Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

MrBling posted:

Buy WWE All Stars instead for your PS3. It is the best WWE game.

All Stars is like playing a goofy arcade game and I mean that in a good way.

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrBling posted:

Buy WWE All Stars instead for your PS3. It is the best WWE game.

If it weren't for the basically non-existent creation suite I would care about All-Stars.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

All Stars is like playing a goofy arcade game and I don't mean that in a good way.

It's supposed to be a goofy arcade game, and I don't know what other way to take "it plays like one" as other than the good way.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Some of the juggle and standing combo stuff wasn't as well thought out as it could be, plus controls could get really floaty and big men were ridiculously aces (duh, WWE) but it was super duper loving fun. It's the type of game I would say "deserved a sequel" so we could see gameplay improvements but, well, WWE's track record with games lately means that the sequel would probably have been worse.

Weirdly enough, the DLC characters were way better made than some of the default characters. Mark Henry, Big Bossman, and Michael Hayes were all better made than Andre the Giant.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

It's supposed to be a goofy arcade game, and I don't know what other way to take "it plays like one" as other than the good way.

Hah whoops. I originally typed "and I don't mean that as an insult" but it read really awkwardly so I was going to change it to "and I mean that in a good way" but apparently managed to gently caress up typing a simple sentence.

Yeah that game was good.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
honestly I thought all-stars was awful

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Monkeycheese posted:

honestly I thought all-stars was awful

Yeah well I think you're awful.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All-Stars had a great idea and it would've been a great way to go, but I think it needed another iteration or two before it was a great wrestling game. It was really refreshing compared to the mainline WWE games that were contemporary, though.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
So, it sounds like WWE2K15 is a waste of money? I got quite a few Xbox money cards for Christmas and was thinking of getting it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doomsday Jesus posted:

So, it sounds like WWE2K15 is a waste of money? I got quite a few Xbox money cards for Christmas and was thinking of getting it.

Well you already wasted your money on an xbox so why stop there :downsrim:

Seriously though I haven't played it but I think the sentiment that you should wait for the price to drop is the best way to go. There are plenty of really good games out that you can get instead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't hate WWE 2k15 nearly as much as some of the people in this thread and I've had fun with universe mode in particular, but you shouldn't pay full price for it at all.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I paid full price for 2k15 and I really like it, but I can't recommend it as being "worth" that price to an average or sane person (even an average wrassle man fan).

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
2K15 is a good buy as long as you're happy with it being a periodical game. You play it once a week maybe and get your fill, and that's that til the next game. Sort of like WWE Programming, if you expose yourself to it too much you get sick of it.

I do hope they get rid of the objective based crap in the 'featured modes' though; the second time now I've 'done wrong' on something. I believe it was the HBK elimination chamber match where you have to elbow Triple H with your signature from the pod. I did that but HHH reversed and I lost. Time to do the 6man elimination again, from the beginning!

Yeah, not touching that mode for a long time.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

simosimo posted:

2K15 is a good buy as long as you're happy with it being a periodical game. You play it once a week maybe and get your fill, and that's that til the next game. Sort of like WWE Programming, if you expose yourself to it too much you get sick of it.

I do hope they get rid of the objective based crap in the 'featured modes' though; the second time now I've 'done wrong' on something. I believe it was the HBK elimination chamber match where you have to elbow Triple H with your signature from the pod. I did that but HHH reversed and I lost. Time to do the 6man elimination again, from the beginning!

Yeah, not touching that mode for a long time.

Could be like my problem where I'd do the elbow drop off of the chamber and it wouldn't count time and time again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There hasn't been a worthwhile story mode in a WWE game in roughly 11 years, so it's hard to get upset when it sucks or doesn't exist yet again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Candice Michele's magic wand wasn't 11 years ago, so you're wrong. :colbert:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There hasn't been a worthwhile story mode in a WWE game in roughly 11 years, so it's hard to get upset when it sucks or doesn't exist yet again.

That's exactly why people are so annoyed by the Universe and CAW features being gutted. The tools to make your own fun are severely limited this time.

I agree 100% with what was said above. I have yet to get tired of turning the game on and doing a couple of months in MyCareer, a few matches in Universe, maybe browsing the download stuff, then turning it off. If I were playing every day or caring too much about the Showcase stuff, I would hate it.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Has anybody had a chance to thoroughly play WMMA4 yet, and if so, is it good? I spent a surprisingly long time playing the last one - something about having the 'story' play out emergently rather than having to worry about booking finishes and storylines and all that made it a lot less of a slog than TEW - but that's a lot of cash to drop sight unseen.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Stardust did a top 10 games list for Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/stardust-s-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5137/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The next PCC is up (starts Thursday at 12am pacific, happy new year!) and it's all Rock/Austin cards from Epic up, AJ/Brie for UR/SR, and Rock/Austin again for rare.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Daniel Bryan posted:

Could be like my problem where I'd do the elbow drop off of the chamber and it wouldn't count time and time again.

Oh god. Well at least it's not a limited window of use-move so you don't have to wait for slow animations/being reversed before traversing the pod and hoping HHH is still floored.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

simosimo posted:

Oh god. Well at least it's not a limited window of use-move so you don't have to wait for slow animations/being reversed before traversing the pod and hoping HHH is still floored.

Yes but at that point, HHH becomes practically invincible and keeps trying to hit pedigrees and reverses everything. Plus, you have to charge up another signature if you hit him too much and you have to knock him down to set it up. UGGHHH.

The key is to only ever try it off the back right pod. It just doesn't register otherwise.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Solomonic posted:

Has anybody had a chance to thoroughly play WMMA4 yet, and if so, is it good? I spent a surprisingly long time playing the last one - something about having the 'story' play out emergently rather than having to worry about booking finishes and storylines and all that made it a lot less of a slog than TEW - but that's a lot of cash to drop sight unseen.

I've been playing quite a bit lately. They didn't reinvent the wheel, but in my eyes, it's much more of a step up than 2 to 3 was. A lot of things have been made easier/streamlined. However, 1 night tournaments are now gone, even in unregulated regions. I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I've been a fan since WMMA2.

edit: Oh yeah, there's a 3-month demo of it up. Check it out.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 31, 2014

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I got 2K15 on PS3 for Christmas and while I was having fun playing it, I ran into a huge bug. During the Cena/Punk Showcase, you play as Triple H vs. Punk at N.O.C., and when I complete all the objectives and win the match, nothing happens. It gets stuck on the ring with Triple H standing there and Punk lying down and I can't do anything except try to quit the game and have my PS3 restart itself.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

UndergroundHero posted:

I got 2K15 on PS3 for Christmas and while I was having fun playing it, I ran into a huge bug. During the Cena/Punk Showcase, you play as Triple H vs. Punk at N.O.C., and when I complete all the objectives and win the match, nothing happens. It gets stuck on the ring with Triple H standing there and Punk lying down and I can't do anything except try to quit the game and have my PS3 restart itself.

Apparently this only happend after the updates. So the to get it to work is a pain in the arse. You would have to delete the save and not download the update then complete the showcase mode.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

this game feels more "gently caress you you'll buy it anyway" than previous years and it was already really really bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

this game feels more "gently caress you you'll buy it anyway" than previous years and it was already really really bad

Judging by posts I would say it's probably the worst, especially on nextgen, since the '07 and '08 games.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Which one had the unedited Cena v.o.? Because that was pretty awful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mayostard posted:

Which one had the unedited Cena v.o.? Because that was pretty awful.

Pretty much every one of the games where they relied on VA from the wrestlers had someone who didn't sound like themselves, sounded like they had a cold (JBL), or left in bloopers (Tazz adding in "Who writes this crap?" after a call). Of everyone I think Triple H did the best work on VA and had a storyline that was purestrain Triple H booking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

UndergroundHero posted:

It gets stuck on the ring with Triple H standing there and Punk lying down

Working as intended.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UndergroundHero posted:

God, WWE takes that "HHH mustn't been shown in a weak or vulnerable position" seriously, don't they?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So should I get 2k14 for my new (old) PS3 instead of 2K15? It sounds like between bugs and the CAW limits 15 is a step down? I assume 14 still has its servers up and stuff so I can download CAWs or whatever?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

STAC Goat posted:

So should I get 2k14 for my new (old) PS3 instead of 2K15? It sounds like between bugs and the CAW limits 15 is a step down? I assume 14 still has its servers up and stuff so I can download CAWs or whatever?

I haven't played 2K15, so maybe I'm not so qualified. But, with the absolute bonkers amount of created content on the 2K14 servers and the fact that 2K15 is missing so much (to me, it sucks there's so little legends so I have to use up more CAW slots for them)....it seems 2K15 isn't worth much more than a rental. Especially with all of the time I have invested in setting up Monday Night War/Japan rosters, organizations, and arenas. 2K14 isn't really that bad of a game.

It just isn't really that great....but in comparison to the last 10 years of wrestling games, it's probably the best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I know 2K14 has its problems but I haven't bought a WWE game since like 09 or something so just about anything will probably be revolutionary to me. Wiki says the '13 servers are down, I've read about all the 2K15 problems especially the CAWs slots/Divas, and I'd like to give WWE Universe a try so 2K14 just seems like the natural fit. And as you said, if the servers are up there should be a year+ of content on them vs whatever's shown up on the 2K15 ones.

But I'm brand new to PS3 and this whole generation so I'm never 100% certain about these server/online questions. I just found out randomly last night that I could log into the PSN for free and download a full minor league roster for MLB 14 The Show. So I'm learning.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Depends on how much stuff you're going to make / download tbh. If you really take advantage of 2k14's custom content capacity it will start to freak out in myriad unpleasant ways and you'll probably need to move your data between local and cloud storage pretty frequently to keep it from getting corrupted. 2k15 is much more stable than 2k14 and the PS3 versions are identical with regard to the creation suite, minus finisher creation iirc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

2K14 still has a much better roster and single-player mode than 2K15 as well. And for much cheaper to boot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you've played one Yuke's single player mode you've played them all (though they made the good decision to lead with the Attitude Era). Undeniably better roster, tho.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

The Evolution(?) of WWE Games Moves Animations
The Evolution(?) of WWE Games Character Models

Jubs fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 3, 2015

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

MisterGBH posted:

Apparently this only happend after the updates. So the to get it to work is a pain in the arse. You would have to delete the save and not download the update then complete the showcase mode.

Seriously? Yeah... after going through that bitch and a half NXT mode I think I'll just wait for them to fix it...

Codependent Poster posted:

Working as intended.

Davros1 posted:

God, WWE takes that "HHH mustn't been shown in a weak or vulnerable position" seriously, don't they?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WMMA 4 has this really cool reality tv show feature where you can run your own Ultimate Fighter series. Of course if you have one person with an interesting personality then be prepared for the reports to always say that they were a highlight of the show.

Yeah, put side to side it's far more noticable that the moves look like they have less impact and they don't include any individual touches. But seriously, No Mercy is 14 years old and the moves still are animated pretty well.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 3, 2015