Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

realtalk i know that...man, this is hard to say...i know that hannibal is a good show that i just happen to rabidly hate, i'm just legit surprised that it toppled fargo since like, at least from what i've anecdotally heard about hannibal s2 it doesn't measure up to fargo, at all

I saw Fargo when I was young and didn't like it so the idea of the TV show didn't really interest me. I'm going to watch the movie again this weekend and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The problem is not enough people saw Fargo. This fact is the hugest disappointment of 2014.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I told you guys that Agents of Shield was good :colbert:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Ravane posted:

^^^ Well, I suppose now is a good time as any.

I've always wanted to see a giant lizard concertante.

When you are the only one to vote for your show, the least I can do is spell it wrong!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

The problem is that I'm not going to wait 17 episodes for a show to get good.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yay, I'm gonna hang my no prize on my wall!

Thanks for doing this again, Occ and Sophia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

You can't blame me for thinking it sucked when it sucked for like 15 episodes.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Ravane posted:

The problem is that I'm not going to wait 17 episodes for a show to get good.

Do what I did, skip a bunch of the early episodes. You'll be a LITTLE confused, sure, and probably miss out on some valuable character development, but whatever.
watch the pilot, the seventh episode (only because nothing will make any sense if you don't, it's not particularly good), and then start in earnest from the episode called TRACKS, which is actually fun, somehow.
Question: do you like Bill Paxton? Because he shows up...I want to say the episode after TRACKS, maybe? and from there he's in most of them and he chews scenery like nobody's business.
and everyone's excited about the current season because Kyle Maclachlan is atomizing the scenery with his crazy character. Also a main character finally got superpowers.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
How close was You're The Worst to Rick and Morty? I ask this as a fan of both shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regardless of final positions, can we all agree that the Dumb Starbucks episode of Nathan For You was the best single episode of comedy this year, and definitely up amongst it for the last 10. The writing is incredible, ensuring that all the non-scripted elements of his narrative were all guided perfectly to an amazing conclusion. It should be used in any kind of comedy writing class as an example of what happens when everything absolutely comes together while being funny as all hell. And this was the year that Review aired too. Like, holy poo poo. All the Emmys for these two shows...

(what do you mean neither were nominated?)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The issue I had with Dumb Starbucks is that it went against the spirit of the show. Nathan didn't "help" a small business; he went and did his own thing. Anyone can make avant guarde art exhibits and get a lot of media attention, but that's not why I watch Nathan For You. I watch it to see Nathan propose ridiculous ideas to business owners, have them implement it, and then see how they and their customers react. Dumb Starbucks lacked all but the first element and thus I felt it was less interesting compared to bits like the home exorcist, or the masturbation cam. Don't get me wrong: its still good television, but in a Bansky way, not a Nathan way.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

How close was You're The Worst to Rick and Morty? I ask this as a fan of both shows.

7 points out.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApfonQG1MD5YdElHWlBGT05BeUtlR2gxN3BucVVSaVE&usp=sharing#gid=1

63 - 56 =? Halp, I can't do math.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Regardless of final positions, can we all agree that the Dumb Starbucks episode of Nathan For You was the best single episode of comedy this year, and definitely up amongst it for the last 10. The writing is incredible, ensuring that all the non-scripted elements of his narrative were all guided perfectly to an amazing conclusion. It should be used in any kind of comedy writing class as an example of what happens when everything absolutely comes together while being funny as all hell. And this was the year that Review aired too. Like, holy poo poo. All the Emmys for these two shows...

(what do you mean neither were nominated?)

It was good but there was a real "standout" moment that episode. I think Nathan's weight-loss method may have been my favourite scenario done in the series.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

To the people who can't get over Goons liking comic book shows, you realize that even TV critics have their biases, right? Or do you want to defend the position that Game of Thrones is the third best show on television?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least they recognize how good The Good Wife is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

19-23 is pretty funny. What did Veep do to get lumped in with that crap?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Other fun facts from the Hitfix poll:

-Louie also made the top 10 despite a very inconsistent season.

-Gotham, which is a far bigger pile of poo poo than Arrow or AoS could ever hope to be, came in 23rd.

-Sons of Anarchy, which by all accounts went out as one of the worst shows on television, outranks actually good shows like You're the Worst and Brooklyn 99.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

hcreight posted:

-Gotham, which is a far bigger pile of poo poo than Arrow or AoS could ever hope to be, came in 23rd.

They also put Gotham 8th on their list of Best New Shows :ughh:

Thought experiment: how many new shows can we all name that were better than Gotham? I can think of 11 just off the top of my head.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Creatively, I really liked season 4 of Louie. But I can see why people were completely turned off by pretty big change of format, tone, lack of humour after the first couple of episodes, since those were more akin to what you'd expect from S1-3, and then suddenly Louie decides he's gonna do something a little less (but still) absurd but serious.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

uublog posted:

They also put Gotham 8th on their list of Best New Shows :ughh:

Oi! Master Gotham! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
What kind of loving person do you have to be to put Gotham on your list of the ten best shows of 2014?

This lady, perhaps?

Honestly believing that Gotham was the single-best show of the year is unbelievably dumb, but don't let that keep you from noticing Tyrant at #4!

e: her overall top 5 is Gotham, GoT, Fargo, Tyrant, True Detective. Her new top 5 is Gotham, Outlander, True Detective, Fargo, Tyrant. :wtc:

uublog fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 2, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sober posted:

Creatively, I really liked season 4 of Louie. But I can see why people were completely turned off by pretty big change of format, tone, lack of humour after the first couple of episodes, since those were more akin to what you'd expect from S1-3, and then suddenly Louie decides he's gonna do something a little less (but still) absurd but serious.

This season had some great individual episodes (Into the Woods is one of the best episodes of the series IMO), I just found it inconsistent. I don't know what CK was thinking with the "You can't even rape well!" episode.

uublog posted:

What kind of loving person do you have to be to put Gotham on your list of the ten best shows of 2014?

This lady, perhaps?

Honestly believing that Gotham was the single-best show of the year is unbelievably dumb, but don't let that keep you from noticing Tyrant at #4!

And this is someone paid to have opinions about TV...

hcreight fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

At least they recognize how good The Good Wife is.

Yeah. I mean, there's no real excuse for Agents of SHIELD being higher ranked than The Good Wife other than this forum being composed almost entirely of manchildren.

although Sherlock having 38 points is aggravating given that it was decidedly ungood.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

hcreight posted:

To the people who can't get over Goons liking comic book shows, you realize that even TV critics have their biases, right? Or do you want to defend the position that Game of Thrones is the third best show on television?

Of course not.

It should be number one.

:colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Louie season 4 was loving amazing and Pamela pt 1 was one of the bravest TV episodes in recent years. But yes, I guess it is an interesting fact that critics rated it highly even though SA forums member hcreight thought it was inconsistent.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

erm

I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but they all probably think Arrow and Flash were two of the best shows of the year too

;)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Bown posted:

Yeah but they all probably think Arrow and Flash were two of the best shows of the year too

;)

Most of the "good shows" I ended up missing because which explains my list. Starting Fargo tonight

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Some day you'll love CW shows just like the rest of us.

SOME DAY

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

uublog posted:

This lady, perhaps?

e: her overall top 5 is Gotham, GoT, Fargo, Tyrant, True Detective. Her new top 5 is Gotham, Outlander, True Detective, Fargo, Tyrant. :wtc:

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but isn't this all more like "these are the shows I enjoyed the most this year" and not "these are objectively the *best* shows on tv this year" because there's really nothing wrong with enjoying the poo poo out of Gotham even though it's objectively pretty bad.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

IRQ posted:

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but isn't this all more like "these are the shows I enjoyed the most this year" and not "these are objectively the *best* shows on tv this year" because there's really nothing wrong with enjoying the poo poo out of Gotham even though it's objectively pretty bad.

That's entirely possible. Though I still don't understand why she would "enjoy" Fargo more than True Detective on one list but "enjoy" True Detective more than Fargo on the other.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

I heard nothing but bad things for Tyrant, but again, different people have different criteria for what they consider what they thought was "best" this year. It doesn't have to be "perfection and nothing less" or "best written" or anything. Casual TV viewers will probably have much different lists, likely of stuff they enjoyed watching or also engaging in (e.g. discussions, liveposting/tweeting experience) that made it memorable, or just were plain fun to watch that it was appointment viewing for them.

Critics though are generally more likely to value stuff like strong characterization, brisk plotting, etc.

Personally my list was a mix of stuff I really enjoyed watching on a per-week basis mixed with things that resonated with me creatively, that even if I did not maybe enjoy or relate to on a deep-to-my-core level, I genuinely loved that either an auteur or writing room as a collective decided to do something in a show that was creatively interesting.

I mean, I'm not demanding people have to qualify their choices or anything, but it would be interesting to see why people pick certain things. Actual critics generally leave reasons why (~a paragraph) whereas I'm sure at the other end, internet polls don't let you do that, and systems like these, those are entirely voluntary and up to the poster to either or not elucidate their opinion, or ultimately up to someone else just asking, "why"?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

IRQ posted:

But Gotham really wasn't enjoyable?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pillowpants posted:

Are there any good looking guys worth squeeing about in Gotham? She seems like the catlady type.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillowpants posted:

I enjoyed it.

It's not a good show, and It's not even in my top 20, but I enjoyed it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

I heard nothing but bad things for Tyrant, but again, different people have different criteria for what they consider what they thought was "best" this year.

People really wanted to like Tyrant, it had SO much working for it. But there were a handful of things working against it in a big way. I still really liked it. It's well worth the effort to watch it on a binge, it makes more sense.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Are there any good looking guys worth squeeing about in Gotham? She seems like the catlady type.

I dunno, the guy that plays the Penguin totally seems like someone the Hiddleston/Cumberbatch fan clubs would be way into.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sober posted:

I heard nothing but bad things for Tyrant, but again, different people have different criteria for what they consider what they thought was "best" this year. It doesn't have to be "perfection and nothing less" or "best written" or anything. Casual TV viewers will probably have much different lists, likely of stuff they enjoyed watching or also engaging in (e.g. discussions, liveposting/tweeting experience) that made it memorable, or just were plain fun to watch that it was appointment viewing for them.

Critics though are generally more likely to value stuff like strong characterization, brisk plotting, etc.

Personally my list was a mix of stuff I really enjoyed watching on a per-week basis mixed with things that resonated with me creatively, that even if I did not maybe enjoy or relate to on a deep-to-my-core level, I genuinely loved that either an auteur or writing room as a collective decided to do something in a show that was creatively interesting.

I mean, I'm not demanding people have to qualify their choices or anything, but it would be interesting to see why people pick certain things. Actual critics generally leave reasons why (~a paragraph) whereas I'm sure at the other end, internet polls don't let you do that, and systems like these, those are entirely voluntary and up to the poster to either or not elucidate their opinion, or ultimately up to someone else just asking, "why"?

I think my list was a combination of the following three criteria, listed in order of weight:

- I remember really enjoying it while watching it
- It stuck with me
- I can appreciate it for what it's trying to do (i.e. well written, well acted, well directed, etc)

But yeah, it's interesting how people justify making their lists and how the "best" rated show for one person may not be the "best" rated show for another. But I can say one thing: this thread has caused me to start watching Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

hcreight posted:

-Sons of Anarchy, which by all accounts went out as one of the worst shows on television, outranks actually good shows like You're the Worst and Brooklyn 99.

I immediately disregarded that list as soon as I saw how highly ranked SoA was. The season was bloated beyond belief and that finale wasn't just bad, it was embarrassing.

• Locked thread