hit 1 million users worldwide, so there wasn't a lot of people using it then, in general. Granted, the number of comic readers were probably a greater proportion of that 1 million than the general population, but it still probably wasn't a lot of them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In regards to readers voting for something, there was the whole Marvelle debacle with U Decide. Can't remember the details. Something to do with Jemas betting PAD that he could sell more comics or something.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

In regards to readers voting for something, there was the whole Marvelle debacle with U Decide. Can't remember the details. Something to do with Jemas betting PAD that he could sell more comics or something.
Yeah, it was
    Peter David's Captain Marvel
    Joe Quesada's Ultimate Adventures
    Bill Jemas's Marville

Here's a decent write-up. Bill Jemas's book lost, but to the best of my knowledge he never got into a dunk tank. For that matter, I think Jemas was on his way out (Dan Buckley was officially appointed publisher in October 2003, Jemas stuck around until mid-2004, WizardWorld Chicago was August 2003) by the time that con came around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, it was
    Peter David's Captain Marvel
    Joe Quesada's Ultimate Adventures
    Bill Jemas's Marville

Didn't Ron Zimmerman do Ultimate Adventures?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Though it wasn't through editorial and was solely done by the author, Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon had three contests: to create a new character (which resulted in Jimbo, the Mighty Lobster), to decide whether or not Dragon married Rapture (readers voted against it), and a contest for a reader to get punched in the face by Dragon (some guy won).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Metal Loaf posted:

Didn't Ron Zimmerman do Ultimate Adventures?

Yes he did. Also it was better than it had any right to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

It's actually more like "Keep an eye on this super powerful mutant I brainwashed, because he asked me to as he couldn't live with the thought of what he became."

That was the second time. He did it on his own the first time.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That was the second time. He did it on his own the first time.

To be fair, Professor X brainwashes like every bad guy the X-Men face during the Lee/Kirby run. It's not like Bendis is writing him too out of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If there were insane people with superpowers like Magneto running around in real life I'd find it really hard to find it morally objectionable to brainwash them. Especially since we'd probably just have them killed instead.