Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Donation Update: DONATE ONLINE or mail checks to

quote:

Wilson Children’s Fund
c/o Forum Credit Union
PO Box 50738
Indianapolis, IN 46250-0738

There's also #BadAssWilson merch at the IndyCar store with the proceeds going to the Wilson Children's Fund.

Window Decal - $5
Adult T-Shirt - $25
Kids T-Shirt - $25

Welcome to the Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 season, now in its 1st year of legitimacy!

:siren: Fantasy IndyCar is now a thing :siren:

Go here to register then go here and enter the code LLJK to join our league.

Our league name is Formula Juan and Derps

Schedule

IRC
#ics on irc.synirc.net

Aero Kits
:frogsiren: ACTUALLY HAPPENING THIS YEAR! :frogsiren:

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Brand new Dallara IL-15 Chassis this year!

- Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine, 6speed clutchless paddleshifting just like the big boys

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. Van Diemen Elan Chassis, Mazda MZR 4Cylinder

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on twitter.
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too. I'll be receiving media credentials for the races I'm attending so you can expect lots of :smugdog: tweets by me

Photo Albums
I will be taking lots of pics at the races I attend and will post my albums here. Anyone that attends a race, feel free to send me a link to your photo album and I'll post it here as well.

Spring Training @ Barber, March 16-17 - KingShibby
Grand Prix of Long Beach, April 17-19 - KingShibby
Grand Prix of Indianapolis, May 8-9 - KingShibby

Previous Threads
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
IndyCar Series 2011

Team Lineup:
Check the 2nd post.

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Brasilia & NOLA
:rip: Brasilia, Baltimore, Sao Paolo, Dario Franchitti, Houston, :ussr: Mikhail Aleshin

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Confirmed Drivers/Teams for 2015

The Big-3 Teams

Will Power, Helio Castroneves, Juan Pablo Montoya, & Simon Pagenaud
Coming off their first championship since 2006 (Sam Hornish, Jr.) with driver Will Power, Team Penske added star driver Simon Pagenaud to their already top-notch driver roster for 2015.

Scott Dixon, Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan, & Sage Karam
2 major changes highlight Chip Ganassi Racing: 1. Ryan Briscoe is out and the team has contracted to 3.5 drivers; 2. Target's sponsorship of 2 cars has been cut to 1 car and Tony Kanaan will be driving the NTT Data car that Briscoe previously drove. Sage Karam's season will all depend on finding sponsors, and has only been confirmed for St. Pete to start the season.

Ryan Hunter-Reay, Carlos Munoz, & Marco Andretti
No changes for Andretti in 2015 except for Hinch going to Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. The team is trying to field 4 full-time cars and possibly a fifth car with rotating drivers.

The Little Guys

Josef Newgarden, "Special" Ed Carpenter, & Luca Filippi
Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing merged to become, Carpenter-Fisher-Hartman Racing or just CFH Racing. Josef Newgarden is the only full-time driver at CFH Racing. Ed Carpenter only drives the ovals because he's Special Ed. Luca Filippi will drive the #20 on Road/Street Courses.

James Hinchcliffe & James Jakes
After losing Simon Pagenaud to Team Penske, SPM quickly snatched up Hinch. Mikhail Aleshin will not be returning to the #7 because THANKS OBAMA :obama: and the team has signed James Jakes to the #7. Jakes did not race in 2014 and previously was with Rahal in 2013 and Dale Coyne in 2011-12.

Takuma Sato & Jack Hawksworth
Previously a one-car team, AJ Foyt is expanding to 2 teams for 2015 and added 2nd year driver Jack Hawksworth from Bryan Herta.

Gabby Chaves
Historically one of the lowest funded teams in the paddock, Bryan Herta Autosport continues to field a single full-time entry. What makes BHA unique from other teams is that they often hire Indy Lights drivers to the full-time ride. In 2014 it was Jack Hawksworth, this year is reigning Indy Lights Champion Gabby Chaves.

Graham Rahal
Graham sucks and the team is only running one full-time car (except maybe the Indy 500) so draw your own conclusions

Sebastien Bourdais
KVSH Racing continues to field Sebastien Bourdais as one of their two drivers. The second driver has yet to be named.

More teams coming later!

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 18, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Why doesn't Simona have a ride yet. This is bullshit I quit

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Woah I just noticed they have more legit road courses on the schedule this year then "Bumfuck random parking lot in a city races. That's cool at least.

Also might want to add that Russian dude who's name i don't feel like spelling that got hosed up at Fontana to the RIP

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 30, 2014

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

quote:

IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!

http://youtu.be/IjGJ9HKeeT4?t=9m23s

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/could-ryan-phinny-and-casamigos-be-in-indycar-in-2015/

Ryan Phinny is close to getting a ride in the series.

I just like the fact it's happening because it's really out of left field, but it should be quite amusing.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

KingShibby posted:

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.
Here's chubby kid Quantrill on the Road to Indy:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Possibly Chicken posted:

Woah I just noticed they have more legit road courses on the schedule this year then "Bumfuck random parking lot in a city races. That's cool at least.

Also might want to add that Russian dude who's name i don't feel like spelling that got hosed up at Fontana to the RIP

Aleshin.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss Baltimore.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's amazing what happens when you have a sponsor/money :iiam:

I plan on keeping this thread updated more than a few times per season, so keep an eye out for ninja updates like the 2 I already made...

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Alain Post posted:

I miss Baltimore.

Baltimore owned and was fun as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I miss Baltimore.

Agreed, though Houston can eat a dick (or get completely repaved) before I consider that anything close to a "track".

Also, all hail the cutest winner of the 500 in history.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

George Zimmer posted:

Baltimore owned and was fun as hell.

It reminded me of the old Vancouver which was always my favorite CART street track.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Baltimore owned, Houston owned (just a bit less)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Baltimore was a good track, undone by the enemies of open-wheel racing: Train tracks, chicanes, and incompetency.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bring back baltimore the course goes right by my office.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
ICS should come to Philly as a replacement. I imagine a nifty street course could be made around the art museum.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/could-ryan-phinny-and-casamigos-be-in-indycar-in-2015/

I just like the fact it's happening because it's really out of left field, but it should be quite amusing.

Had no clue who this guy was. Looked him up on Wikipedia and saw that he had a total of 6 Indy Lights starts over 3 seasons and an even less impressive resume than your typical DCR ride buyer.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Juan looks really grumpy in his picture.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Will Power owns

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It reminded me of the old Vancouver which was always my favorite CART street track.

Old Vancouver was awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

go3 posted:

Will Power owns

I need to sit down one of these days and make a title of the many faces of one William Power. Off the top of my head I can think of New Hampshire Double Birds, Sonoma(?) I-Done-hosed-Up face, Fontana prerace CRAZYEYES, and 2014 Indycar Champion.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
http://www.racer.com/international-racing/item/112144-vergne-stays-in-fe-andretti-joins-him

Marco Andretti confirmed to be racing Formula E at Buenos Aires on Jan 10.

I'll set the over/under on his finishing position at 8.5

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so does his team get to have a second driver to change to?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Probably because Frank Montagny tested positive for cocaine and admitted it. I mean how stupid can you be to do coke within 3 days of a possible random at an event?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

KingShibby posted:

http://www.racer.com/international-racing/item/112144-vergne-stays-in-fe-andretti-joins-him

Marco Andretti confirmed to be racing Formula E at Buenos Aires on Jan 10.

I'll set the over/under on his finishing position at 8.5

More like Formula ShitDriversWithFamousLastNames am I right? What's AJ Foyt IV or one of the lesser-talented Unsers up to these days?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

AJ mk4 is busy boning Jim Irsay's daughter. Just Al's sponsor went series level with Indy Lights and he does promotional stuff for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

devmd01 posted:

Probably because Frank Montagny tested positive for cocaine and admitted it. I mean how stupid can you be to do coke within 3 days of a possible random at an event?

Are you calling the entire IMSA paddock of the 1980s stupid?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

AJ mk4 is busy boning Jim Irsay's daughter. Just Al's sponsor went series level with Indy Lights and he does promotional stuff for them.

I wish Al III would have made the show. Still don't understand how he didn't.

We need an Unser around the paddock damnit.

Also don't forgot Arie Jr. who is racing off road trucks of all things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Arie Jr was intensely bad

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish Al III would have made the show. Still don't understand how he didn't.

He's not good at racing cars, so that probably didnt help his chances.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

He's not good at racing cars, so that probably didnt help his chances.

Was he worse than Marco and Graham?

He works at Rick Galles Chevy btw, per their website

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Arie Jr was intensely bad

There was an Arie Jr.?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
in a perfect world the front 2 rows at Indy would be Arie Jr., AJIV, Casey Mears, Marco, Graham, and Tiny Al

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was an Arie Jr.?

Far more famous for his appearance on The Bachelorette than any of his limited racing career.

VikingSkull posted:

in a perfect world the front 2 rows at Indy would be Arie Jr., AJIV, Casey Mears, Marco, Graham, and Tiny Al

And in P7, Mark Plourde.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 2, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was an Arie Jr.?

I mainly remember him for being bumped from a 34 car grid one year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow this guy spent like 8 years in Indy Lights lol.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Was he worse than Marco and Graham?

By like a factor of 10. Seriously.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was an Arie Jr.?

LOL I'd forgotten all about him. He was hilariously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

IOwnCalculus posted:

Far more famous for his appearance on The Bachelorette than any of his limited racing career.

And in P7, Mark Plourde.

I think you mean multiple-ChampCar World Champion Mark Plourde.

... sorry

Former ChampCar World Champion Mark Plourde.

http://champcar-ws.com

Ricardo Zonta is the current reigning ChampCar world champion.

• Locked thread