Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Samovar posted:

Edit edit: I'm pretty sure the 'lightsabre' is a rifle scope.
Yeah, looking at it, I thought the same; a back-up scope for different conditions, or in case of damage. High-precision optics are valuable to a sniper wanting to shoot from halfway across a city.

It is a shame Deadshot didn't do more fancy shooting this time, his sniping is practically pedestrian in level up until that banked shot off the shutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm 90% sure that the joke is that Penguin was cheating and even years later while recounting the story himself, Zsasz is still too dumb to have realized it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm 90% sure that the joke is that Penguin was cheating and even years later while recounting the story himself, Zsasz is still too dumb to have realized it.

When I played, I knew Penguin cheated, but I didn't realize that it was so blatant until now. Zsasz's creepy calls overrode that part of my brain that counts how many sixes are in a pack of cards.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

CuwiKhons posted:

:psyduck: I didn't realize it either. I guess Zaz's voice creeped me out too much to pay attention to that detail.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

When I played, I knew Penguin cheated, but I didn't realize that it was so blatant until now. Zsasz's creepy calls overrode that part of my brain that counts how many sixes are in a pack of cards.

my dad posted:

:psyduck: I didn't realize it either. I guess Zaz's voice creeped me out too much to pay attention to that detail.

Exactly. Losing to Penguin was such a devastating moment to Zsasz that even now he can only ever think back on it with a blinding fury that prevents him from ever thinking "wait, that is too many sixes." And he's so angry about it that amidst the shouting, even players miss it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Something else about that tape that interested me is how Zsasz talks about how his role as a serial killer is so pure and divine purpose or whatever, but he clearly doesn't believe that since he gets extremely upset when he recalls losing all of his money to Penguin and laments not being good at Poker.

Even Zsasz knows he's full of poo poo.

As a note, if you fail to scan Zsasz's phone calls during his rants, you can get up to two extra ones. At the end of the last one, Batman will just auto-discover his location for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_PwvT1H8Co

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks to this LP, I got myself this game for christmas, looking forward to giving it a try for myself. Slightly bummed that the 'free' Batman Inc. costume is now something you have to pay for though (dammit, Microsoft). Or I might just go straight into Origins and see some of the surprises for myself.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Deadshot is another one of those characters that the game... Really doesn't do much justice to. The only two references to Deadshot's style and character are... The shutter shot, and him throwing a hissy fit about missing, which were mentioned, but it's important to note how central these things are to the guy. He prides himself on being the deadliest sniper in the world, and takes stupid risks and trickshots just to make it interesting. One of the good examples is from his segment of Gotham Knight. He's on a Ferris Wheel, at least a couple of miles from the target. It's moving, and on. He waits until just the right moment, and not only shoots his target directly in the head without killing anybody else, he breaks the stem of a wine glass in two with the same shot. He even makes it clear that... That was his deliberate choice. Never mind how silly these factors are, if it hadn't been a passing waiter's tray, it would have been something equally crazy.

EDIT: As far as I'm aware, the Harley Quinn easter egg is specifically from looking at her trophy, and making sure you're at the right angle to see the pregnancy test. That's how it worked when I got it, anyhoo.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just want to know how Deadshot shot through a full water tower, to be honest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As a note, if you fail to scan Zsasz's phone calls during his rants, you can get up to two extra ones. At the end of the last one, Batman will just auto-discover his location for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_PwvT1H8Co

Jeez, that's news to me! This game continues to surprise.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for such a comprehensive LP scruffy. Sure there's a little bit more to go, but that was the bulk of it out of the way and soon it will be time to bail out.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

JamieTheD posted:

Deadshot is another one of those characters that the game... Really doesn't do much justice to. The only two references to Deadshot's style and character are... The shutter shot, and him throwing a hissy fit about missing, which were mentioned, but it's important to note how central these things are to the guy. He prides himself on being the deadliest sniper in the world, and takes stupid risks and trickshots just to make it interesting. One of the good examples is from his segment of Gotham Knight. He's on a Ferris Wheel, at least a couple of miles from the target. It's moving, and on. He waits until just the right moment, and not only shoots his target directly in the head without killing anybody else, he breaks the stem of a wine glass in two with the same shot. He even makes it clear that... That was his deliberate choice. Never mind how silly these factors are, if it hadn't been a passing waiter's tray, it would have been something equally crazy.

EDIT: As far as I'm aware, the Harley Quinn easter egg is specifically from looking at her trophy, and making sure you're at the right angle to see the pregnancy test. That's how it worked when I got it, anyhoo.

If you want a good example of Deadshot done right, check out the recent DC animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham. It's set in the Arkham universe (so it's cannon) and it's essentially a Suicide Squad movie with Batman attached for marketing reasons.

Deadshot must have been having a bad night during A:City, he's much more competent in the film.

Also, I could NEVER get the Harley Quinn thing. It must be something truly arbitrary.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Pretty sure in one of the previous phone calls Zsasz outright says "For some reason I thought I would win, that he would play fair."

I'd say he's more than aware that he was cheated in whatever game they were playing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The name of the Clock king in B:TAS was Tempus Fugate :v: And yes, he'd be amazing as a Zsazz style villain that forces batman to complete timed events that you have to take creative routes to beat.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I haven't been much of a DC/Marvel guy but this LP got me kinda interested in the characters and the backgrounds. Good LP Scruffy, though I don't care much for the riddler trophies so there isn't much to watch in the last few videos; I'm more interested in the Arkham story. I hope you'll get around LPing Origins soon :)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The name of the Clock king in B:TAS was Tempus Fugate :v: And yes, he'd be amazing as a Zsazz style villain that forces batman to complete timed events that you have to take creative routes to beat.

Time Flies? TIME FLIES? That's pretty blunt even for comic book character names foreshadowing their super villain names.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
At least it's Fugate and not Fugit, though I think he changes his name once he leaps gloriously off the deep end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, it could've been "Fuggit".

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Kurieg posted:

Close. Temple Fugate. But he would be amazing, if he was done right. Also he would annoy the hell out of me, because I hate doing things according to timing, and that guy is obsessed with it. Somewhat understandable, considering the B:TAS version of his origin (Mayor Hill told him to take five minutes extra as a break, and, due to a combination of his own OCD and a string of unfortunate events, he had the Bad Day that nearly every Batman villain does.)

mauman posted:

If you want a good example of Deadshot done right, check out the recent DC animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham. It's set in the Arkham universe (so it's cannon) and it's essentially a Suicide Squad movie with Batman attached for marketing reasons.

As to Assault on Arkham, I'm watching it right now, and... Already, I'm not overly impressed, but I'll admit that's because I never really liked Amanda Waller as a character, and ioioioi dubstep in an animation/film generally tends to get on my nerves. I'll still watch the whole thing, because it certainly seems like an interesting premise, but... I really don't like Amanda Waller. FAKE EDIT: And Harley Quinn is already setting my teeth grinding.

EDIT: Agreeing with Hobgoblin here, that felt like two different tickboxes being checked down, one for Grim Batman, one for Criminals Used As Black Ops Movie #53... Check... Check... Check...

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
In regards to that riddler trophy with six question marks, I found it much easier to place gels on the bottom three. The rooftop above the top three gives you the perfect angle to nail them quickly from the ledge. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Assault on Arkham was pretty mediocre to me, honestly, aside from Deadshot.

And even then, Deadshot is turned into a generic heist film protagonist.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, couple scattered thoughts:

Regarding hidden references in DC things, they actually snuck a bunch in to these games apparently, though most are REALLY subtle. Bunch of videos for Arkham City and single videos for all of them in Origins found here if folks are interested (spoilers galore, naturally). The Arkham Origins one was insane; I didn't even KNOW there were that many fictional companies that existed in DC lore already. Also has the Harley singing over the credits of New Game Plus easter egg shown; apparently it happens near the very end of the credits and is like a few seconds max?

I know what you mean about Arkham Asylum feeling downright empty compared to City and Origins thanks to no respawning. Granted, I didn't chalk that one up to "inmates taken into custody" so much as "all inmates broken and bleeding from Batman", and the difference certainly makes sense (small enclosed prison vs. giant city-sized prison and actual open city) but still it is terribly boring that way.

One thing if you take the cameras out prior to taking out Strange (i.e. when you're still getting those "camera out in sector X" messages) is there is a special message for wrecking all the cameras that's basically "all the cameras in Arkham City are out, we're blind in there". Not a big thing, but figured I'd mention it.

One thing I never noticed about the Deadshot sidequest until the video is that if you look carefully at the map screen that pops up after you find the last shot location (about 48:15 in the video), the assassinations are in fact loosely "centered" towards the correct building to check, like Deadshot was based out of said area and was ranging (no pun intended) from that location to do his shooting. Nice way to provide the clue to proceed faster if you're paying attention.

That guy jumping off the edge into the water happened for me too in a different location, I'm seriously thinking that's not a bug, it's the game having an inmate panic and jump into the water to get away. Very cute touch that.

You can indeed take that one area with Zsasz with careful line launcher direction flipping. It's more of a pain in the rear to do it that way, but you can get away with it, that's how I did it long before I even had the freeze blast. Though you do need the freeze raft trick for that one trophy around the corner, there are tow points you can use to reach close enough to Batclaw the thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Scruffy's finished all of the sidequests with villains and stuff, so here's the Game Over quotes.

Two-Face

Harley Quinn (Might have HQR Game Over quotes [I can't check due to video issues.], but they shouldn't be spoilerish.)

Mr. Zsasz

Poison Ivy

Penguin

Solomon Grundy

Black Mask

Ra's al Ghul

Mr. Freeze

Mad Hatter

Deadshot

Hugo Strange

The Joker + Clayface Joker

Clayface

The Riddler

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 2, 2015

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
It will be fun to see Deadshot kills Hush while thinking he is Bruce.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think Scruffy's finished all of the sidequests with villains and stuff, so here's the Game Over quotes. Spoiled one that I don't think has shown up yet.
Black Mask's shows up during that DLC campaign where you chase him onto a train, doesn't it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he's only in that Freight Train DLC pack that Robin came with.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Its weird to think why Hugo would use Deadshot like this though, telling him to kill Bruce before killing Batman which he knows would more than likely be impossible since Bruce is in the Batsuit already, and since Protocol 10's job would be to wipe out the prisoners, why need an assassin to take out a few? Unless Strange was setting up Deadshot to die in Arkham.

e: and there was that one issue of Gotham City sirens where Joker's midget sidekick came back to try and kill Harley for stealing his spot.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Unless Strange was setting up Deadshot to die in Arkham.

He was. That's why both Bruce and Batman are on the list. If Deadshot somehow miraculously succeeds at killing one of them, he'll stay in the city hunting fruitlessly for the other.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr Confetti posted:

In regards to that riddler trophy with six question marks, I found it much easier to place gels on the bottom three. The rooftop above the top three gives you the perfect angle to nail them quickly from the ledge. :v:

Yeah, that's very much how it was designed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

JamieTheD posted:

As to Assault on Arkham, I'm watching it right now, and... Already, I'm not overly impressed, but I'll admit that's because I never really liked Amanda Waller as a character, and ioioioi dubstep in an animation/film generally tends to get on my nerves. I'll still watch the whole thing, because it certainly seems like an interesting premise, but... I really don't like Amanda Waller. FAKE EDIT: And Harley Quinn is already setting my teeth grinding.

Amanda Waller is pretty awesome. She's just a huge bitch with a big government budget, and she's really great in Arrow, although I'm kind of annoyed they made her hot, she was traditionally depicted in the comics as kind of a pudgy lady and she felt more like a bureaucrat like that. Most pencil-pushing evil government people don't have supermodel figures.

Waller also kind of fits nicely into that "evil but not exactly evil" role that a lot of government types in DC play, and she's integral to the Suicide Squad, and the Suicide Squad is also baller.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Amanda Waller is pretty awesome. She's just a huge bitch with a big government budget, and she's really great in Arrow, although I'm kind of annoyed they made her hot, she was traditionally depicted in the comics as kind of a pudgy lady and she felt more like a bureaucrat like that. Most pencil-pushing evil government people don't have supermodel figures.

Waller also kind of fits nicely into that "evil but not exactly evil" role that a lot of government types in DC play, and she's integral to the Suicide Squad, and the Suicide Squad is also baller.

Pretty much why I liked Assault.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So what happens if you don't actively try to trace Zsasz's calls when you answer them?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So what happens if you don't actively try to trace Zsasz's calls when you answer them?

This guy sums it up nicely

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Ha, the one post of his I glazed over.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The character in the Incredibles who makes costumes, Edna, her no capes rule is a pretty direct homage to Dollar Bill and Watchmen. It's related to a long laundry list of cape-related deaths, including but not limited to people's capes getting stuck in the turbines of jets.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
It is funny because in some of the suit versions Batman's cape in the only armor he has. It is a kevlar weave with light weights at the bottom so that he can just drape his cape in front of himself an take a full drum from a tommy gun without getting hurt.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Batman using the cape to glide around is pretty recent, but it was a core concept from Bob Kane's original idea, who based his appearance on DaVinci's flying machine.

I'd say it was until Batman Returns/Begins that him using his cape to glide looked functional. Prior to that, he got around by using helicopters, auto-gyros, jets, the batmobile, and Bat-gliders. Until then, he just used it to break his falls a bit and to look more like a giant bat.

There was a short story about a two-bit criminal who was on route to Blackgate, telling the others how he planned this incredible heist, but Batman showed up, took down his mates and then... was beaten up badly by the criminal.

But his story falls apart once he gets out of the bus, sees a big bat shadow, and cowers screaming. It was just a regular bat, but his seat mate tells him he will make sure he never forgets about his earlier boasting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So this LP inspired me to go through and play this game again even though I hadn't in ages and one I noticed one nifty thing in the post-game: You can use all your DLC batsuits for Batman in the main game, but you never get to select Catwoman's. That is, unless you pick Animated Batman, in which case the game kindly does you a solid and loads up Animated Catwoman to complete the pair whenever you swap them out.

(Also this LP has shown me the glory of the Blade Dodge Takedown, a move I just never bothered to learn on my first playthough. My god it's just so easy.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TwoPair posted:

So this LP inspired me to go through and play this game again even though I hadn't in ages and one I noticed one nifty thing in the post-game: You can use all your DLC batsuits for Batman in the main game, but you never get to select Catwoman's. That is, unless you pick Animated Batman, in which case the game kindly does you a solid and loads up Animated Catwoman to complete the pair whenever you swap them out.

I really wish they'd do one of these games in the Animated Series style. The protagonist models look pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's been a great ride so far, and it's nice to see you complete the things I was never OCD enough to finish on my own.

One thing, though.

Clayface's "Info" link leads to his attributes section instead.

• Locked thread