Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dinner tonight:

Chickpeas and baby spinach braised in coconut milk with ginger and lemon. Served over a Hasselback russet potato. Sorry for the crappy photo, I thought it came out better and when I realized it didn't we had eaten it already.

bosko posted:

Christmas treats!

I don't know what any of those are but I want to eat all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Sex Hobbit is Sick Hobbit this week.

Nothing fancy, just good ol' crockpot action because gently caress effort when my head feels full of cement.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I totally missed the switch from the old thread to the new. You all make fantastically good looking food. Here are some things I'm moderately proud of from the past month +/-

Thanksgiving dinner- spatchcocked the bird, after an overnight dry brine- pretty fantastic and I don't think my family will do a whole turkey any other way from now on. My favorite on the table though was probably the sage & honey cornbread.

First time I ever did pork belly. Also some fingerling potatoes, consumed in front of my computer, like the goon I am.

Finally, tonight's meal- a small rib roast, with leftover potatoes and salad. I'm probably going to forego eating meat in January just to make up for the past month or so.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Dinner tonight:

Chickpeas and baby spinach braised in coconut milk with ginger and lemon. Served over a Hasselback russet potato. Sorry for the crappy photo, I thought it came out better and when I realized it didn't we had eaten it already.

I never imagined a russet potato could look so appetizing as the focal point of a meal.

I usually stick to baking since I'm not very confident preparing actual food, but I got a new cookbook for Christmas, so I took it for a test drive with some cauliflower soup.

I also did a cookie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Noodles with chorizo and vegetables mixed with a bit of leftover pasta sauce, and some mushrooms and onions cooked with herbs, garlic and milk.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
First Christmas day we went to my bro for a family tapas dinner, no pictures taken.

Second Christmas day (wich is an official holiday over here) we didn't go out, I pictured some of the things eaten:

as a starter, we had smoked salmon (with a honey mustard dressing), eal and a quick pickle

then an duck breast salad (not pictured) sans salad, because we forgot to buy that...the duck tasted fine on its own though.

Followed by a frizzante with pear ice

And the entrez was a turkey thigh we deboned and filled with cheese and cranberries soaked in brandy, with a red wine sauce, green beans wrapped in pancetta and a rather tiny serving of broccoli

Finally we had a cheese platter, wich was not pictured due to too drunk.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

paraquat posted:

And the entrez was a turkey thigh we deboned and filled with cheese and cranberries soaked in brandy, with a red wine sauce, green beans wrapped in pancetta and a rather tiny serving of broccoli

Sounds just crazy enough to work.

We have three Christmas days here and we only had to cook for one of them :cool:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

baw posted:

Sounds just crazy enough to work.

We have three Christmas days here and we only had to cook for one of them :cool:

It worked out great, although the cheese (a chaumes) was nowhere to be found after baking.

three Christmas days, wow

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My dad just got back into town last night. He loves gingerbread and my mom never makes it (he is inept in the kitchen, and unlikely to make it for himself) because roll-out cookies are such a pain in the rear end. So we made gingerbread for him as a welcome-home present. He's a veterinarian, and I got little dog themed cookie stamps for them.

The ones with actual dogs were the hardest to get good results from. The upper right cookie is a little Scottie dog, that one transferred the least well; the lower right is a dog's head. The others (doghouse, bone, and hydrant) were easier to get good results from.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Made some cookies as well but ate all of them before I remembered the camera. Now I'll have to make more :D

Anyway, a few things I made recently that didn't immediately disappear:

Test run of pork Wellington. A bit overcooked despite using a thermometer (hence the hole), as the temperature shot up way faster than I expected. Not bad otherwise though.

Svíčková with rice because I don't like making (or eating) the dumplings.

Carbonnade flamande... with rice again (I should mix that up a bit). It didn't marinade nearly as long as necessary but still turned out pretty sweet.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Steak'n'chips...

Aged rib-eye, Hickory's magic dust rub, reverse seared in oven then pan with butter until finished. Fries and minted petis pois.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I made dis.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

A nice quiet New Year's at home

Everyone should try this focaccine recipe. Super quick, you don't even have to get your hands dirty, and they go very well with guacamole or hummus or babaganoosh and all sorts of other stuff.

Guacamole with the aforementioned focaccine, with some crema de peperoncini piccanti from Sardegna.

Lychees are becoming one of my favorite things to snack on:

Spaghetti with broccoli pesto and almonds:

Seitan with lentils:

Tiramisu:

baw fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Boc boc, 1st of the year...

Honey glazed roast chicken with steamed and roasted parsnips and carrots

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
NYE carnitas tacos!

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 1, 2015

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Smoked antelope sausages yesterday for a party last night.

Made modernist mac and cheese today with cave aged gruyere. Holy poo poo this is some kind of black magic and I love it.

Oops broken table.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 2, 2015

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I haven't ever been too adventurous with food until this past year. Kicking off 2015 with something I've never had.

Homemade duck leg confit, parmesan garlic mashed potatoes, watercress, sauced with bordelaise (and the mushrooms and carrots from the bordelaise).

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 2, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I made banh mi for the first time tonight. Don't know why the gently caress I haven't made it before considering I love it and my options around here are limited. Needless to say there is no pic because I shoved that poo poo in my facehole fast.

For the meaty part I made chicken sausage patties with fish sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, chiles, green onions and a little sugar. Made a sriracha aioli, and the carrot and daikon pickles. Sandwiches on crusty bolillo rolls with a hefty smear of sriracha mayo, a few drops of maggi, sausage, pickles, cuke, jalapeno slices and cilantro.

It was a good first dinner of 2015.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Happy new year! We made luck and money for a crowd of 24:

We also made more gingerbread, this time with a simple glaze, and milk chocolate fudge.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
New years resolution time - eat a bit more healthily! (And spend even more time in the kitchen.)

Salt and pepper salmon, new potatoes, mushroom, sugar snap peas, and a lemon, parsley and chilli dressing.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

baw posted:

Tiramisu:

I LOVE the presentation - that little glass is so awesome. My tiramisu is a favourite in my family/friends and for dates, but presentation is never the best. I'm going to steal this.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner

sweat poteto posted:

Winter = shades of beige :gonk:

Spaghetti with fried lemon, roast garlic and squash.

Edit: my camera only captures brown

What is the recipe for this please.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016815-pasta-with-fried-lemons-and-chile-flakes

To which I added celery (fried off with the lemon), and roast squash + roast garlic. I'm enjoying these "dry" pasta dishes at the moment.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

That Works posted:

Yeah it does pretty well. You don't get as visible a ring and a real bite from the smoke like you do with a brisket but it gets in nicely. Also the low and slow keeps it really juicy and tender overall.

What was your experience with smoking a bird? I got mixed reactions a few years back on Thanksgiving. The turkey was super moist, but some people were turned off by seeing the smoke ring (most people don't want to see red meat in poultry), and the skin was leather.

sharkattack posted:

roasted parmesan garlic acorn squash

I thought you cooked Batarangs for a minute.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Rum broiled grapefruit.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Happy (belated) New Year, thread!

A couple of things from the last few days; crab-stuffed avocados for a NYE starter (white crab meat, dijon, basil, red chilli, olive oil etc.):

Black bean quesadillas (beans, corn, cilantro, red onion, garlic, cheese and a whole boatload of "secret" taco seasoning):

My freezer is groaning from how many of these I have for quick and dirty shift-work emergency eating ;)

:siren: I take no credit for this one, I just thought I'd honour it :siren:

My friend tried making sushi for her first time. I think it turned out pretty spectacularly:

baw posted:

Tiramisu:

This is cute as a button :3:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Timo posted:

What was your experience with smoking a bird? I got mixed reactions a few years back on Thanksgiving. The turkey was super moist, but some people were turned off by seeing the smoke ring (most people don't want to see red meat in poultry), and the skin was leather.

I love it. The tenderness and flavor are top notch and I didn't get any complaints about the smoke rring before.

The skin you just have to accept as a lost cause and remove. We didnt butcher the bird at the table and just brought out a platter of meat.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

That Works posted:

I love it. The tenderness and flavor are top notch and I didn't get any complaints about the smoke rring before.

The skin you just have to accept as a lost cause and remove. We didnt butcher the bird at the table and just brought out a platter of meat.

My dad smoked a turkey for thanksgiving and the skin was fantastically tasty and crispy, so it can be done right.

Pierat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We decided to do elementary school lunch today. Fresh bread for PBJs, and three flavors of potato chip.

Plain salt:

Sea salt and rosemary:

BBQ:

Potatoes on the mandoline to get them super thin; this is 3 potatoes worth, less the ones we ate straight off the cooling rack. I was just gonna do salt, the other flavors were my girlfriend's idea. The rosemary ones are spectacular. We weren't sure what to season with for BBQ; these have chili powder, cayenne, paprika, and kosher salt. Thinking about it, they should probably have had cumin in, but they were good.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Nelson Mandela posted:

I LOVE the presentation - that little glass is so awesome. My tiramisu is a favourite in my family/friends and for dates, but presentation is never the best. I'm going to steal this.

:ssh:it's an old candle holder

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Pierat posted:

My dad smoked a turkey for thanksgiving and the skin was fantastically tasty and crispy, so it can be done right.

Can I talk to your father? I brined and smoked a turkey and the skin was leather.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Rum broiled grapefruit.

recipe? please.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

panorama_change posted:

recipe? please.

Here you go: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/rum-broiled-grapefruit?src=SOC&dom=fb

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Timo posted:

Can I talk to your father? I brined and smoked a turkey and the skin was leather.

At what temperature were you smoking the turkey? Poultry doesn't really benefit from low and slow right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tacier posted:

I never imagined a russet potato could look so appetizing as the focal point of a meal.

Forgot to say -- thank you! :3:

Migas and refried beans for breakfast today. Never made or eaten either before, so I hope I got them right, but they were good. I gather there are all kinds of migas variants and this is the Tex-Mex one.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Huge photo dump of things I made in the past few months.

Futomaki

Whoooole bunch of healthy poo poo right here

Minestrone

Miso ramen

Plum and strawberry tarts with marscarpone whipped cream for husband's birthday

Pretzel buns. loving amazing.

And our traditional Thanksgiving pizza

baw posted:

:ssh:it's an old candle holder
I thought so. How unrefined.
I've done the exact same thing. Currently working on burning down a second one so we have a matching set. :D They're just so drat cute.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

guppy posted:

Forgot to say -- thank you! :3:

Migas and refried beans for breakfast today. Never made or eaten either before, so I hope I got them right, but they were good. I gather there are all kinds of migas variants and this is the Tex-Mex one.

Can refried beans be lumpy like that? Not knocking you here, from :australia: and those things are basically unheard of here. Is it just one of those "this works for me, it's done" kind of things?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
A bit of a dump from myself as I've been a busy bee in the kitchen over the last couple of days.

Broccoli & Stilton Soup (you can't really go wrong):

Decided it was time to bust out my pickled red cabbage after a month and a half. First time doing something that wasn't just a quick pickle and making a proper infused pickling liquor reduction etc. etc. Cider vinegar, red wine, sea salt, peppercorns, mustard seeds, sugar, bay leaves and all kinds "in" here. Pretty pleased - at the very least it's a great colour (luckily it tastes great too)!

Had a bit of a 70s moment and put it with a smoked salmon mousse cased and chilled in cucumber with ghetto melba toast (second batch pictured - first was the first time I've set my oven on fire for a good while. I think I forgot just how quickly you have to grill the cut sides :supaburn:). Terrible plating/pic (I just wanted to show the insides!); tasty food.

Turnip & potato gratin with more double cream than is good for anyone:

...to go with a steak and ale pie veggie fake steak:

...ending up like this (in terrible lighting, as usual):

So many other things to try, so little time (not helped by getting around to installing the Kindle app on my iPad and impulse buying a massive new cookbook :sigh:).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

IslamoNazi posted:

Can refried beans be lumpy like that? Not knocking you here, from :australia: and those things are basically unheard of here. Is it just one of those "this works for me, it's done" kind of things?

I'll let the Latino contingent answer that definitively, since I have somehow previously gone 30 years without eating refried beans, but as I understand it you just mash them til they're as mashed as you want them. My potato masher blows and I decided it was good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

guppy posted:

I'll let the Latino contingent answer that definitively, since I have somehow previously gone 30 years without eating refried beans, but as I understand it you just mash them til they're as mashed as you want them. My potato masher blows and I decided it was good enough.

Its your food. Make it the way you like it. I grew up in Texas and would Love to eat the hell out of that breakfast.

At a Tex-Mex restaurant, if you order refried beans you will get smooth mashed Pinto beans.
Refried Black beans are a rare treat to find on a menu and may be more common in New Mexico or California.

• Locked thread