Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

No, you really don't. If you wanted to pay for your media, you would pay for it.

I actually do want to pay for the media I consume. I have a cable subscription, Netflix, and Prime (though that's mostly for the shipping). If I like a show enough to own it, I buy the blu-ray or buy it off iTunes. I don't pay for HBO, so I don't watch most of their shows.

The mental gymnastics people go through in order to justify their refusal to pay for things astounds me, both as a fellow consumer and as a content creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wandle Cax posted:

Well if you really really want to pay for it, all media is available for purchase in some way. What you really meant was I want to be able to pay a price I deem reasonable for access to all media I will ever want in one convenient place.

"And if you don't I'm willing to steal it."

Which is actually a line a lot of people wouldn't cross even if they think their cable bill is too high or HBO isn't worth the money. The choice isn't actually "pay or steal". Like, if you think the restaurant is overcharging for a steak it doesn't make dining and dashing the alternative option. You could just eat something/somewhere else.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just finished the first episode of Fargo. I can't remember a pilot since Breaking Bad have so much happen in the first episode. Some stuff I thought was going to happen later in the season - happened NOW!

Do they really keep the pace up for all 10 episodes?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Pretty much. Fargo good. Fargo really good.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

Oh yah.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

"And if you don't I'm willing to steal it."

Which is actually a line a lot of people wouldn't cross even if they think their cable bill is too high or HBO isn't worth the money. The choice isn't actually "pay or steal". Like, if you think the restaurant is overcharging for a steak it doesn't make dining and dashing the alternative option. You could just eat something/somewhere else.

It's not stealing, it's copyright infringement. You can't be charged with theft for downloading (at least in my country), so it's not stealing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Buffy being shot for 4:3 is really glaring when you watch Restless. Special effects just cut out at the edges of the screen, and you can see the Cheese Man waiting for his cue to pop in next to the First Slayer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just finished the first episode of Fargo. I can't remember a pilot since Breaking Bad have so much happen in the first episode. Some stuff I thought was going to happen later in the season - happened NOW!

You know how much critical and popular acclaim True Detective got?

Fargo is better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It still sorta baffles me that people can prefer the (insanely inconsistent towards the end) True Detective to the (10 hour movie with barely any dip in quality) Fargo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well I haven't watched Fargo for starters. And I'm not particularly a fan of the single-writer thing invading North American television lately.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

It still sorta baffles me that people can prefer the (insanely inconsistent towards the end) True Detective to the (10 hour movie with barely any dip in quality) Fargo.

i don't think literally anyone has ever said that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people have and TD is placed higher than Fargo on a lot of year-end lists including the overall AV Club list and maybe Sepinwall's?

Also, to not break the rules of the top 10 thread....man, any time anyone is ever like "I get why a lot of people wouldn't like The Leftovers, because this and this and this", the reasons they give are things that either wouldn't bother me in a show or are things I would actively like (bleak shows, shows with barely any hope of a happy ending, shows without easy answers, shows with characters you're not especially meant to like or sympathise with). Believe it or not, I didn't like The Leftovers because I felt the execution was stupid and boring, not because I can't handle dark shows or whatever excuse y'all need to tell yourselves.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Lots of people have and TD is placed higher than Fargo on a lot of year-end lists including the overall AV Club list and maybe Sepinwall's?

http://www.hitfix.com/news/tvcriticspoll

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

And I'm not particularly a fan of the single-writer thing invading North American television lately.

Because god forbid clarity of vision should infect art.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You said you didn't think "literally anyone ever" had said it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm at the start of the last episode of Gomorra. Holy gently caress. something is getting knocked out of the top ten.

Having no one to talk about this is killing me... Who's making the thread?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Two questions:

I hate doing this but if one was to get into Agents of Shield and doesn't have time to go through all of Season 1, where do they start (I didn't like the first few episodes, but heard it got better when things tied in with Captain America).

I've seen Jane the Virgin pop up a few times on end of year lists, anyone here watch it?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

Two questions:

I hate doing this but if one was to get into Agents of Shield and doesn't have time to go through all of Season 1, where do they start (I didn't like the first few episodes, but heard it got better when things tied in with Captain America).

I've seen Jane the Virgin pop up a few times on end of year lists, anyone here watch it?

If you've seen Cap 2 maybe start at about episode 12... then you get some of the suck, and most of the character progression before the poo poo hits the fan. Otherwise episode 16 "End Of The Beginning" is the episode it goes batshit.

Not commenting on Jane the Virgin, otherwise i'll upset Ravane.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wow, from spearheading a mildly popular science fiction series for four seasons and a bunch of related movies down to a glorified extra in stale CSI:LV. Way to go Ben Browder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"The Comeback" had a really spectacularly satisfying ending. I doubt they'd get another season out of it, but they really shouldn't try to even if they could.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DrVenkman posted:

Jane the Virgin is hilarious and each episode has been consistently entertaining. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but to those who do enjoy wacky soap opera type shows, it's certainly worth a try. My girlfriend and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Just watch the pilot, and you should get a feel for what the show is like.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ravane posted:

Jane the Virgin is hilarious and each episode has been consistently entertaining. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but to those who do enjoy wacky soap opera type shows, it's certainly worth a try. My girlfriend and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Just watch the pilot, and you should get a feel for what the show is like.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

In other news, the more that Elementary goes on the more I really like it. Yes, procedural etc, but it treats the characters like actual people and when it does throw in some canon references, it's usually pretty subtle and with none of the wankery that Sherlock does.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

In other news, the more that Elementary goes on the more I really like it. Yes, procedural etc, but it treats the characters like actual people and when it does throw in some canon references, it's usually pretty subtle and with none of the wankery that Sherlock does.

if your still on season 1, you're in for a loving treat. The crescendo to the last episode is magic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

if your still on season 1, you're in for a loving treat. The crescendo to the last episode is magic.

Ha no, it is great. I actually stopped watching for a while so I'm making my way through Season 2 and I'm about halfway in. Just past the Moriarty episode. It's such an interesting dynamic and puts that traditional nemesis relationship in a different light.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, er...uh.....

quote:

Branson Famous is billed as the TV’s first “reality musical,” which essentially means that its leads occasionally break into song, and not in the singing competition sense. They sing arguments, interview asides, mid-episode backstories—all of the stuff that distinguishes reality TV as a genre. They sing directly to the camera, in chin-to-forehead close-up, their eyes creepily locked on the viewer. The songs are country-karaoke Brechtian alienation effects. They’re also ear-splittingly terrible, but that’s almost beside the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Pxu8-ByJU&t=1049s
:catstare:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
For those of you jumping on Fargo for the first time, you might also try the UK series Utopia. It is phenomenal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

For those of you jumping on Fargo for the first time, you might also try the UK series Utopia. It is phenomenal.

I heard it is depressing and extremely graphic. Truth?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yes and yes. Well, it's not the most gory thing I've ever seen but it is a horrifyingly morbid show. There's at least one scene in the UK version that will absolutely not happen in the Fincher version.

drat good show though.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Definitely graphic and unflinchingly brutally violent at times. I didn't find it depressing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GreenNight posted:

It's no more graphic than Game of Thrones, and it's not really depressing, just dark.

It's also been cancelled, ended on a cliff hanger, and is being remade by HBO with David Fincher, so wether it's worth it is kind of up for debate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's slightly amusing that not more than a handful of posts after the piracy chat concluded, someone recommends a show that's pretty much impossible to watch legally in the US.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bull3964 posted:

It's slightly amusing that not more than a handful of posts after the piracy chat concluded, someone recommends a show that's pretty much impossible to watch legally in the US.

not all of us live in the us, :wow:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Episodes were up on youtube for a long time; not sure whether that's still the case. Things on youtube are fair game under TVIV rules since it's on the production companies to demand a copyright takedown.

Also series one is available on Blu-ray and at least some of these don't appear to be region-locked. And if you're willing to wait, I will be shocked if Netflix or someone doesn't pick up the streaming rights before the Fincher/HBO remake starts.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

And it is totally worth a watch, as the Fincher version will deviate heavily from the source material.

Don't wait. Pause Fargo and find a way to acquire Utopia.*

*Legally, I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hcreight posted:

Episodes were up on youtube for a long time; not sure whether that's still the case. Things on youtube are fair game under TVIV rules since it's on the production companies to demand a copyright takedown.

Also series one is available on Blu-ray and I think there of non-region locked versions of the discs. And if you're willing to wait, I will be shocked if Netflix or someone doesn't pick up the streaming rights before the Fincher/HBO remake starts.

Youtube episodes may be fair game for TVIV, but it's still copyright infringement.

There seems to be two blu-rays avaliable on amazon from third party sellers and each one has something in their comments about not working on some players. My guess is that there's a mix of region free and all-region discs out there and one will work on a region locked player and the other will not. So, it may be a crapshoot to purchase.

My only point was to highlight the fact that it isn't exactly easy to always buy legally. You can buy legally if the content provider has determined that it's time to sell their product in your particular region.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, gently caress that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hcreight posted:

Yes and yes. Well, it's not the most gory thing I've ever seen but it is a horrifyingly morbid show. There's at least one scene in the UK version that will absolutely not happen in the Fincher version.

drat good show though.

I saw both seasons and can't think of anything that Fincher wouldn't do.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Make it interesting?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not that Fincher wouldn't do it, it's that HBO execs wouldn't let him, lest members of the public start calling for their heads. It sounds like Fincher's version will be enough of its own thing that the issue won't come up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

HBO hasn't shied away from terrorism, rape, gory violence, incest, etc. I don't think "that scene" would get removed as much as it would be more likely only alluded to or hinted at.

But yeah, it's a non-issue as his version likely won't go there anyway. They're going to be drastically different, by all accounts, it seems.

• Locked thread