Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've gotta say, after two full marathons (almost done my third) of this show I still enjoy the soundtrack; it's always upbeat and relaxing, which contrasts perfectly with the Gang's shenanigans.

I've noticed that Dennis says "idiots" and "savages" much more often after "The Gang Reignites the Rivalry".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FireWorksWell posted:

I've gotta say, after two full marathons (almost done my third) of this show I still enjoy the soundtrack; it's always upbeat and relaxing, which contrasts perfectly with the Gang's shenanigans.

I've noticed that Dennis says "idiots" and "savages" much more often after "The Gang Reignites the Rivalry".

He is Legend.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hughmoris posted:

He is Legend.

Have Respect Idiots

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The guys doing commentary to Lethal Weapon 5 in character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ziiUGkirU

Edit: on that note, the clips shown in "Dee Reynolds shaping america's youth" are only 6 minutes, this one's a whole 15. I guess the 'full' movie is only available on the Season 5 DVD?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 27, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The guys doing commentary to Lethal Weapon 5 in character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ziiUGkirU

Edit: on that note, the clips shown in "Dee Reynolds shaping america's youth" are only 6 minutes, this one's a whole 15. I guess the 'full' movie is only available on the Season 5 DVD?

Season 6 DVD, and yeah I believe the full version is on it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

At the risk of over analyzing the show, I had a question after a recent viewing of "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth": Charlie has taken a job as a janitor at the school, and is very proud that the kids are calling him "The Professor". My reaction is that it's a sarcastic jibe at him, since he's a janitor who eats oranges out of the trash, but the kids seem sincere about it when they're greeting him. Any thoughts?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

He tries to pull the genius janitor act in "The Gang Reignites the Rivalry" so I bet its just him trying the Good Will Hunting act.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

At the risk of over analyzing the show, I had a question after a recent viewing of "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth": Charlie has taken a job as a janitor at the school, and is very proud that the kids are calling him "The Professor". My reaction is that it's a sarcastic jibe at him, since he's a janitor who eats oranges out of the trash, but the kids seem sincere about it when they're greeting him. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think it's sincere. Just try to imagine having Charlie Kelly as your high school janitor, I think you'd probably enjoy seeing having him around for the entertainment factor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a sarcastic nickname, but it's also affectionate. He's a loser and everybody knows that, but he's a cool, fun loser, which must be especially apparent in contrast to all the other adults at the high school.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Charlie's the only motherfucker at that school teaching loving street smarts, that's what's up

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Another dumb over analyzing thing, I think I brought it up before though. In Franks intervention, the gang tries to help Frank on their own. After that doesn't work, Charlie wants to call up the doctor because of all the pamphlets he just read. The joke is that the pamphlets have nothing to do with interventions but it makes me curious what was so interesting to Charlie in those pamphlets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pictures.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cage posted:

Another dumb over analyzing thing, I think I brought it up before though. In Franks intervention, the gang tries to help Frank on their own. After that doesn't work, Charlie wants to call up the doctor because of all the pamphlets he just read. The joke is that the pamphlets have nothing to do with interventions but it makes me curious what was so interesting to Charlie in those pamphlets.

The promise of information. Charlie is a consummate explorer, wide-eyed and always searching. To him, written words are an inscrutable and opaque indicator that something is interesting and, as such, probably an exciting new challenge.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No one remembers Danny DiVito from Taxi? Holy poo poo it fits the Frank so well I consider taxi to be part of his past. It fits so well to frank being too cheap to repair the taxis and being a cruel boss.

"Louie De Palma (Danny DeVito) – The head dispatcher for the Sunshine Cab Company, Louie spends the bulk of his time holding court inside the caged-in dispatch office at the garage and trading insults with the drivers. He not only has no morals to speak of, he positively revels in his misdeeds"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

No one remembers Danny DiVito from Taxi? Holy poo poo it fits the Frank so well I consider taxi to be part of his past. It fits so well to frank being too cheap to repair the taxis and being a cruel boss.

"Louie De Palma (Danny DeVito) – The head dispatcher for the Sunshine Cab Company, Louie spends the bulk of his time holding court inside the caged-in dispatch office at the garage and trading insults with the drivers. He not only has no morals to speak of, he positively revels in his misdeeds"

Yes I watched Taxi on Nick at Nite as a kid and that's most of my exposure to DeVito prior to It's Always Sunny. I also like to think it's part of Frank's past.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is my favorite non-canon piece of a sunny character's past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqssfzVyrw.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sammus posted:

This is my favorite non-canon piece of a sunny character's past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqssfzVyrw.

Wow! I remember that commercial.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Sammus posted:

Smoking is only appropriate if you've accidentally swallowed an apple seed.

Subcomputer
Nov 2, 2004
What's the reason for some of the seasons being uncensored and some not on Netflix? It's funny suddenly hearing "No gently caress you Frank." from Dennis but then a few episodes later it's a jarring slam back into Bleepey-Town.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Sammus posted:

I know I certainly would have related better to a bafflingly standoffish interviewee when I was a teenager. I half expected him to call the cameraman a fag before walking off

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Subcomputer posted:

What's the reason for some of the seasons being uncensored and some not on Netflix? It's funny suddenly hearing "No gently caress you Frank." from Dennis but then a few episodes later it's a jarring slam back into Bleepey-Town.

Isn't gently caress only used in the christmas special which was straight to DVD?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I thought the school kids called Charlie professor because he was so good at janitorial work. The idiot savant janitor, so used to clubbing rats in a bar basement that kid puke is nothing to him.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

He made the whole school slippery.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Snacksmaniac posted:

He made the whole school slippery.

I am shattered to pieces!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hughmoris posted:

I am shattered to pieces!

Uh, well, I'm sorry, man, but you know, I didn't mean to hurt you; I didn't mean to thunderstrike you, but that's just... I don't know what else to tell you.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Isn't gently caress only used in the christmas special which was straight to DVD?
I'm pretty sure the Christmas special was the only time they were dropping f-bombs left and right. Which was awesome - it added an extra level of punch to the line "well you can go gently caress yourself in your fat loving rear end."

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

did you gently caress my mom?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bought the book. It's pretty bad.

6 more days dickbags!

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bought the book. It's pretty bad.

6 more days dickbags!

What a jabroni. You know what we do with nerds like you? We bash 'em.

(Seriously, though, was there anything remotely redeeming about it?)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's very short, I only read like the first 5 chapters so far and it's pretty stupid, it's basically monologues written in the characters' voices but they're not really that funny and it doesn't even capture the spirit of the show/characters so it comes off as a rather low effort fan fiction. It's really a quite pointless cash grab.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a shame. The Archer book was stupidly fun, much to my surprise. The whole thing was just an angry man whining about how he wasn't allowed to write a chapter on Cobras or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The extended break was kind of a good thing, I think. I'm really missing Sunny now, only a few more days!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The extended break was kind of a good thing, I think. I'm really missing Sunny now, only a few more days!

I've been conducting a thorough rewatch of any and all episodes I haven't seen recently and yeah, I'm super ready for the new season now.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Read another chapter. The book is poo poo.

I don't remember what was previously posted in this thread about it, the guys didn't actually have anything to do with it did they?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I got all 9 seasons on DVD from amazon the other day for about $40 total, just for the special features/commentaries since I've been fiending for Sunny.

If you don't know, S6 and S9 have extended cuts of Lethal Weapon 5 and 6 (11-13 mins or so), and those cuts have commentary tracks by Dennis, Mac and Charlie in character. They're pretty funny.

More people should do that, the only other DVD I've seen that on is Spinal Tap and it's amazing, it's almost like an entire second Spinal Tap movie.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really hope they used the extra time to writing some amazing stuff. The previews make it seem like this is true.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Electromax posted:

More people should do that, the only other DVD I've seen that on is Spinal Tap and it's amazing, it's almost like an entire second Spinal Tap movie.

UK comedy Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (which was awesome) had a DVD release where all 6 episodes had in-character commentary tracks from the fictional production team.

Robert Downey Jr also apparently made all his contributions to the Tropic Thunder commentary in character as Kirk Lazarus/Lincoln Osiris, possibly as a callback to his line, "I don’t drop character ’til I’ve done the DVD commentary."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I listened to all of the commentary tracks available on youtube and the funniest part is how sick and tired of doing them Charlie is, he is down-right denigrating towards anyone who'd listen to them, he keeps on bitching about how they had to record 7 seasons worth of commentary in a couple of days and he really doesn't appreciate that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I listened to all of the commentary tracks available on youtube and the funniest part is how sick and tired of doing them Charlie is, he is down-right denigrating towards anyone who'd listen to them, he keeps on bitching about how they had to record 7 seasons worth of commentary in a couple of days and he really doesn't appreciate that.

So the commentary tracks only come with newer DVD's or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Criminal Minded posted:

Is it fair to say at this point that Frank is DeVito's defining career role? And if so, has anybody else ever had that kind of overwhelming late-career breakthrough?

Only if you also believe that "Fringe" was Leonard Nimoy's defining career role as well and was a kind of overwhelming late-career breakthrough for him.