Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

RodShaft posted:

So is there an android wear watch that's the current darling?

Honestly wait until after CES unless you happen to see a G Watch on sale for like $80, Pebble will almost certainly announce the Steel successor at CES, you might see a few more Wear watches, if you absolutely most pick something up today I would probably go with the Zen , it seems to be the best mix of hardware/design/display/price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Obviously, Fitbit has their two new devices due out soon, both with a strong focus on the heart monitoring capabilities. I really like how their app looks as well, and it very clearly provides the data we want access to. On the flip side of things, she and I have discussed at length, and she feels that she's not active enough to justify using a device like a Fitbit, and loves all the Android Wear functionality, but I've not been able to find an app that provides semi-continuous monitoring and does graphing (and maybe exports). So we're in between a rock and a hard place.

Don't, I don't fully understand why they even bothered with the heart rate sensors unless Google pressured them to do it, they can't even track steps reliably much less heart rate, there is no data logging, no history, no cross reference with activity, they are basically complete and utter useless poo poo.

The Fitbit is out, I have a Charge HR and I would highly recommend it, the heart rate tracking works completely as promised, logged 24/7, no battery issues, no reliability issues , it's really the only reasonable option out there if you want everyday heart rate functions. I was really leaning towards the Up3 but they have really, really backed off of their heart rate promises and are only promising once a day resting heart rate now which is really a shame because I would have gone with that had they managed to meet the Charge HR continuous pulse.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

The 360, and every other android wear watch that I know of all suck at being a HRM.

I've actually had the chance twice now to compare the 360's HRM to those used by actual doctors. (By which I mean I had the 360's going at the exact same time as theirs.) The biggest flaw I've seen is that the HRM is very dependent on where on your wrist the watch is; if it slides too far up, the accuracy takes a nosedive.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the MS Band and the Jawbone UP3 both have galvanic skin response sensors. What I can't tell is, are those used for stress measurements (being that GSR is influenced by stress/anxiety)?

I guess the UP3 is still vaporware at this point, but can any MS Band-havers weigh in?

I'm trying to be better about managing stress day-to-day and something that can help quantify it would be pretty killer for me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

So the MS Band and the Jawbone UP3 both have galvanic skin response sensors. What I can't tell is, are those used for stress measurements (being that GSR is influenced by stress/anxiety)?

I guess the UP3 is still vaporware at this point, but can any MS Band-havers weigh in?

I'm trying to be better about managing stress day-to-day and something that can help quantify it would be pretty killer for me.

I have a Microsoft band, there's no values that I can see for stress measurement.

According to the docs it's used to see if you're wearing the band:

quote:

Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) sensors

The GSR sensor measures the conductivity of your skin between the GSR sensor under the clasp and the secondary GSR contact point under the face of your Microsoft Band. This tells your Microsoft Band whether youre wearing it, so it can adjust how it monitors your activities.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us/support/hardware/sensors

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I want a relatively low profile wearable that allows me to view text messages that I receive, while on my bike, from an iOS phone.

So far it looks like either the Garmin Vivofit or Pebble are the two best bets for this goal; both have bonuses over that but messages while I'm cycling are my number one goal.
edit: The MS band looks like it could be a contender as well.

Anything I'm missing? The Apple watch that's coming is too spendy and too bulky for cycling (and the pebble might be too for that matter).

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Walked posted:

I want a relatively low profile wearable that allows me to view text messages that I receive, while on my bike, from an iOS phone.

So far it looks like either the Garmin Vivofit or Pebble are the two best bets for this goal; both have bonuses over that but messages while I'm cycling are my number one goal.

Anything I'm missing? The Apple watch that's coming is too spendy and too bulky for cycling (and the pebble might be too for that matter).

you could mount the pebble to your handlebar, maybe.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Walked posted:

How detailed are these texts?

On the Microsoft band you can probably get the sender and maybe first 10 words of the text on the screen (although you can scroll for the rest). For the Garmin are you talking Vivofit or Vivosport?

You'll likely get more content for a text message on the pebble vs any of the bracelet style devices.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pebble is pretty cool for reading texts. If you're jailbroken you can also send preformatted texts but that might be hard while cycling idk. Pebble is pretty low profile all things considered. There's also a gps app (pebbgps) that works ok

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

How detailed are these texts?

On the Microsoft band you can probably get the sender and maybe first 10 words of the text on the screen (although you can scroll for the rest). For the Garmin are you talking Vivofit or Vivosport?

You'll likely get more content for a text message on the pebble vs any of the bracelet style devices.

Oops; meant the vivosmart.

Mainly interested in texts like my wife letting me know she's leaving work (I often commute home and take longer rides until I think she's going to be home) or similar. Just something where I'll notice I got a message, rather than have to stop and review every single one.

Pebble was my original thought, but I've only found one handlebar mount for it and it looks crappy as hell.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Walked posted:

Pebble was my original thought, but I've only found one handlebar mount for it and it looks crappy as hell.

I bought a Polar watch forever and ever ago that came with a handle bar mount, the watch is long since gone but I've used the mount with my Forerunner, Pebble and Wear watches, works great.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

G-Prime posted:

My wife has (very mild, but worthy of watching) heart problems,
I am not a doctor (but i play one on the forums) but maybe if she has a medical issue she should get something that is built for this?

ie, http://www.medtronic.com/patients/fainting/device/what-is-it/

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

kitten smoothie posted:

I believe the MS Band site also mentioned the stress data would be something forthcoming. It would be along the lines of "your calendar shows a meeting with Douchebag Director which raised your stress level and made you have a terrible night of sleep during which you woke up 12 times." Or at least that's the vision they've out out for the "insights" coming to the platform.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fiki posted:

I believe the MS Band site also mentioned the stress data would be something forthcoming. It would be along the lines of "your calendar shows a meeting with Douchebag Director which raised your stress level and made you have a terrible night of sleep during which you woke up 12 times." Or at least that's the vision they've out out for the "insights" coming to the platform.

Huh, that's kind of exactly what would be helpful.

Shame I went to an MS store today, tried the band, and found it to be pretty uncomfortable to wear. I just was not down with the whole thing being rigid, it felt like I was wearing a handcuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I get their reasoning behind releasing the band when they did, but it seems like version 2.0 will be much better once they've got the insight from all the early adopters.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I get their reasoning behind releasing the band when they did, but it seems like version 2.0 will be much better once they've got the insight from all the early adopters.

I chatted with a product manager for the band in a Microsoft store when I was buying mine (she was buying some for family/friends), it seems like they're very interested to hear what people think.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm tempted to grab a 360 this weekend, but I'm sure that, if I do, they'll immediately announce the next model (please be the Moto One) on Monday.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

kitten smoothie posted:

Huh, that's kind of exactly what would be helpful.

Shame I went to an MS store today, tried the band, and found it to be pretty uncomfortable to wear. I just was not down with the whole thing being rigid, it felt like I was wearing a handcuff.

I felt the same way at first, but got used to it quickly, even when going to sleep. I do have big wrists though. I was coming from a Vivofit which was very comfortable.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

XIII posted:

I'm tempted to grab a 360 this weekend, but I'm sure that, if I do, they'll immediately announce the next model (please be the Moto One) on Monday.

I think the 360 looks the most promising. I think I am going to try and hold out for the second gen stuff to come out

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

kri kri posted:

I am not a doctor (but i play one on the forums) but maybe if she has a medical issue she should get something that is built for this?

ie, http://www.medtronic.com/patients/fainting/device/what-is-it/

You make a very valid point, and if the doctors decide to go that route, that's something we'll do without a second thought. In this case, it's more that they've seen that her resting rate is abnormally high for a person who's in relatively good shape, and occasionally while sleeping will spike to heavy exercise rates. They did a real medical monitor on her for a day and didn't see any immediate danger, but our purpose was to be able to track it and try to use the historical for some analysis of if there's any specific things triggering it that we can track, so we can try to minimize those things and be able to report back to the doctor if any further problems present themselves. I should have been more clear on that. No actual danger, the doctors didn't recommend constant monitoring, and this is primarily for personal curiosity.

Thanks for the advice though, guys! :)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

You make a very valid point, and if the doctors decide to go that route, that's something we'll do without a second thought. In this case, it's more that they've seen that her resting rate is abnormally high for a person who's in relatively good shape, and occasionally while sleeping will spike to heavy exercise rates. They did a real medical monitor on her for a day and didn't see any immediate danger, but our purpose was to be able to track it and try to use the historical for some analysis of if there's any specific things triggering it that we can track, so we can try to minimize those things and be able to report back to the doctor if any further problems present themselves. I should have been more clear on that. No actual danger, the doctors didn't recommend constant monitoring, and this is primarily for personal curiosity.

Thanks for the advice though, guys! :)

Google Wear will not do anything like that, Fitbit does:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Three Olives posted:

Google Wear will not do anything like that, Fitbit does:

My thought exactly, and you've helped cement this as our option of choice. Thanks. :)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need something to just do basic fitness and sleep tracking; heart rate isn't an issue. The only issue is that while I am on my feet most of the date, I work with my hands for a significant portion of it. Will that throw off step measurements? Also, what is the better ecosystem at this point, Jawbone's or Fitbit's? I am on an android phone if it matters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need something to just do basic fitness and sleep tracking; heart rate isn't an issue. The only issue is that while I am on my feet most of the date, I work with my hands for a significant portion of it. Will that throw off step measurements? Also, what is the better ecosystem at this point, Jawbone's or Fitbit's? I am on an android phone if it matters.

I like to do carpentry of various sorts and it always throws my fitbit flex off. One thing that happens in particular is that hammering or chiseling or the similar turns sleep mode on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on...

My guess is that the fitbit that clips to your pocket or whatever is a lot better about this, but I'm not sure if that one does sleep tracking.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I like to do carpentry of various sorts and it always throws my fitbit flex off. One thing that happens in particular is that hammering or chiseling or the similar turns sleep mode on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on...

My guess is that the fitbit that clips to your pocket or whatever is a lot better about this, but I'm not sure if that one does sleep tracking.

That's good to know. I think the more expensive clip Fitbit does, as well as the new Jawbone one.

Anyone have experience with the Jawbone clip-thing?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
For the record, the photoplethysmograph on my Moto 360 matches with the heart-rate detection on my ICD in like 90% of cases. The other 10% I just rescan and it's right the second time. I can get the Moto 360's results anywhere I am, I have to go home to the base station to get readings off the ICD.

e: I can tell when it's wrong because it's OBVIOUSLY wrong. My heart rate is generally in the mid-90s, and if it pulls 50, then I know it's wrong.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well, I finally got my 360 setup the way I like it

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Mr. Despair posted:

Tell me your gipsy magic.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Despair posted:

Greatness

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

IM MOWIN THE AIR RANDY

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Man, I was positive I was going to wait for the Moto 360 v2. Now I'm not sure if I can wait!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The apps littletv and agif both let you do amazing things with gifs on your watch.

Edit

Check out this Reddit post where the guy shows off some and then there's other cool links to other .gifs in the comments

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/2qrt81/ive_become_bored_of_all_the_facer_and_watchmaker/

This one is my favorite

http://i.imgur.com/joz3pKU.gif

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 4, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well poo poo, I think the Microsoft band is getting returned. I discovered today its been silently failing to sync for the last week, and the only fix was deleting the app and factory resetting the device. Its synced again now, but I lost a weeks worth of data as a result.

Is the Fitbit surge still in a weird "sort of released" status? I really liked the sensors the Microsoft band had and could live with the form factor, but losing data like that is not acceptable.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've seen the Surge in various Target stores, same ones where the Charge HR is always sold out.

It probably is as supply-constrained as the Charge HR, but the $250 price is likely keeping it from moving as fast.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Maneki Neko posted:

Well poo poo, I think the Microsoft band is getting returned. I discovered today its been silently failing to sync for the last week, and the only fix was deleting the app and factory resetting the device. Its synced again now, but I lost a weeks worth of data as a result.

Is the Fitbit surge still in a weird "sort of released" status? I really liked the sensors the Microsoft band had and could live with the form factor, but losing data like that is not acceptable.

I think it's available now at Target and Walmart. When I got my Charge HR a couple of weeks ago, Walmart had bountiful stock of both models and sizes but just the black color.

Only reason I didn't get the Surge is with my knee issues, won't be running much so the onboard GPS doesn't mean much to me now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like Sony's going to do a steel SW3. It puts it near the top for best looking android wear devices IMO.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/05/leak-reveals-stainless-steel-version-of-sony-smartwatch-3/

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkF93sN6PM

Very Apple watch-y. Too bad about the giant bezels though, that ruined the Gear Live for me too.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 6, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Yep, the stainless steel Sony 3 was just announced. I like it, I also think Android Wear is completely useless for meaningful fitness tracking which is why I look like a idiot wearing a Charge HR and a Pebble/G Watch all the time.

Wear needs to improve a lot, a whole lot to come close to the functionality of a Fitbit Charge HR or Jawbone UP3, it's hard to even consider them barely in the same category as it is.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I couldn't care less about fitness stuff and love Android Wear for what it does. I disabled the Google Fit notifications and never look at my heart rate. I don't need a watch to tell me when I'm working out.

I totally respect that a lot of people use it for fitness and that helps separate it from just being another phone on your wrist. I just don't understand why.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm the same way. Don't give a gently caress about fitness tracking as I can do that when I'm at the gym by myself. I also get a lot of cardio during the day so know my steps are always above what doctors recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It's a whole separate movement called the "quantified self" that wearables just happen to fit into perfectly. I dunno, I'm not trying to lose weight yet I weigh myself every morning with a WiFi scale, I don't have trouble sleeping yet I check my sleep every morning, there is just something oddly completely satisfying about being able to measure yourself and plot and track that data.

Why do I track my runs every night? I'm fitter than most people, fitter than my doctor would expect me to be and yet I really, really, really care for some reason if I run 5k in 27 minutes instead of 24 for some reason.