Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

That... Would make sense, haha. I guess I never bothered leveling anything up too much because I'm massively indecisive about my loadout.

I can now confirm my assumption. Once you level up something enough to unlock an ability there's actually a tooltip that pops up and tells you that's how things work. So I guess a good thing to do is look for things with ???? Abilities and level them up to see what they are. I don't even bother with parts that have no abilities now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Quick mechanics question for the Z series: all those powers and Ace Bonus that reference other team members and adjacent pilots, like Kei's Z3 ace bonus, do they count subpilots?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Quick mechanics question for the Z series: all those powers and Ace Bonus that reference other team members and adjacent pilots, like Kei's Z3 ace bonus, do they count subpilots?

Only adjacent main pilots, I believe.

Counting subs could lead to a HUGE bonus.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Kei's in Z3 actually does count sub-pilots in his team, but I'm not sure if it counts adjacent sub-pilots.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hikarusa posted:

Kei's in Z3 actually does count sub-pilots in his team, but I'm not sure if it counts adjacent sub-pilots.

I'm pretty sure it does. I think the only individual units with more than one female pilot is just Dancouga Nova, Cosmo Crusher and Aquarion EVOL, though. At only +3 stats a piece your looking at a consistent +9 and situational +15 or so to all stats, which isn't really all that impressive compared to stuff like +30% damage or "cast every spirit in the game for free" but most ace bonuses are underwhelming.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Do the other pilots in the teams count? Because that way you could get *quick math* up to 12 girls around Kei, for a +36 bonus to all stats.

And then there's all these other weird things like the Elements powers and whatnot that isn't clear on who it affects or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe it's only main pilots/leaders for Kei, though he does count enemies. So enjoy the bonus against, uh, Anemone, I guess?

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do the other pilots in the teams count? Because that way you could get *quick math* up to 12 girls around Kei, for a +36 bonus to all stats.

And then there's all these other weird things like the Elements powers and whatnot that isn't clear on who it affects or not.

In Z3 it's all and any females adjacent to him, regardless of what kind of pilot they are.

For the record, Mikon's ace bonus affects everyone in her team, including subpilots of both units.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My game is now all about surrounding Kei with as many women as possible. Giggity.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Good news, that's his game as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
How good is gundam breaker 2 compared to shin gundam musou in terms of combat gameplay? I have been playing shin musou for a while now and I'm getting bored of the combat gameplay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bubblegumbo0 posted:

How good is gundam breaker 2 compared to shin gundam musou in terms of combat gameplay? I have been playing shin musou for a while now and I'm getting bored of the combat gameplay.

GB2 has somewhat more variety in the combat and WAY more variety in the suit customization. You still have relatively few basic moves, but can supplement these by selection of parts that grant EX actions. There's a little more variety in the stages and enemies, though you will see the same levels a few times and will still be chopping down smaller waves of low-powered grunts with the occasional ace and huge unit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
GB2 sounds way more awesome than I expected so I'm gonna get it. PSN codes are on sale on play-asia right now btw, 10,000 yen cards are only $103. But some of that price drop represents the exchange rate back down to 120yen:$1.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Samurai Sanders posted:

GB2 sounds way more awesome than I expected so I'm gonna get it. PSN codes are on sale on play-asia right now btw, 10,000 yen cards are only $103. But some of that price drop represents the exchange rate back down to 120yen:$1.

GB2 is indeed a very fun game so far, currently working on getting all the challenges done with another goon. then probably working out how to unlock the last 15 or so HG and MG suits for purchase.

If you need a co-op buddy just add azmilion and or luminaflare on the PSN. We've both cleared the game and are mostly running around in gimmick suits at this point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doubling down to say that yes, it is in fact very, very good. My sole complaint is that once you finish the 'story' the game takes a dramatic increase in difficulty that can be a little frustrating at first.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Doubling down to say that yes, it is in fact very, very good. My sole complaint is that once you finish the 'story' the game takes a dramatic increase in difficulty that can be a little frustrating at first.

The first one had a pretty sharp post-game difficulty spike too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

The first one had a pretty sharp post-game difficulty spike too.

Oh absoluely. That is the only thing that really hasn't been fixed between the two. I will say that it is still better than one, since at least if you get stuck you can pick a stage to farm and guarantee that you get the components you need for the level ups rather than just praying something drops. It could just use a little more smoothing out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This game is pretty fun, but I get poo poo connections with any and all multiplayer games. Also, everyone has theirs set to accept all levels, which doesn't give me any idea of whether everything there is going to oneshot me or not.

By the way, what determines how powerful integrated weapons, like the astray legs' garbera straight, are?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

How hard is Breaker 2 to play if you speak or read zero Japanese?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

How hard is Breaker 2 to play if you speak or read zero Japanese?

Pretty easy; there's a lot of English throughout and the model numbers are in English (so even if you can't read the kana for "Gundam" you're OK if you know what the "RX-78-2" is. The only hard part will be the EX actions and modules, and the Google Doc that had all that for GB1 is still largely relevant (find my old post that has a link to it in this thread).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are MG parts just better across the board than HG, or is there some reason you'd want to pick and choose between them? Not that I have any MG parts yet.

edit: and what's the deal with cost and capacity? Not only do I not know why there are two stats like that, but where does it show my limit for them on the assembly screen?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Option Weapon's power is determined by the part's level. MG vs HG, if I've not been misled, are equally as powerful at max level, but MG are stronger at base. This is because HG's max out at level 20 while MG's max out at 10. This may or may not be actually true, I haven't seen anyone go to the trouble of maxing out both the MG and HG versions of the same part, especially as upgrade costs get ludicrous at higher levels, but considering the guy with the HG GM was able to beat the game and all post-game content with his high-powered GM, they're probably good enough to keep if you want to.

Think of Capacity as maximum weight and Cost as combined weight of your parts, which each have an individual either Cost or Capacity. Legs, Torsos and most Backpacks give extra capacity, while everything else has Cost. Get it? In the general specifications tab, your capacity is the very last number on the first box, with cost being the number directly above it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are MG parts just better across the board than HG, or is there some reason you'd want to pick and choose between them? Not that I have any MG parts yet.

edit: and what's the deal with cost and capacity? Not only do I not know why there are two stats like that, but where does it show my limit for them on the assembly screen?

Every part, module, and EX Action has a Cost associated with it. The total Cost of everything on your Gundam can't exceed its Capacity.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I recently found out by accident that L1+R1+Start+Select is a soft reset on Z3-1, that made my life so much easier.
So I thought to do the same thing on OG 2nd and it apparently does not work.
Is there a soft reset in this game or not?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
OG 2nd definitely has a soft reset, and I thought it was the same. I remember because if you hold it down, it skips the main menu and goes straight to the load game screen to let you continue like you would in another SRW.

Edit: It's been a while since I last played it, and I really should get back to finishing off those last dozen missions!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any SRW games from the last ten years that DON'T have that?

Also continue to hold select after that to autoload your last quicksave.

edit: there are a few of those game-end skits about the evils of savescumming, but clearly the game is designed for it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Been a while since I posted in this thread, but I'm getting Jigoku-hen for Christmas and I had a few questions.

1. How do the originals compare to the last three games? I loved the Ark Sabers and Ji Edels lackeys and how they had those themes that all shared the similar intros, do the new guys stand up to that? Also, does Aihm make an appearance or is he really dead now?

2. I've heard the game has DLC, is it boosts or missions? Are there any guides on how to purchase them, because I assume I'd need a Japanese PSN account.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Verranicus posted:

Been a while since I posted in this thread, but I'm getting Jigoku-hen for Christmas and I had a few questions.

1. How do the originals compare to the last three games? I loved the Ark Sabers and Ji Edels lackeys and how they had those themes that all shared the similar intros, do the new guys stand up to that? Also, does Aihm make an appearance or is he really dead now?

2. I've heard the game has DLC, is it boosts or missions? Are there any guides on how to purchase them, because I assume I'd need a Japanese PSN account.

The Original protag is kinda boring as a personality. Ther's a bit of a running gag wher he's part of the group of the stoic, silent pilots like Setsuna and Chirico but doesn't realize it and thinks they're talking about someone else. Aside from that, meh.

His mech is honestly pretty cool from the standpoint of watching him pull off martial arts moves with it, and it has an amazing Finisher. Too bad it only comes so late.

Original villains this round are bland as hell. Designs are bad, attacks are pretty run of the mill, and the 'main' OG villain is notable mostly for how much of a petty, small-minded rear end in a top hat he is.

Aim is dead as a dodo until Tengoku-hen revives every single Sphere bearer because Reasons.

SRWZ2 was a high water mark in terms of OG villain designs and this game just doesn't hit it.

DLC is mostly side-missions that are usually for fun and easy ways to rack up PP/Exp/cash. They have some nice character beats (like Noriko and Simon becoming training coaches for the Eva trio) but nothing plot critical.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

On the good side, the stages based on anime episodes are usually pretty great. Like Beyond the Time.

I loving love Beyond the Time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Z3-1 has the worst Originals in a while. They're not aggressively terrible, for the most part, but they're pretty bland. There's some okay animations, but the designs themselves are meh and they all kind of lack for personality.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Verranicus posted:

It's missions, which are largely uninteresting and mostly there for a bit of extra dialogue. Some of the missions have really good items, that's about the best you'll get.

To purchase the DLC, you need a Japanese PSN account to access the Japanese store, and you also need to put money on the PSN account using either a Japanese credit card or a prepaid Japanese PSN card. The latter can be purchased online at pretty decent rates right now due to the weak yen (¥120/$1). If you are playing on the PS3, you do NOT need the Japanese PSN account to actually play the game or use the DLC, if your US account is on the same console. I had no problem playing Z3 with DLC on an American account after buying the DLC on the same console with a Japanese account. If you are playing on the Vita, you need the Japanese account period, and there is no way to change the account once it's set, short of a factory reset.

Prepaid PSN cards: 3,000 yen 10,000 yen 1,000 yen 500 yen

I've purchased several things from this vendor, including cards, and they've been nothing but reliable to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

It's missions, which are largely uninteresting and mostly there for a bit of extra dialogue. Some of the missions have really good items, that's about the best you'll get.

To purchase the DLC, you need a Japanese PSN account to access the Japanese store, and you also need to put money on the PSN account using either a Japanese credit card or a prepaid Japanese PSN card. The latter can be purchased online at pretty decent rates right now due to the weak yen (¥120/$1). If you are playing on the PS3, you do NOT need the Japanese PSN account to actually play the game or use the DLC, if your US account is on the same console. I had no problem playing Z3 with DLC on an American account after buying the DLC on the same console with a Japanese account. If you are playing on the Vita, you need the Japanese account period, and there is no way to change the account once it's set, short of a factory reset.

Prepaid PSN cards: 3,000 yen 10,000 yen 1,000 yen 500 yen

I've purchased several things from this vendor, including cards, and they've been nothing but reliable to me.

Do they send you the code directly or do you need to wait for a card?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
They email it to you. It usually takes about 12 hours or so.

Also, Play-Asia has Masoukishin Coffin of the Final for $50 at the moment. I'm considering it, but at the same time I got burned on Masoukishin 3 (and I only paid 20 for that one...) that I may not get it.

Nephrite fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 30, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pureauthor posted:

DLC is mostly side-missions that are usually for fun and easy ways to rack up PP/Exp/cash. They have some nice character beats (like Noriko and Simon becoming training coaches for the Eva trio) but nothing plot critical.

Is there anywhere with little summaries for these, even just a single sentence like that of the basic premise of the mission?

Nephrite posted:

They email it to you. It usually takes about 12 hours or so.

Also, Play-Asia has Masoukishin Coffin of the Final for $50 at the moment. I'm considering it, but at the same time I got burned on Masoukishin 3 (and I only paid 20 for that one...) that I may not get it.

I heard Coffin of the End is better, I think Samurai Sanders played it.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

ImpAtom posted:

Do they send you the code directly or do you need to wait for a card?

Depends on what time of the day you place your order. They'll be closed for a lot of days this weekend so you won't be getting it till Monday. They are closed on weekends so you have until Friday 7PM JST or they'll work on your order the next Monday.

Basically order early morning JST on a day not Friday if you want to get it quickly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

Z3-1 has the worst Originals in a while. They're not aggressively terrible, for the most part, but they're pretty bland. There's some okay animations, but the designs themselves are meh and they all kind of lack for personality.

Shame. =/ I loved Chimera and the Ark Sabers a whole lot, and thought their music and mech designs were some of the best OG villain stuff we've had.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

HiKaizer posted:

OG 2nd definitely has a soft reset, and I thought it was the same. I remember because if you hold it down, it skips the main menu and goes straight to the load game screen to let you continue like you would in another SRW.

Edit: It's been a while since I last played it, and I really should get back to finishing off those last dozen missions!

So I tried the combination again and it refuses to work. Can anyone verify if it works for their version of the game?
Thank you for replying to my question, though. Currently stuck in Stage 24... so many units and I have no idea what to do with them.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Should be L1L2R1R2+Start/Select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I've been going through Z3.1 and can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to pull off that SR point for level 18? The one where you have to shoot down the UFO before Black Ox is shot down, but Ox is an NPC who runs face first into the nearest mob of robots and dies in a few turns. Am I supposed to rush the UFO or is there some kind of in-battle way to link single robots up into a tag team so I can babysit Ox on one end of the map, or am I just supposed to dump a shitload of money into him to make him invulnerable and give him D-trader poo poo?

• Locked thread