Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Got my Anova precision on Friday and immediately used it on some thick sirloin steaks. It worked great. I'm currently doing some chicken breasts, but I have a question. In both cases, it appears as though air has somehow gotten into the bags. It doesn't look like any water has gotten in, and it doesn't look like any of the meat juices have leaked out. Is this just a result of the little remaining post-vacuum air expanding? Also, I'm wondering what you do with the white sludge that comes off the BSCB. Should I just wipe it off with a paper towel? Should I rinse off the chicken breast before using them?

It's probably some air pocket that didn't get vacuumed out, you're fine.

Wipe off the chicken breasts or rinse, either is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Last year I got my girlfriend an anova. This year she returned the favor!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I just gave a friend an Anova. He wants to try some swordfish, which is not a thing I've sous vided before (in fact I've never done any kind of fish). There's been lots of talk of salmon, but swordfish seems pretty different. Any tips?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Choadmaster posted:

I just gave a friend an Anova. He wants to try some swordfish, which is not a thing I've sous vided before (in fact I've never done any kind of fish). There's been lots of talk of salmon, but swordfish seems pretty different. Any tips?

I googled it. Suggested times and temps look a lot like salmon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't swordfish one of those overfished and filled with mercury fishes?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/swordfish

It doesn't cover mercury (I assume people with mercury-related risks ought to avoid it, but it's OK for the rest of us in moderation) but it shows several well-managed fisheries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What are your favorite things to do with boneless skinless chicken breasts?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Chicken skewers with a thai peanut sauce are great. Also chicken burgers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Phanatic posted:

Scaloppine/piccata, although that's not really something you'd do with a puddle machine. In terms of showcasing what you can accomplish by doing them sous vide, just doing a couple chicken breasts rare, whipping up some pressure cooker stock, making gravy, and then doing something like a traditional roast chicken presentation only with the chicken rare is a pretty good crowd pleaser. Assuming your crowd doesn't freak the gently caress out just because the bird isn't dead white or something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

One of the great things to do with skinless, boneless chicken breasts is to throw them away and never use them for anything ever again. They're the most boring meat.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

a foolish pianist posted:

One of the great things to do with skinless, boneless chicken breasts is to throw them away and never use them for anything ever again. They're the most boring meat.

Perhaps, but a little salt, pepper, and lemon pepper makes them quite tolerable straight from the puddle.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

Wow what a hot take. :eyepop:

Can I subscribe to your newsletter, good sir?

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Phanatic posted:

I shred the chicken and add it to a romaine/butter leaf salad with various other veggies and a light oil/lemon juice/shallot/garlic dressing. The chicken stays so moist, and the salad makes a really simple but delicious lunch that's easy to throw together at the office.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Bag with some good homemade red chile sauce (or taco sauce if you are lazy). 140F for maybe 30-60 minutes longer than you would to just reach temp. Take out of the water bath and let it cool slightly so you don't burn your hands in the next step. Shred in the bag. It should be tender to just mush around in the bag and shred it all up.

Make tacos. The best shredded chicken tacos ever.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Isn't swordfish one of those overfished and filled with mercury fishes?

Swordfish is a huge conservation success story -- everyone who gave a drat stopped eating it for about a decade and with good management, it rebounded. Mercury's an issue as it's an apex predator, but that just means you have to space it out or, if your a woman planning on popping a sprog, skip it. We could do the same thing for most endangered fishes but people don't give a poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

Swordfish is a huge conservation success story -- everyone who gave a drat stopped eating it for about a decade and with good management, it rebounded. Mercury's an issue as it's an apex predator, but that just means you have to space it out or, if your a woman planning on popping a sprog, skip it. We could do the same thing for most endangered fishes but people don't give a poo poo.

Good to know. I haven't had it in probably 20 years. I remember eating it when I was a kid, my mom would get bags of frozen steaks at Costco. I liked it then but looking back I'm sure it was overcooked and probably not that good. But I was going through a pretty serious lemon-pepper phase so I was fine with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think it was taken off the endangered species list something like 15-20 years ago in fact. I remember just because I saw it pop up on a menu at a restaurant and I ordered it, asked the waiter hey isn't this endangered? And he explained that they just became available a week ago after being taken off the endangered list.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Finally got a chance to play around with my Anova Precision yesterday and today. Only got to check the temperature stability yesterday (awesome, within 0.1 F of my Thermapen), and today, I used it to vizzle something for the first time. JFC, you fuckers were not kidding about vizzled eggs. Holy loving poo poo.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like to take boneless skinless chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot with salsa. The best thing is, you don't even need a sous vide controller, you can let them cook all day. :q:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Schpyder posted:

Finally got a chance to play around with my Anova Precision yesterday and today. Only got to check the temperature stability yesterday (awesome, within 0.1 F of my Thermapen), and today, I used it to vizzle something for the first time. JFC, you fuckers were not kidding about vizzled eggs. Holy loving poo poo.

What time and temp was this, and did you poach them afterwards? I've tried eggs twice so far and while they've been good, they have yet to come out looking as good as yours.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mikey Purp posted:

What time and temp was this, and did you poach them afterwards? I've tried eggs twice so far and while they've been good, they have yet to come out looking as good as yours.

Fresh eggs. The ticket is stupid-fresh eggs. The second you can't separate the loose and tight whites easily is the second vizzling eggs becomes mediocre.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Test Pattern posted:

Fresh eggs. The ticket is stupid-fresh eggs. The second you can't separate the loose and tight whites easily is the second vizzling eggs becomes mediocre.

I have had problems even with fresh eggs. I figured the "boil 3 minutes, ice bath to cool, vizzle 62C for an hour" approach would work, but the whites don't set enough and are impossible to peel. I usually have to boil them again to get the whites to set. One time the whites set great but the yolks turned to fudge. Good but not what I was going for.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have had problems even with fresh eggs. I figured the "boil 3 minutes, ice bath to cool, vizzle 62C for an hour" approach would work, but the whites don't set enough and are impossible to peel. I usually have to boil them again to get the whites to set. One time the whites set great but the yolks turned to fudge. Good but not what I was going for.

Yeah, this has been my experience exactly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why boil it? Just dump them in the water. I like to make mine at 65C and those are pretty solid.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
no pictures to post yet but my parents surprised the poo poo out of me and I got an anova for the holidays! they also got me a couple of sizes of cambro bins to use it with. it's a huge upgrade from my ramshackle arduino + crock pot contraption I was using to sous vide on the cheap, i've been making a fuckload of eggs and putting them in sandwiches, salads, and pastas so far. tonight i'm doing chicken breasts to go with my massamun curry, super stoked

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mikey Purp posted:

Those were the 167F x 13min eggs, no operation afterwards except running under cold water for like 15s to make them easier to handle and peel. From what I read before starting, that gave the exact combo of slightly firmer whites with a still runny, velvety yolk. A lot of the lower temp + longer time sv eggs seem to have much runnier whites than I'd like for the yolk consistency I prefer. Still gonna try a few other options, though. I really wanna make some onsen tamago at some point.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Finally heard back from Anova, they supposed shipped my pair of IC's on the 2nd, but the tracking never updated beyond "Label Created."

New shipment went out Monday, and this time the tracking number is actually showing movement! I should be vizzling Friday!

Gonna break it in with some eggs, and I've got a Dry Aged Prime Strip just waiting to take a dip.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With fresh eggs I usually just puddle for 45 minutes, then break into a slotted spoon to seperate the loose whites and boil/simmer until the whites are firm (30 secs maybe?). With old eggs I lose a lot of whites, but would with a traditional poach regardless.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have a 1.5" center cut bone-in pork chop that I want to make today, but when I look online, I see wildly different cook times. Serious Eats claims 45 minutes at 140 for a double thick pork chop cooked to medium, Chef Steps claims 45 minutes at 144 for medium rare, and this chart from Poly Science claims 1 hour 45 minutes at 145 for a 1.75" pork chop to reach temperature at the core and 4 hours 2 minutes for a 1.75" pork chop to be pasteurized to the core. I also checked with a sous vide app that my brother has and it was suggesting around 3 hours to reach core temperature and a little longer to be pasteurized to the core.

Needless to say, I'm confused and I am going to wait and wait and cook this for dinner instead of lunch. So my questions are what temperature should I cook a 1.5" pork chop at? Should I cook it until it reaches temperature at the core or pasteurized at the core? And finally how long should I cook it for? Normally this isn't hard to figure out, but I'm seeing such wildly varying cooking times that it is giving me pause.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd just go with reaching temp at core. Unless you punched a bunch of holes to let bacteria into the interior of the pork chop, I don't think you need to bother with pasteurizing all the way to the center.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm reading http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

They say it can be used in any pot, but obviously I can't use it with a lid. Is the expectation that with the temperature / time so low I won't experience much evaporation?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

For cooks under four hours, evaporation isn't an issue. For multi-day cooks, use plastic wrap / tin foil to make a lid, and check your water level every day or so.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gently caress, my Anova died today. Thought it was corrosion on the low water sensor but after cleaning that with vinegar, it's still beeping after about a minute. Now the display is acting up too, thinking it might be the electronics. Could it be the condensation from the water? I was going to make those creamy scrambled eggs too :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Steve Yun posted:

I'd just go with reaching temp at core. Unless you punched a bunch of holes to let bacteria into the interior of the pork chop, I don't think you need to bother with pasteurizing all the way to the center.

Thank you for the response. I'll go with reaching temperature at core and will follow the Polyscience time of 1 hour 45 minutes and maybe let it cook 15-30 minutes longer to get a little more tender.

Out of curiosity, when you guys cook steaks sous vide do you put them out for an hour to get to room temperature like you would if you were grilling or does that not matter as much with sous vide?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Which model of the Anova is the best to buy? I don't care about the $20 price difference.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I did some radical, delicious steaks and hot wings last night for dinner.

I had the leftover grease from cooking my carbonara (basically onion, garlic and mushroom infused bacon fat) and so I got this super hot and seared steaks that were done at 58C in the sous vide in it. Absolutely phenomenal, great crust, tender throughout, just brilliant.

Hot wings weren't sous vide but IMVHO you could sous vide the wings to cook them through, then dry the outside and do them. I coated mine in potato starch and paprika, fried them, and coated them in my buffalo sauce which is basically 250g butter, 300ml franks red hot, a small bottle of tabasco, and half a bottle each of tepatio and Cholula which gave it something of a smokey heat. Brilliant. Oh and brown sugar

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

[redacted]

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Aniki posted:

Thank you for the response. I'll go with reaching temperature at core and will follow the Polyscience time of 1 hour 45 minutes and maybe let it cook 15-30 minutes longer to get a little more tender.

Out of curiosity, when you guys cook steaks sous vide do you put them out for an hour to get to room temperature like you would if you were grilling or does that not matter as much with sous vide?

Doesn't matter. However

Aniki posted:

Doesn't matter with sous vide. It's going to get it to target temp whether it starts from 40 degrees or 80. Thawing from frozen might be a different matter.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tonight is guys night, so that means, steak, bourbon, brussel sprouts, mashed potato, and caesar salad.

I'm going to be picking up a couple of nice steaks (torn on strip/tbone vs ribeye) and debating using the umamai booster from Modernist.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. MSG (freaked out? Don’t be)
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. roasted garlic, minced
1 tbsp. blue cheese
½ tsp. anchovy paste
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.

I figure that, then two-ish hours at 129.6 for a nice medium rare while i make the potatoes ahead of time for re-heating.

Has anyone tried the above booster? Does it interfere with any finishing flavors like a compound/regular butter? Can you make a killer pan sauce out of it after the puddle?
Has anyone compared sear then puddle vs puddle then sear? Is it worth doing backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Tonight is guys night, so that means, steak, bourbon, brussel sprouts, mashed potato, and caesar salad.

I'm going to be picking up a couple of nice steaks (torn on strip/tbone vs ribeye) and debating using the umamai booster from Modernist.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. MSG (freaked out? Don’t be)
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. roasted garlic, minced
1 tbsp. blue cheese
½ tsp. anchovy paste
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.

I figure that, then two-ish hours at 129.6 for a nice medium rare while i make the potatoes ahead of time for re-heating.

Has anyone tried the above booster? Does it interfere with any finishing flavors like a compound/regular butter? Can you make a killer pan sauce out of it after the puddle?
Has anyone compared sear then puddle vs puddle then sear? Is it worth doing backwards?

Yep, a couple of weeks back I did two bone in rib eyes, one marinated in the umami booster for 24 hours, the other done traditionally with a presear. People liked the umami steak better, although both were delicious. It is definitely a noticeable flavor, but not overpowering. If I were going to use it with an add'l accoutrement I'd probably stick with something complimentary like blue cheese, sautéed mushrooms etc.

We also found that a presear is not really worth it, as there wasn't any noticeable difference from others I've done in the past.