Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I haven't watched either in a while, so I can't comment on that specifically, but there's definitely a difference between the first season and the latter ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spatula City posted:

It says Ravane is probated for six hours. Why is it not six months? He toxxed himself, dammit. I thought toxxing MEANT SOMETHING. :colbert:

There's no such thing as a six month probation. I had told Ravane specifically before to not toxx for any thing like that again after I approved a non-existing multi-week toxx the last time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I'm watching Strike Back "Origins" (which is just the British six ep series). Are the Cinemax produced seasons more serialized? It's kind of, well, episodic and corny right now.

The Cinemax one is like 3 10 hour action movies. It's not even remotely the same.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

The Cinemax one is like 3 10 hour action movies. It's not even remotely the same.

Ok I'm skipping ahead then.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The important thing is you know who John Porter is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he's the head dwarf from the Hobbit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Deadpool posted:

There's no such thing as a six month probation. I had told Ravane specifically before to not toxx for any thing like that again after I approved a non-existing multi-week toxx the last time.

So, do you probate someone by just selecting from a drop down or something? I'm genuinely interested and couldn't give a poo poo about Ravane.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

So, do you probate someone by just selecting from a drop down or something? I'm genuinely interested and couldn't give a poo poo about Ravane.

The options are/were 6 hours, 12 hours, day, week, month and ten years.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Those cartoons Ravane just posted sound like TVTropes fiction that accidentally got greenlit.

Apparently, Uncle Grandpa, the worse of the two, won an emmy. So I guess they're just giving accolades to anyone these days.

Just look at this one minute clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57SBRbMXbI. This poo poo won an emmy. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which is the one where the creator turned out to be a total piece of poo poo? I wanna say Clarence.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching The Wire in HD and the widescreen looks pretty good. The high def gives it more of a documentary feel IMO, like it's something that's airing this year and not made 12 years ago.

I thought David Simon was super against showing it in 16:9?

Is there any weird poo poo like boom mikes in the shots like usually happens with shows framed for 4:3?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, this was done by HBO and it looks like they took a lot of time to get it right. It only feels weird occasionally where the camera is zoomed in too much. I only saw the pilot episode but I'm probably going to buy the Blu Ray and dump the DVDs. It looks really crisp.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

IRQ posted:

I thought David Simon was super against showing it in 16:9?

Is there any weird poo poo like boom mikes in the shots like usually happens with shows framed for 4:3?

Nah, he wrote up a decent sized post basically saying it's a mixed bag... lot of shots really improved, lot of shots really hindered.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

It's actually a really good piece, worth a read. It's not just about the aspect ratio transfer, Simon puts heart into talking about his personal relationship with Bob Colesberry and uses that as his lens for everything he learned about cinematography, why they went 4:3 originally and then stayed 4:3, his experience with HBO doing the transfer, and the end product with examples of positive and negative results.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ravane posted:

Apparently, Uncle Grandpa, the worse of the two, won an emmy. So I guess they're just giving accolades to anyone these days.

Just look at this one minute clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57SBRbMXbI. This poo poo won an emmy. :colbert:
I'm not one to really complain about sitcoms having lovely jokes or anything but even I feel afraid people are just allowed to be funny by throwing a million non-sequiturs at something and expecting something to stick. This is worse than a laugh track to me.

If there was an actual joke (and I'm terrible at parsing much less writing comedy) hidden in there somewhere, it wasn't in those 2 minutes.

Then again the same people that like this probably hated season 3 of Louie for being too serious, so what do I know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Reminder that you only have 3.5 days to vote in the TVIV Top Shows of 2014 thread. Just because it's a Toxxupation thread doesn't mean it's not fun!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If Marvel's Agents of SHIELD hits #1 I swear to god I will never post on Something Awful again. You guys better start voting for some good shows :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

If Marvel's Agents of SHIELD hits #1 I swear to god I will never post on Something Awful again. You guys better start voting for some good shows :argh:

brb have to update my list

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

Which is the one where the creator turned out to be a total piece of poo poo? I wanna say Clarence.

Yeah, he was kicked off the show because he sexually harassed female coworkers.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So a few years ago I watched a BBC documentary about several things in slowmotion. Lightning and poo poo. Looked fantastic. The name was something along "world in slowmotion". Anyone know the exact title? tia

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nah, he wrote up a decent sized post basically saying it's a mixed bag... lot of shots really improved, lot of shots really hindered.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

It's actually a really good piece, worth a read. It's not just about the aspect ratio transfer, Simon puts heart into talking about his personal relationship with Bob Colesberry and uses that as his lens for everything he learned about cinematography, why they went 4:3 originally and then stayed 4:3, his experience with HBO doing the transfer, and the end product with examples of positive and negative results.

I've only watched about half the first season of the remastered episodes and it looks fantastic. All the people on the internet crying about Simon's artistic vision being trampled by HBO are ridiculous.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer widescreen conversion, however, is a crime against humanity.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm not too worried about The Wire HD because I'm pretty sure from that blog post that David Simon was actually consciously working in the conversion process to make sure what needed to be changed was changed so it didn't come out like poo poo.

But the blame lies in people who can't watch 4:3 anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Simon worked closely with HBO for the Wire remaster, Whedon bitched about the Buffy one on twitter. That should tell you all you need to know about the respective quality of both.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

Simon worked closely with HBO for the Wire remaster, Whedon bitched about the Buffy one on twitter. That should tell you all you need to know about the respective quality of both.

Well neither of them were even told about the remaster until fans brought it to their attention. Simon delayed the release of The Wire HD to look over it and fix HBO's lovely job. I guess Whedon could still do the same and work on the Buffy one. A TV airing is not the same as a release. The X-Files keeps changing and improving stuff in their HD remaster.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Buffy and Angel's widescreen releases were filled with things like boom mics and Angel's reflection in a mirror that were obviously not meant to be framed for that format. That said, no one has a drat 4:3 screen anymore and black bars are annoying, and I can live with flubs like that if it just looks better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the 4:3 print of The Wire dates it more than it should do, as so much programming by that point was in widescreen.

The fact that Simon has gone from hating the prospect of an HD print with opened mattes to saying its flawed but he sees benefits... That's pretty much the best result anyone could have wished for.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Well neither of them were even told about the remaster until fans brought it to their attention. Simon delayed the release of The Wire HD to look over it and fix HBO's lovely job. I guess Whedon could still do the same and work on the Buffy one. A TV airing is not the same as a release. The X-Files keeps changing and improving stuff in their HD remaster.
That's pretty lovely but I guess the showrunner doesn't "own" the show anymore after it's done airing, so the broadcaster can do whatever they want.

That being said, I don't know how all those fubs I hear about the Buffy remaster make it in, do people just rescan the negatives or whatever master source and just fast forward through the thing to make sure it works? I feel like something with that much of a following (both The Wire and Buffy) would at least have someone put slightly more care into it, even if it wasn't the original authour (if we even want to use the showrunner as an auteur) involved.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think the 4:3 print of The Wire dates it more than it should do, as so much programming by that point was in widescreen.

The fact that Simon has gone from hating the prospect of an HD print with opened mattes to saying its flawed but he sees benefits... That's pretty much the best result anyone could have wished for.

It also feels like a compromise by Simon. I'm not saying he doesn't believe the positives he wrote about, I just think he had a struggle for something good to say.

As for the Buffy stuff, there's a video here that does a side by side look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC7OAZzMiu0

Weirdly, the 16x9 version feels more cramped, despite the wider frame because of the zoom they had to do. Right away it just feels wrong. Also the colour job looks like poo poo. Everything is too bright and in the scene in Buffy's room it looks like she has a spotlight shining on her. Also, Whedon has been talking about this for years. Over here the seasons that were shot in 16x9 were broadcast that way, despite Whedon asking them not too, it's why the UK sets had a letter from Whedon included to say that yes, they're meant to be in 4x3 because that's how they were designed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

It also feels like a compromise by Simon. I'm not saying he doesn't believe the positives he wrote about, I just think he had a struggle for something good to say.

As for the Buffy stuff, there's a video here that does a side by side look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC7OAZzMiu0

Weirdly, the 16x9 version feels more cramped, despite the wider frame because of the zoom they had to do. Right away it just feels wrong. Also the colour job looks like poo poo. Everything is too bright and in the scene in Buffy's room it looks like she has a spotlight shining on her. Also, Whedon has been talking about this for years. Over here the seasons that were shot in 16x9 were broadcast that way, despite Whedon asking them not too, it's why the UK sets had a letter from Whedon included to say that yes, they're meant to be in 4x3 because that's how they were designed.

Hah, that's a neat channel. One of their videos shows side by side comparisons of new CGI shots of sfx like vampire dustings. It looks so much worse than the original effects, which weren't great to begin with but fit the tacky feel of the first couple of seasons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The colour in the 4:3 doesn't look so great either, but that's not to excuse the 16:9 remaster. Also I guess they just did the most minimum amount of effort because the shots are pretty much just zoomed in widescreen versions of the original, which is only understandable because they probably didn't shoot widescreen so they had all their poo poo in those spots, but it's still lovely when it cuts people's heads off, or whatever shots just lost their composition because of that.

I wish people would just accept poo poo was sometimes shot in 4:3 and there will be black bars and if you don't like it then, well, too bad I guess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sober posted:

The colour in the 4:3 doesn't look so great either, but that's not to excuse the 16:9 remaster. Also I guess they just did the most minimum amount of effort because the shots are pretty much just zoomed in widescreen versions of the original, which is only understandable because they probably didn't shoot widescreen so they had all their poo poo in those spots, but it's still lovely when it cuts people's heads off, or whatever shots just lost their composition because of that.

I wish people would just accept poo poo was sometimes shot in 4:3 and there will be black bars and if you don't like it then, well, too bad I guess.

It doesn't look great but to me (And I'm not a fan of Buffy) it seems to suit the show more. The widescreen is so overlit it's practically lacking in shadows.

We're in a weird issue now. For years people argued in favour of stuff being shown in widescreen because that's how it was shot. Now that it's the over way around people try to justify it. If a show was shot and intended for 16x9 and reformatted for 4x3 you better believe people would be pissed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone else interested in Sons of Liberty?

I expect it to be in almost no way historically accurate, but Agent Hank Schraeder as Benjamin Franklin in all his drunken, womanizing ways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7QBRTcniS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMW2icxVlo

Yes, please.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone else interested in Sons of Liberty?

I expect it to be in almost no way historically accurate, but Agent Hank Schraeder as Benjamin Franklin in all his drunken, womanizing ways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7QBRTcniS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMW2icxVlo

Yes, please.

Yes, specifically with your caveat of expecting it to be in no way true to history. It looks duuuuuuuumb (in the good way), but I want to watch it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Just watch John Adams instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I stopped watching John Adams after the 40th dutch angle shot.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
You missed out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

John Adams was fine but I like really dumb stuff too, like Sam Adams busting out dual pistols and other ridiculous crap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Irish Joe has turned against Two Broke Girls!

Also lol at the guy putting four wrestling shows in his top ten.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

No, you don't. Nobody who uses this excuse actually wants to pay for the media they consume.
Ahahaha Yes. Yes I do want to be able to pay for my media like I do my games and you don't get to proclaim to know what's in my thoughts. Unless of course you're an actual telepathic person in which case why the hell aren't we having that conversation because it's far more interesting than this one.

hope and vaseline posted:

Buffy and Angel's widescreen releases were filled with things like boom mics and Angel's reflection in a mirror that were obviously not meant to be framed for that format. Although no one has a drat 4:3 screen anymore and black bars are annoying, I can live with it not looking better if it doesn't have flubs like that.

There, that's better. I fixed your post for you so that is has an opinion that is agreeable.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 29, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Cactus posted:

Ahahaha Yes. Yes I do want to be able to pay for my media like I do my games and you don't get to proclaim to know what's in my thoughts. Unless of course you're an actual telepathic person in which case why the hell aren't we having that conversation because it's far more interesting than this one.

Well if you really really want to pay for it, all media is available for purchase in some way. What you really meant was I want to be able to pay a price I deem reasonable for access to all media I will ever want in one convenient place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cactus posted:

Ahahaha Yes. Yes I do want to be able to pay for my media like I do my games and you don't get to proclaim to know what's in my thoughts

No, you really don't. If you wanted to pay for your media, you would pay for it.

I actually do want to pay for the media I consume. I have a cable subscription, Netflix, and Prime (though that's mostly for the shipping). If I like a show enough to own it, I buy the blu-ray or buy it off iTunes. I don't pay for HBO, so I don't watch most of their shows.

The mental gymnastics people go through in order to justify their refusal to pay for things astounds me, both as a fellow consumer and as a content creator.

• Locked thread