Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Esroc posted:

That was only one corrupt Imperial and she got her comeuppance, the rest are all reasonable fellows. And the Empire is just biding their time until they have the strength to kick the Aldmeri Dominion's teeth in. The Stormcloaks are a bunch of racist shitbags attempting to destabilize an entire section of the continent just so the admitted murderer Ulfric can wear a bigger hat. Not to mention they're too stupid and shortsighted to realize that without the Empire the High Elves would just steamroll right over them.

I hate that Star Wars has entered into the public consciousness that the scrappy rebels are always the good guys. The Stormcloaks are terrible no matter how you slice it. The Aldmeri are the bad guys trying to take over the world, The Empire are the good guys trying to keep the peace, and the Stormcloaks are the bumbling halfwits taking advantage of the situation. They're the guys who pull you out of a burning building and then steal your wallet.

But this debate doesn't belong in this thread, so for now I rest my case. :colbert:

It never ceases to amuse me that some players unironically accept the Imperials as the good guys when the game literally dresses them up as Romans.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that some players unironically accept the Imperials as the good guys when the game literally dresses them up as Romans.

Cue "what have the romans ever done for us?" :v:

But I guess for most people it's less that the imperials are the designated pristine good guys, but just that they still end up looking fairly good next to Thalmor (who are basically the fantasy-gestapo) and the Stormcloaks (who are very fond of ethnic cleansing and segregation, in addition to being just plain old incompetent).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Being a werewolf in Morrowind was great because you ran fast as gently caress and could move even faster by bunny hopping everywhere. You could just bunny hop into a town, kill some random person, and jump away before anyone gets near you.

Also the confused dog growls when you try to use a door or something was a nice touch.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No nation is perfect. Look at all the atrocities the US committed. It's very much a "better then the alternative" scenario, but honestly, even then the game really does bend over backwards to portray the Imperials as the good guys, morally and practically.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Dunmer are the good guys. The Stormcloaks are shits to Dunmer. Ergo, the Imperials have at least something going for them.

Plus of course there's nothing wrong with an empire. :agesilaus:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

It really doesn't matter who you side with because in both cases at the end the leaders (yes even Tullius) tell you outright that the Thalmor are the real problem and another war is coming. I usually go Imperial because every Stormcloak NPC I meet is a moron and it kind of feels weird to join if I'm playing an elf or basically anything not Nord.

Parts Kit posted:

Being a werewolf in Morrowind was great because you ran fast as gently caress and could move even faster by bunny hopping everywhere. You could just bunny hop into a town, kill some random person, and jump away before anyone gets near you.

Also the confused dog growls when you try to use a door or something was a nice touch.

Being a werewolf in Skyrim is great if you're trying to cut down on fast travel. You can sprint really fast, your stamina lasts pretty much forever and with the perks they added in the DLC you can one-shot pretty much everything with a lunge attack.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

It really doesn't matter who you side with because in both cases at the end the leaders (yes even Tullius) tell you outright that the Thalmor are the real problem and another war is coming. I usually go Imperial because every Stormcloak NPC I meet is a moron and it kind of feels weird to join if I'm playing an elf or basically anything not Nord.

It kind of does matter since an independent Skyrim is going to have a much harder time fighting the next war with the Aldmeri Dominion than the Empire. What I really don't understand is why the treaty that ended the first war they fought (Where the two sides fought to exhaustion) basically ended with the Empire surrendering in humiliation, ceding religious sovereignty and a province (Which fought the Thalmor on their own for five years and drove them off, proving that they Dominion is nowhere near as strong as they claim to be). It'd be like the French army rallying in the Franco-Prussian war, liberating Paris and destroying the German army surrounding it, and then ceding Alsace-Lorraine anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Thalmor were probably more willing to not give up and turn it into mutually assured destruction unless the Imperials gave them incentives to drop it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It is amusing to think that the entire reason the Dragonborn sided with the Stormcloaks is because of that one douchy captain who was too lazy to file the proper paperwork.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kavak posted:

It kind of does matter since an independent Skyrim is going to have a much harder time fighting the next war with the Aldmeri Dominion than the Empire. What I really don't understand is why the treaty that ended the first war they fought (Where the two sides fought to exhaustion) basically ended with the Empire surrendering in humiliation, ceding religious sovereignty and a province (Which fought the Thalmor on their own for five years and drove them off, proving that they Dominion is nowhere near as strong as they claim to be). It'd be like the French army rallying in the Franco-Prussian war, liberating Paris and destroying the German army surrounding it, and then ceding Alsace-Lorraine anyway.

Didn't the Thalmor basically blitzkrieg the Imperial capital and hold it to ransom?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Didn't the Thalmor basically blitzkrieg the Imperial capital and hold it to ransom?

The imperials managed to retake the capital and wipe out the army guarding it. The only justification they give for the treaty is that the legions were exhausted- reason enough to sue for peace, but not on those terms.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The Thalmor were probably more willing to not give up and turn it into mutually assured destruction unless the Imperials gave them incentives to drop it.

I think there was also the issue that the Thalmor were fighting at two fronts at once (against the Redguards) and also needed enough troops to pacify the newly gained territories. While they probably would have been able to bring enough forces to bear to crush the Empire again, they would have needed to divert so many forces that their position everywhere else would have been dangerously weakened.

:spergin:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You could make the argument that Skyrim remaining with the Empire will only drag it down in the upcoming war. Hammerfell managed to split from the Empire and fight off the Thalmor, who's to say Skyrim can't link up with Hammerfell?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Canemacar posted:

You could make the argument that Skyrim remaining with the Empire will only drag it down in the upcoming war. Hammerfell managed to split from the Empire and fight off the Thalmor, who's to say Skyrim can't link up with Hammerfell?

You can't link up with those foreigners. They have curved swords. Curved...

Et cetera.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's the small thing I love about skyrim: the really huge picture that's going on outside of the game. I guess you can say the same for the other elder scrolls too.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Dragonborn probably won't show up ever again anyway, since you pretty much sell yourself to Hermaeous Mora for power, roll on Elder Scrolls 6 where you get to fight the corrupted Dragonborn though.

"But the Dragonborn is really powerful and beat Alduin!" Tell that to Mirrak, Mora doesn't give a gently caress. :v:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

The Dragonborn probably won't show up ever again anyway, since you pretty much sell yourself to Hermaeous Mora for power, roll on Elder Scrolls 6 where you get to fight the corrupted Dragonborn though.

Been there, done that. Dragonborn DLC.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

"But the Dragonborn is really powerful and beat Alduin!" Tell that to Mirrak, Mora doesn't give a gently caress. :v:

I'm the Dragon born. I've sold my soul to so many gods they're going to have to fight for me, I'm a huge get.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't know about the first two, but the Nerevarine conveniently disappeared in Akavir and the Hero of Kvatch (probably) became the next Sheogorath. So yeah it's pretty likely the Dragonborn won't show up except possibly in dialogue or something. That's kind of the problem with a game that lets the player character be whatever they want.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm the Dragon born. I've sold my soul to so many gods they're going to have to fight for me, I'm a huge get.

The ol' Constantine Gambit.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The latest bro (James Bond) added to broforce is just really good.

You can 3 different Bonds, Connery, Brosnan and I forget the last one. Rather than having multiples of the same special he has 4 different ones; a martini which he drinks and pretty much is just to look stylish, a short range jetpack that sets enemies on fire, the laser watch from goldeneye and a mask so for a short while enemies won't attack.

On top of this his default gun is silenced so you won't alert enemies unless actually seen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

(James Bond)

I think you mean Double Bro 7.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geokinesis posted:

The latest bro (James Bond) added to broforce is just really good.

You can 3 different Bonds, Connery, Brosnan and I forget the last one. Rather than having multiples of the same special he has 4 different ones; a martini which he drinks and pretty much is just to look stylish, a short range jetpack that sets enemies on fire, the laser watch from goldeneye and a mask so for a short while enemies won't attack.

On top of this his default gun is silenced so you won't alert enemies unless actually seen.

Connery had the jetpack, Brosnan had the laser watch so the martini is probably Daniel Craig. gently caress Moore, no one remembers Lazenby and Dalton needs to be included.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I still wish they did more with the Thalmor. They were a neat way to explore and respond to TES' utterly insane cosmology, a cosmology that they clearly wanted to actually explore in Skyrim given how much focus they put on the Elder Scrolls themselves, the dwarves, and the Dragon Breaks.

Instead they made them an entire race of sneering, unironic Draco Malfoy knockoffs :sigh:

Thalmor4lyfe, having the peaceful good guy empire in control of the known world (except the odd cult rebellion) was boring anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If you're not playing as a khajiit or argonian and stealing everything possible, from both factions, and eating all of the skooma in the land. Then you're playing skyrim wrong.

Now where's my black marsh expansion, Bethesda.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I fully expect we'll never get a game set in Black Marsh, Elsweyr, or Valenwood. Because then they couldn't get away with not putting in the crazier lore stuff, because that's all those areas are. It'd be even more glaring than the rear end pull reason they came up with for Cyrodiil not being tropical.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I fully expect we'll never get a game set in Black Marsh, Elsweyr, or Valenwood. Because then they couldn't get away with not putting in the crazier lore stuff, because that's all those areas are.

That goes for Morrowind, too, though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

Didn't Morrowind go to absolute poo poo after the events of the game? As far as I remember the big two were the volcano finally erupting and the slaves revolting and loving up everything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

These are probably the same people who bash Bethesda as lazy and uncreative because they themselves can't be bothered to actually read anything in game.

This page makes me sad because it illustrates that Skyrim was a great setting with tons of cool lore but the writing was panned because the game didn't have a morality system or complex dialogue choices or self-serious grimness.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

They at least kind of tried in Morrowind, before entirely going "gently caress it." I'm not that big a lore crazy, since I'm of the opinion that if you personally did not see it happen (you, as in your character) take it with a grain of salt as to veracity within the universe. And the large majority of the lore is already of questionable truth in universe (see: Just about anything from Kirkbride). But they've backed themselves into a corner with those three, by this point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They've got Valenwood in TESO, but they're noticeably dodging Elsweyr and Black Marsh.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't see how you could see the Imperials as anything but the "flawed good guys". Its like choosing between living in the Roman Empire or Nazi Germany, why would you not choose Rome?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What's wrong with the Romans? Awesome dudes.

THIRTEEN!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

These are probably the same people who bash Bethesda as lazy and uncreative because they themselves can't be bothered to actually read anything in game.

This page makes me sad because it illustrates that Skyrim was a great setting with tons of cool lore but the writing was panned because the game didn't have a morality system or complex dialogue choices or self-serious grimness.
The setting is good and the lore is good but all those existed before Skyrim and the actual writing which was new to Skyrim was 90% terrible

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kavak posted:

They've got Valenwood in TESO, but they're noticeably dodging Elsweyr and Black Marsh.

Is Valenwood filled with cannibalistic Bosmer who will put a higher bounty on you for picking herbs than killing someone? And do their cities reside in the boughs of giant ambulatory trees?

Morrowind was part of a series still obscure enough to get away with doing whatever the gently caress, which is why they let MK do whatever the gently caress his insane, drunk rear end wanted. And it was glorious. Sadly that very same game made the franchise a big enough concern that they're determined to play things safe. Skyrim wasn't so bad because the Norse setting was just about 'unusual' enough to be interesting and they had stuff that was both awesome and, in lore terms, crazy (Thu'um) so I personally like it quite a bit. Morrowind, on the other hand, is a game where you can meet a living God, decide he's full of poo poo, kill him, and go live with the velothi nomads hunting giant bugs.

Oblivion meanwhile was generic fantasy bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

None of the good writing in Skyrim was unique to Skyrim.

Bethesda is a company that keeps going "Just over that hill there's some crazy poo poo, maybe you can go over that hill in the next game???" and then making another mostly generic RPG.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Is Valenwood filled with cannibalistic Bosmer who will put a higher bounty on you for picking herbs than killing someone? And do their cities reside in the boughs of giant ambulatory trees?

It's like NotAfrica iirc. ESO is ALL generic fantasy bullshit.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Mister Adequate posted:

Valenwood is pretty nice looking in ESO, with a mix of dark jungle-esque space and open rivers. The walking cities aren't there though - they're off on another plane of Oblivion for whatever reason.

ESO has some interesting world spaces to tool around in, it's just a pity that the game itself is so goddamn flat and the player base is a ghost town.

Elder Scrolls VI: It's All About The Imga.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I honestly didn't like Skyrim, but I think they hit the right sort of setting for what they should be doing. They don't have the willingness and/or ability to pull another Morrowind, but they have the resources and backdrop to be able to paint some strange pictures. So go ahead, make the setting a generic fantasy of some kind, do that right, and then fill out the sidelines with stuff that's really nuts.

That's why I think Summerset both should and will be the next game. The setting is pretty easy, it's a tropical area populated by elves, that'll look great. The base story is pretty simple, too: Oblivion had 'fight hell', Skyrim was 'fight dragons', and the Thalmor would make Summerset a pretty clean-cut 'fight elf nazis'. So we've got an easy base setting, we've got an easy base story, we can go utterly insane with the smaller components, and side-stuff like DLC. Not only is that something Bethesda can do, it's an arguably stronger way to do that weirder stuff for the general audience. It's present enough to grab people like us who are really interested in it, and it creates a unique world for those who aren't aware of it, but it doesn't get in the way of someone who just isn't interested.

Plus, since Summerset's population is more magically-focused, they'd probably be inclined to make magic not terrible. That was really the worst part of Skyrim to me, it basically went 'gently caress you' to mages mechanically as hard as the game world did narratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I fully expect we'll never get a game set in Black Marsh, Elsweyr, or Valenwood. Because then they couldn't get away with not putting in the crazier lore stuff, because that's all those areas are. It'd be even more glaring than the rear end pull reason they came up with for Cyrodiil not being tropical.

I would love an expansion for akavir. Snow demon and vampire snake people and like plenty other insane stuff. That poo poo would be baller.