Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Super Mario Bros. episode was amazing. You could tell they realllllly had fun on that one. Lots of good jokes.

I checked out Alcohollywood because that goon won't shut up about it. It's not very good at all. The drink angle is immature and the jokes weren't funny. It's also not produced properly or something because it sounds like everyone is 50 ft. away from the microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Wow, I'm glad I found this topic. I listen to these guys every week, and I think I've gone through the entire catalogue. I'll admit, though, I skip the ones without Steve in them if I don't have an interest in the movie. He is just the funniest one, and improves the comedy of everyone around him.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I've listened to a few episode now. I like them, but all their voices sound the same and I'm never sure if it's 2 or 3 or 4 guys named Steve or Mike or whatever. Do they ever have guests?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thedangergroove posted:

I love We Hate Movies. I finally became more of a WHM than a Flop House person in the past year due to The Flop House just feeling so short on the movie end of things, and being the Elliott-Kalan-talks-over-everyone-with-a-lower-and-lower-hit-to-miss-ratio hour. Still love both shows.
Yeah I still like The Flop House, but Kalan gets to be a bit much after a while. Especially the Letters songs. We get the joke, the horse isn't just dead, it has dessicated and crumbled into dust. WHM has kept growing on me even as I've realized I only kind of like TFH and the only person on How Did This Get Made I even enjoy listening to is Mantzoukas.

quote:

My girlfriend, who is also a big fan of both shows, somehow got in touch with Steve Sadjak and had him and the crew sign a DVD copy of Blame it on Rio for me for Christmas. Ewwwwwwwwwww.
Marry this woman.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Ave Azaria posted:

I've listened to a few episode now. I like them, but all their voices sound the same and I'm never sure if it's 2 or 3 or 4 guys named Steve or Mike or whatever. Do they ever have guests?

No. They don't have guests. Nobody is forcing you to listen, either. :tipshat:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Firstborn posted:

No. They don't have guests. Nobody is forcing you to listen, either. :tipshat:

Actually, they occasionally have a guest named Justin Case on, who is an expert in disaster movies. He's the only one I can think of, though.

Also, I just don't get how people can have trouble telling them apart. They all have rather distinctive voices. Maybe it would take a while to match each voice with a name, but not knowing if there are 2, 3, or 4 of them on doesn't make any sense to me. Usually it's 3, big episodes have all 4 of them.

Now, the podcast I have with my brothers, I can see having a hard time telling us apart.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The WHM episode on "The Pallbearer" was incredible, like near car-accident-causing laughter incredible. I wasn't as much into the TMNT2 one which surprised me, because that's such an easy target. But it seemed like some kind of weird year-end special and there were 1 or 2 extra people talking. I'm going to listen to more episodes before I make a solid opinion, but that first one rocked.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, they occasionally have a guest named Justin Case on, who is an expert in disaster movies. He's the only one I can think of, though.

They also have Sean Wiener guest on a few episodes, like the Mrs Doubtfire one. Ben Worchester was on the Getaway episode. I think that's it.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Definitely. Even when it's a movie I've never seen and don't really care about it's fun just because of how off-the-wall the improv can get, like in the Pallbearer episode where they invent a narrative of David Schwimmer having a talking anthropomorphic raincloud as a best friend. Or the Addicted to Love episode where they do an extended imitation of Matthew Broderick describing his ideal sexual encounter that culminates in the phrase "sex so gentle and quiet that if you had it on a boat in the middle of a lake it wouldn't make a single ripple".

People on the fence about WHM should listen to the Addicted To Love episode. Their disdain for Matthew Broderick is off the chart. It's loving great.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Septic Knothead posted:

People on the fence about WHM should listen to the Addicted To Love episode. Their disdain for Matthew Broderick is off the chart. It's loving great.
I think the disdain they have for Jim Belushi in the Taking Care of Business episode tops it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Also, I just don't get how people can have trouble telling them apart. They all have rather distinctive voices. Maybe it would take a while to match each voice with a name, but not knowing if there are 2, 3, or 4 of them on doesn't make any sense to me. Usually it's 3, big episodes have all 4 of them.
I don't know, I still sometimes confuse Cabin and Jupin. It doesn't really make any sense, but whatever. Also people have this problem with basically every podcast, it's kinda crazy.

But if you can't tell which one is Sajdak you best get cleaning those ears out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I ashamedly can't tell all of them apart either. However, in part, I listen to BMFCast, We Hate Movies, No Quarters (same crew as BMFCast). So, several hours a week of new material by 6-10 different people. This, coupled with different audio quality, different/similar films being covered, listening on different devices, hosts doing voices, etc.

I honestly sometimes misattribute one of their reviews for another. I figured it was WHM for a few weeks that did "Elves" and "Garbage Pail Kids" and not BMFCast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My favorite episode has to be Hard Target. It's the episode I've used to get several people into the podcast. Their Wilford Brimley impression is always hilarious, but it's never going to be as funny, to me, as when he finds out who is directing Hard Target.

".....WHHHAT?!"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They have pretty distinct voices but for whatever reason it can be hard to really "identify" people using only their voices, I couldn't tell who was who for a while. It doesn't help to look at their pictures either because they all look the same. But eventually you'll get there.

I actually think Andrew's pretty unfunny, but I love Eric and Steve. Chris is pretty good too.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This thread convinced me to give WHM another change, I'll start with Addicted to Love.

Mucktron posted:

I'd actually tracked them down after How Did This Get Made had the producer of Skyline come on their podcast and they spent the entire episode back-peddling. WHM being in New York with no connections to "the industry" prevents all that nonsense.
I've always been more into HDTGM than I am WHM, but this particular aspect of HDTGM is pretty maddening. The worst episode for this is when they have a heavy from Superman on and all of his stories are basically him bullying and threatening people, while the whole crew kisses his rear end like crazy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've been listening to HDTGM forever but after getting into WHM, it kind of wipes the floor with the former in terms of getting in-depth to certain things. Some shows in HDTGM just barely bother to inform you about whatever poo poo they saw or a guest will be like "yeah I fell asleep at this part, whatever." Still like them both and I think the Lexi Alexander episode was probably my favorite ever, but so far I'm liking WHM way better since I was getting a little tired of Jason "jerk off to this movie" Mantzoukas

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The last thirty minutes of the Mrs. Doubtfire episode almost killed me from laughing so hard. Holy poo poo.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

thrawn527 posted:

Now, the podcast I have with my brothers, I can see having a hard time telling us apart.

I find it odd as well. For me, I could tell who was who within the first few minutes of listening to them for the first time.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know, I still sometimes confuse Cabin and Jupin. It doesn't really make any sense, but whatever. Also people have this problem with basically every podcast, it's kinda crazy.

But if you can't tell which one is Sajdak you best get cleaning those ears out.

I can tell when Cabin is talking because it hurts my god drat ears. He yells too much. I can't remember the exact episode, but I turned it off because his yelling was just too much to handle.

Tender Bender posted:

I actually think Andrew's pretty unfunny, but I love Eric and Steve. Chris is pretty good too.

Yeah, Andrew isn't particularly funny but I feel like he's the "host" of the show and keeps everything on track and really delves into the details. Eric and Steven of course add most (if not all) of the humor on the points he makes and then Cabin comes in and yells things.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 30, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Tuff Turf is amazing if only for the majesty that is Jack Mack. "JACK MACK MAKE YOU DANCE. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS....JACK MACK NEEDS SOME COCAINE." Though the sheer horror of Blame it on Rio is pretty amazing too especially the Suicide Film Festival.

Also, Steve's story of the guy yelling at his kid during the He-Man Christmas Special episode is in the top 5 funniest moments in the show's history for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tuff Turf is amazing if only for the majesty that is Jack Mack. "JACK MACK MAKE YOU DANCE. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS....JACK MACK NEEDS SOME COCAINE." Though the sheer horror of Blame it on Rio is pretty amazing too especially the Suicide Film Festival.

Also, Steve's story of the guy yelling at his kid during the He-Man Christmas Special episode is in the top 5 funniest moments in the show's history for me.

Blame It On Rio is indeed a great episode, but, as they point out, not beginner WHM. It's advance course WHM.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

OldTennisCourt posted:

The second Steve said the guy was wearing an "I Kill Zombies T-Shirt" I knew it was gonna be good.

"You just drank your toy!!!!"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tuff Turf is amazing if only for the majesty that is Jack Mack. "JACK MACK MAKE YOU DANCE. IN ALL SERIOUSNESS....JACK MACK NEEDS SOME COCAINE."

I FINALLY listened to that episode a couple days ago and now one of my all-time favorite show moments is the dad getting too excited his 17-year-old might be getting married.

YOU OLD BITCH
YOU OLD SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD SEA HAG BITCH

Probably tied with the theory that one of the horses in Hard Target "retired at the bottom of Brimley's pot"

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

I think Steve's best story is the one in Secret Window where he and Chris went to see the movie in the theater and ended up sitting next to someone eating a whole fish wrapped in tinfoil. That story and the "I want to play a tape for youuuuuu" line make that episode one of my favorites.

The horse impressions in Pippi Longstocking and the "9000 degrees!" bits in The Core never fail to get me into near-tears laughing fits.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BulletRiddled posted:

The horse impressions in Pippi Longstocking and the "9000 degrees!" bits in The Core never fail to get me into near-tears laughing fits.

"Too bad they don't let horses testify then!"

"THAT'LL CHANGE ONE DAY PIPPI, AND YOU'LL GET THE CHAIR. THE CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Too bad they don't let horses testify then!"

"THAT'LL CHANGE ONE DAY PIPPI, AND YOU'LL GET THE CHAIR. THE CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR"

Or how they want it to cross over with AMC.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

OldTennisCourt posted:

The whole bit with Skeletor taking the kids on a shopping trip is one of the highlights of the whole podcast. Its also the moment I realized that The Monarch from Venture Bros is basically Skeletor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seagal in Spaaaace! is killing me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their newest episode, I, Frankenstein is glorious. Arguably a classic, because the movie is the platonic ideal of :wtc:.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I, Frankenstein is on Netflix and I keep meaning to watch it in a "how bad can it possibly be" way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

I, Frankenstein is on Netflix and I keep meaning to watch it in a "how bad can it possibly be" way.

It feels like it should've come out in 2009 or something. I love the incredibly dumb idea of trying to set it in the same universe as Underworld though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Honestly, it's not actively bad (for the most part), it's just pretty stupid and pointless.

I strongly liked one thing about it that WHM ragged on: I liked the fact that it had a Creature that was nominally attractive, because that's what Frankenstein thought he was creating. The various handwaves (he was insane, he didn't see the whole picture, the Creature was less ugly when it wasn't in movement, etc) never really worked for me.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

My absolute favorite WHM story is from the S.W.A.T. episode where Erik talks about threatening to beat up an old couple who complained about him eating popcorn. It's just so hilariously out of character and goes completely out of control as he attempts to improvise.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Vedius Pollio posted:

My absolute favorite WHM story is from the S.W.A.T. episode where Erik talks about threatening to beat up an old couple who complained about him eating popcorn. It's just so hilariously out of character and goes completely out of control as he attempts to improvise.

Yet to listen to this one. Sounds funny. It will be next on my list.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just started listening to the podcast - ok. I give in. I'm hooked. Part of the reason it has a leg up on HDTGM, is that even though they're nominally in the industry- they have no qualms about making GBS threads on everyone/anyone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am ashamed no one has brought up their Godzilla episode.
Or any episode with Jim Belushi on it - K-9, K-9/11, Mr. Destiny, Taking Care of Business, The Principal. They are fantastic and very enjoyable.

Re: Chris Cabin. The guy might not be as funny as the others, but he's still very important to the dynamic of the show since he's got the deepest insight into movies and how they should work. Sajdak, meanwhile, usually has the everyman reactions to bad movies (him softly going eeeww is the funniest goddamn thing in every episode it shows up in) and Szyszka is basically Norm McDonald reborn. Jupin is pretty great, too, since he does most of the impressions.

That bit at the beginning of this week's episode with them saying that they're each a different voice feels like a dig at this thread, to be honest.

And yes, them talking poo poo about the absent member is always hilarious. "HEY SAJDAK!"

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 7, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has WHM actually had anyone on from the movies they've ripped? It seems kinda unfair to say "they wouldn't backpedal" if they haven't brought anyone on.

One knock for WHM aside from the interchangeability of its hosts: its sound quality from their 'live' shows. I've tried to listen to their Scream 3 episode a few times and its really hard to listen to.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I had to drive my girlfriend to the airport on Sunday so we stuck on the Casper episode, big mistake because the discussion about Casper's father testing the resurrection machine on himself made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to drive off the road

Also going to second the recommendation for the Three Men and a Baby episode, oh my GOD the doorman backstory. "Not a baby... Dear God... Not a baby..."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

One knock for WHM aside from the interchangeability of its hosts

How are the hosts interchangeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just listened to their episode on Mystery Men and I loved it because so much of the internet seems to consider it a cult classic or a hidden gem, it's a wretched movie and it was great to hear them mercilessly tear it apart.

MisterBibs posted:

Has WHM actually had anyone on from the movies they've ripped? It seems kinda unfair to say "they wouldn't backpedal" if they haven't brought anyone on.

They don't really do guests because the podcast is just about them making fun of movies and having a good time. They aren't a bunch of aspiring stand-up comedians trying to use it as their foot in the door like certain other bad movie podcasts so they don't really have any reason to invite celebrities on in the first place, which is one of the reasons I like them so much.

Plus based on their anecdotes they already seem to have a background in film and television (Conan interns, working at Lifetime, commercial filmmakers hired by a summer camp, etc.) so they're doing fine on their own.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 8, 2015