Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Celery Face posted:

The whole pawn system is really cool. I've never seen anything like it.

For people who don't know, you can get other player's main pawns as followers and when they're outleveled, send them off with a gift (usually just some random junk in my inventory) for the person who made them.

Also if a pawn encounters a location/enemy before their player, they'll have knowledge about it when the player reaches it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a spell for magic archers where you sacrifice the soul of one of your pawns to fire them out of your magic bow as an arrow which then explodes spectacularly when it hits anything and does like a bajillion damage. You can then retrieve your buddy from the nearest pawn restore stone thing and they'll be just fine. It's incredible.

There is one other game that does this, however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXEY9XZTqTA&t=361s

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Super House of Dead Ninjas, the flippers allow you to run across water. Of course, I figured this out by accidentally running headlong into an enemy. :shobon:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

With all these different layouts over the years, it makes something as simple as pressing X something you may have to stop and think about.

gently caress you 3DS.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Celery Face posted:

In Dragon's Dogma, there's a system where you can romance literally every NPC in the game (including little kids, Capcom didn't exactly think the whole thing through) and you might not know about it until a cutscene where the dragon kidnaps them. It'll probably be the NPC you talked to the most, like a merchant or an innkeeper. Someone decided to go with the court jester just to see how it would look and good god is it hilarious.

The innkeeper or merchant thing was actually true for a lot of players until a patch made a special case for those two NPCs in particular. An NPC likes you a tiny bit more every single time you talk to them, so naturally the innkeeper and weapon store owner tend to have a lot of "affinity" with you by this point in the game since you've been talking to them and skipping through their 2 lines of dialogue nonstop for pretty much the whole game.

So a lot of players with no knowledge that this system even exists (because the game does literally nothing at all to communicate it to you) arrive at the huge climactic fight with the dragon only to be told that the innkeeper is their true love and they must fight the dragon to save him.

Every NPC in the game is pansexual.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The innkeeper or merchant thing was actually true for a lot of players until a patch made a special case for those two NPCs in particular. An NPC likes you a tiny bit more every single time you talk to them, so naturally the innkeeper and weapon store owner tend to have a lot of "affinity" with you by this point in the game since you've been talking to them and skipping through their 2 lines of dialogue nonstop for pretty much the whole game.

So a lot of players with no knowledge that this system even exists (because the game does literally nothing at all to communicate it to you) arrive at the huge climactic fight with the dragon only to be told that the innkeeper is their true love and they must fight the dragon to save him.

If they ever do a sequel and you can't accidentally end up gay married to the innkeeper it just won't be the same.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Celery Face posted:

The whole pawn system is really cool. I've never seen anything like it.

For people who don't know, you can get other player's main pawns as followers and when they're outleveled, send them off with a gift (usually just some random junk in my inventory) for the person who made them.

Playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, I've really been missing DD's pawns. Picking up crafting supplies around the world gets annoying way more quickly than it becomes unnecessary. I wish the 3 lazy jerks following me around would lend a hand gathering ore and herbs, once in a while.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In Bayonetta 2 there's a log entry titled Rules of Nature :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ignimbrite posted:

In Bayonetta 2 there's a log entry titled Rules of Nature :v:

And the boss with the huge sword's sword is made of valiantium and his entry states that it will one day be used by a group of heroes to save the galaxy.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
What do either of those references mean?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

poonchasta posted:

Platinum really likes referencing their previous games. The first one is to the most famous song form Metal Gear Rising, and the latter is a major character's weapon from Wonderful 101.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

poonchasta posted:

The first is a reference to Metal Gear Rising and the second is a reference to Wonderful 101, both games made by Platinum Games, who made Bayonetta 2

edit:goddmanit

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cleretic posted:

Platinum really likes referencing their previous games.

Even when they don't own the rights to them. If you fail a certain quick time event in W101 enough times, Wonder Pink's cellphone conversation is slowed to real time and you can listen to her gossiping with Silvia about Joe. :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I never got a chance to play Dragon's Dogma because I only play on PC but I'd kill for a PC sequel.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I had no idea the game even had a romance system and I wound up with the duchess as my love interest. I just assumed that was the way the story was meant to play out, but I guess I got her because I did all of her side quests. I also didn't realize those quests were meant to be optional. Dragon's Dogma is amazing.

Celery Face posted:

In Dragon's Dogma, there's a system where you can romance literally every NPC in the game (including little kids, Capcom didn't exactly think the whole thing through)
It's a Japanese game, of course they thought it through. I guess if you wanted to play as a child character you had the option to not end up with an adult love interest. DD did have the most robust character creator I've ever seen in an RPG. You can be anything from an 8-year old kid to a shriveled old granny.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

This is pretty much the reason all the guests at my wedding in Skyrim were blacksmiths, merchants and a few minor quest givers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arstan posted:

Playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, I've really been missing DD's pawns. Picking up crafting supplies around the world gets annoying way more quickly than it becomes unnecessary. I wish the 3 lazy jerks following me around would lend a hand gathering ore and herbs, once in a while.

No poo poo, right?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kimmalah posted:

This is pretty much the reason all the guests at my wedding in Skyrim were blacksmiths, merchants and a few minor quest givers.

Nothing beats having Tullius at your wedding because you talked to him a bunch of times right before marrying somebody. I wonder if it's possible to get both Tullius and Ulfric to attend if you run back and forth doing quests for them before having to choose a side?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Arstan posted:

Well, you can use war table operations to gather resources, but I don't think they give you much. It would also be nice if your party members could give you a boost onto ledges or whatever every once in a while so you didn't have to hop around like an idiot. Particularly if Iron Bull is on your team.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Deltasquid posted:

Nothing beats having Tullius at your wedding because you talked to him a bunch of times right before marrying somebody. I wonder if it's possible to get both Tullius and Ulfric to attend if you run back and forth doing quests for them before having to choose a side?

If you didn't tell Ulfric to gently caress off and massacre as many Stormcloaks as possible right out of the gate then you aren't playing the game right. :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Deltasquid posted:

Tullius doesn't really get involved in anything until you join the Legion side, so I doubt it. Balgruuf is the one that sends you on errands to Ulfric mostly. Too bad, because I remember someone posting about how some people from opposing factions showed up at his wedding and it turned into all out brawl to the death. :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Suspicious Cook posted:

Even when they don't own the rights to them. If you fail a certain quick time event in W101 enough times, Wonder Pink's cellphone conversation is slowed to real time and you can listen to her gossiping with Silvia about Joe. :allears:

Sylvia is Wonder-Cheerleader.

Which of course means that they're talking on the phone while being about eight feet away from each other :v:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I just got Animal Crossing New Leaf for Christmas, so I'm only just now starting to find all the little things. My favorite so far is that multiple villagers can join in on a conversation and if they're happy by the end of it, they'll do a little song. Adorable.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

The song they sing is also your town tune.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Also sometimes conversations between villagers will go poorly and they will stomp away all pissed off and refuse to talk to you.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
The best part of animal crossing was always hitting villagers with the bug catching net until they started yelling at you

And then you'd keep doing it

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ArtIsResistance posted:

The best part of animal crossing was always hitting villagers with the bug catching net until they started yelling at you

And then you'd keep doing it

Digging a ring of holes around villagers to trap them was also pretty fun.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Burying a pitfall in front of them so that they fall in and get pissed is my favorite.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know if it works in the newer Animal Crossings (I learned this in the DS version), but try holding the fishing rod (or any tool really) and using the Clap emote. Your Villager will look like he's furiously wanking due to only his empty hand actually clapping (while smiling gleefully as he does so), and you still get the full clapping sound effect to make it perfect :allears:.

It's me, I'm the childish one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

You are all bad Mayors.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

You are all bad Mayors.
You're only mayor in New Leaf. Any other game, you're under no obligation not to be an rear end in a top hat.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Esroc posted:

If you didn't tell Ulfric to gently caress off and massacre as many Stormcloaks as possible right out of the gate then you aren't playing the game right. :colbert:

Look at this bad opinion from an elf's lapdog. I guess you forget who decided missing paperwork merits a summary death sentence. :colbert:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Look at this bad opinion from an elf's lapdog. I guess you forget who decided missing paperwork merits a summary death sentence. :colbert:

Even if you go Imperial, you have to side with Raylof at the beginning for two reasons:

1: Raylof is a total bro.

2: You get to stab that captain in the face.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Nth Doctor posted:

That was only one corrupt Imperial and she got her comeuppance, the rest are all reasonable fellows. And the Empire is just biding their time until they have the strength to kick the Aldmeri Dominion's teeth in. The Stormcloaks are a bunch of racist shitbags attempting to destabilize an entire section of the continent just so the admitted murderer Ulfric can wear a bigger hat. Not to mention they're too stupid and shortsighted to realize that without the Empire the High Elves would just steamroll right over them.

I hate that Star Wars has entered into the public consciousness that the scrappy rebels are always the good guys. The Stormcloaks are terrible no matter how you slice it. The Aldmeri are the bad guys trying to take over the world, The Empire are the good guys trying to keep the peace, and the Stormcloaks are the bumbling halfwits taking advantage of the situation. They're the guys who pull you out of a burning building and then steal your wallet.

But this debate doesn't belong in this thread, so for now I rest my case. :colbert:

Esroc has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jan 1, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still wish they did more with the Thalmor. They were a neat way to explore and respond to TES' utterly insane cosmology, a cosmology that they clearly wanted to actually explore in Skyrim given how much focus they put on the Elder Scrolls themselves, the dwarves, and the Dragon Breaks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that once you get your hands on the titular Elder Scroll you can pull it out and use it at any time before its plot moment to instantly flashbang yourself :shobon:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear the first time you do that an orchestra begins to swell before abruptly cutting out when you get flashed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The priests who study the Elder Scrolls all go blind over time. I like to think that's because they open them, very quickly read the scroll before it flashbangs, then repeating that hundreds of times for each scroll.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kavak posted:

The priests who study the Elder Scrolls all go blind over time. I like to think that's because they open them, very quickly read the scroll before it flashbangs, then repeating that hundreds of times for each scroll.

Actually the Moth Priests train for years before even going near the damned things, just so they can read bits of it instead of getting the whole scroll flashbanged into their brain at once. And even then, if they're very lucky, they won't go blind after their first reading. Some of them get long careers of reading the Scrolls, other just go blind after a few looks because it's completely random.

I suspect the training involves learning to blink really quickly to get safe glimpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if the aviators I modded in are lore-friendly.

I heard you can get that effect if you use the boots of blinding speed in Morrowind with a high magic resistance.