Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Song For The Deaf posted:

The results of our Winter Action RPG poll are in... Brave Fencer Musashi

Wow. When you said in an earlier episode (maybe on The Level?) that one game was running away with the poll I thought for sure it would be Mana. I didn't know people liked Musashi that much. Maybe I should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat, I feel really dumb and bad on being not to hot on WOFF earlier in the year. Outside of you guys providing an excellent amount of content to lift to, you keep doing games I really enjoyed when they came out I bought the Xbox just for JSRF. No regrets.

I'll post a GIF later, but this will have to do for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMspbSffmYo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brave Fencer is one of Square's stranger games. The bad food puns, action figure collecting, absorbing enemies for their powers, leveling up by catching rabbits which are tracked by the coiled poo poo they leave around, and one of the jerkiest casts I've seen in a game. Mushashi is a dick, Kojiro is the butt of every joke, the princess wants nothing to do with you, and the guy who handles your saves is flamboyant as gently caress.

I can already tell y'all gonna get a lickin on the second steam factory. As much as I love the game it has some downright mean dungeons.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Then we're rounding out January by dusting off our Dragulas in Jet Set Radio.

God drat but do I love JSR, please take every opportunity to stuff this episode with backing music!

Also I think this is the first Dreamcast game that's been on the show, which is sort of surprising, I guess?

EDIT: Oh my god, the NA version actually had Dragula on the soundtrack? That seems, incredibly inappropriate. And you guys didn't even get Funky Plucker, which seems like a missed opportunity.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 25, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If there's one thing WOFF does properly, it's putting music in the background and using sound clips. You can't underestimate the value of aural variety in a 2-hour podcast between two hosts, it really keeps it from getting stale. So kudos to the editor.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I wanted to vote Musashi, but I was afraid Gary & Kole would hate it and tear my memories to shreds. Time to batton down the hatches, I guess!

But I -HATE- studyin'.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Jet Set Radio has the best soundtrack ever created for a video game.

I also count JSRF when I say this.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Pasco posted:

EDIT: Oh my god, the NA version actually had Dragula on the soundtrack? That seems, incredibly inappropriate. And you guys didn't even get Funky Plucker, which seems like a missed opportunity.

Dragula is one of the songs that plays in the game's second act, which is set in America and has a different kind of musical style/vibe to it. It actually works pretty well how those sections have a very different soundtrack.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Jet Set Radio has the best soundtrack ever created for a video game.

I also count JSRF when I say this.
JSRF has a great soundtrack, but when it comes to the remixed JSR tracks I pretty much universally like the original versions more. Future has a different sort of sound (it's a little bit "colder" to use a bizarre temperature metaphor) and I respect that, but there's something about JSR's bouncy, faintly nostalgic sound that I love more than anything else.

Anything with Hideki Naganuma on it is going to have great music. I like Sonic Rush a lot more than most people and I can't pretend that isn't by and large because of the soundtrack.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 26, 2014

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
The Ollie King OST is amazing, never played the game so I can't speak to how well it matches the gameplay. I like it a lot more than the JSR/F and Sonic Rush though.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

After this we're covering Rock Band. The results of our Winter Action RPG poll are in, and after Rock Band we're covering Brave Fencer Musashi. Then we're rounding out January by dusting off our Dragulas in Jet Set Radio.

After your Tomba episode, I'm really wondering what WOFF's take will be on this one. I got the HD version upon release, and burned myself out after remembering SO MUCH of the game is about perfecting these ultra-specific jumps.

al-azad posted:

Brave Fencer is one of Square's stranger games. The bad food puns, action figure collecting, absorbing enemies for their powers, leveling up by catching rabbits which are tracked by the coiled poo poo they leave around, and one of the jerkiest casts I've seen in a game. Mushashi is a dick, Kojiro is the butt of every joke, the princess wants nothing to do with you, and the guy who handles your saves is flamboyant as gently caress.

I can already tell y'all gonna get a lickin on the second steam factory. As much as I love the game it has some downright mean dungeons.

The worst part about Steamwood is that you have to do it TWICE--and without the benefit of an analog stick.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

bobservo posted:

After your Tomba episode, I'm really wondering what WOFF's take will be on this one. I got the HD version upon release, and burned myself out after remembering SO MUCH of the game is about perfecting these ultra-specific jumps.

I actually came to kind of appreciate the way Jet Set Radio plays. It's not as fluid as you expect/want it to be, and the characters are really weighty in a way that's hard to get a grip on, but once you learn how the boost mechanic works, how to control your momentum, and how to navigate the maps it becomes a lot more manageable and rewarding to get around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For JSR make sure you point out the song Rock It On which features a Public Enemy sample "rock that poo poo homie" and also samples Timothy Leary's "turn on, tune in, drop out" phrase. I don't know if the composer understood the samples or just chose what sounded good but it's a song that completely stands out from the bubblegummy super brothers and power of loves.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

For JSR make sure you point out the song Rock It On which features a Public Enemy sample "rock that poo poo homie" and also samples Timothy Leary's "turn on, tune in, drop out" phrase. I don't know if the composer understood the samples or just chose what sounded good but it's a song that completely stands out from the bubblegummy super brothers and power of loves.

You should hear what he grabbed for the last boss of Sonic Rush.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Sankis posted:

Listening to the latest idle thumbs..

Wasn't it David Cage who said that 2015 was the year of the PS3, not Kaz Hirai?

Nah it was Kaz twice. The press interview I read on the cast was Kaz, as was the followup Chris mentioned. I bet Cage said something similar...

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 26, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Wow

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Hilarious.

I will say the one thing Sega has never been bad at making is music. Sonic the Hedgehog could live on as a series of soundtracks and nothing would be missed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah.

He's the loving best.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

He definitely knew what he was sampling, his English is quite good and I think he lived in the US for a little while. Here's his Twitter, he replies to pretty much everyone: https://twitter.com/hideki_naganuma

Randallteal posted:

I was so glad to find the Bubsy 3D episode for Bonfireside Chat. I spent a lot of time as a kid playing games covered on that show, but Bubsy 3D stands out in my memory as by far the shittiest.

It's crazy that it was released contemporaneously with Mario 64. I don't think it's a great game, but when my sister and I loaded it up on Christmas morning, we probably played it for two or three hours before even entering the castle, just exploring the outside area and marveling at the 3D movement. I had the same experience a few years later with Everquest. The first time I connected and created a character I spent an entire evening just walking around one of the starting towns watching other players doing their business and thinking "this makes all other video games obsolete."

I always loved this particular quote from an interview with the Bubsy creator: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/97672/Playing_CatchUp_Bubsys_Michael_Berlyn.php

quote:

"They had put out Bubsy 2," he said, "and just about killed the franchise. So we came on-board and did Bubsy 3D." That game, one of the first experiments in bringing platform game design to a 3D world, shipped at just about the same time as a little game called Super Mario 64. "I took one look at Mario and said, 'Oh, crap.'" he said.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think it was an issue of PSM or EGM where the editors were talking about how difficult it was to write previews based on unfinished content. They were pressured by the content creators and media managers to be lenient which is why you'd see positive previews about obviously lovely games. The person writing the opinion piece mentioned seeing Bubsy 3D at the first E3 in 1995, blurted out loud the game looked like poo poo, then felt super embarrassed when he realized the lady he was standing next to was the one demonstrating the game.

Crash Bandicoot came out before Bubsy 3D. How did that game pass any kind of quality control other than "there was none."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, to be fair, Crash Bandicoot was made by MIT doctorate computer scientists who broke the PSX over their knee and which observers literally thought had to be fake because graphics like that just couldn't be done.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

If there's one thing WOFF does properly, it's putting music in the background and using sound clips. You can't underestimate the value of aural variety in a 2-hour podcast between two hosts, it really keeps it from getting stale. So kudos to the editor.

Thank you! We take turns editing and I like to think we're both pretty good at that.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Can someone suggest me a gaming podcast that primarily covers news and releases with as little hosts trying to be funny and deep chats about the industry as possible? I've got enough cult of personality podcasts and am completely tired of complaining about the industry.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think one actually exists. Probably because it would be maybe 20 minutes long and boring as hell.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This week on Press Release Digest...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Objective game chat, by gaters for gaters.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Can someone suggest me a gaming podcast that primarily covers news and releases with as little hosts trying to be funny and deep chats about the industry as possible? I've got enough cult of personality podcasts and am completely tired of complaining about the industry.

There is a lot money to be made on "feed IGN reel into Microsoft Sam" startup.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gamespot/IGN probably. Although I have no idea what they are like these days.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Gamespot/IGN probably. Although I have no idea what they are like these days.

Does GameSpot even have a podcast anymore? The last one I know of was gameplay and that one is done.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rebel FM used to iirc, but it was mainly Gies soapboxing the best soapbox that ever boxed some soap. I'd just buckle down and listen to Giant Bomb like the rest of us; you'll occasionally get game news and a wide range of new hobbies. I'll even sell you my tortilla press on the cheap.

Barring that, see if you can sweet talk All Things Considered to do a gaming segment. I'd listen to that just to see how they managed to do it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Major Nelson, except that he inevitably spends way too much time talking about meetups at Five Guys every time there's a trade show.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Warbird posted:

I'd just buckle down and listen to Giant Bomb like the rest of us

He's not gonna do this but it still bears repeating: do not do this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

I'd just buckle down and listen to Giant Bomb like the rest of us
"I want a minimal bullshit games news podcast"
"Just listen to this one that's four hours long, three of which are about a manchild's eating habits."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please.

These days it's only two hours and 50 minutes long.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was just thinking today while listening to the GOTY stuff that I really do loving hate Dan and Alex and want to swirly them both and long for the days when the podcast was Brad/Jeff/Vinny/Ryan or same + Patrick

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dan's ok. I full on hated him at first, but he grows on you like a rash or non-malignant tumor. I agree with you on Alex though. I never really had an issue with him, but his demeanor's been pretty lovely lately. Patrick is fine when he isn't being preachy or holierthanthou, but that's pretty rare. He strikes me as the sort of person that would ironically wear a "#fireklepek" tshirt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's wrong with alex?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tae posted:

What's wrong with alex?
He's kind of a try-hard douche and his greasy-rear end hair makes we want to shower every time I see him in a video.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I like Alex. He's a little snarky and has a sort of nervous energy that might put some people off, but he's super smart, is funny on Twitter, and writes very well.

Dan seems like a nice guy, and to some extent he's doing a schtick. The problem is, I don't see the appeal of a "narrow-minded white guy in his 20s/30s who can only quantify things as cool or fun and whose entire frame of reference is video games and action movies" schtick when that's 90% of the industry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is way, way, way better than what he used to be. Hanging out with Vinny has definitely lightened him up. Sometimes he gets a bit intense, but not everyone is perfect. I'm really excited for the GBEAST bombcast to start up, though I hope they decide to skype Patrick in for it. Just Vinny/Alex might work, but it's always better with 3-4 people.

Also the videos he and Vinny do are great, he's fantastic when he's got someone to play off of next to him. Same goes for Patrick, which is why his content's been poo poo for ages except when he's hanging with the Iron Galaxy crew or occasionally doing something interesting like his Spelunky streams.

edit: Dan is far more of a persona than anyone else on the staff. While he genuinely believes a lot of the nonsense he spouts, he also says a bunch of stuff just to rile people up. The problem is when he doesn't know when to turn the gimmick off, or says something genuinely stupid/ignorant and you start questioning what's real and what's an act. His TSA tweet was probably the worst of that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the guy who stays silent during wrestling conversations, who is that guy?

• Locked thread