Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I think one of the issues with intercepting something in orbit is that the UI for it is actually really fiddly. It's hard to zoom in enough to make sure the orbits match (don't forget to keep the maneuver node in view so you can adjust it!), and the tooltips are honestly pretty bad. By default they only show up when you hover, but you can click on them to make them persist; sometimes, this means if you're modifying a burn that's at your apoapsis, you end up turning on both your current Ap and your post-maneuver Ap, and then they just draw on top of each other. It can also be hard to figure out if your closest intercept is ahead of or behind your target (I always forget which icon is which). I've learned how to do it, but I feel like I'm fighting the UI half the time.

And god help you if the physics calculations decide to be a pain in the rear end and make it impossible to change where on your current path the maneuver node should be positioned. Half the time it ends up deleting the node entirely for me, and this even happens on circular orbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

How did you know what my two favorite parts were?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Please tell me you submitted similar footage to news agencies for the latest airplane accident.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

CKAN is giving me a bunch of errors about not connecting to a remote server when trying to get FAR.

Nevermind it looks like Kerbalstuff is down.

Turks fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 31, 2014

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Well, that's weird. I somehow managed to get it so I can never get credit for landing on Minmus.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rufustfirefly/screenshot/39736858472309101

The only thing I can think of is that there are some DMagic extended science contracts that have multiple science goals--if that lander somehow grabbed the data from that temperature scan maybe it flagged it as not valid until I got to the KSCA. Unfortunately, I then sent a probe to test that theory and it didn't get credit for landing either. Perhaps it's time for the ol' debug menu.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Turks posted:

CKAN is giving me a bunch of errors about not connecting to a remote server when trying to get FAR.

Nevermind it looks like Kerbalstuff is down.

Try this mirror? http://amsterdam.ksp-ckan.org/master.zip

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So, for the aid of making shuttles and other things with multiple engines and an offset CoM and CoT, are there any mods that can automatically balance the thrust from the various engines to provide straight flying? I've got a great shuttle that makes it up to 25k no problem, but the torque becomes unmanageable as the main stack gets lighter.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Geirskogul posted:

How did you know what my two favorite parts were?

As I watched, I was really hoping someone had made a gif of that poor Kerbal getting sucked out the side and those bros on the rocket-propelled sled. Thank you KSP thread. You read my mind.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Cameras would be cool. Broadcasting footage to boost reputation anyone?

Are there any good mods or maybe features I've glanced over in the base game that keep tabs on notable achievements and milestones? Basically a scrapbook. Give me a scrapbook please. I want to relive the heady days of the first kerbal in orbit. And then the second kerbal in orbit sent up to get the first one back down.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Flagrant Abuse posted:

So, for the aid of making shuttles and other things with multiple engines and an offset CoM and CoT, are there any mods that can automatically balance the thrust from the various engines to provide straight flying?

Yes.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bgreman posted:

As I watched, I was really hoping someone had made a gif of that poor Kerbal getting sucked out the side and those bros on the rocket-propelled sled. Thank you KSP thread. You read my mind.

The video guy it to the next level

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Davon TC control systems also works very well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

edit: also how do I calculate how much delta V I need for a specific orbit? I have a contract for a 28,000km kerbin orbit and have no idea how much fuel I'll need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=000zDI2nmq8

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Any tips on building a reusable space plane? I've tried just downloading craft files but they all require mods to use properly and I'd rather stick with stock. Or are they semi required?

Most of my planes just cant seem to take off of the runway, even with ailerons.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 31, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, no matter how close I got, I couldn't cycle over with those keys; I tried them incessantly at a bunch of different distances and it... just never went anywhere. I stayed stubbornly locked onto my derpy little drone pod with its open seat. Also: I was trying what y'all are telling me, and I couldn't make it work. Inserted into a pretty good matching orbit off launch; a degree or two off on inclination, periapse and apoapse about two kilometers high and ascending node about 5 degrees off... pretty good initial match. Waited for the ascending node to match inclination about as precisely as I can see- but I can't quite figure out how to see numerically how close- and then waited until my point of closest approach of ~15km and did a burn to bring the next half-orbit's approach down to ~1km. Once I got there, I waited until I was 2km off, pointed at the target retrograde and brought my velocity as low as I could- ~1 m/s just from the slight altitude difference I had left- and then painfully slowly pivoted to point at the target prograde, burn up to 30 m/s, spin, come back down to as close to 0 m/s as I could... only to find that I couldn't get back down to that 1 m/s difference! I'd hoped to come closer by stages of a few hundred meters at a shot, but that was a fantasy; the rendezvous target just slipped away no matter what I did. The tutorial I found on youtube, incidentally, was remarkably counterproductive; it showed a guy just casually getting into a near perfect match without having to make any adjustments, which, if you've got enough practice to eyeball it that closely, great but it's not really helpful to a beginner. So that's why I was trying what sounded a bit weird!

e: Yeah I'm still a bit frazzled/irate. Can I go back to manually doing orbital rendezvous calculations by hand now like when I was a grad student? It was easier on my heart. :v:

I find this weird because this shouldn't be that hard. So let's go through it.

If I'm following correctly, you get the closest approach point to 1km and from there it gets a bit confused. Let's start from there.

You have the closest approach showing as 1km and wait until you're 2km off. Perfect. At this point you should switch to the normal view, the orbital view is useless. It doesn't really matter that much because the only thing you need from the view is the distance to the target, everything else is on the navball.

Anyway, you should see the target & its distance somewhere on your screen. Make sure the navball is in target mode and not in orbit mode. (This is very important, you HAVE to be in target mode for this to work.) Point your ship retrograde and wait until the target is closest. This is the GREEN retrograde icon here, not the pink one. When your target approaches its closest distance, burn until your relative velocity is close to 0.

Some more explanations about this. What you're actually doing here is this: all movement is relative, so let's take your own ship as the reference point. Relative to you, the other ship is moving at, say, 30m/s. Your ship is O, the other ship is X, the arrow is a velocity vector. Your ship is pointing in some random direction (not drawn):

code:
          O

X ---------------->
When you point your ship retrograde, but before you actually burn, the situation becomes this:

code:
          O ->

X ---------------->
You're pointing in the direction the target is flying (relative to you). So visually, the other ship will come up below you, and move up alongside you, and (if you do nothing) will keep moving up and away. At some point the other ship will be right besides you, at 1km. Like so:

code:
          O ->

X ---------------->
At this point you will want to burn to cancel out the relative velocity. The moment you burn is when the other ship is right alongside, because that's when it's closest. You'll end up with something like this:

code:
          O ---------------->

X ---------------->
Note that it's not perfect, but nothing is ever perfect. It's close enough though. Now, you're both moving at more less the same speed, in the same direction. The situation can be redrawn as this:

code:
          O ->

X ->
Now, point your ship towards the target and burn. (The PINK icon this time, not the green one. But as you're burning, the green icon will come very close to the pink icon anyway.) You're at 1km away, make it 20m/s or something. Now the situation can be drawn as this (note: still not perfect):

code:
          O --------------->            
                                                 X
Or, when you see your own ship as stationary:

code:
          O ->            
                                <--------------- X
Flip over your ship to point retrograde again. (The GREEN icon.) Situation is now:

code:
         <- O
                                <--------------- X
And what do you know, we're back where we started. But this time with a much, much closer approach, and probably with a smaller relative velocity. Since you're closer, you should probably be a bit more precise, so as you're approaching the target, gradually decrease your speed until you're at 0m/s. Suicide burns aren't the way to go here.

It's possible you'll need to do this a few times. But you'll get closer each time and eventually you'll run into your target. (And then it's docking time which is a whole different can of worms.)

Just remember:

1) Use target mode on the navball
2) Point retrograde (green) and cancel out relative velocity when closest
3) Point towards target (pink) and burn
4) Repeat from 2) until mating occurs

Addendum:

I see now that one point you say you pointed at the target retrograde. It's possible that this is where you went wrong. You have to point at the velocity retrograde (green icon), NOT the target retrograde. If you burn at the target retrograde, what you're doing is pointing away from the target. Like so:

code:
     ^
     |
     |
     O

X ------------------>
So as you see, that's completely the wrong direction.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Any tips on building a reusable space plane? I've tried just downloading craft files but they all require mods to use properly and I'd rather stick with stock. Or are they semi required?

Tip #1: Don't. It's incredibly tedious and fiddly, and reuseable rockets are significantly better at chucking poo poo into orbit.

Tip#2: make sure your planes are following the basic rules of airplanes, as enumerated in this basically perfect (if absurdly long) tutorial

Tip#3: You absolutely can make stock SSTO spaceplanes but by god are they rear end to control with just keyboard and mouse and most successful designs require spamming the poo poo out of air intakes and using action groups to manage them and the engines. But when you can manage it, boy howdy you feel superior to all the jerk kids who bullied you at Space Camp, saying that it's 'not appropriate' for a 37 year old man to attend and giving you swirlies in the 'space toilet' THAT ISN'T EVEN LIKE THE ONES THEY USE IN SPACE THE WATER WOULD GET EVERYWHERE GOD

hope this helps!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Welp

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

i really wish i'd paid attention in school

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, no matter how close I got, I couldn't cycle over with those keys; I tried them incessantly at a bunch of different distances and it... just never went anywhere.
Sounds like you did everything right, but for some reason the game didn't let you switch focus. Are you using a US keyboard layout? Otherwise it might be an idea to go into settings (from the main menu) and rebind the "focus next craft" to something else. I had to do that on my laptop because for some reason the default key didn't work.

e: Is there any mod that pumps fuel to keep your CoM from moving around too much? TAC Fuel Balancer can balance the load between tanks, but only to keep all tanks equally full, it doesn't automatically adjust the CoM.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 31, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Different keyboards + games are frustrating. "Your tilde key is in the wrong place and requires shift to use; I can't let you into the console, Palicgofueniczekt."

Edit: what happens with TAC if you cycle between enabling/disabling flow from certain tanks?

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 31, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TAC FB Goodspeed Fuel Pump ignores the stock flow rules, it adds a separate setting for "keep these tanks in balance", and you can group tanks into different balancing / auto pumping groups.

It's kind of neat if you build a fuel station, you can have the storage tanks set to auto pump and any ship that docks with it gets automatically refilled.

e: And if you have a fuel shuttle to refill the station, you can have that automatically fill up the storage tanks when docked.

e2: I just realized I was talking about the wrong mod. They both accomplish the same thing, but Goodspeed has a lot more features (and a much better interface)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 2, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In that video of the awesome eve landing it looks like the guy directs his kerbals to remove data from the materials bay, meaning he can just leave it and take the data without having to lug the whole thing back to kerbin. What mod is this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Airplane design 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-TFRnVyjso (watch all three parts)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

massive spider posted:

In that video of the awesome eve landing it looks like the guy directs his kerbals to remove data from the materials bay, meaning he can just leave it and take the data without having to lug the whole thing back to kerbin. What mod is this.

That's in the stock game, if you right click any science part with a kerbal nearby you can take the data

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AceClown posted:

That's in the stock game, if you right click any science part with a kerbal nearby you can take the data

I have built so many lovely rockets around the assumed requirement I had to carry that loving materials bay back to kerbin.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I have been doing all sorts of EVAs to extract science and crew reports to store it in pods ever since I saw one of illectro's videos where he unlocked the entire tech tree with a single moon mission and exploiting that strategy.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

massive spider posted:

I have built so many lovely rockets around the assumed requirement I had to carry that loving materials bay back to kerbin.

If you have a science lab with you, you can reset the materials bay/goo can, after removing the data, and biome hop with just one of each. Dump all of that crap before returning, of course.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sending my first unmanned probe out of Kerbin SoI (intentionally), to Duna.

Seems like the orbits coincidentally are just about perfect, am I right?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sending my first unmanned probe out of Kerbin SoI (intentionally), to Duna.

Seems like the orbits coincidentally are just about perfect, am I right?

Pull a manuver node out and see if you get an intercept man!

Don't forget to set Duna as the target

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

immelman posted:

Maccollo is a Kerbal God, the video of the Venus mission is the best Kerbal one I've seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONP9jS14toE

I was impressed by those. Very impressed.

...And then I noticed he was playing with FAR.

:stonkhat:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

A few thoughts related to the early game:
  • I agree with other people that jumping from 30 to 255 parts is a bit much. 30-60-125-255 would double the part count every time so the player would see a massive boost while still giving a sense of progress.
  • The length and width dimensional limits of the early vehicle assembly buildings don't really seem to limit design all that much in practice.
  • Make the stock capsule come with a built-in decoupler. That eliminates the parachute staging problem with the first rocket while not adding any new parts for the player to have to figure out. It also means you can move the 1.25 m decoupler up the tree, keeping manned capsules suborbital for a bit longer than 1-2 flights.
  • Instead move basic probes early along with expanded 62.5 cm parts. Move the 62.5 cm decoupler to where the 1.25 m decoupler was and add a combination size adapter/decoupler so players can do orbital probes and satellites first. The idea is that probes can reach further than manned flight in exchange for not being quite as capable.
  • Move the data transmission penalty from transmitting to extracting the data from the module and make the penalty apply to the modules that can't be reused after extraction. All the modules like the thermometer should dump the data directly into whatever experiment storage is on the probe. In exchange it should take time like a sort of science Karbonite so players are encouraged to set up satellites instead of just doing flybys to get data more effectively.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

AceClown posted:

massive spider posted:

Removing the data from science parts also makes them able to be used again, except the materials bay and goo pod, which need to be scrubbed by a science bay manned by two Kerbals before reuse.

You can also use the Ship Manifest mod to move science around without having to go on EVA and click everything.

MrYenko posted:

I was impressed by those. Very impressed.

...And then I noticed he was playing with FAR.

:stonkhat:
FAR (or NEAR) is pretty much required for RSS, otherwise it'd require another 5-10k dV to reach LKO.

The really impressive part is that he's using Deadly Reentry.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Can a Kerbal hypothetically jetpack from one of the moons back to Kerbin?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

karl fungus posted:

Can a Kerbal hypothetically jetpack from one of the moons back to Kerbin?

From Minmus, I think, but not Mun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also you'll die when you get there because the jetpack is not enough to resist Kerbin's gravity.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

haveblue posted:

Also you'll die when you get there because the jetpack is not enough to resist Kerbin's gravity.

You can still mod in parachutes for EVA right?

Or, with a couple select mods, you could catch the kerbal in a plane after re-entry for maximum :jeb:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If your kerbal is spinning and tumbling when he hits the ground, there's a small chance that the physics engine will let him live. It's something you can try in an emergency but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I was loving around with plane designs to see if I could get something to take off and killed Bob and Jeb, and accidentally pressed "Space Station." I can live with having killed Jeb and Bob, but for some reason the savegame is completely broken now, meaning that I can't do anything. I can't enter the assembly building and whenever I enter any of the other buildings I can't exit again (I've had a similar issue occur from time to time where I couldn't right/left click a building until I'd entered another and left.) Am I completely hosed Or is there some way to fix this? If not, can I tell KSP to keep the last four or five autosaves so this won't happen again? I just spent hours performing sattelite missions to get my funds and science up too :(

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Spaceman Future! posted:

You can still mod in parachutes for EVA right?

Or, with a couple select mods, you could catch the kerbal in a plane after re-entry for maximum :jeb:

You can use KAS to pickup a parachute with a kerbal, which they'll wear on their back and then you deploy it from the right-click menu.

The weight the parachute adds might be a problem though, a jetpack has a base dV of 600m/s which is probably cutting it close as-is. You might be able to get away with it using a grav-assist from Mun to sling you the rest of the way to Kerbin.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Abyssal Lurker did a jet pack return from Gilly in an earlier version of this game.