Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

I dream of a day when I no longer have to use both the Mail app (for sharing things from other apps via email)
This would work if Google adopted iOS 8's Extensions feature for the Gmail app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Tried googling this one up but no success so far:

I text in both Spanish and English, and so the predictive language correction was a nightmare until I belatedly realized that you can have your text function set for different keyboards (and the predictive adapts to that language), by hitting a little "Globe" button at the lower right. This is great, but the problem is the Globe button is right next to things like the Shift button, so it's really easy to hit and all of a sudden my English word are getting autocorrected to Spanish words or vice versa whenever I bump it.

It seems kinda stupid that just tapping it changes languages, as 99% of people aren't constantly changing languages within a sentence, or at least not to the degree that it needs to be instantaneous. Is there any kind of workaround or third-party keyboard where everything is the same, except you need to hold down the Globe button for a second or two to get it to switch languages, as opposed to just tapping it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Tried googling this one up but no success so far:

I text in both Spanish and English, and so the predictive language correction was a nightmare until I belatedly realized that you can have your text function set for different keyboards (and the predictive adapts to that language), by hitting a little "Globe" button at the lower right. This is great, but the problem is the Globe button is right next to things like the Shift button, so it's really easy to hit and all of a sudden my English word are getting autocorrected to Spanish words or vice versa whenever I bump it.

It seems kinda stupid that just tapping it changes languages, as 99% of people aren't constantly changing languages within a sentence, or at least not to the degree that it needs to be instantaneous. Is there any kind of workaround or third-party keyboard where everything is the same, except you need to hold down the Globe button for a second or two to get it to switch languages, as opposed to just tapping it?

Just use SwiftKey. No tapping involved.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I just jailbroke my phone which was on 8.1 with Pangu. If I re enable find my phone and passcode and touchID, will my phone be able to boot or should I leave those things off?

I googled it and found a ton of people saying you can't enable them or your phone will freeze if you ever reboot it, but those posts were a month ago so I was just wondering if that's still the case.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Feenix posted:

Fun video! Well done.

Hey, thanks! I'm proud of it. Just a little family vacation video but I think it looks pretty good for something shot only on cell phones.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Since upgrading whenever i tell siri to call someone she always asks "do you mean first name last name?" Is there a way to fix this? For example i say call John and she says do you mean John Smith? I always mean John Smith. I only know one John and hes the only John in my contacts.

Before in my 5 on ios 7 she would just make the call. Its only since upgrading to the 6+ and ios 8 that this has started.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have only the first name in the first name field and only the last name in the last name field? If you have both in the first name field that might be messing with it, but I don't know.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe add "John" to the nickname field.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I have john in the first name and smith in the last name. Also if i say text john it works just fine. Its only on calling where it asks me to confirm.

Its not just one contact either, ive noticed it happens with other contacts as well.

Edit: does it have anything to do with linked contacts? I noticed at the bottom it says linked contacts and then has an entry for iphone and also for exchange. I dont know what those mean.

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 1, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just jailbroke my phone which was on 8.1 with Pangu. If I re enable find my phone and passcode and touchID, will my phone be able to boot or should I leave those things off?

I googled it and found a ton of people saying you can't enable them or your phone will freeze if you ever reboot it, but those posts were a month ago so I was just wondering if that's still the case.

Your phone will be fine if you enable them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Software update taking up too much space on your phone? Just sue!

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2014/12/30/apple-hit-with-class-action-over-storage-eaten-up-by-ios-8/r

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
While a class action lawsuit is dumb, it would be nice if Apple would
a) warn you how much space is going to be lost
b) let you downgrade OS versions when they inevitably push the latest half-baked release out

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

c) make 32gb the bare minimum for devices sold in tyool 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

~Coxy posted:

While a class action lawsuit is dumb, it would be nice if Apple would
a) warn you how much space is going to be lost
b) let you downgrade OS versions when they inevitably push the latest half-baked release out

I think the updates show the size when downloading + OTA. Outside that, it's already being eaten.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parker Lewis posted:

c) make 32gb the bare minimum for devices sold in tyool 2015

This is the solution. It just doesn't make apple as much money.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

noirstronaut posted:

I think the updates show the size when downloading + OTA. Outside that, it's already being eaten.

It only shows the size of the package you download, not the portion of that download that may or may not take up additional space by the new OS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

~Coxy posted:

It only shows the size of the package you download, not the portion of that download that may or may not take up additional space by the new OS.

Well, like, iOS 7 takes up less space than iOS 8 and I dunno if 8.1 -> 8.1.3 means more space is being eaten up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

My wife will be getting her iPhone 6 next week as we just switched to T-Mobile. She's been an Android user for years.

She uses a lot of the Google apps (GMail, Calendar, Docs), but other than that it's nothing special. She's mainly switching because of the camera being loving awesome when it takes pics of our toddler. We used a T-Mobile 5S for a week before we had to return it (was part of the Test Drive), and usage seemed ok, aside from some workflow changes.

Any newbie tips/tricks for helping with this transition?

Use sunrise or fantastical as the calendar app.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

A general itunes newbie question. My wife just purchased an iPhone 6 last night and she had a 5 previously. She wants to only move over her apps and contacts only. No pics or other stuff. Is there a way to only sync that info with itunes(from one phone to another) or do you need to do a backup/restore if you don't iCloud?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My father in law just bought an iPad Air 2. Just after setting up, before anything was installed, I checked the capacity, 11.8 gbs available. loving :lol:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Duxwig posted:

A general itunes newbie question. My wife just purchased an iPhone 6 last night and she had a 5 previously. She wants to only move over her apps and contacts only. No pics or other stuff. Is there a way to only sync that info with itunes(from one phone to another) or do you need to do a backup/restore if you don't iCloud?

Contacts should be synced with her iTunes account. Same for the Apps, although you'll have to either tell the App Store program to download them one at a time, or use iTunes to get them over in bulk.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Okay, I've had it with my phone autocorrecting correctly spelled words so that they're all caps. Is there a way I can change my autocorrect dictionary for particularly troublesome words? Google only gives me info that seems out of date, contradictory, or a nuclear option of starting autocorrect over from scratch.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Just keep hitting the x when autocorrect pops up. If you let it change it and then backspace it it won't change the dictionary.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Just keep hitting the x when autocorrect pops up. If you let it change it and then backspace it it won't change the dictionary.

I've been doing that and it isn't changing. Maybe it just takes awhile?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno it's always worked for me but then again the whole "autocorrect dictionary" thing seems like a bunch of mirrors and snake oil that behaves differently for every single person.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

jackhunter64 posted:

Try signing out from iTunes in the Settings app. My brother gifted me the new Aphex Twin album and the film Calvary at Christmas. After I redeemed the codes, they showed up fine in the Purchased section on the store, but didn't appear in their respective apps until I re-signed in. First time I've had that problem, but that fixed it right away.

I did this, then I deleted all my local music, which crashed Settings multiple times. I had to restart for it to work. When I re-enabled, iTunes Match starting "working" again. I use scare quotes because all my playlists are strewn about. Folders have entirely different names. Playlists that should be in folders are in the root view. It's a total goddamn mess and I'm sick of it. Yosemite + iOS8 has so many annoying little bugs that it's really soured me on Apple's ability to write quality software. :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So with iOS 8 and Yosemite you're able to put your phone in hotspot mode from another device. For some reason this stopped working for me at some point. On both my laptop or my iPad, it'd try to start the hotspot, and then after 30-45 seconds time out and give me an error.

I was able to fix this, at least on my iPad, by resetting network settings on the iPad. But I have no clue how in to fix this on my laptop. Anyone else run into this before? In the meantime I have to take out my phone and turn hotspot on manually like fred loving fintstone.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

So with iOS 8 and Yosemite you're able to put your phone in hotspot mode from another device. For some reason this stopped working for me at some point. On both my laptop or my iPad, it'd try to start the hotspot, and then after 30-45 seconds time out and give me an error.

I was able to fix this, at least on my iPad, by resetting network settings on the iPad. But I have no clue how in to fix this on my laptop. Anyone else run into this before? In the meantime I have to take out my phone and turn hotspot on manually like fred loving fintstone.

Do you have to pay for this feature like before?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The big problem I'm having with my iPhone over Android is pausing audio on the lock screen. On Android I can pause some audio (say, Pocket Casts) and when I return the phone from sleep, I can just click play on the lock screen regardless of how long the audio has been paused. On iPhone I constantly pause things for a minute or so, then when I click the top button there either aren't player controls or I see the player controls but they disappear immediately. HOW do I fix this? I need to constantly pause audio on my iPhone but its so annoying to me when I have to unlock the phone and either swipe up or go into my podcast app to start again.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The big problem I'm having with my iPhone over Android is pausing audio on the lock screen. On Android I can pause some audio (say, Pocket Casts) and when I return the phone from sleep, I can just click play on the lock screen regardless of how long the audio has been paused. On iPhone I constantly pause things for a minute or so, then when I click the top button there either aren't player controls or I see the player controls but they disappear immediately. HOW do I fix this? I need to constantly pause audio on my iPhone but its so annoying to me when I have to unlock the phone and either swipe up or go into my podcast app to start again.

Generally, you can control media playback from mission control (slide from bottom) even if the controls aren't visible directly on the lock screen.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I just came from Android, and sometimes my phone will play a notification sound, but nothing is in the notification pane, the lock screen and there aren't any number badges on my home screen. I've gone through the Notification Settings and everything that has Sound also has Badges or Banners, so it should show up, right?

How can I tell what made my phone bing?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 2, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Do you have to pay for this feature like before?

Yeah, you have to pay your carrier for tethering or have a plan that supports tethering. The only difference is that now iOS 8 and Yosemite show your tethering-capable iPhone in the wifi chooser all the time, and you can enable tethering just by picking it. No need to take your phone out and enable hotspot in the settings.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GigaPeon posted:

So I just came from Android, and sometimes my phone will play a notification sound, but nothing is in the notification pane, the lock screen and there aren't any number badges on my home screen. I've gone through the Notification Settings and everything that has Sound also has Badges or Banners, so it should show up, right?

How can I tell what made my phone bing?

It's possible the app revoked its own notification. I know Messages will do that if you clear the notification elsewhere.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

It's possible the app revoked its own notification. I know Messages will do that if you clear the notification elsewhere.

Gmail and Hangouts are smart enough to do that too.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

Generally, you can control media playback from mission control (slide from bottom) even if the controls aren't visible directly on the lock screen.

Mission control is not in iOS but this is the correct answer.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Mission control is not in iOS but this is the correct answer.

Is control panel the official name?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Command center I think.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

kitten smoothie posted:

Gmail and Hangouts are smart enough to do that too.

Yeah, thought about that, but I'll just have the phone on my desk. It'll go "bing" just sitting there and the screen won't even turn on. If it's Hangouts, the screen will come on, but the notification will go away if I check the message on the computer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This has happened to me, too, and it was maddening. Turned out to be the Twitter app (I'm dumb enough to be running the default one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Sure it's not an email?