Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I personally think there oughta be a quid pro quo rule for in-depth crit requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fanky Malloons posted:

*I do understand why this rules exists, because people don't know when to STFU and it can poo poo up the thread hardcore and if difficult to police. I jusy don't like it :mad:

Yeah but if someone is exceptionally bad, can't they just be dealt with through the ordinary probation system already? This rule more seems likely to encourage in-thread backseat modding which is never fun or interesting to read.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm fully aware that in recent months, through my continuous participation in the 'dome, I've been getting more aggressive and more irritating to certain persons. I'd just like to say that I'm sorry and that I'm fully aware of my conduct and attitude here and elsewhere. I'm not some kind of egotistical jerk, or at least I try not to be. I'm just a bad writer who often times gets an ego and figures out that I've messed up before it's too late.

benny stop loving talking about awareness of behavior instead of changing it, god drat

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

I personally think there oughta be a quid pro quo rule for in-depth crit requests.

A rule? Naah. Thunderdome don't need more rules. But a general acceptance that this is the mannerly thing to do? Sure, I'd be down with that.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
It didn't take long at all for this thread to turn into a poo poo show. Shut the gently caress up. Go to irc or literally any other thread if you want to talk about yourself or why your story is special.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I would like it if Benny stopped posting forever and ever, or at least hosed off with the brawls. Benny no one likes you.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Well, as long we're seriousposting...

Benny, kindly gently caress off so we can forget your existence asap. Also: what Fuschia_tude said.

Anyway, crits are fine as they are. Some people give a couple sentences; others get detailed. I've gone either way depending on how I felt that week or what the story warranted. Just be more constructive than "haha what gently caress you" or don't volunteer. No need to regulate beyond that.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO people should stop dogpiling other people even if they do find them super duper annoying. Well, thanks for reading, thread.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
For me personally, but I can't speak for others, you're welcome, Chairchucker. :)

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

I like big butts and I cannot lie

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

you other brothers can't deny

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I think crits are in a good place. TD is only marginally different than all of us farting into the wind, and that difference is in the critique. That said, there is no penalty for not critting. There's barely even any mockery over it. If you seriously don't have time, you don't have time.

On the other hand, I think it's commendable that in the past couple years we've set an implicit standard for crits. Like you fuckers are some of the worst language terrorists known to man, but somehow we manage to help each other a little bit every week. This is just a stupid thread on a stupid forum, but it can be a neat tool if you're a writing hobbyist or aspiring author.

Re: shitposting, chat, whatever you want to call it. If you think you have something cool or funny to say, post it. If it's bad, people will mock you and Sebmojo will tell you to shut up in a funny way. It's like all things in writing, really. You can do anything as long as you don't suck at it. If you're a real poo poo-trough, SA already has its own rules to deal with that.

Basically, I agree with some of the above sentiments. Post what you want. Don't suck at it. Crits are helpful and make Thunderdome better, but no one is going to kick down your door about it.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I just want to throw out massive thank-yous to docbeard, newtestleper, Tyrannosaurus, Jonked, and sebmojo for critiquing my horribly amateur submissions. I found the frank responses to be invaluable and I don't think advice like that is dispensed from many places. My college writing courses had peer-reviews where everyone just said "it was pretty good ." Most of the people I listed gave me between five and ten sentences for their responses and I found that sufficient to let me know what I'm doing right or wrong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

docbeard posted:

A rule? Naah. Thunderdome don't need more rules. But a general acceptance that this is the mannerly thing to do? Sure, I'd be down with that.

Yes. Act as you wish, and face the consequences.

Re poo poo posting, as self appointed sheriff I'm happy with how it's been the past few months. Funny poo poo posting is great, dull poo poo posting gets mocked, writer chat and crit responses get shouted at. If someone really pisses you off, brawl them.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is 100% true BTW.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
stop being chunderdomes, thunderholmes

is there a prompt yet

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
In addition to the above sentiment, I also hope everyone had an awesome Christmas and got all kinds of cool-rear end presents and will have an equally great New Year.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

In addition to the above sentiment, I also hope everyone had an awesome Christmas and got all kinds of cool rear end-presents and will have an equally great New Year.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny, you ARE an egotistical jerk. Almost every post/IRC chat you have is about YOU. Just stop posting about yourself and call Nubile Hillock a cock-smuggling bandito like a normal person.

(he smuggles them in his butt)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Benny the Snake posted:

Uh, J.A.B.C, are you planning something?

Yes. Something big. Something fun.

Something....Dome-esque.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

crabrock posted:

goal: 6 wins in dis thread

Year Progress: ├████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼████┼────┼────┤

Wins Progress: ├█████████┼█████████┼█████████┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────┤

Status: DON'T STOP ME NOW, CAUSE I'M HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME

Maybe next year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

Maybe next year.

Lol

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
:goku:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Mercedes posted:

Maybe next year.

i still believe

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

:siren: Week 125 Results! :siren:

Sorry for the delay ladies and gents, but after some conferring with the honorable judges Twist and Muffin, results are as follows:

Your winner this week is Kaishai, who came out of the gates guns blazing, double-fisting a pair of chiseled mermen in a fun story with lots of nice detail and character development.

Honorable Mentions go to crabrock for a fun, lighthearted story with a lot of panache, and Entenzahn, who delivered a strong, somber piece of writing in a mostly silly week.

Dishonorable Mention goes to ZeBurgeoisie, for an interesting premise that just didn't have enough plot or characterization to make it to the finish line.

This week's Loser is kurona_bright, for managing to write a story that was both boring and anticlimactic.

This was a fun week to judge, and honestly none of the stories were actually painful to read this week. Even the DM / Loser would have probably been safely in the middle of the pack in a larger pool, so kudos to everyone for bringing a strong game during a hectic time of the year! And thank you for the opportunity to read not one, not two, but three stories featuring everyone's favorite paranormal investigator (you dicks).

Kaishai, the throne is yours!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've been skimming this thread for a while now and I'm glad you've all given me the chance to participate. Even though my stuff's bottom-of-the-barrel bad, it's nice to be able to write and have people look at it. Hopefully I'll someday measure up with some of you guys in the future!

Also, it was extremely tempting to make my merman story a riff on the Cthulhu mythos -- Brad the merman was originally going to be a disguised demigod, and Ben was to sacrifice his new girlfriend to him -- but I don't have the chops to pull off that sort of twist. Besides, we already had an HP Lovecraft parody last time.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've been skimming this thread for a while now and I'm glad you've all given me the chance to participate. Even though my stuff's bottom-of-the-barrel bad, it's nice to be able to write and have people look at it. Hopefully I'll someday measure up with some of you guys in the future!

Also, it was extremely tempting to make my merman story a riff on the Cthulhu mythos -- Brad the merman was originally going to be a disguised demigod, and Ben was to sacrifice his new girlfriend to him -- but I don't have the chops to pull off that sort of twist. Besides, we already had an HP Lovecraft parody last time.

I know, right? Also people didn't hate yours this week, at least in IRC people were saying they liked it, so keep it up.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

crabrock posted:

I know, right? Also people didn't hate yours this week, at least in IRC people were saying they liked it, so keep it up.

Thank you! In recent months I've been unable to write anything except for my novel series, so any excuse to expand my subject matter while providing an impetus to finish my work and keep it snappy is more than welcome.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thank you! In recent months I've been unable to write anything except for my novel series, so any excuse to expand my subject matter while providing an impetus to finish my work and keep it snappy is more than welcome.

Mm, good point.

E: GODDAMMIT i was going to stay nice why can't i stay nice

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 30, 2014

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Oops. :v:

EDIT: Thanks for the crit, docbeard! Appreciate it. :)

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Proooooompt!

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Thunderdome Week CXXVI: Auld Lang Syne

Judges: Kaishai, Entenzahn, and Nubile Hillock.

quote:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my jo,
for auld lang syne,
we’ll tak' a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

---Robert Burns, 1788

The new year is almost upon us, Thunderdome. It's a time for beginnings and for resolutions, but also for reflections upon times and people long gone. What has become of those we used to know?

This week, your prompt is to write a story of acquaintances from long ago. As many as you please: a pair of former best friends would qualify, as would a group of former fellow soldiers. All of the acquaintances can appear on stage, or only one can while the rest remain in memory; perhaps some or all are dead; perhaps one turned into a hunky merman and left the other on land. Who knows. For whatever reason, these people have been estranged for years, but the bond they once shared must be important to the plot.

These acquaintances don't need to be from your own life. They're persons who knew each other once within the realm of the story. You can show them interacting or not as suits you; as long as their lapsed relationship influences the plot significantly, they don't have to meet again, but they certainly may.

No fanfiction, no nonfiction, no erotica, no poetry, and no GoogleDocs. Sign up any time between now and the deadline. This post will be duplicated in the new thread that's due to arrive on January 1, and you can enter either here or there.

Keep that Thunderdome fanfic coming in the meanwhile!

Sign-up deadline: Friday, January 2, 11:59pm USA Eastern
Submission deadline: Sunday, January 4, 11:59pm USA Eastern
Maximum word count: 1,300

Old Acquaintances:
crabrock
LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE
Screaming Idiot
kurona_bright
Cacto
Schneider Heim
Grizzled Patriarch
Bad Ideas Good
Sitting Here
docbeard
Phobia

Kaishai fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 31, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

in it to HM it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im heroin

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm all over this like stink on rice!

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Let's do this! (I should really start working on my December story :v:)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Did I forget anybody?

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
That's a confusingly worded prompt. Are you asking us to write a story where a key character once knew somebody and that's relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

Cacto posted:

That's a confusingly worded prompt. Are you asking us to write a story where a key character once knew somebody and that's relevant?

Yes, exactly that. The past, lapsed relationship must have some bearing on the events of the story.

• Locked thread