Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

The Iron Rose posted:

That's what happened to me when I put my old HDD in my y410p :shrug:

I freely acknowledge that I don't really know much but that's what worked for me and that's what folks in a variety of online tech communities told me when I asked similar questions.

I missed the part about the broken optical bay though, that's indicative of something for sure.

the bios boot menu only shows the samsung and network options (ipv4 and ipv6) - no other drives shown. Is there any way tor repair the physical damage myself?

edit:: just removed the optical drive again and put in the ultrabay hard drive. This time it showed up in windows. The only thing I might have done different is switch a hardware lock on the bottom of the laptop - it's by the battery and I guess it locks the ultra bay into position.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I am still extremely happy with my 2013.5 MBA 13". No faults yet. Thanks for the rec.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I didn't get it recommended by this thread, aside from the "if you want a good laptop under $600, buy used Thinkpad", but I did just get a T420 :420: to replace my Asus piece of crap cheap laptop. I haven't had it for a while, but everything about it just oozes sturdiness and competence, and it can handle modern games with okay framerates (so far just Skyrim and Dark Souls) on the Nvidia NVS 4200 it's got inside of it. I paid $350 for it, including shipping--which might have been a little high, but it's so much more feature-rich than my old piece of poo poo $300 new laptop.

And it came with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, which is easily worth a little extra cost.

If you're like "hmm, I dunno if I want a used thinkpad for my on the couch/in bed machine" go ahead and do it, these things are pretty rad, even if they look like the sort of computer a boring dad uses.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
Thinkpads are great, and the T420 is still a very capable machine considering that processing power hasn't improve that much in laptops since the release of Sandy Bridge in 2011. Battery life is another story, but not everyone needs crazy Haswell battery life (which is awesome to have if you need it). For that price at least you got the Nvidia GPU. I hope you also at least got it with a 1600x900 screen and/or an SSD.

I've actually regressed from having an X220 Tablet, by fitting a T61 base with a T60 LCD display assembly, palmrest, keyboard and keyboard bezel. It was all for that 1400x1050 4:3 screen. And the BIOS mod to get SATA II SSD speeds and CPU upgrade makes it closer to a modern laptop.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I guess thinkpads are the way to go. Are most linux friendly. I don't want to spend days getting everything working.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How has people's experiences been with the yoga 2 pro? Seeing some i7/8gb models of those barely over $1000 now. Got about $1200 max to spend. Looking for something moderately powerful with a touchscreen I can put a Linux distribution on and can fold into either a tablet or "tent" mode to save space when I don't need the keyboard. Don't care much about gaming beyond hearthstone and league of legends on it but will use it for coding projects for school for graduate level math/stat stuff.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Zerilan posted:

How has people's experiences been with the yoga 2 pro? Seeing some i7/8gb models of those barely over $1000 now. Got about $1200 max to spend. Looking for something moderately powerful with a touchscreen I can put a Linux distribution on and can fold into either a tablet or "tent" mode to save space when I don't need the keyboard. Don't care much about gaming beyond hearthstone and league of legends on it but will use it for coding projects for school for graduate level math/stat stuff.

I have a yoga 2 pro the i5. It is great. I haven't loaded Linux on it yet.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I had the yoga 2 pro for about a week before I returned it. It was a pretty good machine but the one I had which was produced in September still had that yellow tint issue. Once I saw it, I obsessed about it. I actual like the keyboard and the trackpad. You can easily uninstall the junk that comes with it. The i7 version was very smooth and didnt notice any lag. Would have been a keeper if not for the tint issue.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lostleaf posted:

I had the yoga 2 pro for about a week before I returned it. It was a pretty good machine but the one I had which was produced in September still had that yellow tint issue. Once I saw it, I obsessed about it. I actual like the keyboard and the trackpad. You can easily uninstall the junk that comes with it. The i7 version was very smooth and didnt notice any lag. Would have been a keeper if not for the tint issue.

The tint should be totally fixed in software now, afaik by decreasing total brightness and boosting red and blue. You might have uninstalled the Lenovo utility that does this, though. I think it is the power manager/profile thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think I'm pretty sold now on trying a yoga 2 pro once I find the best deal I can on one. Starting grad school this fall and looking for something that will last me until I finish my phd.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Basch lives. posted:

Thinkpads are great, and the T420 is still a very capable machine considering that processing power hasn't improve that much in laptops since the release of Sandy Bridge in 2011. Battery life is another story, but not everyone needs crazy Haswell battery life (which is awesome to have if you need it). For that price at least you got the Nvidia GPU. I hope you also at least got it with a 1600x900 screen and/or an SSD.

Yep, came with the good screen, and also it's still under warranty, which I'm going to make use of since I've found some issues with the screen (intermittent dead pixels--they only show up rarely, but I want it fixed for good.) I also want to see if I can get Lenovo to send me some factory restore disks, just in case I need them.

The battery life isn't bad either, at least 3-4 hours just doing internet bullshit.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 27, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Djeser posted:

The battery life isn't bad either, at least 3-4 hours just doing internet bullshit.

That is pretty bad compared to anything modern.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty excited to see what a modern T450 with a Broadwell or Skylake chip in it and some giant 9 cell battery is capable of.

I still get about 3.5 hours out of the extended battery on my x230, but it's also 2.5 years old at this point with many discharge cycles.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just on three hours on my similar age T430s now, that's at fairly high brightness as the screen is so dim anyway.

My comparatively tiny HP 820 G1 does more like seven and a half hours of the same usage so it us impressive how far we've come in a single generation of processors (sure I know the HP is a ULV model but really it's plenty fast enough for anything that'll run on a dual core)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

My previous modern laptop had about a four-hour charge, but it was a terrible laptop in many other ways, so it's very likely the battery life was terrible.

Also, a year after I'd bought it, the battery was only holding a charge of about 30 minutes.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

NLJP posted:

My brother is going travelling around Asia and is looking for a laptop to take along.

Prime things are of course that it shouldn't be too heavy and have a good battery life. Being able to take the battering of travel would also be handy. He would also prefer a full sized keyboard.

Being able to play CK2 or the likes would also be a plus, though definitely not looking for a gaming laptop or advanced 3D graphics.

He does have an irrational dislike of Macbooks but also isn't wanting to spend what a proper Macbook would cost.

What would be the consensus?

This is from a few pages back, any advice? He used to travel with a lenovo t420 from work which he no longer has access to. Just straightforwardly go for the newest one?

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

Just on three hours on my similar age T430s now, that's at fairly high brightness as the screen is so dim anyway.

My comparatively tiny HP 820 G1 does more like seven and a half hours of the same usage so it us impressive how far we've come in a single generation of processors (sure I know the HP is a ULV model but really it's plenty fast enough for anything that'll run on a dual core)

Haswell battery life is the business, especially with those ULV processors; 2-3W idle with 6-7W under load like youtube gets 7 hours easily. Compared to my X220 Tablet which struggles to get 5 hours; 6.5-8.5W idle and 12-15W under load. Skylake will be quite the thing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm rather more 'meh' about battery life, but considering I rn a y50 at full brightness while browsing I suppose I can't complain that I only get 2 hours. I just, frankly, loathe anything less than full brightness on laptops.

My chromebook by contrast runs for so long I lose track of how much longer the battery will last so that's nice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So my brand new y50 is :krad:, but what's the deal with the SSHDD? What... IS it? It's got two partitions, one labeled "C" that's about 850gb and one that's 20-ish GB and labeled "lenovo". What's the relationship there? What's "Lenovo" for?

Oh, and is it possible to make the right- and left-click areas on the Trackpad into touch-sensitivity deadzones?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

DoctorWhat posted:

So my brand new y50 is :krad:, but what's the deal with the SSHDD? What... IS it? It's got two partitions, one labeled "C" that's about 850gb and one that's 20-ish GB and labeled "lenovo". What's the relationship there? What's "Lenovo" for?

That's where the Chinese Communist Party backdoor is stored. Or it's a recovery partition or some crap like that.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, Lenovo is a recovery partition (I don't know why they allocated nearly 25GB of my SSD to it when they're using less than 3GB).

The Lenovo partition has nothing to do with the hybrid-ness of the drive, that's essentially a really big cache you can't see, which tries to figure out what things get loaded the most and keep those things cached so they load at SSD speeds. (According to an article I read it takes a couple of days of use before you start seeing the hybrid being any faster than a regular HDD).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the amount of what goes in the recovery partition grows as you own the laptop; windows updates, drivers, etc

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, Lenovo is a recovery partition (I don't know why they allocated nearly 25GB of my SSD to it when they're using less than 3GB).

The Lenovo partition has nothing to do with the hybrid-ness of the drive, that's essentially a really big cache you can't see, which tries to figure out what things get loaded the most and keep those things cached so they load at SSD speeds. (According to an article I read it takes a couple of days of use before you start seeing the hybrid being any faster than a regular HDD).

Can I safely assume that the SSD-cache will focus on keeping boot-times to a minimum? And how big is said cache?

Anyway, I really like the "running lights" effect on the keyboard. It looks like a toaster! I also dig the "convex" angled aspects of the design, especially the lid - puts me in mind of the original DS.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a ~$400 laptop that will play Dragon Age: Inquisition at high? I'd also like to emulate PSP and PS2 games.

I already have a Yoga 2 Pro (with integrated graphics) so I literally have no other needs than gaming. Maybe it makes more sense to delve into the used market for this sort of thing instead.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I am interested in what you find.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Is there a ~$400 laptop that will play Dragon Age: Inquisition at high? I'd also like to emulate PSP and PS2 games.

I already have a Yoga 2 Pro (with integrated graphics) so I literally have no other needs than gaming. Maybe it makes more sense to delve into the used market for this sort of thing instead.

I don't think so, you'll have to bump things down quite a bit. Also the generally appalling quality of displays in that price range means that graphics quality is a bit moot - no matter what settings its on the picture is going to look like garbage.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I cant imagine a $400 laptop that can play DA:I. Hell a number of desktop configurations struggle to run it at high settings. Seems like it is a pretty demanding game.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vegetable posted:

What you want doesn't exist

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I have been shopping around for a new laptop for school+games and have settled on the y50, but the i7's are sold out from Amazon. Does this happen often and do they often restock quickly? I need it before the 12th since my old machine had mostly died on me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vegetable posted:

Check Ebay for a y410p Lenovo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zerilan posted:

I think I'm pretty sold now on trying a yoga 2 pro once I find the best deal I can on one. Starting grad school this fall and looking for something that will last me until I finish my phd.

Are you sure you can't get funding for a computer from your program? It's worth waiting if you can get it paid for from your future advisor's grant or something, plus you can splurge on an 8GB / 3 year warranty type of addition that might not be worth it with your own money.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where's the cheapest place to buy a Y50? The models all look basically identical, it's hard for me to tell them apart, but the ones directly from Lenovo seem cheapest.

I've already got an SSD so I don't care about the storage, I'm guessing there's no difference in the 2GB Video card vs the 4 GB video card, and an external DVD burner would be nice but not really necessary.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Is there anything like http://isthereanydeal.com/ for laptops? I'd like to wait for some offers on the thinkpad t series, but don't have the will to check everyday.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Use the B&N gold link in the OP, or check their outlet site, I think their pricing is done by 12 year olds, there are some nutso deals on new items from time to time, plus their scratch and dent stock looks newer than most like new/mint stuff on eBay. My buddy has bought four or five laptops that way and has never been disappointed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

My mother's been using her early 2010 macbook air for years now and it's getting seriously long in the tooth. Her work is giving her $760 CAD to spend on a new piece of technology, which can include a computer. She can put the $760 towards anything and pay on her own dime above that. I think sticking with apple would be easiest for her but if there's a competitive windows alternative that's an option too.

My mother also only has one properly working arm and can't lift anything heavy, so nothing above 3-3.5ish pounds which basically means ultrabooks. The lighter the better. I'm assuming a macbook air is the best option here? She's a law professor and types a lot of papers and the like, so a good keyboard and screen is a must. I think the 13 inch air with the better resolution is superior here? It has a 1440x900 resolution, while the 11 inch has 1366x768 and it galls me a little to buy the latter resolution in TYOOL 2014. She doesn't have the best eyesight though so maybe the 1366 resolution would be a good thing too. I'm not sure. Is the macbook air the best option here? If so, 11 inch or 13 inch? Are there alternatives we should look at?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

MacBook Air's are seriously sweet machines, and if she's willing to spend $500 extra then I would not hesitate to recommend getting another. Especially since she's used to the OS.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DNK posted:

MacBook Air's are seriously sweet machines, and if she's willing to spend $500 extra then I would not hesitate to recommend getting another. Especially since she's used to the OS.

It's actually only $999 in Canada for the 11 inch air and $1099 for the 13 inch so I think we're going to go with that! any recommendations for the size? Also I doubt she'll need it but are there any essential upgrades to get either?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I wouldn't buy an Air nowadays unless battery life is the only consideration - the 13" Retina Pro is only slightly bulkier and more expensive and has a much, much better screen.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Does she use the trackpad on her Air? She probably not going to enjoy using any other trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Iron Rose posted:

It's actually only $999 in Canada for the 11 inch air and $1099 for the 13 inch so I think we're going to go with that! any recommendations for the size? Also I doubt she'll need it but are there any essential upgrades to get either?

For sure get the most ram and storage you can afford, can't upgrade after the fact. I wouldn't buy a new machine with less than 8Gb. This means, the middle option on apple's site.

As the dood above says though, once you look at the price post upgrades, you're almost at the price of a Macbook Pro, which has a way better screen.