Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

edotherocket posted:

I was given the most recent Macho Man Blu Ray as a Christmas gift and watched Savage vs Flair from September '92 where Flair wins the title back. It's the first time I've seen the match. It takes place shortly after Summerslam 92 and Savage is still selling an injured knee from Flair's chair attack.

My question is this: is that the one and only time Flair (or anyone) has won via a pinfall during a figure four leg lock? I don't think I've seen that finish in WWE before.

...also, is that Steve Austin appearing as a lumberjack during the Macho vs Hogan lumberjack match from '86? It sure looks like him but I didn't think he was in the company at the time.

Austin wasn't in wrestling school until '89.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I really wanted to believe. :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I was trying to watch Bryan vs Miz from NoC 2010 but couldn't make it five minutes before getting sick of Heel Cole ranting about Gene LeBell. When did that garbage start and end so I know which PPVs to not bother with?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How does WWE consider the workers independent contractors but include a non-compete? I know ADR and Punk got out of their non-competes, but there is news about WWE updating everyone's contracts to strengthen the non-compete. Doesn't UFC have like a couple of class action lawsuits ongoing because of this sort of thing? How does that not concern WWE?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edotherocket posted:

I was given the most recent Macho Man Blu Ray as a Christmas gift and watched Savage vs Flair from September '92 where Flair wins the title back. It's the first time I've seen the match. It takes place shortly after Summerslam 92 and Savage is still selling an injured knee from Flair's chair attack.

My question is this: is that the one and only time Flair (or anyone) has won via a pinfall during a figure four leg lock? I don't think I've seen that finish in WWE before.

...also, is that Steve Austin appearing as a lumberjack during the Macho vs Hogan lumberjack match from '86? It sure looks like him but I didn't think he was in the company at the time.

It's happened a bunch of times, Flair pinned Hogan with the figure 4 at Uncensored 99.

In a first blood barbed wire cage match with a crooked ref and outside help.

Sub Rosa posted:

How does WWE consider the workers independent contractors but include a non-compete? I know ADR and Punk got out of their non-competes, but there is news about WWE updating everyone's contracts to strengthen the non-compete. Doesn't UFC have like a couple of class action lawsuits ongoing because of this sort of thing? How does that not concern WWE?

If a contractor holds a trade secret or will be able to unreasonably solicit business for a new related business due to its previous employer they are going to be given a non-compete. Just because someone is classified as an independent contractor doesn't mean a non-compete is invalid. UFC's class action lawsuit has pretty much nothing to do with this, WWE would have to be concerned with former wrestlers taking them to court on the independent contractor issue in general.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was trying to watch Bryan vs Miz from NoC 2010 but couldn't make it five minutes before getting sick of Heel Cole ranting about Gene LeBell. When did that garbage start and end so I know which PPVs to not bother with?

Skip 2011 entirely.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

WWE would have to be concerned with former wrestlers taking them to court on the independent contractor issue in general.

I can't comprehend why they aren't concerned, though.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Corzaa posted:

Skip 2011 entirely.

Heel Cole stuck around (not as overbearing, but still there) until right after Lawler's heart attack. He had to break character that night and they never went back from there.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Sub Rosa posted:

What makes you think they aren't concerned though? The company often seems to have their head up their rear end, but they're usually pretty competent at screwing workers, squashing unions, and dodging contract lawsuits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

From Daniel Bryan's debut on the main roster to Lawler's heart attack.

Yes, really.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Sub Rosa posted:

They probably assume that the average released performer won't have the funds to fight them in court. They're not all making Punk/Del Rio money.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Sub Rosa posted:

This makes me wonder... how many times has the top title changed hands not in the main event?

It took me 18 seconds to think of Bryan/Sheamus at wrestlemania.

(If you want to say that that wasn't the top title, fine.)

Orton was awarded the WWE title at No Mercy 07 when Cena couldn't defend, and then HHH beat Orton in the opening match.
In that tournament to find a replacement champ during the Summer of Punk storyline, Rey won the tournament in a RAW opener.

WCW did it a few times that I can think of off the top:
Sting beat DDP for the WCW title on a Nitro opener in April 99. DDP won it back in a 4-way in the main event.
Booker T beat Steiner for the WCW title on the final nitro's opener. The last match of the night was Sting/Flair.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Andre beat Hogan for the title and it wasn't the main event, although it was on the Main Event.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

IronCladBurrito posted:

Orton was awarded the WWE title at No Mercy 07 when Cena couldn't defend, and then HHH beat Orton in the opening match.

Didn't Orton then win the belt at the end of the PPV?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Davros1 posted:

Yes, HHH went over Orton in the opener and then beat Umaga later in the night before losing to orton in the main.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

Andre beat Hogan for the title and it wasn't the main event, although it was on the Main Event.

That's a little different, if only because the Main Event usually started with the top match due to the late timeslot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

As part of a contrived way to try and make good with the audience with Randy Orton in a Last Man Standing match.

The No Mercy ME was supposed to be a blowoff LMS match between Orton and Cena.

Cena was injured in the ME of the go home Raw, so they didn't have a chance to rebook anything prior to the PPV.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

As part of a contrived way to try and make good with the audience with Randy Orton in a Last Man Standing match.

The No Mercy ME was supposed to be a blowoff LMS match between Orton and Cena.

Cena was injured in the ME of the go home Raw, so they didn't have a chance to rebook anything prior to the PPV.

First PPV I ever bought, and I got two title changes & three title matches. Orton was awarded the belt in the opening segment, he lost it to HHH in the surprise opening contest, HHH successfully defended against Umaga in their previously booked match in the midcard, and then he lost it back to Orton in the LMS main event. That show was a complete clusterfuck that also included a pizza eating contest as well as a Punjabi Prison match, and HBK came back the next night on Raw to debut Randy Orton's jelly-leg superkick sell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bBdSuoZv3Q&t=408s

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

magnum_valentino posted:

What's her brother Zak up to now? Is he still trying to get fit enough for a successful WWE tryout or has he contented himself with knocking about in the indies? I like him, I'd like to see him do well.

In a tag team with his brother called the Hooligans. He still holds out hope about getting signed with WWE. He has a wife and son now so I don't think it will really happen for him.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Punk started his long reign at Survivor Series 2011 - which was headlined by Rock/Cena vs. Miz/Truth

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

rovert posted:

In a tag team with his brother called the Hooligans. He still holds out hope about getting signed with WWE. He has a wife and son now so I don't think it will really happen for him.

They should consider changing the "S" to a "Z".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Which Raw is it that contains the famous Paul Ellering "My new tag team... is DOA!" promo and his rant about the internet? Should be June-July '98 but I can't find it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's the context of that gif of Big Show, holding his fist up, I think wearing a suit, and making a horrified face?

e: this one

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nostradingus posted:

What's the context of that gif of Big Show, holding his fist up, I think wearing a suit, and making a horrified face?

He really wanted to punch the Authority. Finding out you will die soon will make you very emotional.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Which Raw is it that contains the famous Paul Ellering "My new tag team... is DOA!" promo and his rant about the internet? Should be June-July '98 but I can't find it.

I'm not sure, but that was when he was the legendary Mr. Dot Com.

Nostradingus posted:

Wasn't that during the whole "Big Show is bad with money so the Authority purchased all his belongings causing him to cry all the time" angle?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm not sure, but that was when he was the legendary Mr. Dot Com.

It was June 29 '98. Still looking for the one where he declares himself Mr. Dot Com, he just rants about how it's the ERA OF THE INTERNET.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was June 29 '98. Still looking for the one where he declares himself Mr. Dot Com, he just rants about how it's the ERA OF THE INTERNET.

That was him just repeating something Vince fed him because the Internet was a new and scary thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That was him just repeating something Vince fed him because the Internet was a new and scary thing.

HBK does seem concerned about the internet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
God, that hangover canNOT be worth whatever he did to get it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

God, that hangover canNOT be worth whatever he did to get it.

cocaine and sunny, probably

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
What, in kayfabe, does Great sasuke think he's ever going to accomplish when he climbs into that bigass barrel?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

oatgan posted:

cocaine and sunny, probably

1996 Sunny would probably be worth it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nostradingus posted:

This was big show finally snapping and declaring, after being Steph & Hunter's slave for weeks, that he was mad as hell, not going to take it anymore and planning to punch HHH in the face

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

This was big show finally snapping and declaring, after being Steph & Hunter's slave for weeks, that he was mad as hell, not going to take it anymore and planning to punch HHH in the face

and now he's put them back in power because ???

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

WadeBartender posted:

Turns are a good storytelling device that must be reserved exclusively for the Big Show.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WadeBartender posted:

Big Show can apparently knock out the toughest wrestlers with a single, slow punch to the head. Yet he chooses only to attempt this like, once per match.

Big Show is a moron.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Big Show can apparently knock out the toughest wrestlers with a single, slow punch to the head. Yet he chooses only to attempt this like, once per match.

Big Show is a moron.

If you use a slow punch on a fresh opponent you will get countered.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
similarly, why doesn't anyone use flying bicycle kicks, full-body-rotation reverse hook kicks, giant roaring telegraphed lariats with heavy follow-through, and concentrated punches to a grounded foe the moment the match begins?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LvK posted:

similarly, why doesn't anyone use flying bicycle kicks, full-body-rotation reverse hook kicks, giant roaring telegraphed lariats with heavy follow-through, and concentrated punches to a grounded foe the moment the match begins?

Pretty much all of those have the theatrics/fun required to suspend my disbelief. Bog How slowly punching a guy does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the KO punch is an incredibly bad and dumb finisher, it's like he's doing one of those "go knock em out, sport" gestures