Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
So hey, I was told this was worth giving it its own thread, so here we are. A Digimon general.

The biggest news is that we have the announcement of Digimon Adventure tri., the new anime series and the sequel to Digimon Adventure.

So far, details on the plot are sketchy at best, and all we know is that it takes place when Taichi is seventeen and will air in the "Spring". The confirmed staff thus far are:

Character Design: Atsuya Yuki
Series Composition: Yuuko Kakihara
Director: Keitaro Motonaga

The other stuff we have coming down the docket include "Digimon Story: The Cyber Sleuth" for the Vita. So far, no US release has been confirmed, and judging by the recent track record, it probably won't be. It's a sequel to the Digimon Story (better known as "Digimon World DS" in the west) series, though it uses the character designer and even characters from the recent "Digimon World Re:Digitize" games.

Here's the latest trailer. Summary from the Digimon wiki:

quote:

The Protagonist gets curious after hearing rumors of hackers in the streets, and one day receives a device named "Digimon Capture" from someone he/she met in an online chat room, then travels to the lowest layer of Cyberspace to gauge the rumor. But because of a sudden malfunction in the system, part of his/her mental data is corrupted, resulting in his/her body becoming a half-digitized Data Body. The Protagonist then awakens with the special ability Connect Jump, which allows he/she to travel between the Real World and Cyberspace EDEN through terminals.

Aside form that, "Digimon Allstar Rumble" was released recently in the west. It's sort of a Power Stone/Mascot fighter hybrid including characters from "Adventure", "Tamers", and "Xros Wars", though the setting is completely original. General consensus is that it isn't very good. The second season of the dub of Xros Wars, "Digimon Fusion", is also on the docket, and will likely cover the "Death Generals" episodes of the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
also, each week, the Digimon Reference Book updates with a new profile. I'll post the translations people do here for those who are interested. Here's the last three (keep in mind there's a margin of error):

quote:

SaviorHuckmon

After going through many bouts of bloodshed on its long journey of continuously encountering and parting with Digimon, it has evolved into this form. It often tries to intervene in the military disputes that take place incessantly in the Digital World, seeking ceasefires, and it comes to the rescue of any nearby Digimon that are wounded. Even though the results aren't always successful, the tears SaviorHuckmon shed as the miserable scene plays out only makes it stronger, and it then becomes more eager than ever to help out the next Digimon that gets injured. It has covered itself with aggressively-designed blades from head to foot, with both of its legs taking on the form of blades in order for it to walk on 2 feet, and a crimson blade forming on both of its hands and tail. The crystal on its chest is one that proves its power has been refined and that it hasn't missed an effort in doing so. Its special attacks are "Rage Strayed", wherein it jumps and stabs the blades on its feet into the enemy with the posture of its kick, and "Meteor Flame", wherein it emits a rapid-fire of flame bullets from its mouth in the manner of a machine gun, completely burning down the enemy. Its "Trident Saber", wherein it slashes the enemy with the three red blades both its hands and tail are equipped with, mercilessly cuts apart even those enemies that are wearing Chrome Digizoid armor.

quote:

Jesmon

When the crystal in Savior Hackmon's chest began to shine, it surpassed perfection and assumed its ultimate form – a Holy Knight Digimon who has earned the title of "Royal Knight", the highest rank of Network Security. It is endowed with the ability to sense the unusual phenomena and signs of chaos that occur all over the Digital World, and is the first of any of the Royal Knights to come running. It is said that rather than acting independently, it plans coordinated responses with nearby Digimon and the Sistermons. Its high aptitude for teamwork, even compared to other members of the Royal Knights, comes from its ability to trust in others and avoid becoming overconfident in its own abilities. By studying its teacher Gankoomon’s “Hinukamuy,” Jesmon was able to create 3 similar beings through its own training: “Atho”, “René”, and “Por”. They move on Jesmon’s command but can also operate freely; in addition, they boast the ability to perform many other impressive feats, such as directly attacking enemies, covering for Jesmon, or protecting other Digimon. Jesmon’s Special Moves are using high-speed movement to cut opponents to pieces in an instant with the blades on its arms (Tekken Seibai) and countering opposing attacks from all directions with the 9 blades wielded by “Atho”, “René”, “Por”, and itself (Schwertgeist). Its ability “Aus Generics” allows it to temporarily rewrite its own data and surpass the laws of physics, meaning Jesmon's physical capabilities are not limited by the laws of the Digital World - as such, all enemies will fall before it without even leaving a scratch.

quote:

Boogiemon

A weird Demon Man Digimon. A lot of tattoos representing wicked spells are embedded in its body, but it seems that it can only use a certain number of them for each incantation. When it comes to fighting in battle, this coward doesn't fully reveal itself, but instead it always ambushes enemies in the darkness by attacking them suddenly. Its special attack is "Death Clash", wherein it stabs the enemy with the three-pronged spear it holds in its right hand.

SaviorHackmon and Boogiemon's profiles translations are credit to Wildermon of the With the Will forums. Jesmon comes from Wikimon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Wait, Cyber Sleuth is a sequel? As in, actual universe sequel, or gameplay wise?

Because I'll admit, the DS games had perhaps one of the more interesting variants on the general setting - in that humans are already aware of the digital world, and in varying scales, creating a settlement - but it was very clearly limited by a lack of scope and budget. I know some of Cyber Sleuth's details overlap, but I hadn't thought it might go that far.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
It's not an in-universe sequel, I don't think. If anything, it's probably a sequel to Re:Digitize due to the presence of an actual character from that game.

It's a sequel in that it uses the same gameplay mechanics.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not an in-universe sequel, I don't think. If anything, it's probably a sequel to Re:Digitize due to the presence of an actual character from that game.

It's a sequel in that it uses the same gameplay mechanics.

Gotcha. I was curious since I know Re:Digitize was effectively a remake of Digimon World, but primarily in how it built the battling and levelling system, rather than the main plot and story details. I'll confess to actually being quite preferable to DS' system - if it weren't for the sheer amount of grinding you have to go through to make it work, I'd actually call it one of the best around for a franchise like Digimon. Anything is viable with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
the more outright digimon rpgs are especially grind heavy when you think about it. DW2, DW3, and the Story/World DS games are especially bad at it in different ways.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Here's to hoping they completely ignore S2.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
02 was the most successful digimon series. I profoundly doubt it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

My bets personally are that it'll be either a fully canonical 'interquel' series, detailing what happened after Myotismon was defeated, but prior to the reunion several years later, or that it'll form some kind of alternate timeline that follows maybe some but not all of the canon that's been established. A bit like how the two 02 films themselves vaguely fit the mold of what the series had established up to the respective points they came out, but its rather to precisely label how and where the heck they're supposed to be able to fit in canon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I significantly doubt it'll be an interquel, given Taichi is explicitly older than he was in 02

EDIT - oh wait, I completely misread you. sorry.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 27, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hoping for the same so that it means we see a world where Digimon are commonplace. Have their 2005 be technologically similar to our 2015 thanks to literally having pet data.

IIRC one of the production crew was behind the Persona 4 anime and another is directing the Persona 3 movie, so i'm guessing we're gonna get something somewhat similar, the cast all dealing with a mostly normal real world where strange stuff happens thanks to everyone having Digimon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I significantly doubt it'll be an interquel, given Taichi is explicitly older than he was in 02

EDIT - oh wait, I completely misread you. sorry.

No worries, admit it was a bit weird a way to put things.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hoping for the same so that it means we see a world where Digimon are commonplace. Have their 2005 be technologically similar to our 2015 thanks to literally having pet data.

IIRC one of the production crew was behind the Persona 4 anime and another is directing the Persona 3 movie, so i'm guessing we're gonna get something somewhat similar, the cast all dealing with a mostly normal real world where strange stuff happens thanks to everyone having Digimon.

That's where the 'similar but not quite' aspect of things could get especially interesting.

See, one of the plot points of 02 that I liked, though I think wasn't properly executed upon, was the whole idea of more and more children around the world getting partner digimon. That's something substantive and potentially transforming on a social level, but the story is mostly after the fact in terms of any of the new digidestined actually meeting their partners, and having to overcome the issues of responsibility, friendship, and all the other stuff that the original 7 mainly had time for because they got stuck in another world and had little else to do. If Tai has to be some ambassador between humans and the digital world, I'd much rather see it in the capacity of having to seek out and tackle situations where someone has gained their partner and may not know entirely how to handle it, rather than... going to the UN on the behalf of an entire alternate plane.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

02 was the most successful digimon series. I profoundly doubt it.

Really? Why? It was so boring after Ken's arc. And I say that as someone who likes MaloMyotismon's design.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

SSNeoman posted:

Really? Why? It was so boring after Ken's arc. And I say that as someone who likes MaloMyotismon's design.

I dunno man. But it got the best ratings, the most tie in merchandise, made the most money.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno man. But it got the best ratings, the most tie in merchandise, made the most money.

If I had to make a guess? The series was extremely toyetic with much more to advertise to kids, and being the sequel series, landed at a point where you both had fans of the original willing to coast on through, but also the first new wave of fans who would have started with 02 and thus didn't have Adventure for an original point of comparison. In the west, Saban had its proven winner in Adventure and thus would have been willing to promote the new series hard as well, compared to later series - some of which didn't even get released in all the usual markets (Frontier didn't freaking air here in the UK). In a way, though the franchises didn't actually compete as much as some fans would like to think, its much of what happened with Pokemon getting Gold and Silver. The first title proved successful, thus the sequel was pushed with many having hype and interest up due to little or no prior disappointment established in the franchise beforehand, and the reputation of the first game courted new players. Where Gold and Silver managed to secure Pokémon's throne, taking everything the first generation did and improving upon it for a result that is widely regarded as one of the best sequel releases of all time, 02 soured many people's trust in the franchise, making it harder to convince them to hang around for the subsequent releases. Its like how its not so much the first good impression that's important, but rather, the second. The second is what guarantees consistency - and without that, it becomes harder to put in certainty.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, a Digimon thread!!! :neckbeard:

Digimon was the first anime I really liked back on middle school. Just a lot of good memories from the series. Digimon World was a fantastic time sinker, Rumble was pretty good for a licensed fighter and Digital Card Battle was the tits (hell, my email adress is lifted from that game).

TFRazorsaw posted:

also, each week, the Digimon Reference Book updates with a new profile. I'll post the translations people do here for those who are interested. Here's the last three (keep in mind there's a margin of error):

SaviorHackmon and Boogiemon's profiles translations are credit to Wildermon of the With the Will forums. Jesmon comes from Wikimon.

Holy Hell, we have a new Royal Knight? :stare:

The different factions and lore is one of the main reasons I like Digimon better.

Anyways, why's the hate towards 02? I really liked and is sort of a tradition to me rewatching it once a year.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Because the second half of 02 isn't very good. Ken should have become an Eggmanesque rival who helps beat other bad guys because only he can conquer the world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rodyle posted:

Because the second half of 02 isn't very good. Ken should have become an Eggmanesque rival who helps beat other bad guys because only he can conquer the world.

How is that better? :psyduck:

Having him as ally makes for a better narrative in my opinion. And frankly, outside of Magnamon I never found the Digimon Emperor arc that interesting, I prefer the Yukio Oikawa/World Tour Arc.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The best part of the Digimon Emperor arc was when he limply kicked a puppy and did a weak little evil chuckle. It was the most :effort: villainy and it was great.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like the second season because DNA digivolving is super dumb and there wasn't a whole lotta Kabuterimon

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't notice it until it was pointed out, but is anyone else bothered by Sora and Hikari having the exact same faces in the promo picture for Tri? I wasn't really feeling the art before, and now I think I know why.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out, but is anyone else bothered by Sora and Hikari having the exact same faces in the promo picture for Tri? I wasn't really feeling the art before, and now I think I know why.
Go watch Tsuritama.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wasn't really interested in Digimon past season 2, so hearing they're making a sequel to it has me a bit interested. I don't really know very much about how the series really is these days, how are the other seasons?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Momomo posted:

I wasn't really interested in Digimon past season 2, so hearing they're making a sequel to it has me a bit interested. I don't really know very much about how the series really is these days, how are the other seasons?

Watch 3 and a few loops of the gif of the dude from 5 punching a line of venommyotismons down like dominoes. Other than that gently caress it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

Most people claims that the third season (Tamers) is the best of the bunch, I didn't think it was that good. Frontier was really loving weird (the kids turn into Digimons) and one of the lowest points of the franchise. Savers was really loving good, Xros Wars was quite the leap but still entertaining while it's sequel Young Hunters is utter poo poo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I liked Tamers and Savers a lot because having most of the action takes place in the human world from the get-go is more compelling than having in what amounts to generic fantasy world. Savers is especially fun because the protagonist is the most shounen lead ever.

I found Xros Wars pretty dull, because they largely did away with the traditional evolution stuff. The Transformers-esque combiners and new Super Saiyan evolutions just make for some really boring Digimon designs.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Strange Quark posted:

I liked Tamers and Savers a lot because having most of the action takes place in the human world from the get-go is more compelling than having in what amounts to generic fantasy world. Savers is especially fun because the protagonist is the most shounen lead ever.

I found Xros Wars pretty dull, because they largely did away with the traditional evolution stuff. The Transformers-esque combiners and new Super Saiyan evolutions just make for some really boring Digimon designs.

I like Xros Wars when it acts unique with its premise and gives some interesting looking designs. Like their version of the Greymon family, for example, which both looked interesting and like the Digimon involved were fusing.

I felt they really dropped the ball with the lead. Shoutmon's fusions are just different Megazords and it gets really boring really fast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone has read V-tamer? By far my favorite story on the whole franchise, Taichi is such a great tamer and Zero is on of the best digimon parters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Adventure 01 was pretty good, 02 was meh, Tamers is easily my favorite. Frontier had promise, but by like halfway through the series it completely invalidated all but the two male leads. As all of the other ones had to give their power to them. Man gently caress Frontier. Savers worked for a while. but I got bored with it. Haven't seen any series after Savers.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Sorry ya'll but Adventure 02 loving owns. It's just kinda...different from how Tamers owns. While Tamers tells a great story and is mostly serious, 02 is just so loving weird at times that it wraps back around. It's easy to let nostalgia blind you to the fact that everyone is actually really well characterized and they all act pretty consistently (even if in Davis' case that doesn't always mean much). The english dub also makes the show a LOT better, I have no idea why there are people that insist on seeing digimon in the original Japanese because the dubs are what give them a lot of their flavour and fun. Part of that in 02 is seeing how Ken becomes an actual kid again, balancing the weight of his "oh god I did genocide how do I make this right" with the more down to earth "hey how do I friends" which helps make that plot and arc a lot more palatable, both when watching it as a kid and when going back as an adult to make Ken more relatable.

And then there's Davis. His arc of well meaning doofus into a moron so massive that Azulongmon's reaction to the first time Davis talks to him is "Oh. You must be Davis. I have to go now."

Frankly, if you don't like 02 then you just plain don't like stupid fun. It's not high art, it's not going to change your life. It's Digimon. Have fun and enjoy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
on the other hand 02 had an episode in which davis was terrified of friendship for some reason

and an episode where kairi nearly got made cthulhu's bride and this was never referenced again

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Frontier had promise, but by like halfway through the series it completely invalidated all but the two male leads. As all of the other ones had to give their power to them. Man gently caress Frontier.

Haha go back and re watch that poo poo. in the first few episodes of a Digimon show you usually get each character having their episode where they save the day, frontier does this differently. Even when the others get their Digivolution moment the Male lead comes in to loving save them. No that show is bad from go and honestly only gets better when the other characters stop trying and just give the leads their power, That's a pretty common thing in Digimon .

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

Sorry ya'll but Adventure 02 loving owns. It's just kinda...different from how Tamers owns. While Tamers tells a great story and is mostly serious, 02 is just so loving weird at times that it wraps back around. It's easy to let nostalgia blind you to the fact that everyone is actually really well characterized and they all act pretty consistently (even if in Davis' case that doesn't always mean much). The english dub also makes the show a LOT better, I have no idea why there are people that insist on seeing digimon in the original Japanese because the dubs are what give them a lot of their flavour and fun. Part of that in 02 is seeing how Ken becomes an actual kid again, balancing the weight of his "oh god I did genocide how do I make this right" with the more down to earth "hey how do I friends" which helps make that plot and arc a lot more palatable, both when watching it as a kid and when going back as an adult to make Ken more relatable.

And then there's Davis. His arc of well meaning doofus into a moron so massive that Azulongmon's reaction to the first time Davis talks to him is "Oh. You must be Davis. I have to go now."

Frankly, if you don't like 02 then you just plain don't like stupid fun. It's not high art, it's not going to change your life. It's Digimon. Have fun and enjoy it.

I disagree. I distinctively remember being like 13 and noticing the show got progressively more toyetic and uninspired until I was hoping it would just end already. Over a decade later I still routinely enjoy cartoons full of cliches made to sell toys to both adults and children, but the creators are trying to do something fun with them instead of phoning it in.

If D02 had been "stupid fun" consistently and endearingly, I'd probably be defending it right now, but it felt more like a soulless cash grab the longer it went on.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 28, 2014

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Paper Lion posted:

The english dub also makes the show a LOT better, I have no idea why there are people that insist on seeing digimon in the original Japanese because the dubs are what give them a lot of their flavour and fun.
I enjoy the English dub for Digimon a LOT, but the dub also had a lot of really troubling characterizations. This was mostly just with Mimi, and it also had a lot to do with the whole 90's thing of "girly girls = 'bad; tomboys = good" that was prevalent at the time.

Either way, I'm not gonna say that the English version is horrible. It's probably one of my favorite dubs out there, but I still take a lot of issue with some of the characterization of some of the characters.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

02 is on the low range of my seasonal favourites, but I do still have some fond memories, and can remember distinct moments that really did appeal. At the very least, it had a number of good concepts behind it that, even if not always properly executed, still occasionally showed their strengths. What if a digidestined used their powers for evil? What if people around the world starting gaining digimon en masse? Wouldn't there possibly be factions outside the heroes and whatever the current main villain is?

At the very least, the Magnamon fight has never left me. I really do like how they never invoked that again past the one time - which considering how it still lingers as one of the more popular digimon from that time, is surprising restraint on their point.

Frontier is a mixed bag for me. Personally, I feel its introductory episode is one of the strongest in the franchise, and much of what follows also fairly good, but as mentioned its weighed down by an increased creep towards over-emphasizing the red and blue duo, starting with kill stealing in people's own spotlight episodes, to rendering the rest of the cast effectively cheerleaders whilst they go fight. Add in the frustration that the Royal Knights arc tends to amount to - I can appreciate the concept of this nigh-unstoppable foe, but still - and its a noticeable drag towards the end. Which is weird especially considering that they had more than enough lore to work with to give all the main cast upgrades - which thankfully, they learnt from for Savers. Man, Savers was awesome, even if sometimes too limited by it budget, but it starts getting... odd, after a while. Like, you can tell that its the series where they trying to more deliberately tap in the various ranges of lore that Digimon had, beyond piecemeal or spontaneously created chunks, but you can also feel a lack of a full committal on stuff. The Demon Lords are established, and even one of them shown to be a massive threat, but none of the others appear. The Royal Knights turn up a more complete group, and in the actual function of the Royal Knights, but there's notable absences among the group. And of course, Yggdrasil, god of the digital world, who... apparently isn't actually that important to running the place in the end (though admittedly I think only the Next manga has actually tried to carry some weight with that).

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone has read V-tamer? By far my favorite story on the whole franchise, Taichi is such a great tamer and Zero is on of the best digimon parters.

Man, V-Tamer. I loved reading that, and occasionally go back to it. Its flawed, sure, but when it got going, it was...

100% awesome! (I'm sorry).

Also I just realised, but isn't the Olympus Twelve complete now? That feels like one of most interesting plot possible concepts that the franchise has had but never particularly done anything major with.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NE5F6k3XCc

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy Hell, we have a new Royal Knight? :stare:

we have all thirteen now.

In order of introduction:

Omegamon
Magnamon
Dukemon
LordKnightmon
Dynasmon
UlforceV-dramon
Alphamon
Craniummon
Sleipmon
Examon
Duftmon
Gankoomon
Jesmon

likewise they finished up the Olympus Twelve. There are no more extant digimon groups to reveal other than the particulars of the Crack Team.

quote:

Like, you can tell that its the series where they trying to more deliberately tap in the various ranges of lore that Digimon had, beyond piecemeal or spontaneously created chunks, but you can also feel a lack of a full committal on stuff. The Demon Lords are established, and even one of them shown to be a massive threat, but none of the others appear. The Royal Knights turn up a more complete group, and in the actual function of the Royal Knights, but there's notable absences among the group. And of course, Yggdrasil, god of the digital world, who... apparently isn't actually that important to running the place in the end (though admittedly I think only the Next manga has actually tried to carry some weight with that).

I want to comment on this. The Royal Knights weren't fully formed when Savers was ending, and the only absence of a member already introduced was Alphamon, and his silhouette was in the opening. They obviously wanted to do more with the Knights, but considering the final arc is more than a bit rushed due to the scheduling and budget allotted a weekly animated series by Toei, they obviously had to cut that stuff short.

The Demon Lords however... man, I couldn't really disagree more. Look at every digimon series up until that point (before Xros Wars muddled that all up by having Lucemon be an underling); every time one of the Demon Lords appears in animation, they're a force unto themselves. Even if Demon ended up being wasted as a character, he showed up and made an impact. Likewise, Lucemon and Beelzebumon were huge players in their respective series.

When Savers was airing, there was a clear idea that even just one of the Demon Lords showing up in series had to be a big deal.

The Demon Lords getting mentioned as part of Belphemon's back story is just that; context to explain where he came from. We didn't need more of them on account it'd be distracting from Belphemon's importance as an enemy and the weight of Kurata's plans.

As for Yggdrasil, I don't know what you mean. It was never destroyed or left its job fully, it just decided it was wrong and decided to take a more passive role in the fate of the Digital World. There's being the server that maintains the DW, and there's setting oneself up as a god and ordering around your own ultra powerful army to wipe out other civilizations.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 28, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

we have all thirteen now.

In order of introduction:

Omegamon
Magnamon
Dukemon
LordKnightmon
Dynasmon
UlforceV-dramon
Alphamon
Craniummon
Sleipmon
Examon
Duftmon
Gankoomon
Jesmon

likewise they finished up the Olympus Twelve. There are no more extant digimon groups to reveal other than the particulars of the Crack Team.

Man, now I want a SMT-esque story with a conflict between the Royal Knights and the Seven Great Demon Lords, with the Olympus Twelve as the neutral party that could tip the balance of power, if they could be courted.

Edit: On the Demon Lord matter, I apologise if I may have given the wrong impression from being a bit too succinct. Whilst I still feel that maybe there was an opportunity they could have to use them more (especially considering the video games of the time do use the idea, so it must have been floating around Bandai at the time), of the various lore aspects that Savers taps into, its certainly the one handled best. There's a definite weight to how its treated - maybe that's why they just stuck to the one, rather than how the games spewed them out as just a set of boss fights.

And I'll admit, I may be misremembering on Yggdrasil. The last few episodes didn't leave the strongest of impressions, so if I'm wrong on how the final battle ultimately played out, sorry.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Masaru punches Yggdrasil.

They end up in a white void.

Yggdrasil goes "well, you beat me. Guess there's something to you humans after all. Guess I'll see what happens."

More or less.

quote:

Man, now I want a SMT-esque story with a conflict between the Royal Knights and the Seven Great Demon Lords, with the Olympus Twelve as the neutral party that could tip the balance of power, if they could be courted.

It's not the Demon Lords, but Bandai's own storyline has been basically talking about a clash between the digital world the Olympus 12 rule over (Illiad, controlled by a separate computer named Homeros), and ours, so there's potential there.

It probably won't really be TOLD in any capacity outside of website blurbs, iOS games, and profiles, but there's enough interesting ideas there.