Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SnowblindFatal posted:

Sorry, Hammerfight.

Owns

Seriously, if you somehow haven't played it yet it usually goes on sale for pennies because it's old and been in a bunch of bundles. And it's really, really good once you turn mouse sensitivity way up.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if only you could mod out the gigantic loving explosive barrels that both trash you from half a screen away and cause a massive ringing in your ears

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Persian/middle eastern mythology would be cool. I'd need to do a lot of research but oh well.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

ImpulseDrive posted:

drat. I check this thread daily, but I keep getting CoQ blocked.
Just put it up on Steam Early Access already, so I can buy your stuff. Please let me give you money, Unormal!

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

Couple of other questions: A vampire stole one strength from me and I used a potion of strength to try to get it back but now my character screen shows "Str 6 = 3 +1 -1 +3", so I think I've just got a temporary buff, is restoration the only way to get it back properly?
And, the Greatsword of Saithnar "draws wraiths to your level", how does this get worked out? Is it a roll per turn I have it equipped or once I use it will that level be spawning wraiths indefinitely regardless of how long I hold onto it?

Those potions give you a temporary buff, and also restore stat drain on that stat. So, it's a good way to recover from draining, although you'll want to use them as combat buffs too.

Saithnar spawns 'W' enemies as long as you have it equipped. It also has undead slaying so you don't need to worry about this very much. It's an extremely strong weapon.

For 1000' I'd say try to find a weapon of sharpness, because you'll want it to pry a silmaril off morgoth's crown. Angrist is best for this and it's also the "canon" way of doing it. Also get a decent amount of will, and at least 1 source of free action (stacking it can be good). Morgoth has some nasty tricks he can use on you. I like song of freedom because it gives free action, closes pits, removes rubble, and opens doors. You'll appreciate all of those effects.

Song of slaying is really good in the throne room because it has a shitload of troll guards. If you can fight groups of those in melee (with herbs of rage, usually), you can get a huge slaying bonus. This is maybe the easiest way to kill morgoth in melee, although I wouldn't suggest this for your first win. If you do this you'll wake everything up, and the various uniques on the level can be more dangerous to you than morgoth himself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desideratus posted:

Just put it up on Steam Early Access already, so I can buy your stuff. Please let me give you money, Unormal!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

Hah, yeah, working on it. You need at least a few preliminaries that actually take some production, like a trailer, though. (...also for it not to be riddled with horrifying bugs from the Unity port, though those are dropping by the day.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Hah, yeah, working on it. You need at least a few preliminaries that actually take some production, like a trailer, though. (...also for it not to be riddled with horrifying bugs from the Unity port, though those are dropping by the day.)

yeah, I noticed the stealth christmas day patch. Didn't mean to put you to work right then when I reported it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've stayed up all night playing rogue likes before, but last night is the first time I ever stayed up making one.
:yayclod:

Poison Mushroom posted:

My stated goals are a low barrier for entry, transparency of mechanics and information, and interesting decisions on the macro and micro scale.

It's running on the very simple "everyone gets so much energy each turn and you can't act until it's filled back up" system that a lot of better games use. Part of the conceit is presenting this mechanic as a "stamina bar" that fills up.

The one major "twist" is that I'm implementing facing, a la FF Tactics. Turning takes a small amount of stamina, so attacking in the direction you're already facing is slightly faster. Incoming attacks from the side ignore shields, and attacks from behind do that as well as doing more damage and knocking off a bit of stamina. The idea is to make positioning very important, and to reward sneak attacks and clever tactics.

My question is this: Am I reinventing the wheel here? Are there other rogue likes that do one or both of these things, but better?
The question "does any other game do this?" is almost always answered with "yes." followed by "who cares?" Do what you think is cool, blend ideas in the way you want them to blend, and make what you want to make. Even if this is some project you work on for two weeks over winter break and then leave in a folder for a year, you want to make sure you spent that time writing cool poo poo you liked without giving a drat about what other games may or may not do.

do it do it do it do it do it do it. maek gaem.

My unsolicited suggestion to you is to make shields protect you from the front and the left or right depending on handedness.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are ambushes in Dungeonmans supposed to be way overpowered? I was doing pretty good with my starting 16/12/15/15 fightermans then got ambushed on the world map and oneshotted by some red bee.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

dis astranagant posted:

Are ambushes in Dungeonmans supposed to be way overpowered? I was doing pretty good with my starting 16/12/15/15 fightermans then got ambushed on the world map and oneshotted by some red bee.
Bloodstrike Buzzers are high level bees. If this happened around the Academy, something is broken, but if this happened out in the wild, you should take care when you're exploring areas that are Heroic and Legendary as marked by the map.

Edit: That sounded a little cavalier, I also meant to say that dmans is currently suffering from a little too much 1-shot potential from high end monsters. "Roguelikes!", sure, but it's kinda bullshit and will be tamped down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

yeah, I noticed the stealth christmas day patch. Didn't mean to put you to work right then when I reported it.

Man, there was more than one Christmas Day patch, at least for us Mac users. Unormal is a beast.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Bloodstrike Buzzers are high level bees. If this happened around the Academy, something is broken, but if this happened out in the wild, you should take care when you're exploring areas that are Heroic and Legendary as marked by the map.

Edit: That sounded a little cavalier, I also meant to say that dmans is currently suffering from a little too much 1-shot potential from high end monsters. "Roguelikes!", sure, but it's kinda bullshit and will be tamped down.

I just find those goddamn hookshotters are deadly to my non teleporting characters if I open the wrong door :( (game owns)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

It happened in the wild right around the far edge of adventurous dungeons I think. I was out looking for one that wouldn't auto win at level 6. Had a bunch of tough worm dudes (heroic) and after I killed them I wandered into the bee and died.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 27, 2014

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Persian/middle eastern mythology would be cool. I'd need to do a lot of research but oh well.

Or you could just fake it like 99% of everyone else. It's your world!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, there was more than one Christmas Day patch, at least for us Mac users. Unormal is a beast.

Too much socialization the whole day hosting Christmas for huge family + friends, forced retreat to codecave to lick wounds and recuperate. :gonchar:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

madjackmcmad posted:

I was getting randomly wrecked by champion enemies until I decided to try a Bannermans. Banner of tankiness + shield + heavy armor lets me shrug off blows from almost any enemy, and gives enough time to drink a few potions for the rest. The perk that gives instantaneous potion drinking has been super clutch as well. I'm tempted to splash Bannermans on most characters in the future, having the ability to prevent being moved by enemy abilities has saved my rear end many times.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just bought Dungeonmans. Belated Christmas gift to the devs, and I look forward to trying it out! :toot:

e: oh also there's a thread for it too, rad.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
When is Caves of Qud out on Steam again? I can't wait to play it on my macbook. :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Olivil posted:

When is Caves of Qud out on Steam again? I can't wait to play it on my macbook. :(

Probably be a couple weeks, at least, before it hits Early Access though you can always try to grab some codes here or on my twitter (https://twitter.com/unormal) as we induct internal tester waves.

e:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rolled a rangermans and about fell asleep holding the f key til things quit moving.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I've never played caves of qud but all this activity has me interested. Is there a definite goal? Can the game be beat or is it sandbox style?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happylisk posted:

I've never played caves of qud but all this activity has me interested. Is there a definite goal? Can the game be beat or is it sandbox style?

There's a major questline, you can reach the end of what's implemented, though the storyline isn't finished-as-envisioned yet. It tells you very obviously when you reach the end of implemented content. It will take you many, many hours of game-play to get to that end.

e: On Savage, the red slimes pack a whollop!

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Happylisk posted:

There's a main questline that isn't finished but lasts several dungeons. There's also a bunch of sidequests you can wander around and find. Every single world map tile has assorted caves and ruins under it if you really run out of things to do.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Thanks for the help, this was my first character to get past 400'. I got lost trying to go back up from 950' and unexpectedly ended up in the throne room, expected to get stomped but I managed to stealth down to Morgorth, slay ten trolls and take a simaril before running up one of the side passages back to the stairs. Exchange places saved me several times in those corridors. I made it up to 850' and had to go down to escape him and then he eventually caught me on my second 850' in a dead end, earthquaked to close out the exit and killed me as I dug for freedom. What a stressful game, I've just realised I had ~6000 unspent XP and one more potion of constitution I could've fallen back on too. I'm gonna need a break before I play this one again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I am seriously loving the look of those tiles on qud.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

I am seriously loving the look of those tiles on qud.

FYI, It's already live for anyone who's got a Steam copy. A pretty substantial amount has been tiled already, just flip this on:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

FYI, It's already live for anyone who's got a Steam copy. A pretty substantial amount has been tiled already, just flip this on:

Tiles revert to letters when you target enemies. The amoebas and dreadroots are hard to distinguish from floor tiles.

e: Steamqud DEVOURS my processor today. 70% processor time just sitting in Joppa, with or without tiles.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 27, 2014

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
CoQ:
Not sure if these are known bugs, but I figure there's no harm in reiterating:

1. If you attack an enemy embedded in the wall on the edge of the screen (e.g. a Jilted Lover), attacking the enemy results in the "Building Zone" message being displayed and the game pausing for a moment. Assuming that Jilted Lovers work by occupying an empty space until defeated, at which point they turn into wall, my guess is that during movement, the game checks if the PC is moving into a new area and calls the appropriate code before it checks if there's any enemies in the way.
2. Hitting yourself with an attack can cause you to briefly turn hostile. To yourself. As far as I know, this is only a cosmetic effect, though I could see certain kinds of status effect causing the PC to attack himself.

As a more general observation, I've noticed that inventory management feels clunky. Individual actions on items is tolerable, but sub-menus make it a pain to act on multiple items at once (e.g. dropping an old set of armor after finding a new, better one). This is noticeable in the context of traditional roguelikes, where shift-commands usually make bulk interactions easy and efficient, if not intuitive. Of course, putting everything in menus and sub-menus does wonders for the interface as a whole, so perhaps the key is to simply grease the menu system with a couple UI tweaks. I'd suggest a couple things. For one, you could make it so double-tapping an item's letter brings you to the item's submenu, instead of making you tap the letter then the space key. In addition, you could make item letters persist within an inventory section, making proceeding down a list a bit easier to do.

dis astranagant posted:

e: Steamqud DEVOURS my processor today. 70% processor time just sitting in Joppa, with or without tiles.
I'm having the same problem; maybe it's Unity.

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 27, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Uh...

I bought Dungeonmans.

It's now 4am.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Sproggiwood bug or something: in the shop when I click on the scroll bar and pull it down, the shop doesn't scroll, the bar needs to be pulled up for the shop to scroll down.

e: it's also a lot of fun and charming and makes me think I would try your ASCII game

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Uh...

I bought Dungeonmans.

It's now 4am.
Thank you! :tipshat:

Swing by and fill the dmans thread with your stories of adventure and/or bugs.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Time for me to jump on Dungeonmans as well, now that I've beaten Sproggiwood. (Fantastic little game by the way Unormal. My favorite class is Thief I think, although I'm also very fond of the Archer and Farmer.) I know next to nothing about it other than all the glowing praise I've read in this thread, so I'm looking forward to embarking on a journey of discovery and dismemberment.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
There is a Southern Gentlemans class, that's all you really need to know

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Playing Dungeon of the Endless, for the first time.

Sara and Gork don't like eachother very much. Kind of BS you can lose a character inbetween floors that way, but I suppose I can just avoid that in the future...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
[CoQ Steam 12-27-2014]
*More tiles
*Enabled vsync
*Tapping a letter on the inventory screen when it's already selected will display it's menu
*Added some missing keys to the default keymap
*Fixed some mismapped tile colors
*Fixed tile detail colors being rendered when out-of-sight
*Fixed look picker flashing the glyph when tiles are enabled
*Changed tile option default to yes

e more patch:

[CoQ Steam 12-27-2014]
*More tiles
*Fixed skulk injector rendering
*Fixed night-vision rendering
*Fixed forcefield rendering
*Fixed stasis field rendering
*Fixed pyro and cryo zone rendering
*Fixed heightened hearing and sense psychic rendering
*Fixed 'always highlight stairs' rendering
*Fixed the small crack's rendering

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 28, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
need to play CoQ with tiles
hnnggggh

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

madjackmcmad posted:

Thank you! :tipshat:

Swing by and fill the dmans thread with your stories of adventure and/or bugs.

I got attacked by two purple dogs at 840 health and after an attack from each I had 40 health and was bleeding like crazy and died the end.

I am currently one shotting scrobalds for like 340 damage with my legendary lion something sword radiant sharded and nnrrrggghhh this game is so good.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Is there any way to teleport in sil? Getting pincered in a hallway by some nasty poo poo on 700 feet killed my best char yet. Do I just need to learn exchange place? Also, does there come a point where you just dive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Happylisk posted:

Is there any way to teleport in sil? Getting pincered in a hallway by some nasty poo poo on 700 feet killed my best char yet. Do I just need to learn exchange place? Also, does there come a point where you just dive?

One of the coolest things about sil is there's no such thing as teleport, because it helps make positioning really, really important and forces you to think about where to move. Hallways can be deathtraps, unlike other games where you want to do most of your fighting in them. The AI will try to flank you too.

For diving, sometimes it makes sense to dive past the levels where cats spawn, because they are horrible. But it can be a good idea to linger on 900/950' for loot+consumables until the timer runs out and it forces you into the throne room.