Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Got it. So basically any situation where a chute would be useful you wouldn't be able to use a chute anyways. So ditch or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So ditch or die.

You spelled "and" wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

At least we carry a small bottle of 02 :shrug:

Has anyone not seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGEpBjcZ4s

I want to say there was another one of a Royal Navy ship in insanely rough seas in the 70s or 80s? Maybe it was pictures?

Also didn't one of the Osprey aircrew guys that ditched literally as it was landing on the ship not get found?

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=83658

I'm sure there were other circumstances at hand but yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 29, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Even coming off a ship, with all the lifeboats and liferafts, your chances of survival drop precipitously once you leave and enter the water. Even if you make it into a boat/raft, they are basically cut in half if I remember my survival class.

There's a game called spot the bright orange smoke/object thrown off the deck of the ship for as long as possible you can play at drills. It dissapears extremely fast. Now consider a Navy uniform or other ship work gear, dark blue to hide oil stains or blue camo cause Navy...

Never go in the water.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah wish those Marines would stop throwing chemlights in the water

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

According to the description he got hit 4 times (one of which was to his M203), though not a single bullet ever touched his flesh. They just kept pinging off his helmet or knocking his glasses off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I want to say a poster here said he was immediately sent home and wasn't allowed to touch a weapon ever again and got into some kind of trouble

Nice gloves tho

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nice boots.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

gently caress that

This poo poo right here is why I went Air Force. I don't do boats. Not a row boat, not a kyack, a raft, a loving aircraft carrier.. I don't get on cruise ships.

Why?

Thats why.

I will burn in at TV any day, there is no way I am going to the bottom of the ocean.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
An oldie about waves, not military though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4w2o3LJleo

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

lol

Watch the guy who goes crusin by at about 1 minute in.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The F-35 is gonna be in those conditions. I shudder.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Genocide Tendency posted:

gently caress that

This poo poo right here is why I went Air Force. I don't do boats. Not a row boat, not a kyack, a raft, a loving aircraft carrier.. I don't get on cruise ships.

Why?

Thats why.

I will burn in at TV any day, there is no way I am going to the bottom of the ocean.

Remember, someone was undoubtedly attempting to operate a buffer during that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Madurai posted:

Remember, someone was undoubtedly attempting to operate a deep fryer during that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

That's not secured for sea.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yeah right. Supply department takes any opportunity to shut down.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Air strike form Haji's view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyxCxZZutU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That dude is by far the best at filming an aircraft of any type I've seen from this war. Hot drat, he got some great footage. Right from the start it was easy to pick out aircraft details.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't know why but I've always liked how mig-21s look.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

ded posted:

Same. I feel like them and A-10s are actually very similar, just instead of building a plane around a gun, they built a plane around the jet engine.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/sr71jetplane1

:stare:

Wanna drink with this guy so bad.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ded posted:

ded likes his planes just like he likes his women; a barrel body with stubby wings and short legs.

Edit:

Have a nice Polish MiG-29!

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 30, 2014

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

"We called the shockwave that came across the ground the sound of freedom."

:black101:

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuVCvIGKxE

terrez fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 30, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

"We called the shockwave that came across the ground the sound of freedom."

:black101:

That heads of state comment was pure awesome.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

That heads of state comment was pure awesome.

I want someone important to give me a good loving explanation as to why the SR71 is retired.

And if the words budget or cost are involved I will hit them in the face with a brick because we still have programs like the F-35 Joint Smoking Fuckery and V-22 Marine Snuffer Osprey.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Because Dick Cheney is literally Satan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most of them are more than fifty years old now. I don't know if an unlimited amount of money could have kept them flying this long. :(

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sjurygg posted:

Because Dick Cheney is literally Satan.

Yep, every single person involved in the SR-71 program all say Dick Cheney is the single greatest detriment to the DoD in this or any other age

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Most of them are more than fifty years old now. I don't know if an unlimited amount of money could have kept them flying this long. :(

Counterpoint.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yep, every single person involved in the SR-71 program all say Dick Cheney is the single greatest detriment to the DoD in this or any other age

Clinton didn't do the SR 71 any favors either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Counterpoint.

The B-52 isn't exactly comparable to an aircraft with heat cycles like the SR-71.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MrYenko posted:

The B-52 isn't exactly comparable to an aircraft with heat cycles like the SR-71.

Yeah, a plane that goes a fraction of the speed of the 71, with a fraction of the complexity, with a million more made and tons of spares lying around.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I loving love the V22. More space and faster than choppers, and they stopped killing marines after the marines stopped putting marines in test airframes during the experimental phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtW4atyq5-c

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Counterpoint.

He kept them under NASA, at least. Cheney literally forced Lockheed destroy all the tools and molding they used to build the SR-71

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The problem with the Blackbird program was they never continually upgraded it outside of adding a system for transmitting recon data in semi real time, and that took until the early 90s to put in. So they flew with 1960s technology rather than continually updating it like the 52. If they had kept up with it, then they would still have a viable program. That and you have to retire planes and build new ones or at least cycle them in and out of service for extended maintenance if that's an option. Instead they made 32 and stopped.

I love the Blackbird and want that jet back in the sky. So I will reason and lobby till my dying breath to get it back airborne. No matter how illogical I need to be.

gently caress anyone who doesn't like the SR 71.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Wasabi the J posted:

I loving love the V22. More space and faster than choppers, and they stopped killing marines after the marines stopped putting marines in test airframes during the experimental phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtW4atyq5-c

Yeah I think a lot of the osprey hate died down after the initial push to get them into service after they started flying again in the late 2000's. hopefully people see it for what it is.

these guys are air force and theirs are slightly different than the USMC ones (terrain following radar, some other whiz bang stuff) but essentially still the same, just different missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvDmUuj-QK8

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The SR-71 and the Gemini/Apollo missions are pretty much why I love this nation of ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

holocaust bloopers posted:

The SR-71 and the Gemini/Apollo missions are pretty much why I love this nation of ours.

The late Fifties through the early Seventies were a magical time. For aerospace, anyway.

• Locked thread