Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If there were insane people with superpowers like Magneto running around in real life I'd find it really hard to find it morally objectionable to brainwash them. Especially since we'd probably just have them killed instead.

It worked out pretty well in Knights of the Old Republic.

And Axis, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Until the sequel retconned the ending, anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Trying to erase the dark parts of a powerful mutants mind? Do you want Onslaughts? Because that is how you get Onslaughts.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Servoret posted:

To be fair, Professor X brainwashes like every bad guy the X-Men face during the Lee/Kirby run. It's not like Bendis is writing him too out of character.

No, it's just grimdarking up a character's actions from a time when comics handled morality differently.

If they were playing up the 90's extreme justice era as canon more people would be pissed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SiKboy posted:

Trying to erase the dark parts of a powerful mutants mind? Do you want Onslaughts? Because that is how you get Onslaughts.

If it gives us more Venom/Mega Man team-ups, sure!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

I assumed that was Morrison's grand plan. Was it really just giving in to demand?

The last page of Morrison's whole run was a room full of Damian embryos. I take that as clear permission to do the resurrection.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

The last page of Morrison's whole run was a room full of Damian embryos. I take that as clear permission to do the resurrection.
If only his return heralded a techno-organic Damian, an urban Damian, a Middle Aged Damian, and a Damian wearing a Google Glass visor...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

And Axis, I guess.

Not so well in Squadron Supreme, though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

If it gives us more Venom/Mega Man team-ups, sure!

Ok, I'll bite.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

FilthyImp posted:

If only his return heralded a techno-organic Damian, an urban Damian, a Middle Aged Damian, and a Damian wearing a Google Glass visor...

Man, the Return of the Supermen seems like something a lot of people would have parodied--have there been any notable takes on it? That is, 4 different versions of an existing character all running around at the same time?

And thanks everybody for the information about reader voting--it seems like it's actually never been too common or consistent, other than with the Legion of Super Heroes, I guess.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vincent posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

The best Onslaught-related thing outside of Thunderbolts.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, the Return of the Supermen seems like something a lot of people would have parodied--have there been any notable takes on it? That is, 4 different versions of an existing character all running around at the same time?

During Deadpool's original series in the early 00's, Frank Tieri did an arc called Funeral for a Freak where Deadpool was killed and came back in the form of a superhero, a pop-culture party host, a murderous vigilante and a complete nutjob. It was really bad and was thankfully followed by Gail Simone's kickass run directly after.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

And thanks everybody for the information about reader voting--it seems like it's actually never been too common or consistent, other than with the Legion of Super Heroes, I guess.

Which is just as well because most comic fans are idiots.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gavok posted:

It was really bad

Dude, you already said it was written by Frank Tieri, no need to repeat yourself.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude, you already said it was written by Frank Tieri, no need to repeat yourself.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

It made me realize that Frank Tieri is really bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The issue that was just the funeral was all right, but yeah, gently caress the rest of it.

I gotta imagine that time Spidey was running around as 4 different guys was at least partly a nod to Reign of the Supermen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Gail Simone's kickass run directly after.

The last time these words were ever true :911:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Waterhaul posted:

Magneto is not their father. Either he's been lying to them for years to manipulate them for his own gains or whomever told Magneto they were his kids lied, either way it's yet to be explored more. Just more dumb editorial decisions to line things up with Age of Ultron coming out.

I don't hate the change if they do it right, meaning that they were Magneto's children right until Scarlet Witch said they aren't during SIXIS. Her changing reality is a retcon I can accept. Old stories still intact, new version in line with the movies. Have their cake and eat it too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
And it works with her current Magneto construct slowly going evil in Bunn's series now that's she's decided he's a dick again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I gotta imagine that time Spidey was running around as 4 different guys was at least partly a nod to Reign of the Supermen.

To a point maybe but it was more about him not being Spider-man but still being able to be a hero.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just remembered a reader vote that I had forgotten about. At the end of the Giffen-DeMatteis run on Justice League there was a reader vote for who should be on the team and that was who was the team when Jurgens took over. For some reason the characters people liked on the previous run didn't work as well under Jurgens...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I just remembered a reader vote that I had forgotten about. At the end of the Giffen-DeMatteis run on Justice League there was a reader vote for who should be on the team and that was who was the team when Jurgens took over. For some reason the characters people liked on the previous run didn't work as well under Jurgens...

And then Dan just started ditching cast members left and right. Brought in Bloodwynd and Maxima, put Beetle in a coma, destroyed Booster's armor, Fire lost her powers, Ice went home, Superman was dead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

And then Dan just started ditching cast members left and right. Brought in Bloodwynd and Maxima, put Beetle in a coma, destroyed Booster's armor, Fire lost her powers, Ice went home, Superman was dead.

It was a weak run on the book, but I can't blame him for that. He got handed a team that people thought would be funny when he was trying to do more straightforward superhero stuff.

OTOH, where were the Blue Devil voters in that? Way to show your support, guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

It was a weak run on the book, but I can't blame him for that. He got handed a team that people thought would be funny when he was trying to do more straightforward superhero stuff.

OTOH, where were the Blue Devil voters in that? Way to show your support, guys.

BD got a nice turn on the team after Jurgens left. My favorite JLA era honestly.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Magneto being their parent was a decade-later retcon in the first place, mainly stemmed from the fact Quickislver and Magneto both had gray hair, so it doesn't really phase me they're not anymore.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, so I've been poking through Flashpoint. Let me see if I have this straight...

1) Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to be married and had that happened everything would be maybe-fine, BUT

2) There is an evil plot by Orm and Penthesilea, the two's closest advisers, that ultimately results in a gigantic, devastating war between the two empires.

3) Said war and its weapons get so out of control that by the time Flash is about to retcon the universe away, Cyborg is detecting things that indicate the world's about to shake itself apart.

So...was it ever revealed exactly what Orm and Penthesilea were trying to do, or was it just GET ARTHUR/DIANA KILLED SO I CAN TAKE OVER MWAHAHAHA? Because if the latter, good job, you yahoos.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You've already put more thought into the plot than the actual writers did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What Flash really needed to do was go back in time and stop Mark Waid from writing the "Captain Atom goes nuclear" sequence in Kingdom Come because drat has that ever become an overblown threat/tired one-upsmanship game for unimaginative writers ever since.

When the New 52 needs to get reset, SuperboyMAN-PrimeoriginalcharacterdonotstealprofitsSielgelfamily will punch a hole in Captain Atom tied to an X-Element bomb and blow up the multiverse.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 31, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

Okay, so I've been poking through Flashpoint. Let me see if I have this straight...

1) Aquaman and Wonder Woman were going to be married and had that happened everything would be maybe-fine, BUT

2) There is an evil plot by Orm and Penthesilea, the two's closest advisers, that ultimately results in a gigantic, devastating war between the two empires.

3) Said war and its weapons get so out of control that by the time Flash is about to retcon the universe away, Cyborg is detecting things that indicate the world's about to shake itself apart.

So...was it ever revealed exactly what Orm and Penthesilea were trying to do, or was it just GET ARTHUR/DIANA KILLED SO I CAN TAKE OVER MWAHAHAHA? Because if the latter, good job, you yahoos.
You are correct on every point. I just assumed that yeah, everything just got way out of hand, and that eliminating the marriage was basically the original endgame, as per standard DC editorial mandates.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cornwind Evil posted:

Why would they get married? Doesn't Aquaman have a wife, and doesn't Wonder Woman have a non-super boyfriend? :corsair:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Why would they get married? Doesn't Aquaman have a wife, and doesn't Wonder Woman have a non-super boyfriend? :corsair:

It was a political marriage to join two nations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the last time Steve Trevor was treated as a serious love interest for Diana, actually? It feels like that's still considered the 'default' when I don't think it's been the case since at least CoIE.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I heard there was an issue of X-Men that retold the last battle of AvX through Scott's hosed-up-on-Dark-Phoenix-juice perspective, does anyone know what it was? It sounds interesting.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I heard there was an issue of X-Men that retold the last battle of AvX through Scott's hosed-up-on-Dark-Phoenix-juice perspective, does anyone know what it was? It sounds interesting.

I think it was Uncanny X-Men #19, and yes, it was great.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

I think it was Uncanny X-Men #19, and yes, it was great.
It was and it was. Thanks!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm loving Waid's relocated Daredevil story. He's calling back a lot of old DD stuff like Stunt Master and San Francisco. When did all that happen in the comics? I've read a lot of Daredevil, but only really the famous arcs like Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid and Smith. What else is good?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

I'm loving Waid's relocated Daredevil story. He's calling back a lot of old DD stuff like Stunt Master and San Francisco. When did all that happen in the comics? I've read a lot of Daredevil, but only really the famous arcs like Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid and Smith. What else is good?
Ask Mark Waid himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ann Nocenti's run is also pretty essential, particularly the introduction of Typhoid Mary.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've never read it myself, but I've seen folks on this very board say kind things about Joe Kelly's run. It's apparently hard to find, though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hi. I am pretty new to comics so forgive me if this is a weird question. I was pretty excited for Squirrel Girl #2 to come out today, but when I talked to my local comic book shop they said that they just . . . didn't get their shipment/order. And that it'd be a week or two before the replacement order would show up. Again, I'm new to comics . . . Is that normal? For orders to just not show up? Or is this shop run by idiots or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HondaCivet posted:

Hi. I am pretty new to comics so forgive me if this is a weird question. I was pretty excited for Squirrel Girl #2 to come out today, but when I talked to my local comic book shop they said that they just . . . didn't get their shipment/order. And that it'd be a week or two before the replacement order would show up. Again, I'm new to comics . . . Is that normal? For orders to just not show up? Or is this shop run by idiots or something?

There's only one company running (most) comics distribution, Diamond, and they're pretty much a monopoly. So when they gently caress up no one can really make them knock it off. Which means it's entirely possible that Diamond hosed up your shop's order... or it's possible that your shop is run by imbeciles. Honestly, it's plausible either way.