Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Trying to get kills for the wz-111 missions has been brutal but Christmas came a day late this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Do you not have replays enabled or something? Stop withholding the goods, you know we're interested. :colbert:

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Kuntz posted:

Do you not have replays enabled or something? Stop withholding the goods, you know we're interested. :colbert:

Sorry I didn't think anybody watched replays. I promise that I didn't add malicious code, honest.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1460531#highway-donkeyhotay-t-34-85

http://wotreplays.com/site/1460535#northwest-donkeyhotay-113

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Don't know what happened with OMC install, I don't want it to change.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MariusLecter posted:

It looks like you finally had enough of tanks and shot yourself.

A good mod.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Sorry I didn't think anybody watched replays. I promise that I didn't add malicious code, honest.

I added malicious code. If you watch these replays you'll get a sound mod with me constantly berating you when you play poorly.

Naturally Donkey hasn't noticed yet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I am just waiting for WG to patch the replay thing, so that I can start downloading a few of them and hopefully learn a few things. I want to work on improving my stats at tanks until botes comes out. I figure watching better players will help me out. I oftentimes try to emulate what some people do in games, positioning, sidescraping and etc... Seems to work for them. For some reasons, when I try it, it just gets me killed.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Hating the Valentine?

Reverse sidescraping works pretty well!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Hating the Valentine?

Reverse sidescraping works pretty well!

....Do you even need to? Isn't the Valentine's turret in the center?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's more forward than centre, plus the engine deck is heavily sloped and it is 60mm all around the hull.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

quote:

- in 9.6, old light tanks will very likely be rebalanced (buffed), specifically their firepower apparently (SS: it’s not clear, but I think they mean accuracy on the move)

Everything is coming up Little Leo :getin:

quote:

- FV4202, FV215b switch is still planned – to Centurion Action X and Chieftain, they wanted to do it earlier, but much time was lost in communication with museums, much more than was planned (current ETA is first half of 2015)

I really hope the Chieftain comes out good. I love the 215b, and would hate it if it gets a lovely replacement.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 26, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Subyng posted:

It's more forward than centre, plus the engine deck is heavily sloped and it is 60mm all around the hull.

The engine deck is actually pretty drat weak. I once got circled by a Pz I C and ignored it thinking my stupid hull armour would protect me. I actually got penned a bunch of times and every one was through the engine deck from behind.

Valentine's bad.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

MariusLecter posted:

Your computer has had a sympathy rage induced aneurysm from all the dumbs out and about this week it appears. I really like it.

That or it's signaling you to watch The Hunt for Red October.

Edit: VVVVV How has no one has put together a Hellsau soundpack yet? VVVVV

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hellsau posted:

I added malicious code. If you watch these replays you'll get a sound mod with me constantly berating you when you play poorly.

So you wrote a sound mod that repeats you saying "Why would you do that? Do not do that!" Every 3 seconds?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Played a match on Fjords from the north in my IS-2. Pushed around the corner and wiped out what was left of the south team's heavies, and was heading through the town by the water to mop up when I was shot by a Dicker Max from arty island. I laughed in chat at the camping shitlord who didn't fire a shot until the game was decided, and apparently I touched a nerve, since I got the following tear-stained missive via the official forums-

quote:

WayAbvPar,MajorMalfuncshn has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "Taunting".
MajorMalfuncshn said:
----------------------------------
I'm still baffled why someone with your experience would bash another's play style. You called me a Shitlord for sitting back and sniping in a DickerMax. It's a TD! Limited armor. What it HAS going for it is great view range and a decent gun. It is not particularly mobile. It doesn't have a turret. It's NOT a brawler. It's a sniper. The spot on the peninsula allowed me the best chance to support my team. I doubt if you looked, but I had more than twice the damage of the next guy on my team (of losers) including 589 of your HPs, plus your tracks and fuel tank. I did 1707 in damage, which was more than you contributed to your team's win. And yet, I'm a "Shitlord"?!?
That spot allows me to cover several sections of the map, and sometimes leaves me the last line of defense when a team, such as that one, crumbles. I take pride in my ability to play the game, yet I know I have not mastered it. I can normally disregard such inaccurate ridicule from other players because it is normally coming from some clueless 12 year old who doesn't know how to play the game, but you have more than 22k rounds. Are you always so quick to insult others? Does it somehow make you feel better? You have good stats, but not good enough to claim superiority over all other players. Frankly, when I run into to one of the Unicums in the game, they rarely say anything negative. They let their stats say it all. For less than half of your battles, my stats hold up pretty well. I would invite you to practice what your mamma tried to teach you, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
-MajorMalfuncshn

:allears:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

WayAbvPar posted:

Played a match on Fjords from the north in my IS-2. Pushed around the corner and wiped out what was left of the south team's heavies, and was heading through the town by the water to mop up when I was shot by a Dicker Max from arty island. I laughed in chat at the camping shitlord who didn't fire a shot until the game was decided, and apparently I touched a nerve, since I got the following tear-stained missive via the official forums-

That dude spent like an hour working on that.

Reply back "lmao whatever shitlord"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

That dude had PLENTY of places covered: His teammate's corpses on the south peninsula, his teammate's corpses in the center of the map, his teammate's corpses in the northeast, and the eastern AND southern redlines! Plus he can teamkill his artillery at any moment.

Please never snipe from there, guys. Go up north to support them, go center to support there, go to wherever you can shoot westward down the F line, or hell just sit in the buildings in case you see an opening. You can always turn back and get into your lovely camping spot later in the match. You don't need to be there, doing nothing for eight minutes while your team begs you to be useful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Everything is coming up Little Leo :getin:

I really hope the Chieftain comes out good. I love the 215b, and would hate it if it gets a lovely replacement.

The medium is the one getting changed to a Tier 8 premium, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Magres posted:

The medium is the one getting changed to a Tier 8 premium, right?

Yes, the FV215b is disappearing completely, save for being the basis of the Deathstar.

The 4202 is going to trade in its false armour and L7 for historical armour and probably a 17pdr, 20pdr A-barrel at best

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess I should save up and buy the fv4202 and/or fv215b just in case they do something interesting for the owners.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

WayAbvPar posted:

No, your response should have simply been "ok"

No punctuation even.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, the FV215b is disappearing completely, save for being the basis of the Deathstar.

The 4202 is going to trade in its false armour and L7 for historical armour and probably a 17pdr, 20pdr A-barrel at best

Last look on FTR it had the 20pdr B-Barrel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Computer viking posted:

I guess I should save up and buy the fv4202 and/or fv215b just in case they do something interesting for the owners.

The last notification on how the 'switch' was going to work was that it was going to be mission-based rather than "oh, you have a British T10, here have a premium." That being said, I can't see them taking *away* a T10 if you already own one, you might just get the tanks switched, and not get the premium if you don't do the mission for it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I was actually doing well with the Grant on the first day. And then...and then, I got nothing but tier 6 and 5 matches where my loving shithead pubbies drove its WR into the loving ground. gently caress pubbies.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

apseudonym posted:

Asurmen

Can I do a name change? Or is it set? Id rather be using my SA username.

You can change it (at a cost of 2500 gold) here:

https://na.wargaming.net/personal/

McGavin posted:

Yeah, but the Valentine is that bad upgraded. A fully upgraded tier 4 tank with less DPM than the majority of tier 2 tanks is just shameful.

I know, the Val's DPM is bizarrely nonexistent, but it can at least pen anything it sees and bounce a lot of it. Most of the tards I see while driving the Val have a hard time penning it. The V39 has no armor, and the stock gun is useless; it is basically unplayable in that configuration, and shouldn't exist even for ~historical reasons~.

But yeah, the Val will be going bye-bye soon, and I won't miss it.

RandomPauI posted:

So this is a conversation that happened. I've been playing light tanks in between mediums and heavies. And by play I mean dicking around in light tanks. Apperantly my performance in south coast particularly irked 7XIV because he sent me a message.

7XIV never bothered sending a reply. Does that mean I win?

Oh Paul, you poor, sweet child. :smith:

Bob A Feet posted:

Any good write ups to convince me not to buy the premiums?

Is the panther 88 just a bad panther 2?

I'm still not sure why they came out with the Panther88 now, before anything else they're working on that's new and/or interesting (I mean, money, yes, but it's not like we needed a second tier 8 Panther with the long 88 or yet another German premium medium tank.) At least wait until it's on sale; there's no reason to spend full price (credits or gold) on almost anything in this game.

Dalael posted:

I think the biggest complaint against the lowe is, as Hellsau said, its speed. I was once climbing a hill next a MAUS with my Lowe, and we were neck and neck. Both just as painfully slow. I would pay :10bux: to have a better engine on the Lowe. Its top speed is great.. Its the horsepower to weight ratio that is awful i think.

Other than that, the Lowe is a great tank. Back when I bought it, it was awesome. I am not sure if it is still worth its current price tho(its still 50$ right?)

It's slow and has no armor or camo, but the biggest complaint is that while the gun is good, the DPM is abysmal. It's something like 1600. Sure you're probably hitting & penning your shots, but it takes ages to deliver those mediocre-alpha shots while you can't easily reposition or bounce much of anything (except off the mantlet.)

thylacine posted:

And here's a t29

Doesn't take much to go through the top.

So um, that's not the right gun for the T29....

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So you wrote a sound mod that repeats you saying "Why would you do that? Do not do that!" Every 3 seconds?

I would unironically use this mod. Hellsau, please make a sound mod for us! :swoon:

"Please shoot tanks. Just shoot tanks guys."

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

That dude spent like an hour working on that.

Reply back "lmao whatever shitlord"

"tl;dr"

or

"Have you accepted Barack Hussein Obama as your personal lord & savior?"

or

"Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I had to take my lesbian partner to the hospital to deliver our artificially inseminated baby. He's half Muslim and half black (the donor was some dude we met while protesting in Ferguson) and was born on Christmas so we named him Barack Muhammad Trayvon Jesus Lebron after our lord and savior."

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

He must not run into unicums very much, they poo poo talk each other much less their underlings.

He even signed it, too. Jesus Christ. What a shitlord.

Hellsau posted:

That dude had PLENTY of places covered: His teammate's corpses on the south peninsula, his teammate's corpses in the center of the map, his teammate's corpses in the northeast, and the eastern AND southern redlines! Plus he can teamkill his artillery at any moment.

Please never snipe from there, guys. Go up north to support them, go center to support there, go to wherever you can shoot westward down the F line, or hell just sit in the buildings in case you see an opening. You can always turn back and get into your lovely camping spot later in the match. You don't need to be there, doing nothing for eight minutes while your team begs you to be useful.

Correct! As a general rule, if you are not arty, you should be at least 4 grid squares away from said arty and no more than 3 grid squares from the rest of your team, unless you genuinely know what you are doing (if you need to stop and ponder this, you don't know what you're doing).

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I used this as my sixth sense warning

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Atomizer posted:

You can change it (at a cost of 2500 gold) here:

https://na.wargaming.net/personal/

That's a lot of gold, :effort:.

My WR has gone down in the Bulldog to 50% 45 games in after starting strong but my average XP is better than all my premiums and my WN8 is doing awesome so I'm just going to blame team that I just cant carry hard enough, I'm sure the WR will trend back up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

for christmas this year i treated myself by not playing this game at all

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Control Volume posted:

for christmas this year i treated myself by not playing this game at all

I'm sitting in teamspeak listening to Dandy, MSec and Ackbarre have a terrible time, while drinking and playing Magic Online. Feels good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If you've ever played tournaments with Hellsau, you'd know that a more realistic rendition would be "Shoot the IS-! Shoot the IS-3!"

Edit: bought myself an Archer, let's see how this dumb gimmick works out.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

If you've ever played tournaments with Hellsau, you'd know that a more realistic rendition would be "Shoot the IS-! Shoot the IS-3!"

Edit: bought myself an Archer, let's see how this dumb gimmick works out.

Or "why the gently caress did you fire HE you literally lost us the game."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

Or "why the gently caress did you fire HE you literally lost us the game."

Wait can you actually activate a sound when someone switches to HE or fires HE? Because I might need to do something about that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Dumb gimmick seemed to work pretty well IRL:

As soon as heavy German tanks hit the battlefield, British military minds thought of new weapons to fight them. In the middle of 1942, the QF-17 17-pounder 76.2 mm high penetration gun entered production. An idea arose to install this gun in a tracked tank destroyer.

British Tachanka

Out of all tanks currently available, only the Valentine could lift enough weight. It was decided to use it as a platform for the new gun, installing it in a casemate with limited traverse. The first modifications of the vehicle used a traditional layout, but the center of mass was shifted due to the long gun, and front wheels were overloaded. The gun was flipped around, spreading the weight out equally. The length of the vehicle was reduced drastically, as the gun only stuck out a little bit over the engine compartment.

A downside of this layout was a difficulty of use: the driver looked in one direction, and every other crew member looked in another. This made maneuvering in battle difficult. Additionally, the fighting compartment became very cramped. As a result, the gun could only traverse slightly in each direction and the vehicle had to turn often.

Another, more critical, downside was that the gun breech was placed above the driver's seat. If he wanted to keep his head, he had to leave his position before the shooting started, or leave the vehicle entirely, as there was not much room inside. It is not difficult to imagine how much this added to the aforementioned problems.

The vehicle was indexed "Self Propelled 17 pdr, Valentine, Mk I", more often known as the Archer.

Happiness of Artillerymen

Production of the vehicle began in the middle of 1943, but it arrived in the army much later, in October of 1944, when the fighting on the Western Front was at its most intense. The vehicle was adopted by artillery units of the British and Canadian armies.

It is unknown what tankers would have thought of such an untraditional vehicle, but the artillerymen were satisfied. It was no wonder: even the uncomfortable Archer provided much greater protection for its crew than the towed 17-pounder they had to use before. It is also known that they often preferred the Archer over the more traditional Achilles, due to the Archer's smaller profile.

The small size and low profile of the vehicle determined the most common tactic for its application: ambushes. The Archer took its position, aimed in at an area, and waited until German tanks approached to a viable combat distance. Then the crew of the Archer would fire a few times with minimal intervals between shots, and retreat to another prepared position. These tactics compensated for the limited traverse angle, and the position of the driver was even an advantage, as the Archer could retreat at maximum speed without wasting time on turning around.

Universal Soldier

The high penetration of the QF-17 bailed Archer crews out of trouble many times. It could successfully penetrate nearly any enemy vehicle at any distance with aimed fire. Not only that, but there is even a recorded event of an Archer firing at a Tiger, but missing their first shot. The Tiger retreated behind a building. The Archer's commander received the location of the enemy from a scout airplane, and fired directly through the building, destroying the Tiger through its side.

Aside from fighting tanks, Archers were used to support infantry, destroying field fortifications, machinegun nests, and other obstacles. Using an HE shell with a reduced muzzle velocity, the Archer could fire from entrenched positions, hiding the weakly armoured hull from harm.

Archers were used in Western Europe and Italy, remaining in the army until the end of the war. After victory, Archers remained in use for some time. It is known that the British Army on the Rhine kept then Archers until the mid-1950s. Some Archers were sold to Egypt, where they fought in local conflicts, including the Suez Crisis in 1956-57.

The rapid evolution of armoured vehicles rendered the 17-pounder quite unexceptional, denying the Archer its trump card, the penetration of the gun. This led to the vehicle's rapid disappearance from the battlefield.

Article author: Aleksandr Grebnev. Aleksandr Grebnev is an editor, translator, columnist, and article author for a number of magazines and websites. He took part in the localization of computer games, specifically military and historical ones. Currently, he is a historical consultant and a member of the Wargaming archive group.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Wait can you actually activate a sound when someone switches to HE or fires HE? Because I might need to do something about that.

World of Tanks\res\audio\

he_armor_not_pierce_huge.fsb
he_armor_not_pierce_large.fsb
he_armor_not_pierce_main.fsb
he_armor_not_pierce_medium.fsb
he_armor_not_pierce_small.fsb
he_armor_pierce_huge.fsb
he_armor_pierce_large.fsb
he_armor_pierce_main.fsb
he_armor_pierce_medium.fsb
he_armor_pierce_small.fsb
he_critical_hit_huge.fsb
he_critical_hit_large.fsb
he_critical_hit_main.fsb
he_critical_hit_medium.fsb
he_critical_hit_small.fsb

Have fun!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Hey, you losers, I bought the Pantehr mit 8.8 L/71. :negative:

Played one game so far and it's not nearly as bad as everyone seems to make it to be. Preferred mm would be cool but it has a good gun which equals credits. Also, having a crew for it helps.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 27, 2014

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

I'm sitting in teamspeak listening to Dandy, MSec and Ackbarre have a terrible time, while drinking and playing Magic Online. Feels good.

Have you tried Hex yet? Cheaper than MTGO with some cool only-in-a-digital-space card effects.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

Have you tried Hex yet? Cheaper than MTGO with some cool only-in-a-digital-space card effects.

I have infinite tickets in MTGO, don't feel like putting the effort into playing Hex. Hearthstone was alright but kinda boring.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

I have infinite tickets in MTGO, don't feel like putting the effort into playing Hex. Hearthstone was alright but kinda boring.

People still play Magic? What is this highschool lunch period all over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Hey, you losers, I bought the Pantehr mit 8.8 L/71. :negative:

Played one game so far and it's not nearly as bad as everyone seems to make it to be. Preferred mm would be cool but it has a good gun which equals credits. Also, having a crew for it helps.

No limited mm = No thanks. FCM just seems much better.