Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This is why you shouldn't declare SOTY at the start of December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbakPKgU5Y

Edit: Speaking of which I grabbed the new Thrasher and behind the fold-out cover of Westgate going up that rail there's a OJ Wheels ad that pretty much pre-emptively says "We know you aren't going to win SOTY Wes Kremer, but we took out this ad to say you're still our special boy" lmao.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
How do you explain to people your occupation is teaching cats to hippy jump dogs

Wes Kremer was the only good choice for SOTY. Dude went bananas all year. Yes on Wes

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
A certain someone has managed to gently caress up a simple paint job, and managed to make things worse by trying to clean the paint off the griptape and accidentally removing the sandpaper from it. Serves me him right for doing things without proper care and tools. Oh well, I just bought another griptape, those things are cheap. I thought it would be hell to remove, especially as most online tutorials mentioned that I'd need a hairdrier and a straight razor and that it would take a lot of time. I just peeled the thing off by hand and used it to sand the board to remove the glue residue, didn't take me five minutes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Back in the day I had griptape that looked like a boombox on a Zero and it was my most cherished purchase for years

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Grip art is a lost art :(

We've been cutting out laser designs in grip lately and it rocks but what doesn't rock when you're using lasers?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I used to rip up grip tape and make a mosaic on the deck Hosoi style.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Deklines new video "True Blue" is out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAkbeseFCcM

Features
Chad Tim Tim
Blake Carpenter
James Hardy
Pat Burke
Nick Merlino
Ryan Spencer
Matt Bennett
Dakota Servold
Aaron JAWS Homoki

Servold and Homoki are as impressive as ever. Not sure if video footage of Jaws' Thrasher cover where he's dropping in on a dump truck with it's bed all the way raised got out but it's in here. Nice to see Chad still in there doing it.

Have to admit I can't really talk much about the other guys' parts because they didn't put their drat names on there and I don't recognize anyone other than Nick Merlino on sight from the rest of them.

Nick Merlino btw spends 90% of his Thrasher interview about this video either apologizing or explaining fights he's had with...well everyone pretty much.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
This holiday break is being particularly nice to me. I've been enjoying skateboarding lately, although I'm not exactly making the most of not having to work during the day... the sun is just too strong! So my laziness speaks louder. But I'm still putting my hours in, and I have installed the Bones Reds in place of my old grease-based bearings, which were nice and cheap, but were starting to creak and make noises and run weird. I'll figure out how to clean them later, but it's a non-issue. The feeling I have is that I can skate anywhere. Now I just need to be able to figure out the ollie. Just a matter of time now. I'm really psyched over it all, best decision I took in 2014.

Now for another questions. Do you guys do any exercise routines to improve your balance and strength for skateboarding? I'm feeling horribly sore right now, which is definitely a good thing, but I am wondering if I can make the whole process smarter.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Like most sports, the best exercise for skating is skating.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

I don't give a gently caress what you ride. Some dude asked about Penny boards so I did him a favor and told him not to bother because they are garbage. If you want to ride one knock yourself out bro.

Just wanted to pop in to say that I disagree - I loving love cruising around on my Penny. It can be a death trap, but if you can't appreciate that quality on a skateboard then I think you're missing out on a lot of the old-school fun these types of boards were originally designed for back in the 70's.

To dismiss Penny boards as a gimmicky fad because of their popularity with hipsters or whatever modern tribe you want to hate on is pretty loving lame.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Do wheels 'go bad'? I just found an old set of rictas in my basement - they weren't used much and don't have any flat spots but have turned pretty yellow. It's probably been 10 years. They're not gonna like, crumble?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Nah go shred em

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

donJonSwan posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say that I disagree - I loving love cruising around on my Penny. It can be a death trap, but if you can't appreciate that quality on a skateboard then I think you're missing out on a lot of the old-school fun these types of boards were originally designed for back in the 70's.

To dismiss Penny boards as a gimmicky fad because of their popularity with hipsters or whatever modern tribe you want to hate on is pretty loving lame.

Nope, you're wrong and dumb for enjoying a thing that someone else doesn't enjoy. I had to get rid of my vinyl cruisers because I was also dumb and wrong, but not things in my life are so much better than I'm free of fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I watched the Plan B "True" video over the break and I don't think I'm as down on it as Maffew B...but it's hard not to be down on it. The criticism that a large portion of it is the guys falling (and most often not in very notable ways) is real and deserved. It's still easily one of the best vids of the year...but I mean, what else could it have been?

Chris Joslin is a worthy huck machine. The bigspin at MACBA already broke my brain via the sequence on the contents page for the January Thrasher but I still marked out about it. I love that gap, there's something about the look of someone at the height of that jump that impresses me even more than most step gaps. And Chris hits a ridiculous height and lands waaaay into the street. Incredible.

Torey Pudwill's part lives up to the hype. Sheckler's doesn't but that might just be me. I hear a lot about the high tech recovery and medical poo poo he puts himself through and I wonder what the point is if you aren't really top of the pops. Gotta do something with the money. That said, his drop in intro that was in that Volcom ad is one of the scariest things in the whole vid and might just put Jaws' dumptruck drop in to shame.

Trevor McClung punches above his weight and might have the second best part in the whole thing. Felipe Gustavo was also a bit of a surprise, incredible control on ledges that look picture perfect.

The missing guys like Danny Way, PJ Ladd and Colin McKay are an issue but what can you do. Kind of hosed, makes me wonder if they took their ball and went home rather than putting out vert focussed parts that weren't "progressive". Or if they spent years on some big giant custom vert ramp while the world became more interested in scummy bowls?

Bottom line: Really good video. You can't make a really GREAT video today without a really heavy lift and it feels like whoever put this together was trying to raise the bar by editing down instead of...idk, tricking up. Which is pretty wrong when it comes to a plan b vid with this many years behind it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I don't care that he sucked or did it publicly or whatever everyone is hating on him for but it's pretty insulting to see security working TO let the biebz skate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Him and Lil Wayne should get sponsored by Tired.

btw their video came out on xmas and I haven't been able to watch it, someone plz get on the thrasher youtube and tell me it's beautiful.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I figured that was Beiber's security?
Anyways props to the guy for going for it. I like his little fist pump at the end after his uh...make. That poo poo is real.

I'm also trying to find a good time to watch the Tired video. People have told me it was enjoyable.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BRZoqUTD5M

Here' the Tired video. They have fun and I appreciate that

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Watched it yesterday, it owns hard and we should make a new years resolution to get an old goon in the next one. Also was that Tyler the creator failing a pole jam drop in as "a bundle of sticks"?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No idea but I do love that they said if your footage didn't get in you were probably too good. Also thought early on "This seems like something that will have Biebel in it" and bam, there he is doing whatever that was

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Watched it yesterday, it owns hard and we should make a new years resolution to get an old goon in the next one. Also was that Tyler the creator failing a pole jam drop in as "a bundle of sticks"?

As the oldest goon reading this thread, let me know what I have to do.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BRZoqUTD5M

Here' the Tired video. They have fun and I appreciate that

This is what skateboarding is all about.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Does anyone here know what the "format" or gimmick is supposed to be for the "Bru-Ray" series on Thrasher? All I can tell is that it's unserious and involves a lot of parks. There's a "christmas cookie" series of them up now that has Ishod and Grant Taylor and some other big names loving around at parks, pools, backyard ramps and bowls. Cool stuff.

Description - "The Maka's drove on down to Tampa with a big crew of rippers. Koston, Ishod, GT, CK1, Brock and a whole slew of others. -P-Stone"

I think it might just be c-footage? Dunno.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Does anyone here know what the "format" or gimmick is supposed to be for the "Bru-Ray" series on Thrasher? All I can tell is that it's unserious and involves a lot of parks. There's a "christmas cookie" series of them up now that has Ishod and Grant Taylor and some other big names loving around at parks, pools, backyard ramps and bowls. Cool stuff.

Description - "The Maka's drove on down to Tampa with a big crew of rippers. Koston, Ishod, GT, CK1, Brock and a whole slew of others. -P-Stone"

I think it might just be c-footage? Dunno.

I'm not sure either but have been enjoying the series, i'll watch anything featuring GT, which reminds me, Anti Hero have been uploading their back catalogue of videos to youtube the last few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/user/antiheroskatevids

I reccomend people watch Tent City if you haven't already seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k27IA1x_Q

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm glad Tent City is up, I bought a copy of that for real cheap at a Tower Records that was closing down but the DVD was hosed.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Man that's a great vid. Thanks for the tip!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Goin' to the skate park and I'm gooooonna get a key

This winter is going to own.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Zigmidge posted:

This winter is going to own.

It has for skiing and snowboarding.

All the snow in Denver has made skating outside pretty much impossible. It will all melt today though... Only for snow in the forecast tomorrow.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh this is totally an indoor park. Gonna get my after-work miniramp on.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

XIII posted:

Nope, you're wrong and dumb for enjoying a thing that someone else doesn't enjoy. I had to get rid of my vinyl cruisers because I was also dumb and wrong, but not things in my life are so much better than I'm free of fun.

Hi, I'm still alive. While Leica did make some good points on the cons of mini-cruiser style boards, I still went and ordered a stereo vinyl. Even though my LY dinghy isn't by any means a pain to take around, It's cool to have an even lighter option that I can actually fit in my gym locker at college. Plus for the price of a stereo board, I can buy a brand new pair of Bones Reds and come under the price tag of an average Penny board. :yum:

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
How many of you use your skateboards as part of your daily commute, and how are your setups like? I'm already comfortable riding it, but there are still a couple of things I have to work on before I take my board to the "big" "city", meaning not the boonies where I live at. I take the bus and then walk to work, so I'm itching to just ride from the station to my workplace. I figure it would be a great way to save time from my daily routine and to put the hours into my new hobby.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

the night dad posted:

Hi, I'm still alive. While Leica did make some good points on the cons of mini-cruiser style boards, I still went and ordered a stereo vinyl. Even though my LY dinghy isn't by any means a pain to take around, It's cool to have an even lighter option that I can actually fit in my gym locker at college. Plus for the price of a stereo board, I can buy a brand new pair of Bones Reds and come under the price tag of an average Penny board. :yum:

Upgrade your bushings too. Trust me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Why are stock bushings always so bad?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I always figured that most trucks don't get used enough for the user to care about bushings...so why splurge on good bushings if you are a manufacturer?
Theeve's come with Bones bushings and the Ace trucks that I've been skating for about a year still have the stock bushings.
Ace trucks rule.
Stock Independent bushings are always terrible but people tell me the ones that Indy sells aftermarket are really good.

I used Doh-dohs back in the day and then I used Bones before I started skating Ace trucks, which rule by the way.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ace, you say? I'll take a look at those for my next truck purchase. Knowing me, though, I'd probably swap the stock bushings out for bones hardcores after 15 minutes.

In other news, I caught myself from an 8 foot fall with my chest last night. My boobs hurt a lot, today.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

XIII posted:

Upgrade your bushings too. Trust me.

How about the stock wheels? Most of the complaints I read were just the bearings were, "eh, " and bushings cost like nothing to replace anyways.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

the night dad posted:

How about the stock wheels? Most of the complaints I read were just the bearings were, "eh, " and bushings cost like nothing to replace anyways.

I've had no problems with the stock wheels as far as ride quality is concerned. I will mention that one of my original wheels was slightly imperfect, but one quick, friendly email to their customer service got me a whole new set rush shipped for free, so all was well.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Zigmidge posted:

Ace, you say? I'll take a look at those for my next truck purchase. Knowing me, though, I'd probably swap the stock bushings out for bones hardcores after 15 minutes.

In other news, I caught myself from an 8 foot fall with my chest last night. My boobs hurt a lot, today.

Ace trucks are real turny, just fun to ride. Indy's always felt right to me, other trucks would feel a bit off when popping an ollie. I would put back on Independents and things would get back to normal. Ace didn't do me like that, it's like an Indy but better. Supposedly it has some aspects of the Independent Stage 3 design?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Do replacement bushings fit most truck brands? My old tensors are squeaky as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Just got my stereo vinyl in the mail!

I have yet to give it a real ride, but these are my initial thoughts after a quick back and forth in the backyard:

-Contrary to what I thought before, the bearings aren't all that mediocre. They're not amazing, but I feel I could easily run with them for a month or two before replacement with some Bones Reds. Overall the stock parts are utilitarian, but still good.
-EXCEPT the bushings (lol big surprise). They feel like someone took two of those 25 cent bouncy balls from a supermarket vending machine and stuck 'em on the trucks.
-Compared to the deck of a Penny it's a small amount stiffer, but I figure the different brands are probably made in the same factory in China, so whatever.
-Also unlike a Penny, there is no branding on the back of the tail. Instead there's a indent to place your thumb in when you carry it around, which I find extremely nifty.