Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Give me autotune and a Drake feature I'll get 30 million views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
welp bobby shmurda was in jail over the christmas holidays and remains at rikers

bobby smurdas lawyer posted:

I've analyzed the indictment down to the bone. It's just talking. Bobby shouldn't be charged with anything. I have told your colleagues in the media, the indictment is a bunch of bullshit. First 41 pages are just kids talking, in not even english. Bobby isn't charged with anything except talk in the indictment.

"in not even english" lol

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

http://www.datpiff.com/Gucci-Mane-C-Note-Vs-Gucci-mixtape.675605.html

C-Note vs. Gucci dropped (it's just a mix of different C-Note and Gucci collabs, not much new material)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

thathonkey posted:

welp bobby shmurda was in jail over the christmas holidays and remains at rikers

"in not even english" lol

His lawyer using "bullshit" and "in not even English." Poor Bobby is screwed :(

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you guys missed this gem from the XXL interview

quote:

Mr. Greenberg expounded that he’s not sure if the “Hot Nigga” rapper is in jail or not but that Epic Records should “stand behind their artist. But then again it is a subdivision of Sony, so you tell me if the have the balls to stand up for their people.”

“My guy is rich, he’s busy, he’s always on tour,” Greenberg added. “He doesn’t have time for this bullshit; it makes no sense. He’s making more money legit than it’s possible to make, it’s crazy. My guys are legit, end of story. Give me a fuckin’ break. But he’s a target.”

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
his website is also equally astounding

quote:

- COMMENTS ABOUT HOWARD GREENBERG -

*" Nine out of ten transcripts used to train new assistant district attorneys in narcotics cases are from Greenberg''s trials".

Source: Deputy Supervisor, Major Narcotics in a well-known Brooklyn District Lawyer's office.

*" No one can win a federal trial involving narcotics out of JFK Airport unless it's Howard Greenberg."

Source: Instructor in Federal Criminal Practice, Kings County Bar Association Seminar.

*" Howard Greenberg is the BEST CROSS-EXAMINER ON THE PLANET! "

Source: Prof., Trial Advocacy, CUNY Law.

"A SUPER-HERO in Court"

Source: Michael Uslan, Executive Producer of Batman

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don't sell Molly is a good song too

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
man of the party should have been everyone's introduction to makonnen but he wasn't that lucky

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
yeah i'm not the biggest makonnen stan but hes actually a somewhat talented artist/musician

which is wayy more than you can say about trinidad james's career as a musician

e: also im not saying trinidad james is the worst rapper of all time guys, come on

youngallah fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 28, 2014

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Trinidad James had a good verse on Banco but yeah he's weak, so is makonnen.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Trinidad James wasn't all bad. He received too much attention for a lazy ignorant song.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

His verse on the Work remix was good also

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finally getting around to PRhyme and this really is a great album. I'm not a big fan of Royce or Primo but they seem to inspire the best in each other.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't think I "get" Kanye West's "Runaway". My understanding is the chorus, including "Let's have a toast for the douchebags", is supposed to be ironic, but ironic about whom? About people who criticized him for the Taylor Swift incident? If that's the case, doesn't that demonstrate an insane lack of self-awareness, since he was the douchebag in all that?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
It's Kayne west, you already know it's about him. Its also literally the opposite of a lack of self awareness

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think I "get" Kanye West's "Runaway". My understanding is the chorus, including "Let's have a toast for the douchebags", is supposed to be ironic, but ironic about whom? About people who criticized him for the Taylor Swift incident? If that's the case, doesn't that demonstrate an insane lack of self-awareness, since he was the douchebag in all that?
Can I borrow your time machine and go back to the stone age?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Josh Lyman posted:

He's criticizing himself, especially his relationships and behavior with women, while loosely parodying the tendency for popular rap songs (including his own) to focus on self-aggrandizement and bragging.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 28, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

If there's one thing I think about when I think of Kanye West, it's his amazing self-awareness :allears:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Idk, why don't you use rap genius fool

Pops Ghostly
Dec 20, 2014

by Ralp

Josh Lyman posted:

He was kidding around during the Taylor Swift thing and white America couldn't wait to pounce him and lynch a successful black man. Remember when Pink tried to get out of her seat and "fight" him? If I was Ye I would stomped that bitches ears together real talk and gave those white folks something to really cry about. Anyway, Chinx Drugz album was pretty good. He has yet to top Flight 2011 but it's hard to top an album entirely produced by Harry Fraud. I am very excited for 2015 new Kanye, Drake, Kendrick, Harry Fraud, Jon Connor's debut, Gambino, and we finally find the Real reason Hopsin left the music industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ICvfRjmdFM

Mark my words, this boy finna put the game in a chokehold.

#OnedayMaxwillBFree

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pops Ghostly posted:

He was kidding around during the Taylor Swift thing and white America couldn't wait to pounce him and lynch a successful black man. Remember when Pink tried to get out of her seat and "fight" him? If I was Ye I would stomped that bitches ears together real talk and gave those white folks something to really cry about.
I wasn't aware that's how Pink reacted, but that's definitely overkill.

Still, isn't it revisionist history for Kanye to say he was just kidding? And if not that, it was at least a total dick move.

Lord Krangdar posted:

He's criticizing himself, especially his relationships and behavior with women, while loosely parodying the tendency for popular rap songs (including his own) to focus on self-aggrandizement and bragging.
So it doesn't really have anything to do with the Taylor Swift incident? I wonder where I got that idea.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 28, 2014

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Pops Ghostly posted:

He was kidding around during the Taylor Swift thing and white America couldn't wait to pounce him and lynch a successful black man.

He knows he's going to get this reaction though, saying/doing outlandish poo poo that angers white people is his whole schtick. Dude's a genius though and it's funny to see him troll cops and political leaders and white people.

Also ffs what's with the hashtags?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
kanye went on jay leno to apologize about the taylor swift incident and basically started crying about his mom dying so who knows iu think he was just going through some poo poo during that period

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

He was right about Taylor Swift not deserving a grammy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joe Gillian posted:

He was right about Taylor Swift not deserving a grammy.

Weird of him to go off about it at the VMAs then.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Weird of him to go off about it at the VMAs then.

Well, I meant VMAs then. Whatever.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Like her other half Bey isn't that great

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still know white people who are all "gently caress Kanye for disrespecting my fake celebrity wifey Taylor Swift," then unironically use words like Obummer or COPLIVESMATTER at above acceptable social decibel levels so everyone in the building knows how ignorantly white they are.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
Honestly the Taylor Swift thing was a moment of real honesty. That Single Ladies video was one of the most iconic videos of the last few years and from what I remember that Swift video was uninspired and generic as hell. I can't even remember what it was about, that's how generic it was.

To see a much more deserving video get passed over for one that was objectively better and having the balls to go up and call out the entire award ceremony on their bullshit might have been rude, but it took guts/ Everyone knew Beyonce had the better video. A black man seeing a black artist get passed over for a less deserving white artist could easily also been something that would have fired up Kanye's decision. What he was saying was "this decision is wrong and everyone knows it" and he was 100% right.

Of course that kinda all fell to poo poo when Beyonce went on to win Best Overall Video but Ye didn't know that at the time. Not saying it wasn't kinda rude to Swift but Kanye's interruption was a huge bit of honesty at a moment that no one could ignore and he probably knew full well what the media's response to that incident would be (after seeing him live a few times he's honestly one of the most self-aware dudes I've heard).

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

you guys missed this gem from the XXL interview

Proof that getting a Jewish lawyer doesn't mean you'll end up with a good one. Put some glasses on him and he's Frank Reynolds; Attorney At Law.

goodog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 29, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoganFAvfE

This poo poo is real AF

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
New Mick Jenkins

https://soundcloud.com/mickjenkinsmusic/11-prod-by-nifdproductions

Rusty Box
Jul 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I still know white people who are all "gently caress Kanye for disrespecting my fake celebrity wifey Taylor Swift," then unironically use words like Obummer or COPLIVESMATTER at above acceptable social decibel levels so everyone in the building knows how ignorantly white they are.

Agreed. Did anyone listen to the Vince Staples EP or the RATKING LP this year? The Staples release got some press, but RATKING got nothing.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I just heard Wocka say Walaika Salaam, al-Salaam Salakim, Arm Leg Leg Arm Head over the It Ain't Hard to Tell Beat. What kind of weird dream am I in?

edit: ^I listened to RATKING. I thought it was strong as gently caress.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 29, 2014

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Both Hell Can Wait, and Shyne Coldchain vol 2 were some of the best things to come out this year. I had liked Vince before, but he seemed to really up the quality with those two. Need to revisit the RATKING album as it kind of bored me when I first heard it but could get better with more listens.

Rappity-rap Wocka is fun and is way preferable to his EDM forays.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Is Chief Keef the underrated genius some say he is? He does make some catchy tunes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Chief keef is robert johnson reborn.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Digi_Kraken posted:

Is Chief Keef the underrated genius some say he is? He does make some catchy tunes.

Nobody says he's a genius. He's Soulja Boy with more illiteracy and faux-thug behavior.

Also going back over stuff from the year, listening to Nocando's album and it's also really good. Fits well with Open Mike Eagle and Busdriver in terms of great hellfyre club releases (still not sure about that Milo album...).

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
As a Keef fan I (and many other fans) would openly admit that he doesn't come close to anything that could be considered 'genius.' Young Chop on the other hand....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Trying to equate him to Soulja is absurd tho.