Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There is a reference to the Creeper in the Arkham games, though it's in an interview tape we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

His bio from Arkham Asylum directly states that he's the Creeper. His Arkham City bio doesn't mention it, but that's probably because it doesn't really come up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, did they ever do anything to get Viki Vale out of the city or should we just assume she's another frozen corpse along with Nora's significantly less frozen corpse and all the other people Batman kinda forgot to get around to saving?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looking at the opening posts, I looked at the Talia's Guard story again and I couldn't help but wonder something: Why didn't that lady from the League try to leave before Batman said Ra's name?

I mean, none of Penguin's thugs were even around the opening area of the museum for a while and it says those ninjas were trained to deal with hundreds of men. Really, it seems like she should've booked it the moment she regained consciousness.

Night10194 posted:

Wait, did they ever do anything to get Viki Vale out of the city or should we just assume she's another frozen corpse along with Nora's significantly less frozen corpse and all the other people Batman kinda forgot to get around to saving?

I wouldn't be surprised if Scruffy showed it in the upcoming video, but Vicki eventually went to the church along with Warden Sharp and the Riddler hostages.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 25, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Seriously would it kill them to think of a different prejorative to use for her? I mean I don't think anyone called her the obvious "pussy" yet. Unless that's somehow paradoxically more offensive than calling her a bitch.

Pussy is usually used to describe men, obviously as an insult. The common connotation is that it relates them to women, and for a man to be related to a woman as a comparison is seen as insulting or disrespectful, ergo it would be more likely they call Wildcat a pussy before Catwoman. It may also be related to relating them to a cat in being easily frightened or overly cautious, i.e. "A Scaredy Cat," so it might work in that sense for predator missions while she is hiding or stalking around?

Generally though, to answer your original question pussy, by american standards is a more vulgar insult, if not more offensive, especially when related to a woman since that draws sexual connotations which most entertainment outlets (movies, games, books) try to avoid for decency's sake. Insulting a woman (or anyone) with a pejorative is fine, but when sex comes up, you tend to get fairly negative responses from parents and certain other groups.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looking at the opening posts, I looked at the Talia's Guard story again and I couldn't help but wonder something: Why didn't that lady from the League try to leave before Batman said Ra's name?

I mean, none of Penguin's thugs were even around the opening area of the museum for a while and it says those ninjas were trained to deal with hundreds of men. Really, it seems like she should've booked it the moment she regained consciousness.

Because she's in a reinforced glass case. She only gets out at all because Freeze cracked the glass when he slammed Penguin into it. I'm sure she could have broken the glass eventually but she wouldn't have been able to do it quickly and it would probably have drawn attention. I'd give it 50/50 odds of her being able to get out of the case before thugs with guns showed up and the case isn't exactly going to provide cover from bullets if she can't get out of it fast enough. So she stuck around, waiting for an opportunity. And it worked out. Sorta.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Gensuki posted:

Pussy is usually used to describe men, obviously as an insult. The common connotation is that it relates them to women, and for a man to be related to a woman as a comparison is seen as insulting or disrespectful, ergo it would be more likely they call Wildcat a pussy before Catwoman.

I don't think even Joker is crazy enough to call Wildcat a pussy.

Now I want Wildcat DLC for Arkham Knight. You think getting hit by Batman sucks? Try getting hit by the guy who taught Batman how to hurt people.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Quiet Python posted:

Lex Luthor's blind spot concerning Superman's secret identity was explained to me as Luthor really not understanding why Superman does what he does.

Superman's an alien space god, right? He has all of these super powers. If you were a powerful alien space god, what would you do with your powers? Well, if you're someone like Lex, you'd use them to get rich...well, richer. You'd become powerful, maybe take over a few countries just because you can. Bang anyone you want, and make sure everyone knows that you're the most powerful force on the planet.

The idea that an alien space god would live quietly on a farm in Kansas and then take a job as a simple news reporter while pretending to be meek and wimpy sounds utterly nonsensical to Luthor's selfish logic. That said space god would then put on blue tights and go around helping people for no reward sounds even more unbelievable. Luthor thinks Superman is conning the planet with his "hero"act and proving he's a fake is a challenge worthy of Lex's genius.

I wonder if Batman's identity is protected in a similar way. "Bruce Wayne is Batman? Don't be ridiculous. Bruce Wayne is handsome, rich, and powerful. He has everything you could ever want, why would he go out every night and risk losing it all to a lucky bullet from some common thug?"
Yep, pretty much this. Luthor figured out Superman's secret identity 25 years ago in 1987's Superman #2 (vol. 2). But because Luthor is Luthor he discards the entire possibility.

With Batman, it's different. Bruce Wayne is, as far as the public knows, male Paris Hilton. He's rich, careless and spoiled and he plays this up to ridiculous levels. You know how Christian Bale parks his sports car in a fountain in The Dark Knight? That's the main reason why the public will never make the connection between Batman and Wayne - Bruce Wayne is an idiot.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I liked the explanation for the supervillains not knowing Clark Kent is Superman that was posited by Texts From Superheroes.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CuwiKhons posted:

It's not that they call her a bitch that bothers me. It's that they call her a bitch every 10 seconds, and they call her, Ivy, and Harley bitches pretty much every single time they talk about them, and it's just loving constant. It's grating and it's unnecessary. It's just Rocksteady trying to be grim and gritty by throwing curse words every chance they get and it makes the game really annoying to play as a woman.

To be fair, Poison Ivy is a huge bitch. :P I do see your point, although I must admit it really doesn't bother me at all. It's just swearing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

I liked the explanation for the supervillains not knowing Clark Kent is Superman that was posited by Texts From Superheroes.

I choose to believe this is canon.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I kind of forgot to record a challenge video. So before this goes any later, here's a Riddler roundup video. There will be at least two more.

Riddle Diddle Doo/Polsy with CuwiKhons - Interview tape: Catwoman 4

New character bio: Hush

Arkham City Stories: A Cold Start (1), The Cobblepot Feud (5)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I've heard, Hush is actually acting out Jane Doe's shtick in this game.

It's also a nice touch that they got Kevin Conroy to voice him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

So that was a loving long video, I had almost forgotten how long we talked, and among the many things we talked about, this is the one I most wanted to bring up again:

This is Stephanie Brown trying to talk to Riddler who is apparently having a really bad mental health day. Two of the riddles in particular stand out.

Stephanie asks why her father, Cluemaster, left clues to his crimes. Riddler answers "One bug is wrapped in a web, therein to die. Another bug is wrapped in it's own web, therein to be reborn." Cluemaster is the second bug - he started leaving clues because he didn't like the person he was and was trying to be something greater, but Riddler is the first bug, unable to escape from the traps of his own psychological problems and knowing that it's killing him. And of course, the last one Riddler gives, not in response to a question but a demand. Stephanie wants one straight answer, just one. "I am the number you can't count on your fingers." Zero. He can't give her a straight answer, he's just not capable of it. He couldn't even offer her a loving drink without making it a puzzle (and notice that after she solves the puzzle, he has no problem with explaining it to her) much less respond to questions with straight answers. It's why Riddler is my favorite supervillain - he's as much a prisoner of his psyche as others are to his traps.

Then of course, Rocksteady turned him into Jigsaw :rolleyes:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That exchange was as sad as it was hysterical. :allears:

Has there ever been a characterization of the Riddler where he speaks normally, but is extremely careful with his words and laces them with riddles?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 27, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CuwiKhons posted:

So that was a loving long video, I had almost forgotten how long we talked, and among the many things we talked about, this is the one I most wanted to bring up again:

This is Stephanie Brown trying to talk to Riddler who is apparently having a really bad mental health day. Two of the riddles in particular stand out.

Stephanie asks why her father, Cluemaster, left clues to his crimes. Riddler answers "One bug is wrapped in a web, therein to die. Another bug is wrapped in it's own web, therein to be reborn." Cluemaster is the second bug - he started leaving clues because he didn't like the person he was and was trying to be something greater, but Riddler is the first bug, unable to escape from the traps of his own psychological problems and knowing that it's killing him. And of course, the last one Riddler gives, not in response to a question but a demand. Stephanie wants one straight answer, just one. "I am the number you can't count on your fingers." Zero. He can't give her a straight answer, he's just not capable of it. He couldn't even offer her a loving drink without making it a puzzle (and notice that after she solves the puzzle, he has no problem with explaining it to her) much less respond to questions with straight answers. It's why Riddler is my favorite supervillain - he's as much a prisoner of his psyche as others are to his traps.

Then of course, Rocksteady turned him into Jigsaw :rolleyes:

The hard thing about Riddle is that, to do him well, you have to be good at riddles. I couldn't write Riddler in that way because I don't think I could possibly make a character who only communicates in riddles and puzzles, and I've known decent depictions of him that enable him to talk normally. Although this is a great showcase of the Riddler as a Gotham villain--to crazy to function, but brilliant at what he does.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Well yeah, most depictions of Riddler don't have him as quite that bad. He usually can answer questions with straight answers - he just chooses not to. But the "must be good at riddles and puzzles" thing is a definite reason why Riddler is misused and poorly depicted so often.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The implication I got from that is that the Riddler wanted to give her straight answers but wasn't out of some sense of honor to the Cluemaster. once she leaves he says "I can't make sense of your game."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
My favorite Riddler story comes from Dennis O'Neil's The Question run: He's liberated from Arkham because he's just this harmless guy who does riddles.Trying to find a new life elsewhere, he takes a bus with a psycho woman and The Question aboard. The woman takes a liking to him, and they start killing passengers when they don't answer his riddles. The Question then confronts him, and to mess up with him, asks him Zen koans like "What did the face you had before being born looked like?"

Question then knocks out the woman, and while they're waiting for the police to arrive, Riddler asks him what will happen to him. The Question then says that he'll let him go if he answers one of his riddles.

I agree that Professor Pyg is a hoot. First time I read the story he appears in I was like "That was loving disturbing" :gonk:. But it also had a fun moment with Comissioner Gordon, so... :v:

That's something I liked about Grant Morrison's run, with Dick Grayson as Batman: That he tried to give him his own set of crazy, colorful villains. Professor Pyg and the Circus of Crime, Le Bossu, The Flamingo... and in a way, Una Nemo, altough I don't think she's one of his creations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
There is at least one very notable dancing villain in Batman: The Music Meister. I kinda want him to show up in Arkham City, just for a sidequest or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know anything about the Music Meister aside from the fact that Neil Patrick Harris voiced him once and he's been ridiculously popular ever since.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kal-L posted:

That's something I liked about Grant Morrison's run, with Dick Grayson as Batman: That he tried to give him his own set of crazy, colorful villains. Professor Pyg and the Circus of Crime, Le Bossu, The Flamingo... and in a way, Una Nemo, altough I don't think she's one of his creations.

Hell yes, it was fantastic to see some new villains getting made for Batman again. Professor Pyg has shown up since, I think. I dunno about any of the others. Pyg is hosed up though, kind of like an even more disturbing Mad Hatter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Some new Batman villains would be pretty nice. I feel like the writers have run into a bit of a rut with the current gallery (though I do kind of like what's going on with Joker in Endgame at the moment).

To go back to the recently uploaded video, this is another case of sidequests making no sense when the main story is over. If you discovered Hush's stuff during or before Protocol 10, then yes, it'd make sense for Batman to consider dealing with him tomorrow since he was dying and had to stop the missile strike. In the postgame, he just lets a guy with his face walk off to do all kinds of damage to his reputation.

The same holds true for Mad Hatter's sidequest where it's still a quest to drink the cure even though Batman's already taken it. Sure, you could argue that Batman could still use it since it needs to be distributed to Gotham, but there would still be no need for it to be sent into Arkham City for Batman to pick up and inject into his neck.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Riddle Diddle Doo/Polsy with CuwiKhons - Interview tape: Catwoman 4

I love that little moment when Oracle explains the fingerprints. One of those rare instances where even the World's Greatest Detective just doesn't know what the gently caress.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
At this point, I'm expecting the very last video to be a Zsasz roundup.

Nothing else would do the way you've been ignoring it justice.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but since another Deadshot victim was shot in the most recent video, I thought I'd point out how cool it was that Deadshot actually appears at the very beginning of the game without his mask on. Standing in line to enter Arkham City. He informs Bruce Wayne that Bruce is "on his list." And then aims his finger at him and shoots. I think a lot of people miss that reference.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

TheOneTrueKing posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but since another Deadshot victim was shot in the most recent video, I thought I'd point out how cool it was that Deadshot actually appears at the very beginning of the game without his mask on. Standing in line to enter Arkham City. He informs Bruce Wayne that Bruce is "on his list." And then aims his finger at him and shoots. I think a lot of people miss that reference.

I would laugh so hard if there was some throwaway line in the sequel about how Hush was found shot dead in Arkham City for that reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd also like to mention that Bane's ground pound move combos very well with the Multi-Batarang Takedown, since it knocks down a lot of people.

I'm also quite curious as to why Scruffy and Kuwi dislike Batman: Hush. I thought it was a pretty good take on the characters.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 29, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
We are rapidly reaching the end of the base game. GETTING THERE. Today we round up Deadshot, Mr. Zsasz, and the Riddler. This is also every Arkham City story, so if you've been waiting for them to be completed to read them, now is your chance!

Bat-Exhaustion/Polsy with Major_JF - Interview tape: Catwoman 5

Arkham City Stories: The Falcone Family, A Family Business, Wonder City (1), The Abramovici Twins (1), Compulsory Purchase, The Ratcatcher, Brokering Deals, A Sick Plan (1)

Predator Challenge: Top of the World/Polsy with Batman Inc. Batman

Campaign Challenge: Midnight Assault/Polsy with Batman

I'm adding another challenge video since I didn't have one last time.

This is the first extreme challenge I've done for the LP and this is how I'll be doing them. Not doing the maps individually, but doing them as part of the campaigns. I haven't decided yet who's doing the other campaigns but the last campaign will be Catwoman. Discendo Vox challenged me to do Top of the World Extreme as Catwoman and drat if I'm not going to accept. Much like Joker's Carnival is the toughest combat map, Top of the World Extreme is the hardest predator map and I will make it my bitch.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So yeah, Deadshot was working with Hugo Strange. That guy he shot at the beginning of his sidequest was thrown into Arkham City because he set up the relay points for Protocol 10.

Kinda weird they'd have something that's a major hint to something in the main game as an optional sidequest, but whatever.

Also, "Bat Exhaustion" is the best way to describe the Riddler sidequest in this game. 440 Trophies was overkill. Even worse, they lock the interview tapes behind them unlike in the first game, so if you like those and have some trouble with some of the trophies, they're locked off to you. :smith:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That subtitle at the end of the Campaign Challenge made me grin. After all, Batman is certainly a terror that flaps in the night. :mmmhmm:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, when Zsasz is relating his card game with Penguin, Zsasz had 4 sixes... and Penguin had a straight flush 4-5-6-7-8. Which of them was cheating?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Tendales posted:

So, when Zsasz is relating his card game with Penguin, Zsasz had 4 sixes... and Penguin had a straight flush 4-5-6-7-8. Which of them was cheating?

Penguin probably. His house, he could get away with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

An interesting thing to note; the thug around 25 mins in responds to the political prisoner's cry of don't hurt me!' with: 'I can't guarantee that.' Who else says that in the game? Why, none other than the caped crusader himself.

Edit: I agree with your comments that Origins, for all its failings, has a much better story than City. I'd even argue it has a better aesthetic and character design... but I'll wait until you do the LP of that.

Edit edit: I'm pretty sure the 'lightsabre' is a rifle scope.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 1, 2015

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tendales posted:

Maybe they were playing Hold 'em?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Maybe they were playing Hold 'em?

Or Zsasz doesent know how to play cards and couldnt tell Penguin was cheating.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
The Polsy Link to Midnight Assault redirects to Joker's Carnival.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I don't know much about Poker, but I think that it isn't unheard of to shuffle several decks together. Cuts down on the odds of card counting or something, I think?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

OR

Maybe the Penguin was cheating because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Cador_2004 posted:

The Polsy Link to Midnight Assault redirects to Joker's Carnival.

Fixed it!

• Locked thread