Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

For your earlier bit, MKS *DOES* include all of the bits in the box. It works just fine as it is - and you get to extend it if you want. It used to include TAC and I pulled that. Used to include Karbonite and that dependency got broke. The one thing I would do that I forgot was to put a MM config to hide a couple of the EL-compatible parts, but then that would make people sad who wanted them for aesthetics, hence they got left in (in the same way that a kerbitat is just a pretty lego brick without life support).

could you at the very least treat them the same way you do the flex-o-tubes and say 'does not work unless you have EL installed' instead of the current situation where the description is literally the exact opposite? please thank you etc. for politics

a sincere thank you for the EL advice; i'm running on an ancient laptop with limited drive space so yanking as much as possible and installing as little as possible is critical. as for the beach balls, i think you went too far the other direction. rather than have no discovery, you've swung all the way to shitloads of discovery but no retention unless you physically plant a flag or leave a landmark. saying 'oh yeah just learn the biomes' is all well and good on kerbin but the mun is visually just vast slabs of undifferentiated grey with the occasional crater for those of us who have to run on minimum settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

So I've got an interesting bug that I've never seen before. I was messing around, running around KSC with one of my mans, when I looked up to see these...things.

I backed out to the main scene and they were still there, so I figured I'd call it a night. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the terrain scatters textures bugging out, but who knows. :shrug:

Bugs are fun.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Green Calx posted:

So I've got an interesting bug that I've never seen before. I was messing around, running around KSC with one of my mans, when I looked up to see these...things.

I backed out to the main scene and they were still there, so I figured I'd call it a night. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the terrain scatters textures bugging out, but who knows. :shrug:

Bugs are fun.

Maybe the rain texture is broken?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

Maybe the rain texture is broken?

There is no rain texture.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can a command module hold multiple samples from different biomes? I have enough fuel to bounce around on Minmus a couple times before I head home, if I can grab samples from all.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Can a command module hold multiple samples from different biomes? I have enough fuel to bounce around on Minmus a couple times before I head home, if I can grab samples from all.

Yes. You can have multiple of the same experiment from different locations, and multiple of same location different experiments. You just can't have multiple identical location-experiment stored in one command module.
But you can have multiple identical experiment data stored in a mobile research lab.

Also, keep in mind that kerbals on EVA can pull experiment data out of science equipment like thermometers, goo cans etc., and move the data to a command pod. So you can land with all your experiments, run them, pull out the science, then ditch the heavy science equipment and leave for home with a much lighter vehicle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Control Volume posted:

I taxied it over to the space center to get a couple points in science, where it flipped over and exploded because it went over one of the building terraces at 50m/s. A+ game would buy again.
You realise that 50m/s is 110 mph / 180 kph, right? :v:

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Control Volume posted:

I just got this game a couple days ago and today I decided to try my hand at making a pretty standard jet with FAR installed. After feeling like hot poo poo for getting it to a point where I could land it on the KSC grasslands twice in a row, I taxied it over to the space center to get a couple points in science, where it flipped over and exploded because it went over one of the building terraces at 50m/s. A+ game would buy again.
This game forgives a lot of foolish things but your thing was a bit too foolish to forgive.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

The Green Calx posted:

Bugs are fun.

Are you running a mod that adds clouds?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Control Volume posted:

I just got this game a couple days ago and today I decided to try my hand at making a pretty standard jet with FAR installed. After feeling like hot poo poo for getting it to a point where I could land it on the KSC grasslands twice in a row, I CRAZY TAXIED it over to the space center to get a couple points in science, where it flipped over and exploded because it went over one of the building terraces at 50m/s. A+ game would buy again.

bit more accurate

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Couldn't get Astronomer's Visual Pack working without crashes, sadly, but Planetshine works okay and lighting changes alone can make for some pretty effects.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Couldn't get Astronomer's Visual Pack working without crashes, sadly, but Planetshine works okay and lighting changes alone can make for some pretty effects.

Try running in OpenGL, and with ActiveTextureManagement (or DDSLoader if you can figure out how to get it working). OpenGL alone saves me a shitload of memory, it's the only way I'm able to run my current mod setup without crashes.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

Try running in OpenGL, and with ActiveTextureManagement (or DDSLoader if you can figure out how to get it working). OpenGL alone saves me a shitload of memory, it's the only way I'm able to run my current mod setup without crashes.

I've found that OpenGL mode seems to totally disable the game's antialiasing in 0.90. Is that just me or does it work for you? (I used to use OpenGL but the jaggies in 0.90 got to me and, somehow, I ended up running the 64-bit version in DirectX11 mode to get it to run properly)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Two questions:

Why is the Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector so high in the tech tree? It's just a thing with 6 sides? I want to build up a space station with these interesting science modules I got from mods, but I don't have anything decent to dock them to. I could just dump some docking ports on fuel tanks but that's so loving ugly. Putting everything in one line is annoying as well.

What's an easy way to get all the money to upgrade the research center? Putting 10 stations on Minmus seems pretty boring.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

uXs posted:

Two questions:

Why is the Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector so high in the tech tree? It's just a thing with 6 sides? I want to build up a space station with these interesting science modules I got from mods, but I don't have anything decent to dock them to. I could just dump some docking ports on fuel tanks but that's so loving ugly. Putting everything in one line is annoying as well.

What's an easy way to get all the money to upgrade the research center? Putting 10 stations on Minmus seems pretty boring.

Get lucky with the RNG and get some high-reward satellite contracts, then do them all with a single sat with all the requirements and a boatload of dv. Remember: satellite and station contracts only check for stuff not launched yet at the time of accepting the contract, so if you accept 3-4 of them and then build one sat with all the hardware required you can move it around and nail all of them for the cost of a single launch. Assuming you don't need kerbals actively on the station you can even add hitchhiker modules and use a sat for a station contract (Though that might get a bit bulky to move around easily)

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 29, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also accept multiple contracts to survey the mun or minmus from orbit and do them all with one launch (this will get tedious if they require you to dip below the altitude that allows time accel though, and don't pick any with a surface requirement).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

uXs posted:

You actually only need one station that you upgrade. The trick (I think) is to have the newly-created module for your station be a higher "priority" than the existing one. I usually set the existing station to have a type of "Ship" and then the new module of type "Station", which means that the game thinks the new module is the core of the station.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So I'm building this rad little lander to do a sample return mission to Mun:

It's two stage - the four radially mounted tanks and the landing legs are only for the landing. Once I'm done doing science I'll detach the central tank + experiments and the engine, and take just that part back to Kerbin.
Is there a part somewhere that will join the four smaller tanks together (like a strut) but that doesn't let go once I fire the decouplers? I'd quite like the lander to remain intact as a single unit if possible.

e: I know I could use the 2x2 metal plate, but some of my experiments need to be very close to the ground to work, so I can't have the core raised too high.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luneshot posted:

The one thing KSP does to me is completely gently caress over my idea of speed. I'm so used to using mph that m/s are not an instinctive unit for me, so I see 140m/s and think "oh that's not that fast" before realizing it's like 310 mph.

Double it and add a quarter, is how I generally do it.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Is there a part somewhere that will join the four smaller tanks together (like a strut) but that doesn't let go once I fire the decouplers? I'd quite like the lander to remain intact as a single unit if possible.

Not in the stock game, and I'm not aware of a mod that does this. I believe it would be quite difficult to do.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Oberleutnant posted:

It's two stage - the four radially mounted tanks and the landing legs are only for the landing. Once I'm done doing science I'll detach the central tank + experiments and the engine, and take just that part back to Kerbin.

e: I know I could use the 2x2 metal plate, but some of my experiments need to be very close to the ground to work, so I can't have the core raised too high.

I think one of Roverdude's fine mods has a cool set of landing rigs that is basically a circular collar with legs attached to the outside. You can put stuff through the hole, which is cool, or you can put a decoupler on the top of it and once decoupled you can leave the whole rig behind. You might even be able to radially mount your engines to it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

If I understand you, you can strut the 4 outer tanks to each other. Struts connected to the central part will decouple, but others will remain in place.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The game should let you unlock the gravitometer with the first probe core, letting you send probes to other bodies to record gravity data, enabling you fill out your own in-game dV tables.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Are there any mods that are balanced with the stock parts? Most of my experiences with mods in the past have generally provided incompatible things that are overpowered.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Trivia posted:

The game should let you unlock the gravitometer with the first probe core, letting you send probes to other bodies to record gravity data, enabling you fill out your own in-game dV tables.

I'm on a holiday and here I am taking notes.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I took on my first orbital rescue mission last night. Just started playing again with .90. I took it mostly because I had just enabled the strategy to give %25 of my income in science points per 33 bucks, and was hoping I'd get like 400 science as an advance. Turns out you only get it on completion, I guess?

Anyway, the kerbin was floating around 99km-101km in a perfect equatorial orbit, so it was a lot like a normal mun launch. I tried to time it so I'd be close when he was passing but he was about 100km ahead of me when I normalized my orbit. I decided the best way to meet him would be to burn prograde at the AP to make my trip "longer" until, after a x amount or rotations, he would catch up. This worked great, however he overshot me and was 20km ahead as our paths crossed again. So I burned retrograde at the AP to pull my other side in.

What wound up happening was my slightly oblong orbit would have me overtake the kerbin on the inside, then have him overtake me on the outside, while I was praying we'd get close enough when the orbits touched (there was an incredibly small deviation, so the orbits looks mostly identical.) But every time one of us would pass the other by just a little bit too much (at one point he was 1.2km away. I realize now it would have been easy to just fly closer but I felt like any minor adjustment meant catastrophe for my orbit.) I had to keep making tiny, calculated adjustments to make our orbits very similar, but make mine either slightly faster or slower.

Finally (after an IRL hour) we made a perfect pass and I was able to take over the kerbin and jetpack over to the ship. It felt loving amazing to see the two objects so close in such an immense space, I honestly felt like a rocket scientist at that moment. However, I was still low on the tech tree and I didn't have enough room for two Kerbins in my MK1 pod. I let the new one in just to complete the mission but kicked him back out, and had him hold onto the ladder to see if he would survive re-entry. By tilting the ship I made it so he wouldn't slide off easily, but once we starting burning up during atmospheric re-entry he popped off and exploded somewhere behind me. Poor guy :smith:

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 29, 2014

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

karl fungus posted:

Are there any mods that are balanced with the stock parts? Most of my experiences with mods in the past have generally provided incompatible things that are overpowered.

My intent is that Station Science be balanced with the stock game. But balance is always something that's hard to judge. Not sure the masses aren't too much with the new career mode limitations, for one.

Count Roland posted:

If I understand you, you can strut the 4 outer tanks to each other. Struts connected to the central part will decouple, but others will remain in place.

It doesn't work that way. I strut together radial boosters to each other all the time, and those struts clearly detach when I blow the radial decoupler.

Struts and fuel lines only connect parts that are already connected by other means.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Maybe you could also attach to that tech node a Civlopedia-esque explanation of dV for newbies. Short trivia blurbs that could be expanded to give more in depth examples.

The main thing is avoiding inundating new players with too much information. You need to piecemeal it out. This is why limiting advancement behind building unlocks is deceptively brilliant; it allows players to really get a feel for the parts slowly, while requiring a demonstration of mastery in order to advance.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I think all the flavor text is cute, but after playing the game for 90 hours, it would be nice if I could only have the raw info displayed by default. An option for this, maybe?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Trivia posted:

I know Maxmaps already kindof said its a good idea, but it really is, gamify the dV!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It seems a little strange to me that Kerbals wouldn't be able to figure out the delta-V of maneuvers without sending probes out. I mean, you can already get that data just by plotting maneuver nodes.

Though I would be happy to see a wider variety of science for probes to do in the early game (especially kinds that don't need/benefit from sample return)...

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Trivia posted:

Maybe you could also attach to that tech node a Civlopedia-esque explanation of dV for newbies. Short trivia blurbs that could be expanded to give more in depth examples.

The main thing is avoiding inundating new players with too much information. You need to piecemeal it out. This is why limiting advancement behind building unlocks is deceptively brilliant; it allows players to really get a feel for the parts slowly, while requiring a demonstration of mastery in order to advance.

Theres already the "Kerbal Knowledge Base" referred to in the info descriptions of the planets and ships. Expanding this would be neat so you could see more detail about the ∆V if you wanted, you can examine the planets in detail based on what you've learned (kind of like a more fun version of the existing science archives). The info window in the VAB/SPH is now a perfect place to show numbers like that. Its not required by any means, but would be nice to have around, especially now that people are paying attention to the weight of their vehicles for pad-upgrade-reasons. Now that the game encourages a manner of efficiency, having the info available is only helpful.

It'd be really great if it could be merged with the Science Archives in some way (more for the R&D Building to do), that you could look up terms like that in one easy in-game place. Heck, it'd be neat to show a (maybe with a shader) 3D spinnable depiction of the planet in question showing what data you've recovered. This'd be a great place to implement the biome display too without confusing anyone on the main map. Showing planetary info (like in the info tab) here would also be useful. If you could access it mid-flight, that could be a nice "Civopedia" kind of thing, letting you get info on a destination without forcing you to alt-tab out to look at a wiki. Maybe clicking the info tab in the map screen lets you "get more info" and pop over to that view quickly.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
It would be nice if you could "draw" orbits in the map view, like dragging a circle around, and then have a maneuver node calculated to get to that orbit for you. Sort of like a reverse of the current system. That seems a little more intuitive.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

eth0.n posted:

It doesn't work that way. I strut together radial boosters to each other all the time, and those struts clearly detach when I blow the radial decoupler.

Struts and fuel lines only connect parts that are already connected by other means.

Huh, I wonder if this got changed in the update. I've made craft that did exactly this in earlier versions.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Dis a really good idea.

e: ALL of the pertinent info about planets should be locked out until discovered by science in career mode. Mass, gravity, atmos. Make it all discoverable by probes. Maybe even sliiightly randomise it, so you're always incentivised to send out probes before kerbs.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 29, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

karl fungus posted:

It would be nice if you could "draw" orbits in the map view, like dragging a circle around, and then have a maneuver node calculated to get to that orbit for you. Sort of like a reverse of the current system. That seems a little more intuitive.

Drawing in 3D is kind of complicated though.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Nevets posted:

Are you running a mod that adds clouds?

Nope, not running any clouds mods.

It's a really weird bug that I've never seen before. Hopefully it goes away for when I play later tonight.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

androo posted:

I took on my first orbital rescue mission last night. Just started playing again with .90. I took it mostly because I had just enabled the strategy to give %25 of my income in science points per 33 bucks, and was hoping I'd get like 400 science as an advance. Turns out you only get it on completion, I guess?

Anyway, the kerbin was floating around 99km-101km in a perfect equatorial orbit, so it was a lot like a normal mun launch. I tried to time it so I'd be close when he was passing but he was about 100km ahead of me when I normalized my orbit. I decided the best way to meet him would be to burn prograde at the AP to make my trip "longer" until, after a x amount or rotations, he would catch up. This worked great, however he overshot me and was 20km ahead as our paths crossed again. So I burned retrograde at the AP to pull my other side in.

What wound up happening was my slightly oblong orbit would have me overtake the kerbin on the inside, then have him overtake me on the outside, while I was praying we'd get close enough when the orbits touched (there was an incredibly small deviation, so the orbits looks mostly identical.) But every time one of us would pass the other by just a little bit too much (at one point he was 1.2km away. I realize now it would have been easy to just fly closer but I felt like any minor adjustment meant catastrophe for my orbit.) I had to keep making tiny, calculated adjustments to make our orbits very similar, but make mine either slightly faster or slower.

Finally (after an IRL hour) we made a perfect pass and I was able to take over the kerbin and jetpack over to the ship. It felt loving amazing to see the two objects so close in such an immense space, I honestly felt like a rocket scientist at that moment. However, I was still low on the tech tree and I didn't have enough room for two Kerbins in my MK1 pod. I let the new one in just to complete the mission but kicked him back out, and had him hold onto the ladder to see if he would survive re-entry. By tilting the ship I made it so he wouldn't slide off easily, but once we starting burning up during atmospheric re-entry he popped off and exploded somewhere behind me. Poor guy :smith:

Yeah, if you're that close, just cancel out relative velocity and burn towards him. It will change your orbit, but that has the biggest effect on the other side of the planet so it doesn't matter when docking.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

Drawing in 3D is kind of complicated though.

Right click a planet, select "create orbit" and it gives you a perfectly circular, equatorial, eastern-facing orbit. Drag you cursor out away from the planet to set altitude. Clicking the apoapsis and periapsis would give you the option to move them in and out or rotate them. Clicking the (arbitrary, aligned with the equator by default) ascending and descending nodes would give you the option to move them around or change your inclination.

I'm not saying that it would be easy to set up or even possible as a mod, but creating the UI to do it wouldn't be insurmountable. I don't think Squad would ever implement this though, because it would trivialize setting up multiple nodes and planning complex maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I find the biggest help when making an orbital rendezvous is (once I'm within 10-100km) to click the velocity indicator above the navball until it shows velocity relative to target, rather than orbital velocity. At those distances you want to be making very small adjustments, in my experience.