Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Even on very easy, Dungeon of the Endless isn't exactly easy...

It took me nine tries before I beat it. My ending combo was Sara/Elise/Mizi/Joleri. It gets real stingy with how much dust it gives you on the last few floors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Yessh :flashfap:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

need to play CoQ with tiles
hnnggggh

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I played one round of Dungeonmans and died ignominiously to some kinda scrobold boss in the first dungeon but I am already in love with this game. I am not sure what I was expecting from a game called 'Dungeonmans' but I was taken completely off guard by how gloriously silly it is. It seems unlikely that "stremf" or "real armor" will ever fail to make me chuckle a little.
btw i died because i specced into bannermans for that one thing that makes the mans weak to getting arrowed, cast it on the boss, and then didn't have enough stamina left to jump away when he came to club my face in. oops. :doh:

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I finally read enough dungeonmans post to buy the game. Looking forward to the rest of the day

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Add me to the "finally caved and bought Dungeonmans" crowd.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo unormal I have like 30 steambux let me buy CoQ on steam plz

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Turtlicious posted:

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
My dungeonmans story: I was rocking with a two-handed fightermans, had wiped the first couple dungeons and was feeling pretty cocky. Then I visited a town and talked to an old weirdo who tried to sell me end-game weapons for tens of thousands of gold pieces (i had like 8), so I insulted him and he summoned a giant swarm of angry super-leveled bees that killed me so brutally on my next turn that the game crashed.

Game owns.

e - happily, since the game crashed, i was able to reload in the town. The bee man is gone though o_O

Tax Inductions fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I started Sproggiwood today and was disappointed it was more of a Mystery Dungeon game than a classic roguelike. Is there a sort of roguelike/hardcore mode that gets unlocked if you beat it, and if not is something like that going to be added in the future?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thug Lessons posted:

I started Sproggiwood today and was disappointed it was more of a Mystery Dungeon game than a classic roguelike. Is there a sort of roguelike/hardcore mode that gets unlocked if you beat it, and if not is something like that going to be added in the future?

Judging by earlier Unormal posts yes, there will be a Savage mode that will be quite a bit harder.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Turtlicious posted:

I'll never play it but I'll throw you steambux for all the hilarious stories I've read about it.

fe: Until it has Good Tiles.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I've played like 5 minutes of CoQ but just thinking about it makes me want to draw tiles for it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

megane posted:

I've played like 5 minutes of CoQ but just thinking about it makes me want to draw tiles for it.

You should start doing that now, and post the results in this thread.

Arts.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'll never play it but I'll throw you steambux for all the hilarious stories I've read about it.

fe: Until it has Good Tiles.

Oh sure, sure, now it doesn't just need Tiles it needs Good Tiles! :freep:

As far as Sproggiwood, we're working on Savage mode, which really ramps up the tactical challenge (with across the board behavioral changes and population differences, not just HP/Damage++). However, we've got another idea which was closer to the request, which is a continuous-play/infinite-dungeon mode based on the final-boss which will fill the more "traditional from scratch play each time" niche. However, that won't show up till after Savage mode ships.

If anyone wants to help make awesome 16x24 two-color tiles for Caves of Qud (we're basing it on http://oryxdesignlab.com/product-sprites/ultimate-roguelike-tileset, but adding white detail color pixels as well), we would be fantastically happy to contract your work into the game for cash money if we like it.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 28, 2014

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Will you be allowing custom/usermade sprites?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

Will you be allowing custom/usermade sprites?

Yeah.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Oh sure, sure, now it doesn't just need Tiles it needs Good Tiles! :freep:

An immutable law of customer interactions, which is also why there will never be auto explore or click to move in Dungeonmans. It's never enough. I'd end up with reviews like "I can't believe the auto-pathing 'algorithim' prioritized picking up the two handed hammer before the two handed sword when my play history has shown a clear preference for edged weapons. 1/10 No-Buy, here's a link to the torrent."

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

A continuous dungeon would be nice, but even the campaign could work with a single life, especially if combined with consolidated item types.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thug Lessons posted:

A continuous dungeon would be nice, but even the campaign could work with a single life, especially if combined with consolidated item types.

I'd kind of rather do a purpose built single-dungeon crawl if we were doing that. We could just descend through the campaign dungeons, but I'd want to make it more traditionally roguelike. Add some more procedural item and monster variety, maybe you find mushroom shopkeepers/etc. Not promising anything here, but it's what I'd imagined. Sproggi's accidently opened magical portal of doom. Maybe once we get CoQ/Savage & Mobile Sproggi out of the door we can do some prototypes.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

madjackmcmad posted:

An immutable law of customer interactions, which is also why there will never be auto explore or click to move in Dungeonmans. It's never enough. I'd end up with reviews like "I can't believe the auto-pathing 'algorithim' prioritized picking up the two handed hammer before the two handed sword when my play history has shown a clear preference for edged weapons. 1/10 No-Buy, here's a link to the torrent."

Auto-explore DLC?

I'll throw you another $5 for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

I'd kind of rather do a purpose built single-dungeon crawl if we were doing that. We could just descend through the campaign dungeons, but I'd want to make it more traditionally roguelike. Add some more procedural item and monster variety, maybe you find mushroom shopkeepers/etc. Not promising anything here, but it's what I'd imagined. Sproggi's accidently opened magical portal of doom. Maybe once we get CoQ/Savage & Mobile Sproggi out of the door we can do some prototypes.

No, no, once you have those the next thing you work on is the CoQ/Sproggi crossover DLC.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, no, once you have those the next thing you work on is the CoQ/Sproggi crossover DLC.

Oh god, the sheep jumped through a portal and into a Golgotha vent. :(

Sproggiwood 2: Sproggi gets (Eyeless King) Crabs

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
God help me my Beguiled jelly buddy learned Pyrokinesis and Temporal Fugue from levelling up and now every fight it explodes into ten of itself and all of its clones immediately die in an inferno and explode into smaller time clones that make a bigger inferno they loving burned down Golgotha I can't get the waydroid what do I doooooo :supaburn:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are there any plans to port Sproggiwood (or Dungeonsmans) to iOS?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are there any plans to port Sproggiwood (or Dungeonsmans) to iOS?

Yeah, Sproggiwood is going to Android and iOS early next year. That's our current Sproggiwood tech-side project.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Yeah, Sproggiwood is going to Android and iOS early next year. That's our current Sproggiwood tech-side project.

Do you have an intravenous coffee drip plugged into you at all times?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Do you have an intravenous coffee drip plugged into you at all times?

Yes, yes I do. It's Keurig and Nespresso branded.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

The obvious solution to this is to make hammers edged weapons though

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

Ah, I was wondering if there was an autoexplore button in dmans. Guess that answers that! Haha. At least there are 'go to nearest up/down staircase' keys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking as someone who hasn't played with autoexplore (so clearly my opinion is valid :v:), I can't help but feel like a game where autoexplore is valuable and not self-sabotaging is one that doesn't have a sufficiently high rate of player decisions. Or, equivalently, an awfully empty map.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't played with autoexplore (so clearly my opinion is valid :v:), I can't help but feel like a game where autoexplore is valuable and not self-sabotaging is one that doesn't have a sufficiently high rate of player decisions. Or, equivalently, an awfully empty map.

Dungeon Crawl?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always wondered if Auto-explore would be good with "Do you want to pick up <item>?" and the ability to say "Don't show me poo poo weaker then X"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Auto-explore has a more complicated relationship with maps than people think. It's entirely possible for terrain to be largely meaningless when there are no enemies in sight, but to become relevant once you're retreating through it or using abilities that interact with the environment.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Every game I've played that included autoexplore, (DCSS, ToME4, Brogue, Caves of Qud), it worked fine. Never perfectly, and never as well as an experienced player would, but it well enough to be usable.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Every game I've played that included autoexplore, (DCSS, ToME4, Brogue, Caves of Qud), it worked fine. Never perfectly, and never as well as an experienced player would, but it well enough to be usable.

lol if you can't perfectly implement a solution to the traveling salesman problem to add autoexplore to your game

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress me, I'm never gonna see Morgoth in Sil, much less try to steal a Sil from him. Got the Glaive of the Sirion (free Opportunist and Zone of Control), found loads of cool items, took out three uniques in a single fight without needing to heal...and then I round a corner into Duruin, who kills me in two hits (from 49 HP) because I wasn't smart enough to make a dwarf mask at the 100' forge :negative:.

Is there any advice on how to survive in the middle floors (since that seems to be where most of my deaths are, with the exception of one guy who dove to 700' and died to an earthquake)?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

lol if you can't perfectly implement a solution to the traveling salesman problem to add autoexplore to your game

"Perfectly" here doesn't require solving TSP, it requires reading the player's mind. If you have a solution for that I'm all ears. :allears:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Auto-explore has a more complicated relationship with maps than people think. It's entirely possible for terrain to be largely meaningless when there are no enemies in sight, but to become relevant once you're retreating through it or using abilities that interact with the environment.

Auto explore allows me to feel like I'm traversing a huge world (because I am), but not get bored if I need to backtrack through that world or if there are stretches without interesting encounters (which is totally fine if you have AE, absolutely poo poo if you don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's more complicated than that - in travelling salesman you know the whole graph. If you want to walk on every square, it is the canadian traveller problem, if you want to just see every square it's something closer to set cover(if you had unlimited controlled teleport) or the warehouse location problem(assuming you have to walk there as normal).