Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's always funny seeing people play a Telltale game for the first time and watching them act shocked at how little your decisions matter in regards to how the story pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

It's always funny seeing people play a Telltale game for the first time and watching them act shocked at how little your decisions matter in regards to how the story pans out.

The Walking Dead season 1 pulled it off by being good enough that it made you actually care about the characters and the way your decisions shaped their personalities. It just doesn't work when the writing is lovely.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I know people have said this game requires more knowledge of the source than Telltale's other games. Do you think I would be OK jumping into this game if I've only seen the first season of the show? I have read the first four books, although it's been awhile (and I know they don't line up with the show exactly).

I'm not too worried about spoilers, I just don't want to be completely lost if I haven't seen the latest seasons. I'm holding off on watching them so that my wife and I can watch them together when she's not busy with school, but I much prefer playing Telltale's games as they're released episodically instead of all at once when they're done.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The plot of the series moves pretty loving rapidly so you might not pick up on the right subtext from some of the series characters.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

I know people have said this game requires more knowledge of the source than Telltale's other games. Do you think I would be OK jumping into this game if I've only seen the first season of the show? I have read the first four books, although it's been awhile (and I know they don't line up with the show exactly).

I'm not too worried about spoilers, I just don't want to be completely lost if I haven't seen the latest seasons. I'm holding off on watching them so that my wife and I can watch them together when she's not busy with school, but I much prefer playing Telltale's games as they're released episodically instead of all at once when they're done.
I don't think you'd be completely lost, but you'd probably be fairly confused. The events occurring in the world are way different from the first season, and the characters from the show are all at different stages in their respective character arcs. I'd recommend watching more of the show first.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'd recommend watching the show first. There's a MASSIVE spoiler in the very first episode for something that happens near the end of Season 3 in the show, and going forward it's likely events from Season 4 are going to play out during the course of the game. You'll either be completely lost, or missing key details so the importance of events doesn't sink in until you get around to watching the show, which can get pretty confusing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hannibal Smith posted:

You'll be fine since you have read the books.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my god that ending. Like, I thought this game sucked and was regretting my purchase despite being the hugest Telltale fanboy, but holy crap they loving stuck the landing.

Also I can't get over the horrible graphics and the horrible animations. Which is weird, because I thought Wolf and TWD2 looked pretty drat amazing. I even tried dicking around with hardware options to fix the aliasing but it didn't help. I love the environments, but it is super loving weird when things randomly drop their painterly effect for no reason. The stop-go animations are just hilarious by this point. Once you notice them it's impossible not to see and also it is impossible to have any sort of drama going on with what the marionette is doing. And oh my god the loving opening animation. Why would they do that why did they think that looked good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird, because I've played the walking dead, wolf among us, and tales from the borderlands and the ONLY times they animations bothered me were with Game of thrones. I don't know if they were markedly worse or whatever, but it did stick out.

I do adore the art style though, the whole matte painting shot of King's Landing really was gorgeous.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Elman posted:

The Walking Dead season 1 pulled it off by being good enough that it made you actually care about the characters and the way your decisions shaped their personalities. It just doesn't work when the writing is lovely.

Borderlands pulled it off by being loving hilarious.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

kater posted:

Oh my god that ending. Like, I thought this game sucked and was regretting my purchase despite being the hugest Telltale fanboy, but holy crap they loving stuck the landing.

Also I can't get over the horrible graphics and the horrible animations. Which is weird, because I thought Wolf and TWD2 looked pretty drat amazing. I even tried dicking around with hardware options to fix the aliasing but it didn't help. I love the environments, but it is super loving weird when things randomly drop their painterly effect for no reason. The stop-go animations are just hilarious by this point. Once you notice them it's impossible not to see and also it is impossible to have any sort of drama going on with what the marionette is doing. And oh my god the loving opening animation. Why would they do that why did they think that looked good.

They animated the opening because they want to do it like the show where each episode's intro will zoom in on the territories that will be visited during that episode, and also sometimes altering the map to show catastrophic events like Winterfell burning.

It does look hilariously bad, though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'd recommend watching the show first. There's a MASSIVE spoiler in the very first episode for something that happens near the end of Season 3 in the show, and going forward it's likely events from Season 4 are going to play out during the course of the game. You'll either be completely lost, or missing key details so the importance of events doesn't sink in until you get around to watching the show, which can get pretty confusing.

This game is very odd and risky in the way that it pretty much demands you have watched up to Season 4. You won't care about specific characters, the politics will sound like technobabble, and you will have not a single flying gently caress of an idea what is going in the greater universe.

However, if you have watched the show up to that point, I highly recommend it. I was disappointed for the first 10-15 minutes, because I thought there character felt more cliche fantasy than Game of Thrones and I don't like action QTEs all that much unless done super well. But then I realized he's pretty much this series Jon Snow, and the other characters are actually really interesting. It was firing on every single cylinder by the end of the episode and I think they'll keep that momentum up from there on.

Also opening the game on the single most famous moment of the show from the 3rd season was awesome.

ED: Oh yeah. The reason the fact choices end up similar no matter what doesn't bother me is Telltale always does a great job with context. Choices do often change the context of things. That's why half the people think Kenny is a massive rear end in a top hat in Walking Dead season 1, and half the people think he was a best bro. None of his major events changed; all the same notes would be hit one way or another, but the tune sounds entirely different, if that makes sense. It's almost like looking at the same movie by a different director. Or you can picture it like that time travel cliche of time "fixing itself" more or less.

Either way, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes the fact a conversation can go wildly in a different direction in one scene, leading to you thinking differently of them when it matters later on on another decision, makes the game feel very different.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 25, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really doubt someone who's read the books will feel even remotely lost playing the game, even with the differences between the show and the books.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really doubt someone who's read the books will feel even remotely lost playing the game, even with the differences between the show and the books.

Great point. I should have said "or the books." They can totally pick right up if they don't mind the show's aesthetics.

The only reason I didn't mention them is I think that the number of people who have read the books and refuse to watch the show are approximately 2.

ED: And if for some reason you DO hate the show but love the books? Steer clear anyway because this is very, very clearly using the show's changes front and center.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 25, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But those endings all spun off of two choices twenty minutes before the end, and nothing you did before that point matters.

TellTale games are all all about the choice you make "in the moment" and the consequences of those choices are typically prewritten into the story, ie regardless of the choice you make the results are the same. Take the whole ending of this episode, the difference between meeting Ramsey at the gates with all of your men suited up ready to fight and welcoming him into the hall with bowed knee right off the bat is nil, you're still getting shanked.

For most people it's fine, good even, when you're "in the moment" and have to make a split second decision with a ticking clock counting down, even the smallest choices feel big that way. It's an interesting way to make narrative into gameplay and it works really well, people naturally panic under time limits and not knowing the consequences of any choice you make just adds to the tension. For a purely story driven game, this is a system that works way better than any other attempt I've seen.

But the second someone replays the episode to see what those consequences are, and the curtain is pulled back and the answer is "dick all", for almost everyone their response is "well then what was the loving point?!" Because every decision feels important, having the lie revealed and the illusion of choice shattered makes the gameplay feel worse, turns the ticking clock into an annoyance rather than than a tension builder, and makes the choices less rewarding.

It's exactly the same as figuring out how a magicians card trick works, the magic's gone when you know the mechanics behind how it works, and since the gameplay itself is reliant on you not knowing how it works, that makes the game less fun to play through.

The way I look at it is this.

Say a friend of yours named John Doe is going to get beat up tomorrow at 4:00PM, or 8:00PM. This is a fate of the universe, it cannot be changed.

John Doe might get beat up trying to help someone being mugged at 4:00PM. John Doe might get beat up attempting to mug someone at 8:00PM. Maybe he himself is mugged at 8:00PM, because he came out to give you a ride.

All three of these things kind of tell different stories. But the point remains, he will be beaten, and it will be at one of those times for that has to happen.

That, in a nutshell, is how I view these games and why I like them while fully realizing the limitations.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 25, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I unironically thought the opening map credit sequence was great fyi

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It is fascinating that Telltale decided to make this one so inaccessible. I don't give a flying drat about Borderlands, and in fact actively dislike the series, but Tales from Borderlands totally works on its own. Same with the walking dead, and doubly true with Fables.

But I'm not sure how you would even attempt to make a game set in the game of thrones' world that is accessible to newcomers.

The Forresters are basically a version of the Starks I get to exercise some control over how they react to the world - I'm totally cool with that setup.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Narcissus1916 posted:

But I'm not sure how you would even attempt to make a game set in the game of thrones' world that is accessible to newcomers.

Cover the war that happened before the books began. The one that drove the Targaryens out of Kings Landing and put Robert Baratheon on the Iron Throne.

There's a whole lot of cool poo poo they could have done with that and I'm assuming the only reason they didn't is because there's still some hidden history that has yet to be revealed in the books or show yet, or some other legal technicalities like needing to negotiate contracts for the prequel books rather than the main series, are preventing TellTale from using that material, while stuff that's directly tied into the show is a bit easier to fuss out the rights to.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think that particular war is any more accessible than the others. It only sounds like the beginning of the story because most of the characters in the books and show are old enough to remember that war so as far as they're concerned it's like the dawn of history. One of the big themes of the series is that the game keeps going and only the players change.

That being said, picking the tail end of Robb's campaign is a pretty messy point to start from, compared to where the series starts. I'm pretty sure the actual reason they went with this time period is because it ties into the season of the show that just aired and the game is meant to help hype the show up. If the game succeeds they can release a new season of it after the next season of the show and keep doing that every year until the show ends.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Something like 18 million people in the US alone watched this season of Game of Thrones, I'm pretty sure making this accessible to people who've never seen the show was not on their minds at all.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think it was a great setup for further episodes. We will get to play an axe-wielding maniac who was exiled for murder

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Telltale said in several interviews that they discussed doing Robert's Rebellion, but ultimately felt like it was George's story to tell. Maybe that's a cop out, but I can understand not wanting to step on his toes.

Plus, I'm not really sure that Game of Thrones is Game of Thrones without the current day setting. Walking Dead is zombies, and maybe the southern setting matters a bit (though the spinoff tv show is aiming differently).

And while I'm not the sort of game of thrones casual fan who trills "YAY TYRION" whenever he appears, I very much associate GoT with the civil war.

I have a bunch of hardcore GoT book fans who wanted a game set in the other continents and lands - and that's frankly batshit bugnuts insane.

That'd be like doing a Batman story without a Batman. Oh, wait...

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

So, just curious; I bought this on Xbox One last night, and holy poo poo, does anyone else think the game looks like molten rear end? I've tried searching around, but all I can ever find is vague references to an "oil-painting art style". But throughout my entire playthrough of this episode, literally everything that isn't characters placed directly in the foreground of a scene is horribly jagged and pixelated. The King's Landing bits were definitely the worst, for some reason- especially Margaery's room . It's so prominent that if I were playing it on a PC, I would seriously be concerned that it was my graphics card gasping for the sweet release of death. Is it possible that my download hosed up somehow, and that a reinstall might correct this? Or is this just how the game looks?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just finished the first episode.

The only things that bothered me really were people calling him Tyrion rather than The Imp, Margaery's handmaidens referring to people like Bronn as if they know who the gently caress that is, Margaery's scaly arms and tits and Tyrion sitting in on Cersei's audiences, which I don't think he ever did after ACOK.

As far as the new story content went, I thought they did a fine job. The comparison between the Forresters and the Starks is pretty clear, but it's not terrible or anything. They felt like a pretty believable 'House not appearing in this series' sort of thing. Maybe we'll get a series about House Beesbury next...

Oh and Telltale seriously needs to invest in a new engine or something. After four incredibly successful series in a row they must have some cash lying around. The jank gets jankier every time, and the edges of the characters look like blurry messes. Like they attempted to make the anti-aliasing look like a brushstroke effect.

E: Was just watching my brother playing Tales of Borderlands and that game looks a thousand times nicer on max settings. Get your priorities straight Telltale! Stop sniffing that sweet sweet Gearbox coke.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 28, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I get why the Forrester's are so similar to the Starks. They get to use character traits that are familiar but can kill anyone they want without messing with continuity or canon since the Forrester's are pretty irrelevant to the story at large but just important enough to rub elbows with the big players in the conflict. There is a strange lack of incest and rape for something GoT related though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not convinced that Ethan is actually dead...he hung on for a good long while after getting stabbed, and there's a complete lack of him in the NEP. I would think they'd show his funeral or burial or something...He could possibly recover, maybe popping back up in Episode 4 or 5 as a gamechanger.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nah, he's dead as a doornail. Knife directly through the throat of a boy? Plus everyone's talking like he's pretty plainly dead at the end there. If anyone's the mystery candidate for surviving, it's the eldest son Roderick - he was roughed up quite badly, complete with a horse falling on top of him, but he could survive crippled in a Frey dungeon and that'd make an interesting mid-season twist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

I'm not convinced that Ethan is actually dead...he hung on for a good long while after getting stabbed, and there's a complete lack of him in the NEP. I would think they'd show his funeral or burial or something...He could possibly recover, maybe popping back up in Episode 4 or 5 as a gamechanger.

Are you... unfamiliar with this world?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If Ethan does come back it will be with unnaturally blue eyes.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Or by a red priest, which the North is lacking in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Steve2911 posted:

Are you... unfamiliar with this world?

Oh trust me, I am; but death in the GoT universe tend to be really unambiguous, and this one had just enough ambiguity to make me question it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Oh trust me, I am; but death in the GoT universe tend to be really unambiguous, and this one had just enough ambiguity to make me question it.

Uh, no. No I'd say a knife through the throat is pretty drat unambiguous.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah I did not see what was ambiguous there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There was just a bit too much flailing and struggling and "fetch the maester"ing, and not enough dying for me to instantly accept it. I mean, he's probably dead, but its possible not.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The shock value of that being the ending to episode 1 is too important than for Telltale to backpedal on it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The angle of the strike looked like it went right up into his little skull, too. Boy's dead.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Roderick is the one who will end up alive, not ethan

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rob Stark is Alive

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The last book in the series will end with a dance party where everyone who has died turns out to be alive and well and everyone puts aside their differences and once the party is over they all ride into the sunset together on one horse with a special saddle designed by Tyrion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

NESguerilla posted:

Rob Stark is Alive

Ned saved him. Because Varys.

• Locked thread