Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I would buy CS:GO to play with ya'll but a) I already blew my winter sale budget and b) I am sooooooooo bad at fps games its not even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

CS Elo is complicated. You can win every game for a week and not rank up if your score is always bad or if the game thinks your fundamentals are that off (and yes, it can calculate these things based on shots missed and such). It's also largely dependent on the strength of your opponents. If at the end of a match you look at the ranks for everyone and it seems like you were chosen by the matchmaker to lose and you won, you'll more quickly rank up. I've gone from DMG to LE in 3 games and I've done it in 100. Playing with good people only helps a bit, you can't be dragged into a good rank too much, though I have a friend who would argue against that.

For the record, I 100% believe everything you just said, because merk and my scores weren't significantly different in the games we just played before I got a rank back. The game just thought I'm the better player based on FPS fundamentals, I suppose.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

There's a dude in SAMart that will give you a healthy discount on CS:GO if you ask. I got CS:GO for $8 from him when it was $11.50. I assume he can give it to you for $5 or something.

This is his thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I also broke my winter sale budget by buying telltale games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I, uh, torrent those . . .

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

>:[

I will buy it for both of you. Whenever you have the money to pay it back give it to your favorite charity instead. Or buy more games. Whichever.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I have CS:GO but I have never played and I would play with a controller which probably means I would lose a lot.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, um, controller . . . . .

:h:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I have CS:GO but I have never played and I would play with a controller which probably means I would lose a lot.

I am not trying to be funny, I swear, but you'd probably not be too far away from where merk is if you started learning how to keyboard/mouse. I've only ever known a single person who could do well on PC games with a controller, and I doubt you want to test out whether you're the one in a million or not.

Asiina and Chic, I grabbed your copies but my inventory page is wonky and won't let me access it right now. When it stops being temperamental I'll forward them.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I hate K+M controls and always have for any game. I'm a console gamer to the end despite mostly having given up consoles. :/

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I use a controller to play Dark Souls, Super Meat Boy, and Bethesda games. Using one to play FPS games is putting yourself at an insane disadvantage unless your thumb reflexes and control are so insanely on point that your slightly shaky hand can't match it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

i was a professional mw2 champion

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You were one of the best at mastering a handicap. MLG console gamers would get crushed by mediocre PC gamers because the mouse is so very much better at aiming. What I'm trying to say is, perhaps you should try KB+M again and see if you hate it less since it's good stuff.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I use whichever control scheme works best for that particular game. Anything with a shooting machanic will inevitably be worse with a controller than a mouse. Some games also have complicated schemes best fit for controllers though like Brothers or the AssCreed games.

The worst is GTA which on foot is better with a keyboard and mouse, but in a car better with a controller.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

I, uh, torrent those . . .

You are a monster.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Asiina and Chic, I grabbed your copies but my inventory page is wonky and won't let me access it right now. When it stops being temperamental I'll forward them.

Thanks a lot. I am still away for another day, but I'll install when I get home.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ernie. posted:

I will install it tonight then, thank you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks Chic for the thing, Asiina and Chic you should both have it now!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I will play if there is still space! I'm terrible at CS and Mafia so this is perfect.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I was doing okay but then I was guarding a dropped bomb and someone threw a smoke grenade and I got kicked because of it? CS is silly.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'll play! Per usual, I know nothing about the thing the flavor is based off of.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
you dont have to, jjust call people terrorists and talk about how one type of gun is better than another, and post HEADSHOT whenever someone makes a good case.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

The Diq asked me to play. Does this team need another Spy?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Hurt posted:

The Diq asked me to play. Does this team need another Spy?

Hurt let's be in thread mason buddies.

We can talk in spoilers nobody else is allowed to read.

I hear Diqnol smells like poop.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I think this is the best plan. I heard Diqnol eats his all of his food wrapped in French Fries. Even the drinks

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So I'm not gonna launch until tomorrow night. I have more invites out, so if we get a sufficient number of additions, I can tweak the setup to accommodate. Otherwise, make sure ya'll have time to still play this (the game opened a while back so I understand if you don't!) and I'll send PMs out tomorrow night. Hurt, if nobody else signs up (unlikely) and nobody decides "nah..", then I have to put ya on the replacement list.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Okay that sounds fine to me. We'll see how it shakes out.

Asiina If I'm not in the game, kill Diqnol first. AVENGE ME.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I would do it anyway, but an excuse of avenging couldn't hurt.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Tell you what is a good Steam multiplayer game: Lethal League

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Legal League looked awesome but it didn't get enough of a discount in the last sale and it's base price is WAY too expensive.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

It was 50% off near the end. I got a 2 pack for a friend and I. We have been playing silly amounts.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Okay, guys! I'm all done writing up the flavor stuff, so we're ready to launch later tonight. Expect PMs around 7-8pm EST unless we get some signups and can expand it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I thought this was the flavour??

uranus posted:

you dont have to, jjust call people terrorists and talk about how one type of gun is better than another, and post HEADSHOT whenever someone makes a good case.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Okay, looks like we'll go with what we have then. I'm sorry Hurt! PMs going out shortly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hi, still closed for now. Someone doesn't have plat and someone doesn't have any room in their mailbox. We wait!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You know what? Everyone can post for now but the game won't start/votes won't count until I say so. Enjoy!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Who wants to fight?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I am home and installing the striking counters now.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well, that resolved itself more quickly than I anticipated. Two things worth noting - Dr. Hurt IS in fact in the game now, I found a way to work him in, the other? I'm about to start the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Your Personal Muse posted:

Who wants to fight?

That's what your momma said last night.

BAM.

• Locked thread