Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The episodes are rough because the writers were coasting; they had a good thing with the Captain America 2 links and didn't bother to fill in enough interesting stuff beforehand. The problem with the show has never been that there weren't enough Marvel references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The episodes are rough because the writers were coasting; they had a good thing with the Captain America 2 links and didn't bother to fill in enough interesting stuff beforehand. The problem with the show has never been that there weren't enough Marvel references.

I'm not really a comics person so most of that is over my head, but once they were allowed to actually integrate with the Marvel universe in 'real time' the plot seemed to kick into gear. Those early episodes are still weak, really, incredibly weak and it's a shame that they writers couldn't do anything interesting with them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well they didn't, it happens all ther time, its a rare show that hits the ground running and stays there.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The difference with the Cap 2 crossover was that the events of the movie actually had a major impact on the show and gave the show a creative direction to build upon. AoS had previously had a "crossover" with Thor: The Dark World, but that only consisted of one scene of Coulson's team acting as a cleanup crew after Thor and Malekith's fight in the third act of the movie. Sif also showed up in a later episode I guess but I had stopped watching by that point.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

The difference with the Cap 2 crossover was that the events of the movie actually had a major impact on the show and gave the show a creative direction to build upon.

Did it, though? Team Coulsen still does everything they did when SHIELD was fully intact. Yeah, there are tons of surface differences, but there are no substantial differences vis a vis how stories are structured or how plots resolve themselves. You could literally take any season 1 script, replace a few words (Clearance Level 8 with US Government, Blues Skies with Hydra, etc) and have a fully realized season 2 script. Ask yourself:

Has the change in SHIELD hampered Coulsen and his team in any way?
Has the change impacted the plot or has it merely been referenced in dialogue?
Is there anything the characters can or can't do this season that they could or couldn't do last season?

If you ignore the window dressing, I think you'll realize its just the same old show in a conveniently cheaper and, to be honest, less interesting package.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Irish Joe posted:

Did it, though? Team Coulsen still does everything they did when SHIELD was fully intact. Yeah, there are tons of surface differences, but there are no substantial differences vis a vis how stories are structured or how plots resolve themselves. You could literally take any season 1 script, replace a few words (Clearance Level 8 with US Government, Blues Skies with Hydra, etc) and have a fully realized season 2 script. Ask yourself:

Has the change in SHIELD hampered Coulsen and his team in any way?
Has the change impacted the plot or has it merely been referenced in dialogue?
Is there anything the characters can or can't do this season that they could or couldn't do last season?

If you ignore the window dressing, I think you'll realize its just the same old show in a conveniently cheaper and, to be honest, less interesting package.

Status-quo changes never change that much anyway. Person Of Interest does the same thing, despite the pretty huge changes they go through. It would be a bit better if their job was hampered in more than a superficial way, but I'm not going to moan if it isn't. ("We can't do this, we're not Shield", "It's ok, I've found another way.").

The DNA of the show will stay the same, because of course it has to. For me I'm just glad they've made an entertaining show at last. I still think they have a dialogue issue, but the characters are a little more interesting at least. It's also completely lacking in style and everything is so overlit that it makes me want to turn the contrast on my TV down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

The difference with the Cap 2 crossover was that the events of the movie actually had a major impact on the show and gave the show a creative direction to build upon.
They had a decent premise initially. The problem was that they didn't do much with that and that the episodes themselves weren't great.

There are really obvious differences between season 1 and season 2 (Ward and Fitz are completely different characters now, in that they're actually interesting), but fundamentally they're doing the same kind of stories except in a not-completely-poo poo way.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They had a decent premise initially. The problem was that they didn't do much with that and that the episodes themselves weren't great.

There are really obvious differences between season 1 and season 2 (Ward and Fitz are completely different characters now, in that they're actually interesting), but fundamentally they're doing the same kind of stories except in a not-completely-poo poo way.

Even as a psychopath Ward is still boring and I doubt giving Skye super-powers will make her interesting either. Fitz is better then he was, but then Iain De Caestecker can actually act.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Flatscan posted:

Even as a psychopath Ward is still boring and I doubt giving Skye super-powers will make her interesting either. Fitz is better then he was, but then Iain De Caestecker can actually act.

Really, though, the only good characters are the larger of the two black guys, the Australian guy and the guy who plays Skye's dad.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The plot structure and pacing of Agents of SHIELD have a lot more in common with season 2 of Alias now, and that's a good thing. (Lead female is one of a chosen few, tied with a mcguffin that has the potential to change the world for great good or chaos. Family members long thought dead coming out of the woodwork. Unreliable source of intelligence possibly playing the main team for their own agenda imprisoned with the condition they only talk to lead female. A lot more spy shenanigans and double/triple crossings.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

-Blackadder- posted:

Looking for something to watch. How are Masters of Sex

really good for season 1, really bad for half a season and then really, really good for half a season in season 2

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thanks to everyone in this thread who reminded me that Alpha House is a thing. 2 episodes into season 2 and I'm loving it. Season 1 was good, but this is transcendent so far.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's why their hair is so big. It's full of secrets.

(dear god how did this get made)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assume that has the benefit of people having seen the who season, but it won't be cited nearly as much as this, which I assume only considers 1 (or a few) pre-release episodes:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

thrawn527 posted:

Thanks to everyone in this thread who reminded me that Alpha House is a thing. 2 episodes into season 2 and I'm loving it. Season 1 was good, but this is transcendent so far.

And thank you for pointing out that Season 2 is out. Loved season 1. Off to marathon.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I assume that has the benefit of people having seen the who season, but it won't be cited nearly as much as this, which I assume only considers 1 (or a few) pre-release episodes:

This would be a more relevant link

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-critics-pick-10-best-tv-shows-of-2014

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

USA's afternoon marathons of SVU are the best. I think the one one right now, "Babes", might be my new favorite episode, because I never thought when I saw a man running down the street on fire at the beginning of the episode that it would lead to "high school pregnancy pact."

edit: and the next episode is the one with basketball monkey, this is the best afternoon ever

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 30, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

Oh God, the third episode is even better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

edit: and the next episode is the one with basketball monkey, this is the best afternoon ever

That's the one where they open the basketball and the monkey climbs out and hugs the captain at the end, yes?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The biggest problem with Amazon shows is that they are on Amazon which most people dont have, and has way more rights issues then Netflix has.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Amazon has anywhere from 10m to 50m Prime accounts depending on who you ask, compared to 29m Netflix accounts. Not sure the number of subscribers is the issue.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xandu posted:

Amazon has anywhere from 10m to 50m Prime accounts depending on who you ask, compared to 29m Netflix accounts. Not sure the number of subscribers is the issue.

With up to 5 people sharing accounts just for shipping with only one of those having streaming access and people who only want shipping I think it could be. But also none of Amazon's shows look terribly interesting to me (as someone with shipping only prime but easy access to their shows anyway).

Amazon Prime is still primarily a thing you get for free 2 day shipping.

e: Also their interface is supposedly hot garbage, which won't be enticing any of the people who only care about shipping.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 31, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Metal Loaf posted:

That's the one where they open the basketball and the monkey climbs out and hugs the captain at the end, yes?

That's the one!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

e: Also their interface is supposedly hot garbage, which won't be enticing any of the people who only care about shipping.

Eh, it's kind of lovely on console apps but the web interface is fine.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Well this sucks, Christine Cavanaugh died.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?n=christine-josephine-cavanaugh&pid=173657726

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok well having gotten through SHIELD to the Winter Soldier tie in yeah this show is pretty legit now.

Why did they start it so lovely? Wow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

SVU is amazing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

Ok well having gotten through SHIELD to the Winter Soldier tie in yeah this show is pretty legit now.

Why did they start it so lovely? Wow.

Easy answer? Corporate pressure that Mutant Enemy didn't know how to roll with, combined with the knowledge that anything they started to do with the show was going to be blown the gently caress up by Winter Soldier, thereby limiting their options.

If you can believe it, it's possible that being more modestly rated may have actually helped the show recover creatively. The pressure to be NCIS: Marvel may have dissipated once ABC realized it wasn't ever going to get NCIS numbers.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Babe :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timby posted:

Eh, it's kind of lovely on console apps but the web interface is fine.

Why yes, I would like to look for each season of a show individually, thank you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

Why yes, I would like to look for each season of a show individually, thank you.

Or you know you can use the simple drop down menu that's located right there on the page.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The seasons still show up separately when you're searching on the website though. It just doesn't feel as slick as Netflix yet but it's getting better.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

thrawn527 posted:

Oh God, the third episode is even better.

Episode four is even better. the only downside of it is that it is the very, very best episode so everything after it's a little diminished by not being quite as good as that.

John Goodman will not be Emmy nominated, and neither will Janel Moloney, and THAT will suuuuuuuuck.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

The seasons still show up separately when you're searching on the website though. It just doesn't feel as slick as Netflix yet but it's getting better.

The iPad app, which is what I primarily use besides the Smart TV app, is much better than the Netflix one in my opinion. Both have garbage Smart TV apps though. But then again most Smart TV apps are garbage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Easy answer? Corporate pressure that Mutant Enemy didn't know how to roll with, combined with the knowledge that anything they started to do with the show was going to be blown the gently caress up by Winter Soldier, thereby limiting their options.
I really don't buy the second part, because I think the problems with the show initially had very little to do with a weak overarching story / lack of tie-ins and much more to do with failing at basic stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, the problem is that it adds so much clutter to the interface. There's just no good reason for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is, it's to get you to browse non-prime stuff so that you might purchase.

Anyways, the smart way to do it is to add a show to your watchlist from the computer and then it shows up in other apps in season order all together without fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That'll do it for this year. See you in the 2015 Couch Chat Reboot!

• Locked thread