Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol.

there is a *thunk* which can be felt and heard by all occupants on the 3-4 shift

the spare tire well is full of water because the trunk weatherstripping leaks

WTF.

how is a brand-new car so lovely.

The only remarkable thing here is how surprised you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol.

there is a *thunk* which can be felt and heard by all occupants on the 3-4 shift

the spare tire well is full of water because the trunk weatherstripping leaks

WTF.

how is a brand-new car so lovely.

"Fleet vehicle"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

theacox posted:

"Fleet vehicle"

Chrysler Corp Fleet Vehicle, no less.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

theacox posted:

"Fleet vehicle"

The only really bad rental I've had recently was a Cruze. I've had a Yaris, a Corolla, a Camry and a Focus which have all been perfectly fine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fuckin Cruze. That was an aggressively mediocre car to beat all aggressively mediocre cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Fuckin Cruze. That was an aggressively mediocre car to beat all aggressively mediocre cars.

To be fair 'aggressively mediocre' describes those Toyotas too - at least they're a fair bit better screwed together than that Holden though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Right. Not better than the Cobalt in any real metric, and at least the Cobalt was kind of interesting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did the cobalt come with a turbo petrol engine or a really, really good diesel? Cause the cruze does.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The cobalt SS came with a turbocharged 2 liter, and supercharged 2 liter.

The turbocharged one was one of the fastest FWD cars ever built at the time, in a strait line or around most tracks.

The cobalt still carries on the legacy of the caviler before it, mainly the "least likely car on the road to have insurance" title.

They didn't make a cruise coupe, so it will probably lose that to the genesis coupe.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Did the cobalt come with a turbo petrol engine or a really, really good diesel? Cause the cruze does.

Well the rental was the normal 1.8 petrol, but I've also driven a diesel and thought that was pretty bad too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fair enough. My impression of the cruze I drove was that it was a quantum leap forward from the preceeding vectra/astra models, but that admittedly isn't much of an achievement.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The current worst GM rental car is the Malibu with the 2.5L engine. It weighs only 3300 lbs but feels like a small bus. The engine is supposed to produce 197hp but has trouble with small hills and the automatic will fight you to the point of revving the engine up but producing no power like a petulant child. After you've trained it the power is better but often it still just revs to the moon with no power like some sort of retarded CVT or a hosed Ford AXOD.

The onboard infotainment system UI looks like a deviantart skin designed by someone who just stumbled upon photoshop while chewing on a few grams of mushrooms. Handling is like a rock tumbler wherein everything inside the car will eat window as it lurches around corners. All the interior fit and finish is trying hard to be premium but nothing quite lines up correctly. The stalks are massive cylindrical posts invented by someone with gigantic hands and no concept of ergonomics. The key is like a cargo cult version of an Audi key expect the actual key is thinner and shittier, and the fob itself is this massive thing that has no real feel between buttons so I can't tell what that gently caress is going on in the dark.

The sound system is not all about that bass. Turning up dat bass does nothing. It will spin the tires on every spirited left and right hand turn from a stop and then the traction control will LOSE ITS poo poo and take away all power from the wheels as it gulps a valium and does its breathing exercises, fluttering its hands up and down chanting soothing words. The headrests can't be removed so your carseat will just dig right in and can never be properly tightened. It chews through fuel like the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet the movie as the onboard display tries to convince you its doing 35mpg.

8ender fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm basically avoiding rental cars until the last of the old impalas/old chrysler 200s leave the lots.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

8ender posted:

An eloquent assessment

Can I steal this?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Can I steal this?

Go for it. I hate this car so much. gently caress the lady in the Mercedes SUV who hosed up my hatch and put me in this hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

The current worst GM rental car is the Malibu with the 2.5L engine. It weighs only 3300 lbs but feels like a small bus. The engine is supposed to produce 197hp but has trouble with small hills and the automatic will fight you to the point of revving the engine up but producing no power like a petulant child. After you've trained it the power is better but often it still just revs to the moon with no power like some sort of retarded CVT or a hosed Ford AXOD.

The onboard infotainment system UI looks like a deviantart skin designed by someone who just stumbled upon photoshop while chewing on a few grams of mushrooms. Handling is like a rock tumbler wherein everything inside the car will eat window as it lurches around corners. All the interior fit and finish is trying hard to be premium but nothing quite lines up correctly. The stalks are massive cylindrical posts invented by someone with gigantic hands and no concept of ergonomics. The key is like a cargo cult version of an Audi key expect the actual key is thinner and shittier, and the fob itself is this massive thing that has no real feel between buttons so I can't tell what that gently caress is going on in the dark.

The sound system is not all about that bass. Turning up dat bass does nothing. It will spin the tires on every spirited left and right hand turn from a stop and then the traction control will LOSE ITS poo poo and take away all power from the wheels as it gulps a valium and does its breathing exercises, fluttering its hands up and down chanting soothing words. The headrests can't be removed so your carseat will just dig right in and can never be properly tightened. It chews through fuel like the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet the movie as the onboard display tries to convince you its doing 35mpg.

90% certain you just described a Ford escape.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm in a rental Mustang now. I used to think it was hatefully underpowered, then I discovered the floor mat was bunched up under the accelerator. I fixed it and clipped it into its little floor mat posts. The floor mat migrated right back to under the accelerator like it belongs there. I stuffed it behind the front seat in frustration.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Safety Dance posted:

I'm in a rental Mustang now. I used to think it was hatefully underpowered, then I discovered the floor mat was bunched up under the accelerator. I fixed it and clipped it into its little floor mat posts. The floor mat migrated right back to under the accelerator like it belongs there. I stuffed it behind the front seat in frustration.

Yay ford floor mats.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Fair enough. My impression of the cruze I drove was that it was a quantum leap forward from the preceeding vectra/astra models, but that admittedly isn't much of an achievement.

Eh I thought the last shape Astra was actually a really competent little car

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm basically avoiding rental cars until the last of the old impalas/old chrysler 200s leave the lots.

This is gonna take way longer than it should, because rental companies love the old Impala so much that GM still makes it for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Theris posted:

This is gonna take way longer than it should, because rental companies love the old Impala so much that GM still makes it for them.

I thought they were just keeping it for 2014, but it turns out they're actually keeping it going through 2016 http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/impala-limited-fleet-special-lives-on-to-at-least-2016-keeps-oshawa-open/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I enjoyed TTAC's assessment of the new malibu.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/07/review-2015-chevrolet-malibu-eco-ls/

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

They've even started to try and flog off that turd in Australia. http://www.holden.com.au/cars/malibu

Strangely enough, I've NEVER seen one on the road yet

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Step 1) pick 200hp engine to satisfy customers who obsess over power
2) economy tune the engine and gearbox so it feels like 80hp in actual use
3) put "35mpg!!!!" sticker on window
4) go bankrupt again and wonder why

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

90% certain you just described a Ford escape.

90% certain it's a description of the 200 that started this discussion.

I was bestowed a 200 a couple years ago when my DD was totalled in a wreck, what a hateful miserable machine. We had a few inches of snow around that time and I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me (or at the very least trying to end its own miserable existence). The faintest dusting of ice would tigger an epileptic fit from the ABS without ever managing to actually slow the vehicle.

Giving it the "imported from detriot" slogan is the surest sign that the city is dead and we're all just waiting for the funeral.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I was bestowed a 200 a couple years ago when my DD was totalled in a wreck, what a hateful miserable machine. We had a few inches of snow around that time and I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me (or at the very least trying to end its own miserable existence). The faintest dusting of ice would tigger an epileptic fit from the ABS without ever managing to actually slow the vehicle.

Giving it the "imported from detriot" slogan is the surest sign that the city is dead and we're all just waiting for the funeral.

Its what Chrysler gets for killing the Jeep XJ.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress the ford escape. My parents have one.

Seats made of cardboard. poo poo pedal feel. poo poo dash. poo poo everything.

They drove it off the used lot and it immediately poo poo itself due to the abs tone rings rusting off.

Recently they had to replace another one.

poo poo gas millage.

There are very few US made cars I would actually recommend buying these days.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Yeah this pretty much echoes my own experience. I'd also like to add that the engine sounds like a bleating cow and the stop start feature feels/sounds like the car is being restarted with a gunpowder shell. My rental also has a thermostat issue at only 30k kms and won't fully heat up.

The bodyshop that fixed my car managed to make it throw about 10 trouble codes after the repair so I'm stuck in this semi-permanent hell while they figure out how to fix an Audi.

8ender fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 29, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

8ender posted:

Yeah this pretty much echoes my own experience. I'd also like to add that the engine sounds like a bleating cow and the stop start feature feels/sounds like the car is being restarted with a gunpowder shell. My rental also has a thermostat issue at only 30k kms and won't fully heat up.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJpZfp0Ss2U

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ok thats super cool but if the engine stop start feature feels like this at 30k kms then at 100k kms when the motor mounts get soft I assume the engine is going to tear itself out of the bay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

DOT usually doesn't allow imports from Third World countries, not sure how that one got through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

They've even started to try and flog off that turd in Australia. http://www.holden.com.au/cars/malibu

Strangely enough, I've NEVER seen one on the road yet

Interesting. I like it how Ford have the Mondeo while Holden have a string of achingly terrible models that last a few years before being canned for the next saviour of the midsize segment.

I'm looking at you, Epica.

Slow is Fast posted:

gently caress the ford escape. My parents have one.

Seats made of cardboard. poo poo pedal feel. poo poo dash. poo poo everything.

They drove it off the used lot and it immediately poo poo itself due to the abs tone rings rusting off.

Recently they had to replace another one.

poo poo gas millage.

There are very few US made cars I would actually recommend buying these days.

I'm assuming that by 'these days' you're meaning 'past thirty years'.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Put your nuclear arms reserve to good use and put Detroit out of its misery already.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

Last year around this time my Golf was in for a new hood and headlight due to a tboned truck flipping and landing on the hood while I was at a light. I got to drive a 200 for a week. It snowed, I thought I was going to die. Also, somehow the car got worse mileage and had shittier performance than my old 2.0 liter in my 95 Jetta.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

You could apply that review to 90% of GM's lineup for the past 30 years. Hell even Chrysler and Ford brought out cars that were somewhat new and innovative in their class like the Neon and Taurus at one point.

But GM? Their main lineup of cars are so bland it is almost shocking.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
My brother-in-law says my wifes car needed a new harmonic balancer. Didn't realize how bad it actually was until I drove it to work on Friday. We replaced it on Saturday.

It had a slight rattle before... Who am I kidding, I could hear this thing a mile away.

The metal damage was caused by us trying to get the bolt off. Tried for an hour before we got the suggestion to crank the motor once. Popped right out after that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slavvy posted:

Interesting. I like it how Ford have the Mondeo while Holden have a string of achingly terrible models that last a few years before being canned for the next saviour of the midsize segment.

I'm looking at you, Epica.

I'm assuming that by 'these days' you're meaning 'past thirty years'.

Last few years?
There's a few reasons why I like ford australia over gmh.
Fiesta, focus, mondeo and falcon are pretty good cars. Previous to them ford used mazda based cars. GMH always had terrible Opels and now Korean cars, before that isuzus.
There was a short dark period inbetween with ford and KIA though.

I still think the falcon was better than the commodore until the VF (when ford au had given up but the falcon was better than the v6 VE for sure). The 4L straight 6 is better than any gm v6, the car is better all round - I've got my 2004 BA mk2 to compare with my partners 05 VZ, the VZ has shittier everything, feel less solid, woeful dash, doors, switches and instruments in comparison.
The only thing GM has is the LSx if you want a V8 on the cheap, that's it. Fords got the turbo 6, LPI 6, ecoboost 3 and 4cyl, ZF g/b
The VF is pretty good, but for a complete lineup from fiesta to falcon/gex and ranger, ford kills it. GM sells the VF LSx and nothing else that isn't rubbish (e: down here)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I do love a good GM Hate-fest. After my family had 2 Luminas with the miserable L82 3100 that died for the same stupid reason I realized GM does suck as much as I've heard.

Apparently the forumula is 3100 V6 + Dexcool ('Death-cool') = Rotten Intake Manifold Gaskets - Which leads to overheating and sometimes even wiped bearings as some of the coolant ends up in the bottom end of the engine (!?)

gently caress off and die General Motors.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But guys you need to support our economy :sperg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So buy a Toyota????