Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Welp, guess I done got told.

E: In my defense, the jokes were really unfunny.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

He just knows he can do better. :smug:

Uhhh...What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Finally, back to Waifu Wars, the only thing that REALLY matters.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Uhhh...What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Look, he can either be the stay-at-home husband/personal chef of a king or the breadwinner/student of a poor mage.

He's just being prudent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rin is an ojousama and a tsundere she is the height of waifuability.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Rin is an ojousama and a tsundere she is the height of waifuability.

Yeah this.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She also looks good in glasses, what more do you want.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Drills, suplexing, ohohoho, and money oh wait

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
The true romance tiers are Fate (Realta Nua) > UBW (Realta Nua) > Heaven's Feel > UBW > Fate; with Heaven's Feel (Realta Nua) not in the standings because I haven't finished it yet.

Saber's original scenes were some of the worst in the story while her RN scenes are some of the best, Rin works better as a supporting protagonist than a heroine, and Heaven's Feel is about all-consuming love so Shirou/Sakura being super physical at least made sense.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I've played through the non-Realta-Nua F/SN like a year and a half ago, watched Zero, the loving awful DEEN adaptation, and the latest cour of the new UBW adaptation. I'm now unfortunately drawn to check out more of the Fate-specific Nasuverse stuff, are any of the other VN's/other stuff any good at all or should I just do a second play through with the Realta Nua patch?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Carnival Phantasm

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Mederlock posted:

So I've played through the non-Realta-Nua F/SN like a year and a half ago, watched Zero, the loving awful DEEN adaptation, and the latest cour of the new UBW adaptation. I'm now unfortunately drawn to check out more of the Fate-specific Nasuverse stuff, are any of the other VN's/other stuff any good at all or should I just do a second play through with the Realta Nua patch?

Get it on it

Scrree fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 28, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fate Extra, it has two great Servants to pick from in Red Saber and EMIYA.

E: play Hollow Ataraxia first though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also read Apocrypha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Fate/Extra is good and you can play as a girl and fall in love with rin, which is what my fanfiction has been about for ten years

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not into waifu's/rapey stuff, purely romance-based stuff, or blatant fan-service/fan pandering kinda stuff at all. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to avoid when it comes to anything VN related, but the less I have to deal with, the better. As a result I have absolutely zero interest in Carnival Phantasm, but F/HA looks interesting enough so I'll check it out and maybe take a crack at Realta Nua after if I'm not Nasu'd out by then. Looks like Aprocrypha's translation is only finished up to Volume 2 chapter 2, is it even worth playing up till that point?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mederlock posted:

I'm not into waifu's/rapey stuff, purely romance-based stuff, or blatant fan-service/fan pandering kinda stuff at all. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to avoid when it comes to anything VN related, but the less I have to deal with, the better. As a result I have absolutely zero interest in Carnival Phantasm

:frogout:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mederlock posted:

I'm not into waifu's/rapey stuff, purely romance-based stuff, or blatant fan-service/fan pandering kinda stuff at all. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to avoid when it comes to anything VN related, but the less I have to deal with, the better. As a result I have absolutely zero interest in Carnival Phantasm, but F/HA looks interesting enough so I'll check it out and maybe take a crack at Realta Nua after if I'm not Nasu'd out by then. Looks like Aprocrypha's translation is only finished up to Volume 2 chapter 2, is it even worth playing up till that point?

I don't think you actually know what Carnival Phantasm is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mederlock posted:

I'm not into waifu's/rapey stuff, purely romance-based stuff, or blatant fan-service/fan pandering kinda stuff at all. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to avoid when it comes to anything VN related, but the less I have to deal with, the better. As a result I have absolutely zero interest in Carnival Phantasm
Canrival Phantasm isn't any of that. It's just jokes. Some of the jokes miss, most of them land.

The closest it gets to any of that is a dating sim based gag, and, well that is a bad joke, but it's being played for laughs and not an actual attempt at fanservice. It's not like it's a fanservice series, it's a comedy series.

Speaking of, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is 90% comedy, dating sim stuff, and fanservice, and 10% actual plot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well he might mean fanservice in the seldom used non-titty sense, in which a crossover joke series does count

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

The closest it gets to any of that is a dating sim based gag, and, well that is a bad joke, but it's being played for laughs and not an actual attempt at fanservice. It's not like it's a fanservice series, it's a comedy series.

I don't think you can reasonably argue that it's not fan pandering though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

well he might mean fanservice in the seldom used non titty sense, in which a crossover joke series does count
in that case he definitely shouldn't play f/ha

it's literally a game where everyone except Kotomine is alive because Reasons and they all get dumb gags like Shinji referencing Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei for five minutes because his VA was in that

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, seeing Kotomine in action this week really has me hyped for Heavens Feel. I just wish ufotable had more chances to animate unarmed fighters because they do a drat good job of it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For the longest time I put off Carnival Phantasm because I also had zero interest, but then I watched it and I realized what I was missing out on.

Watch it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

in that case he definitely shouldn't play f/ha

it's literally a game where everyone except Kotomine is alive because Reasons and they all get dumb gags like Shinji referencing Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei for five minutes because his VA was in that

Cake Attack posted:

well he might mean fanservice in the seldom used non-titty sense, in which a crossover joke series does count

I meant it in both senses, so ugh. Since you guys seem to be into it so much I'll give Carnival Phantasm the 3 episode test, but unless F/HA is like, really good, I'll probably just skip it. But if Fate/Extra is a game with an actual plot that's interesting, and F/Ha has somewhat important backstory to it, then I don't mind suffering through it. I mean I suffered through Muv Luv to get to Muvluv Alternative so I do have a pretty high bullshit filter.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
For F/HA, ask yourself this

"Do you care to find out what happened to FSN Lancer's killed master and a somewhat short plot about her" and I mean -short-. the entire thing is "pick and choose funny scenes" and when it hits nighttime you get a short thing for the actual plot of the game.

A lot of the gags in Carnival Phantasm are also a mix of things from FHA as well as acknowledging fandom jokes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The plot stuff in F/HA is legit great (Bazett is the best :colbert:) and some (most?) of the funny stuff is legit funny. I did not care for the fanservice much.

Also more of the truly important characters: Taiga-Sensei, Mitsuzuri, and those three girls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
F/HA has some interesting parts to it but it's, again, 90% silly scenes. You could make the argument that it fleshes out the characters some, and there are a few beats like Rider and Lancer telling stories about their pasts, but it's nothing you can't live without seeing and it's just their myths and legends through the type-moon veneer.

The 10% plot is fairly interesting and explains a few plot holes in F/SN, but it's pretty short - on its own it'd be 2-3 hours long, maybe - and requires playing through the 90% silly/goofy stuff.

Fate/Extra has its own plot and the characters are all pretty likable but a lot of it gets lost in weird metaphysics, and it's pretty definitively Not Fate/Stay Night, or Fate/Zero, for better or for worse. The gameplay isn't that great, either, it's just extended Rock-Paper-Scissors-Spock.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Carnival Phantasm's easy to digest even if you're not familiar with Tsukihime/Melty Blood so it's not like you're suffering through anything bad. It's 80% Fate jokes anyways and the eps are short.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the grail gameshow joke alone justifies carnival phantasm's existence

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the grail gameshow joke alone justifies carnival phantasm's existence
actually youll find that its the grail grand prix

also that scene where they play the ilya castle minigame from f/ha

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im downloading carnival phantasm right now

before you get on my case for not having watched it before, let it be known that i was watching other anime and playing jrpgs instead

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

im downloading carnival phantasm right now

before you get on my case for not having watched it before, let it be known that i was watching other anime and playing jrpgs instead

Godspeed.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

The plot stuff in F/HA is legit great (Bazett is the best :colbert:) and some (most?) of the funny stuff is legit funny. I did not care for the fanservice much.

Also more of the truly important characters: Taiga-Sensei, Mitsuzuri, and those three girls.

If it's legit funny then it's already enough for me to deal with my hangups about the totally arbitrary stuff, so I guess I'll check it out.

Compendium posted:

Carnival Phantasm's easy to digest even if you're not familiar with Tsukihime/Melty Blood so it's not like you're suffering through anything bad. It's 80% Fate jokes anyways and the eps are short.

Like Fate/Stay Night, I only checked out Tsukihime and not it's spinoffs.

Endorph posted:

Fate/Extra has its own plot and the characters are all pretty likable but a lot of it gets lost in weird metaphysics, and it's pretty definitively Not Fate/Stay Night, or Fate/Zero, for better or for worse. The gameplay isn't that great, either, it's just extended Rock-Paper-Scissors-Spock.

I like weird metaphysics a la the Infinity series of VN's and the parts of the I/O VN that I played, is it that kind of weird metaphysics or something else entirely?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
It's in a similar boat to those games (from what I remember, anyway, I only played a bit of Ever17, unless 999 counts) but way less complex and involved than that. If you muddled through those, it should be smooth sailing.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Carnival Phantasm is really funny and great you should definitely watch it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Carnival Phantasm was ok at best. Some of the jokes were funny, a lot of it fell flat for me though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I watched Carnival Phantasm for the first time last week, and regretted not having watched it sooner. I immediately made my friend watch it because it is a gift that deserves to be shared.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The hanafuda minigame in Hollow Ataraxia is oddly compelling, too. Pity it never got any reference in Carnival Phantasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shyrka posted:

The hanafuda minigame in Hollow Ataraxia is oddly compelling, too. Pity it never got any reference in Carnival Phantasm.

I completed all the routes in it. :shepface: What a strange thing to get such a huge amount of detail in a VN.