Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its definitely easier to get good quality sound with headphones compared to other for X amount of money for sure

they are restrictive though

on a note about something else
http://rodtronics.itch.io/rodrocket
I publihsed my game. as a prototype. i wonder if this will amount to anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone paid $6 for my game! jfc I a over the fuckin moon!!! I'm also getting notifications every few hours of new followers on twitter and tumblr regarding rodtronics it's amazing. 7 people have downloaded it. just a shame that site had no built in feedback system

I am officially a game developr

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

I am officially a game developr

:rip:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
time to add iaps and then sell it to zynga for 50 billion dollars

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wild EEPROM posted:

time to add iaps and then sell it to zynga for 50 billion dollars

if this comes about i say take the money and run

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god I wish sellin out is the mother fucken dream

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

echinopsis posted:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you have to be as terrible as notch though. something to consider

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

just do what notch does
provide unsolicited comments, wear a fedora, sperg about mechanical keyboards,

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

you have to be as terrible as notch though. something to consider

I could fake it till I got the motherlode of cash

Wild EEPROM posted:

just do what notch does
provide unsolicited comments, wear a fedora, sperg about mechanical keyboards,

would I have to post of reddit

my true shame is that I post screenshots of my game to r/low_poly :qq:

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

the tm1638 owns. 8 7-segs + leds + buttons for 3 gpios, uses an spi-style protocol, easy to set up

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i should pick one of those up instead of just having a whole display and timer circuit on a breadboard

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Luigi Thirty posted:

i should pick one of those up instead of just having a whole display and timer circuit on a breadboard

do that, they're really cheap. you can daisy chain 5-6 of them as well

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay, combination big red button and cool vessel status panel

it transmits vessel status, orbit statistics, etc over serial and receives analog thrust controls and digital inputs for separation, abort, etc. here's a display someone built using the plugin/AVR program.

on the other hand this guy is making a project mercury-style all-analog control panel

enotnert posted:

yeah, i was a bit insane. . . my high school show car was this

My daily driver was an 86 caprice estate station wagon that I had 3 Orion XTRPros 10" DVC in a sealed enclosure in being pushed by a 1200 watt BMF amp from crossfire I think
these are both so dumb and so awesome

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
another month another receipt from unreal for my subscription I have not used at all :smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo bro I have a feeling uou got it because of me? I'm so sorry for wasting you dollar
cancel sub u can still use it after

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
nah it's good to have a hard physical reminder that I should be doing things

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

if only i could remove my corporeal existence as a factor in the listening experience, then i would know true audio clarity

Beats by Dr Dre.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

imagine what life would be like if you had discipline? I bet that poo poo would be CRAzY

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i also subscribe to unreal but every project i started made me want to do something more advanced with the stuff i learned, and after a while i got lost in making python scripts for blender. maybe i'll actually make something soon enough. on the plus side, they improve the engine every month so when i actually do it's going to be great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Programmer Humor posted:

i also subscribe to unreal but every project i started made me want to do something more advanced with the stuff i learned, and after a while i got lost in making python scripts for blender. maybe i'll actually make something soon enough. on the plus side, they improve the engine every month so when i actually do it's going to be great

get stuck in mother fucker! post your results

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BONGHITZ posted:

imagine what life would be like if you had discipline? I bet that poo poo would be CRAzY

Dude are you high? You're not even making sense right now

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vlad the Retailer posted:

the tm1638 owns. 8 7-segs + leds + buttons for 3 gpios, uses an spi-style protocol, easy to set up

whoa that's a pretty neat chip; normally i'd think about a cpld or something for that. 8 digits off one driver ic?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

movax posted:

whoa that's a pretty neat chip; normally i'd think about a cpld or something for that. 8 digits off one driver ic?

yeah. i haven't seen the IC itself for sale anywhere except aliexpress, though, just the modules

ended up using mine to build a chess clock

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

its definitely easier to get good quality sound with headphones compared to other for X amount of money for sure

yeah if you have like $100 then you'll get better audio quality out of headphones than you will out of a $100 speaker system. headphones stop getting much better pretty soon though, and speakers are barely getting started. plus with headphones you dont need to worry about stuff like the acoustics of the room you're sitting in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

headphones headown

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sorta xpost for exposure: do you guys see any reason why, if i'm wanting to do a slow speed CW (like 0.3 WPM) beacon on 13.560 with 5 mW of power, why I shouldn't just buy one of those Chinese DDS boards and toggle it

it seems to be the easiest way

maybe some sort of buffer amp to take whatever it shits out to 50 ohms?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

if you're gonna make a yosbox, you better go all the way

http://youtu.be/NAlSPCYeXo4

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

sorta xpost for exposure: do you guys see any reason why, if i'm wanting to do a slow speed CW (like 0.3 WPM) beacon on 13.560 with 5 mW of power, why I shouldn't just buy one of those Chinese DDS boards and toggle it

it seems to be the easiest way

maybe some sort of buffer amp to take whatever it shits out to 50 ohms?

i have a chinese DDS board with an ADI chip and a display and stuff, it's alright up to around 20 MHz but you'd want a low pass filter as a minimum

i see they sell arduino shields and stuff now that makes it even easier to interface, it's probably the easiest way to make a QRP transmitter, and you could use a high speed opamp to tune output power and provide a stable drive (to ensure compliance with regulations while maintaining the highest output power you'd want to prevent the kind of drift found in simpler amplifiers)

OPA847 or similar should have no problem driving a 50 ohm load to a few tens of mW

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 4, 2015

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

if you're gonna make a yosbox, you better go all the way

http://youtu.be/NAlSPCYeXo4
what the gently caress

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

a sad existence

david hewlett writes low-budget horror movies nobody watches and makes youtube videos every week that nobody watches

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

a sad existence

david hewlett writes low-budget horror movies nobody watches and makes youtube videos every week that nobody watches

less sad than being on stargate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bleh the robotics competition game this year is kinda lame. no fighting between teams, no defensive strategies, no interaction between teams at all really. just stacking boxes.

also the scoring and gameplay looks totally fuckin incomprehensible. last year's game was nice because you could explain it as "basketball with three nets", this, i have no clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyCIYZQ_1s

derp

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the best robotics competition was that japanese one for people who didn't know how to make robots.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

the best robotics competition was that japanese one for people who didn't know how to make robots.

the ASIMO?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no the one posted a few pages back where one girl left hers on the train and instead of getting it back went to get a beer and sent the picture to the event organizers

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

bleh the robotics competition game this year is kinda lame. no fighting between teams, no defensive strategies, no interaction between teams at all really. just stacking boxes.

also the scoring and gameplay looks totally fuckin incomprehensible. last year's game was nice because you could explain it as "basketball with three nets", this, i have no clue

derp

despite their attempt at production value they are using a 360 degree shutter and the editing is really poor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyCIYZQ_1s&t=46s

im imagining amazon recruiters watching this competition with sweaty anticipation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

derp

eh, i think it's pretty cool. scoring's just "make a big stack of boxes with this trash can thing on top". also they changed the sizing rules so now someone can finally make the hypothetical field-sized robot. most importantly the students are excited about it, so who cares what i think.

it's always funny when FIRST screws with the established veteran teams by changing some fundamental part of robot design. last time was in 2009 where they made everyone use the same slippery plastic wheels, thereby invalidating the work of every team developing mecanum/any drive system relying on nonstandard wheels.