Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I need a reversal gif of saber eating sandwhichs. unlimited sandwich works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

Shirou has a peculiar form of quantum immortality: if he ever acted even slightly differently he would immediately die for reasons that he couldn't possibly have known ahead of time. So whenever you seem him act stupid, keep in mind that in another timeline there was another Shirou who acted smart and immediately died.
Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about that. In the game, at literally every decision point the seemingly smart decision was the wrong one and lead to your death. That's probably something to think about, because it's most definitely quite intentional.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I love how you don't even bother thinking about the character's actions and just go shitpost in this thread instead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless one is being willfully dense I don't think any of the past whatever pages counts as shitposting. The disagreements/discussions going on at the moment are fine if not welcome.

Lord Justice posted:

Shirou fighting Servants
This is kinda sorta another one of those "contrast" elements. Shirou is really weak, but his poor little Saber got hurt fighting Berserker in Fate so much of that route is spent with him being sexist towards her and learning by the end that he really just needs to get out of Saber's way. In UBW, due to various circumstances (sometimes via But Thou Must choices), Shirou has to deal with poo poo himself when he really would prefer to have Saber take care of things.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I need a reversal gif of saber eating sandwhichs. unlimited sandwich works

The sandwich eats saber

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So what is Caster's knife meant to do again? She said it "undoes magic", at least according to my subtitles, but I don't see how that would let her nick Shiro's seals*.

*Speaking of which: Shiro had two left, Caster blew one ordering Saber to kill Rin and she still had some later in the episode... so she clearly hasn't ordered Sabre not to stab her. Why's Saber not stabbing her?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Dzhay posted:

So what is Caster's knife meant to do again? She said it "undoes magic", at least according to my subtitles, but I don't see how that would let her nick Shiro's seals*.

*Speaking of which: Shiro had two left, Caster blew one ordering Saber to kill Rin and she still had some later in the episode... so she clearly hasn't ordered Sabre not to stab her. Why's Saber not stabbing her?

He and Rin had one seal left each.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Clarste posted:

Shirou has a peculiar form of quantum immortality: if he ever acted even slightly differently he would immediately die for reasons that he couldn't possibly have known ahead of time. So whenever you seem him act stupid, keep in mind that in another timeline there was another Shirou who acted smart and immediately died.

I love this explanation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The relationship between Master and Servant is effectively a magical spell in the form of a contract. Since Rule Breaker can "dispel magic" it can nullify such a contract.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Shirou had *one* seal, and he used it to stop Saber from attacking Caster. Caster's Rule Breaker cancelled the contract between Saber and Shirou. All the rest was Caster herself being a mage of such immense power that she bends the rules of the Grail War- in this case, forcing a new contract upon Saber against her will and conjuring up a full set of Command Spells out of thin air even though the Grail only gives out 21 in any instance of the war.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Shirou had *one* seal, and he used it to stop Saber from attacking Caster. Caster's Rule Breaker cancelled the contract between Saber and Shirou. All the rest was Caster herself being a mage of such immense power that she bends the rules of the Grail War- in this case, forcing a new contract upon Saber against her will and conjuring up a full set of Command Spells out of thin air even though the Grail only gives out 21 in any instance of the war.

Well, - spoiler for the next season-the set of command spells in the war in this moment is still 21. The reason is that Kuzuki, while acting as a "anchor", does not have any command spell
I think that if we want to continue the discussion we should go in the Type Moon topic.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 29, 2014

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm pretty sure that servants cannot directly kill their masters. If they could, it wouldn't make sense why they'd ever stick around with masters they hate, since they'd have countless opportunities to kill them and find someone else. I think that having your servant's command seals implies a "you shall not harm me" command is already in place. Or else most people would have to use one of their command seals at the very beginning just to be able to sleep at night.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cephas posted:

I'm pretty sure that servants cannot directly kill their masters. If they could, it wouldn't make sense why they'd ever stick around with masters they hate, since they'd have countless opportunities to kill them and find someone else. I think that having your servant's command seals implies a "you shall not harm me" command is already in place. Or else most people would have to use one of their command seals at the very beginning just to be able to sleep at night.

No, they can, it's just too risky. First of all, a Master can kill a Servant with a single word. And a Master usually is a skilled mage, so even an attack made at night could not kill him for whatever reason.
Also, a Servant without Master (usually) has 1-2 hours max to find another Master. The risk of not finding someone during this short time is just too high.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dzhay posted:

She got new seals by forming a new contract with Saber against her will. Not that it makes a tremendous amount of sense she could do so. We can just say a witch did it, although Caster would get pissed off at that explanation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Aumanor posted:

Shirou had *one* seal, and he used it to stop Saber from attacking Caster.
Just to clarify further, using up all of your Command Spells doesn't negate the contract with your Servant. It does however make you vulnerable if your Servant is unruly and if you need the Servant to perform an action they normally would not be capable of (such as teleportation).

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

She got new seals by forming a new contract with Saber against her will. Not that it makes a tremendous amount of sense she could do so. We can just say a witch did it, although Caster would get pissed off at that explanation.

Well, she should probably stop cackling while wearing a hooded robe, floating and casting evil magicks then. People are going to get the wrong idea.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Found this today. Despite its meh writing, I have to say that it was somewhat amusing.

Plus, the Servant/Master faction vs. Zouken at the end was pretty awesome.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The writer is a steam friend of mine and even he thinks that fic is dumb.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Ugh, I enjoy a good cross over but that's coming on way too strong even for me.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Angry Grimace posted:

I love this explanation.

It's true, too.

It got to the point in the VN that when I picked the dumbest possible option and instantly died, I got mad that they would TRICK ME like that. Anything that stupid has to be the right choice!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's thematically appropriate to her, which was the whole point of it I think. It's not clear if it was a weapon she had in life, or whether it was the "manifestation of her legend" that some Noble Phantasms are, but either way it suits her pretty well.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Didn't Caster take Taiga hostage and steal Shirou's command seals in the VN? Or was that just me?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Variant_Eris posted:

Didn't Caster take Taiga hostage and steal Shirou's command seals in the VN? Or was that just me?

Taiga is taken as a hostage yes, though in the VN they come home from the date and it goes down at the household instead of the bridge IIRC.

I think it's less command seal theft as a whole and more "I ended your contract and formed a new one immediately" which would probably replenish the lost three? It's kind of fuzzy how switching Masters works.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Yosuke posted:

Taiga is taken as a hostage yes, though in the VN they come home from the date and it goes down at the household instead of the bridge IIRC.

I think it's less command seal theft as a whole and more "I ended your contract and formed a new one immediately" which would probably replenish the lost three? It's kind of fuzzy how switching Masters works.

I think that's how it works. In the VN and anime, Caster gets three Command Spells from hitting Saber with Rule Breaker. Shirou only had one left at the time his contract ended, if I recall.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
If there's anything you can take from Fate/Zero and to a greater degree this series, it's that the rules of the Grail War don't matter a whole lot.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sylphid posted:

I think that's how it works. In the VN and anime, Caster gets three Command Spells from hitting Saber with Rule Breaker. Shirou only had one left at the time his contract ended, if I recall.

He had zero. He used the last one to stop Saber from attacking Caster. The previous two were used to stop Saber from attacking Archer and Tohsaka (am I sensing a pattern here?) and to summon Saber to school when Rider's Noble Phantasm was activated (this one doesn't seem to fit the other two), respectively.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Barent posted:

If there's anything you can take from Fate/Zero and to a greater degree this series, it's that the rules of the Grail War don't matter a whole lot.

Well, I don't think any of the Nasuverse rules matter that much, given that they're broken and reforged depending on the circumstances. There's probably 50+ magi-heretics out there with Reality Marbles that the Association doesn't know about.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yosuke posted:

Normally you have to use the Command Spells you already have to form a new contract like that. Caster's ability to just make new Command Spells is kind of bullshit.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't remember him spending his last command spell there in the VN.

Edit: thought this was the other thread, i'm dum

Blhue fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 1, 2015

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure Shirou blows his last command spell in the same way in the VN.

Also Caster can do all sorts of weird things, with her being a fake Master and whatever. I think Caster just has a special affinity with cheating. There's all sorts of things she can do against the logic of the War that sound absurd because she's such a good cheater.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

I don't remember him spending his last command spell there in the VN. Spoilers regarding the second cour.

First of all, spoiler that poo poo, we have a spoiler thread for exactly that loving reason and yet some people keep on doing this, come on. Second, regarding the non-spoiler part of the comment:

Seorin posted:

"No, stop, Saber…!!!!"

I pray from the bottom of my heart and reach out with my left arm.

Saber stops.
Her movements are stopped by the absolute obedience enforced by the Command Spell.

Myriad Truths posted:

Also Caster can do all sorts of weird things, with her being a fake Master and whatever. I think Caster just has a special affinity with cheating. There's all sorts of things she can do against the logic of the War that sound absurd because she's such a good cheater.
This is something that might be better dicussed in the spoiler thread, but there might be a logical explanation for why Caster can gently caress with the rules of the War so much.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you should probably just close this thread and make a new thread next cour, beef waifu

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Cake Attack posted:

you should probably just close this thread and make a new thread next cour, beef waifu

Please just do this. I don't understand why this thread is a microcosm of spectacular spoiler retardation.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm probably gonna do just that.

You nerds have got until I get home in the new year and I'm closing this bitch down.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Righto.

So anyone catch that pointless Kara no Kyoukai: Extra Chorus short story/thing? At this point, I feel like ufotable is trying to mooch off money from the masses.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Variant_Eris posted:

Righto.

So anyone catch that pointless Kara no Kyoukai: Extra Chorus short story/thing? At this point, I feel like ufotable is trying to mooch off money from the masses.

We have a Type Moon thread goddammit

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 1, 2015

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
my bad, didn't check which thread I was in before posting. edited it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's over