Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stallone is famous for doing his own stunts but did he really pick up Hulk Hogan while filming Rocky 3? It's shot so you can't see his face which is Hollywood for "no" but then again, Sylvester Stallone. I know he got the poo poo beat out of him because Hogan was too dumb to work his punches more than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also, Steph is in charge of the writers, but she didn't actually have any experience prior to that, did she?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Stallone is famous for doing his own stunts but did he really pick up Hulk Hogan while filming Rocky 3? It's shot so you can't see his face which is Hollywood for "no" but then again, Sylvester Stallone. I know he got the poo poo beat out of him because Hogan was too dumb to work his punches more than usual.

I wouldn't put the latter bit on Hogan. Stallone has a long history of roughing it up with his co-stars: on the set of Rocky IV he told Dolph Lundgren to punch him in the chest as hard as he could, so Dolph did and put him into the hospital for a couple days. There was the story that Steve Austin broke his neck on the Expendables, but (according to Steve on his podcast) that ended up being the result of years of Stallone performing his own stunts and all. I'm sure many more examples could be found over the years.

Speaking of Rocky IV, figure I'd drop this gem from the Movie Poster thread:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kevin Nash had a few stories from The Punisher as well, including how Thomas Jane accidentally stabbed him in their big fight scene. He forgot to swap out the real knife for a prop knife and just jabs Nash with it.

They actually kept the scene in the movie because Nash doesn't flinch at all, so that look at scared surprise on Thomas Jane's face is real. That's him thinking "oh poo poo I stabbed him and he didn't even react".

Nash also mentioned something about how stunt work was harder than wrestling, because you don't hit the other guy at all but still have to make it look good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

I wouldn't put the latter bit on Hogan. Stallone has a long history of roughing it up with his co-stars: on the set of Rocky IV he told Dolph Lundgren to punch him in the chest as hard as he could, so Dolph did and put him into the hospital for a couple days. There was the story that Steve Austin broke his neck on the Expendables, but (according to Steve on his podcast) that ended up being the result of years of Stallone performing his own stunts and all. I'm sure many more examples could be found over the years.

Speaking of Rocky IV, figure I'd drop this gem from the Movie Poster thread:

Either way, I looked it up and Stallone says he did lift Hulk Hogan and throw him out of the ring. He said originally he was trying to deadlift Hogan (!) but he was too big for that so they did it the normal way with Hogan jumping so Stallone could get him up onto his shoulders and dump him over the ropes.

He did say that he wanted to be thrown out of the ring by Hogan before that but Frank Stallone convinced him to use a stuntman instead.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MrBling posted:

Kevin Nash had a few stories from The Punisher as well, including how Thomas Jane accidentally stabbed him in their big fight scene. He forgot to swap out the real knife for a prop knife and just jabs Nash with it.

They actually kept the scene in the movie because Nash doesn't flinch at all, so that look at scared surprise on Thomas Jane's face is real. That's him thinking "oh poo poo I stabbed him and he didn't even react".

Nash also mentioned something about how stunt work was harder than wrestling, because you don't hit the other guy at all but still have to make it look good.

Nash is awesome and terrible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nash is great and terrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Like Zeus, basically

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kevin Nash is always right and always wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Guys, Kevin Nash wasn't Zeus or the Zodiac Man. That was Tiny Lister and Brutus Beefcake.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Either way, I looked it up and Stallone says he did lift Hulk Hogan and throw him out of the ring. He said originally he was trying to deadlift Hogan (!) but he was too big for that so they did it the normal way with Hogan jumping so Stallone could get him up onto his shoulders and dump him over the ropes.

He did say that he wanted to be thrown out of the ring by Hogan before that but Frank Stallone convinced him to use a stuntman instead.

Did he? :aaa: I'm a little surprised Hogan went for that, honestly. That's really cool, though, on both parts!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oz, the Great and Terrible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the GFW version of WK9 available on iPPV or just regular PPV?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is the GFW version of WK9 available on iPPV or just regular PPV?
http://globalforcewrestling.com/flipps/

Unclear if it's for PC or just iOS/Android.
e: Also Xbox 360 and One.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like people keep harping on the Kreski thing even though it happened like 15 years ago, as if things don't change in the industry in that span of time and like they haven't had other writers who give a poo poo since.

The main difference here is that the product was mostly excellent, Kreski was the HEAD writer and not just some schlub on the team, he was replaced by the boss' daughter, and the quality immediately sank like an Acme anvil when she took over. A lot of it isn't so much fist shaking at nepotism as it is "What If," since the transition happened shortly before WCW kicked the bucket. Stephanie & Vince took the golden opportunity to hemorrhage fans and start a slow circling of the drain that continues today. Maybe things would be a little bit different, if only for a year or two.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

Did he? :aaa: I'm a little surprised Hogan went for that, honestly. That's really cool, though, on both parts!

I feel like it would be a case of Hogan does as he's told because knows he's dealing with someone who is a bigger deal than him what with Stallone being a big hollywood star, but then I remember he's Hulk Hogan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bobtista posted:

I feel like it would be a case of Hogan does as he's told because knows he's dealing with someone who is a bigger deal than him what with Stallone being a big hollywood star, but then I remember he's Hulk Hogan.

It's not a crazy thought because Hogan wouldn't even drop falls in matches at this point in his career.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

http://globalforcewrestling.com/flipps/

Unclear if it's for PC or just iOS/Android.
e: Also Xbox 360 and One.

That distinction is pretty key, can anyone verify? Probably not since the thing hasn't happened yet :shobon:

Nm, I'll investigate tomorrow. Thanks!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bobtista posted:

It's 1981 when that was filmed so Hogan's getting famous but isn't yet the international icon we know and love. Vince Sr. didn't want him to do the movie so he had to go back to the AWA and Japan for a few years until Vince Jr. took over.

His line delivery in that movie is so bad when all he has to do is be Heel Hulk, too. It's weird.

I forget which movie it was but I remember a story where Stallone was working on a movie that used wrestlers and the actors and stuntmen all looked down on them. Stallone gave a speech to the effect of "these guys can do in one take on day one what it takes you guys weeks to work out, shut the gently caress up." I think it was Paradise Alley.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 30, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's 1981 when that was filmed so Hogan's getting famous but isn't yet the international icon we know and love. Vince Sr. didn't want him to do the movie so he had to go back to the AWA and Japan for a few years until Vince Jr. took over.

His line delivery in that movie is so bad when all he has to do is be Heel Hulk, too. It's weird.

Hogan was a gigantic star in Japan during this period to the point where the US basically became his side job. He was under explicit orders to not job without permission from Inoki (and went above and beyond this, becoming difficult to work with in Japan too.) If he thought something would hurt his image in the early 80s he would balk at it no matter what. The Vince Sr. story is completely silly because Vince Sr. booked all the US talent for New Japan anyway.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I forget which movie it was but I remember a story where Stallone was working on a movie that used wrestlers and the actors and stuntmen all looked down on them. Stallone gave a speech to the effect of "these guys can do in one take on day one what it takes you guys weeks to work out, shut the gently caress up." I think it was Paradise Alley.

I'd forgotten about this until you mentioned it, but you're absolutely right:

On the Legends of Wrestling II game, "Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase admitted he flashed across the screen briefly in the movie. He then said that some of the other actors were making wise-cracks about wrestling. Sylvester Stallone then stopped production one day and announced, "I don't want to hear another word about pro-wrestling and wrestlers. These guys (the wrestlers) were doing something for us in three days, that would have taken 6 months to do with Hollywood stuntmen. These guys are the best improv actors in the world." Dibiase said he stuck out his chest a little farther after the comment, citing it made him feel good.

Quite a few wrestlers in this movie, actually: Terry Funk (who's been in at least two Stallone movies, the other being Over the Top). With cameos from Ted DiBiase, Bob Roop, Dick Murdoch, Dory Funk Jr.; Don Leo Jonathan, Don Kernodle, Gene Kiniski; Dennis Stamp, Ray Stevens, and Uliuli Fifita.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That distinction is pretty key, can anyone verify? Probably not since the thing hasn't happened yet :shobon:

Nm, I'll investigate tomorrow. Thanks!

Everything I can see suggests app-based. You can use the PlayTo function on an Xbox to stream the video to your TV though, if it's on the same LAN/WLAN as your phone or tablet.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
What's going on with Brad Maddox? I remember seeing tweets that he was starting from the bottom and competing at House Shows, is he still doing that or has he vanished again?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lay some legendary 1980s Japanese deathmatches on me. I want to see Terry Funk explode, dammit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chewy Bitems posted:

What's going on with Brad Maddox? I remember seeing tweets that he was starting from the bottom and competing at House Shows, is he still doing that or has he vanished again?

I thought I heard something about him scouting talent on the indies, but don't quote me on that

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Benne posted:

I thought I heard something about him scouting talent on the indies, but don't quote me on that

IIRC he attended a PWG show as a fan and that was warped into "Brad Maddox is a talent scout"

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I just watched the documentary Channel 4 did on Paige's family a while back.

What's her brother Zak up to now? Is he still trying to get fit enough for a successful WWE tryout or has he contented himself with knocking about in the indies? I like him, I'd like to see him do well.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Piggybacking off that question, is Paige really that pale?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

She's British, so yeah.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

On Smackdown they pipe in her paleness but Raw is live so that really is her skin color on Raw.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
That's like asking about Neville's ears.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

On Smackdown they pipe in her paleness but Raw is live so that really is her skin color on Raw.

:golfclap: spectacular post here.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

lol at the ten percent chance that's true.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

lol at the ten percent chance that's true.

quote:

Jane says, "This is the problem when you let your actors do their own stunts. I stabbed him, I punctured the skin a little bit.
"That look on my face of awe (in the film) is for real. He didn't move. But it's never a good day to stab your co-star when he's 6 feet 10 inches."

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
What was the date of that Cena/CM Punk amazing match on Raw a couple years back? I think it was in January? Pretty sure it's the match with the piledriver in it. I've never seen it and trying to find it now, could've sworn it was on the WWE YT channel but can't find one that matches.

Thanks!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chewy Bitems posted:

What was the date of that Cena/CM Punk amazing match on Raw a couple years back? I think it was in January? Pretty sure it's the match with the piledriver in it. I've never seen it and trying to find it now, could've sworn it was on the WWE YT channel but can't find one that matches.

Thanks!

This is the piledriver match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxtqta_john-cena-vs-cm-punk-wwe-raw-25th-feb-2013_sport

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

ah deadly, thanks man.

e: that was a fantastic match. Didn't know about the Cena-canrana, very unexpected. Commentary was really good too, really added to the match.

Chewy Bitems fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 1, 2015

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

projecthalaxy posted:

There were only two or three WWE (not WCW) Great American Bashes, but they were all garbage. Especially 2006.

I thought it was 2004 that was wretched? Not a good match at all and its topped off with the dudley's taking on the undertaker in a match for bearer's life. Taker wins(of course) and kills bearer anyways.

It also showed how little faith they had Eddie's title run at the time coming on before taker's match.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ColeM posted:

It also showed how little faith they had Eddie's title run at the time coming on before taker's match.

This makes me wonder... how many times has the top title changed hands not in the main event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
I was given the most recent Macho Man Blu Ray as a Christmas gift and watched Savage vs Flair from September '92 where Flair wins the title back. It's the first time I've seen the match. It takes place shortly after Summerslam 92 and Savage is still selling an injured knee from Flair's chair attack.

My question is this: is that the one and only time Flair (or anyone) has won via a pinfall during a figure four leg lock? I don't think I've seen that finish in WWE before.

...also, is that Steve Austin appearing as a lumberjack during the Macho vs Hogan lumberjack match from '86? It sure looks like him but I didn't think he was in the company at the time.