Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bhester posted:

He was briefly referred to as a silverback.

and sexual chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Bobtista posted:

There's also black guys who commit crimes and black guys who are pimps and black guys who sleep with old white women. That's like 4 different black guy gimmicks right there, diversity central.

two of these gimmicks also involved dancing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well hey at least they've never given black guys a southern preacher gimmick with singing AND dancing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oldpainless posted:

A black man is the strongest man in the world so that's positive.

got knocked out in 2.3 seconds by a giant white man in St. Louis.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

two of these gimmicks also involved dancing

A dancing criminal black guy is an entirely separate gimmick from a dancing black guy and a criminal black guy.

It's diversity all the way down.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Has there ever been an Irish guy in WWE who's gimmick isn't "I like to fight" or "I am a leprechaun"

There's your real diversity problem.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Guy? No. But Becky Lynch has ditched the jigging and green tights and is now just a Lita rehash, which is... sort of better?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hornswoggle is 28 :stare:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bobtista posted:

Has there ever been an Irish guy in WWE who's gimmick isn't "I like to fight" or "I am a leprechaun"

There's your real diversity problem.

There's an Irish guy in WWE whose gimmick is that he wears armor made of sentient, bloodthirsty ooze from outer space.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pressedbunny posted:

Guy? No. But Becky Lynch has ditched the jigging and green tights and is now just a Lita rehash, which is... sort of better?

NXT is magic tho. Wasn't Big E Langston just a super-strong guy that pinned you for a 5-count there?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we just keep everyone in NXT until vince dies

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bhester posted:

So the fans are racists if they don't cheer for a black guy?
Well, I mean there is a reasonable argument in a vacuum that if fans don't get behind minority superstars than they're never encouraging the WWE to push them like a Daniel Bryan or CM Punk.

Of course that's in a vacuum. In reality we know Bryan and Punk are abnormalities and its quite possible fans don't get behind more wrestlers - white or otherwise - because they know there's not much point and WWE doesn't really listen. You can also safely argue that expecting fans to get behind an act like New Day when they've been given nothing to really get behind is unreasonable. Bryan and Punk chants came after WWE already half way committed to pushing them and then changed their minds. Fans today have probably learned to expect start-stop pushes and a lot of people doing nothing so rooting for Kofi, Cesaro, Sin Cara, or Darren Young are all pretty equally pointless.

I couldn't think of an Asian wrestler. Does WWE not have any Asian wrestlers right now? No wonder they signed KENTA.

pressedbunny posted:

Is it weird that I figured it was some kind of Dropkick Murphy's type of inspiration? Am I the racist?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Is it weird that I figured it was some kind of Dropkick Murphy's type of inspiration? Am I the racist?

Yes. I bet all those ginger freckled micks look the same too huh?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, her newest theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06uIM0bP25Q is very much a celtic-punk ripoff anyway (not as bad as it could have been tho). But she's always been "rocker chick" so the callback's fine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

But Dropkick Murphys suck and Becky Lynch doesn't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dias posted:

Nah, her newest theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06uIM0bP25Q is very much a celtic-punk ripoff anyway (not as bad as it could have been tho). But she's always been "rocker chick" so the callback's fine.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Its obviously not some kind of direct inspiration or ripoff (or at least not that I recognize) but "punk rock" didn't really seem like much of a groundbreaking cliche departure to me considering celtic punk rock is a big part of American Irish cliches/culture.

Its not like its racist or anything and I actually think it works but it doesn't seem like very outside the box thinking. Its like they started her with the Riverdance thing, someone said "that's ridiculous", so they just transitioned to the celtic punk thing because the other idea was drunk bar songs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hornswoggle is 28 :stare:

Him and Kevin Steen got some city years on them :stonk:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dias posted:

NXT is magic tho. Wasn't Big E Langston just a super-strong guy that pinned you for a 5-count there?

Yeah, Big E's five count stuff got him pretty over with the NXT crowd.

Of course, none of that followed with him to the main roster except his theme. So we got a guy who had his music claim 3s not enough, he needs 5.

And never got a 5. Ever. I really wish he'd have gotten it, since it was a pretty good character gimmick saying he can put you down for longer than necessary. Instead he was just bland strongman #7 on the roster in the ring, but who was genuinely funny off script.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 31, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Its obviously not some kind of direct inspiration or ripoff (or at least not that I recognize) but "punk rock" didn't really seem like much of a groundbreaking cliche departure to me considering celtic punk rock is a big part of American Irish cliches/culture.

Its not like its racist or anything and I actually think it works but it doesn't seem like very outside the box thinking. Its like they started her with the Riverdance thing, someone said "that's ridiculous", so they just transitioned to the celtic punk thing because the other idea was drunk bar songs.

It's not something groundbreaking for an Irish wrestler, but at least it's legit part of her personality (I think Becky's a massive grunge fan) and she's currently allied and kayfabe best friends with Sasha Banks without it being an "odd pairing" thing. WWE ain't brilliant with nationalities, if you're a foreigner you're always defined by your country (unless it's England, and even then it's iffy).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

At least it's not a Bono gimmick

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I Before E posted:

At least it's not a Bono gimmick

Well yeah. It would be pointless what with Adam Copeland being retired.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

justin gabriel doesn't spend all his time talking about Krugerrands and pining for the orange free state, then again he doesn't talk much in the first place so

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Alouicious posted:

justin gabriel doesn't spend all his time talking about Krugerrands and pining for the orange free state, then again he doesn't talk much in the first place so

I think that's more of a Leo Kruger gimmick to me

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Alouicious posted:

There seems to be a point between the powers that be only knowing the stereotypes about where you're from and the powers that be knowing jack poo poo about where you're from that seems to be the perfect place for not having to be a walking one-gimmick-that's-it dude.

I'd call it a sweet spot, but it's not as if those that escape that kind of booking get anything actually good either.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bhester posted:

So the fans are racists if they don't cheer for a black guy?

Probably more that they never have anyone to cheer for.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

STAC Goat posted:

She's Irish Irish though. Not the K-mart poo poo you get in the States.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

oldpainless posted:

I thought John Cena won that title when he easily defeated the black man at arm wrestling.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

oldpainless posted:

A black man was once King and Champion of Champions.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Corzaa posted:

A black man was once [...] Champion of Champions.

What does it say that he won that match with help from a white rapper?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

not twitter but eh close enough

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Corzaa posted:

A black man was once King and Champion of Champions.

King booker is legit my favorite gimmick of the last 15 years. Everything he did entertained me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

:drat:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

:vince:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

That is a :master: , but now I'm imaging KO coming out to Chavo's theme only to send a dude out on a stretcher after powerbombing them on the ring edge.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Swagger at the LA live event last Monday:
http://instagram.com/p/xQeh6iOPrJ/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video&modal=true

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Why can't we have this Jack Swagger on TV? The big dumb patriotic goof who likes to dance around and do pushups?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
What comes after the semicolon Mr. Mysterio? I want to know what the one love is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Missing the 6 and 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe this will be the year Rey's legs finally fly off while doing the 619.