Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Malicious intent but not very good follow through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Smarter move would be to unthread it slightly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Brakleen on the alternator/AC compressor.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

the spyder posted:

What's your MPG on the AWD Ecoboost excape? I'm looking at one this weekend, seeing as I need a 4 door car now.

It has a sweet spot between 65 and 70 where it can get close to 30mpg, anything above it and you're getting around 23-26.

City mileage is decent for an suv but certainly not great. It has great power though and zero turbo lag.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wasabi the J posted:

Brakleen on the alternator/AC compressor.

what does brakleen on the Alternator or AC compressor accomplish?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frank Dillinger posted:

Removes the bearing grease and locks em up.

I know this because I dicked up and did this.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

I suddenly explicitly know why one of my alternators failed.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Wasabi the J posted:

Removes the bearing grease and locks em up.

I know this because I dicked up and did this.

A broken plastic coolant "T" that empties the majority of the cooling system contents onto the a/c compressor pretty much does the same thing. Ask me how I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once got the joy of doing three warranty claims on a car in a row.

1. AC compressor self-immolated. Cause unknown, presumed to be lol Korea. Replaced with new.

2. Alternator stops charging. Cause unknown, presumed to be lol Korea. Replaced with new.

3. Power steering pump starts making noises. Cause: failed seal causing a small leak. Which dripped down onto the alternator. Which dripped down onto the AC compressor.

Guess which of those three I actually did the repair on myself. Conclusion: 90% of dealer techs are useless monkeys with no eyes or reasoning capacity.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Conclusion: 90% of dealer techs are useless monkeys with no eyes or reasoning capacity.

That has been my conclusion also. My favorite was when a "friend" at a subaru parts department called me and asked about installing a certain combination of parts. I had quoted someone for all the same things a week or two earlier, turns out he had gone down there with my estimate, they undercut my parts while upselling him on others with more labor, and then hosed up on the install because it was all aftermarket and didn't fit the same as stock. The dealership ended up having to refund the guy his labor and pay us to fix it.

I don't hold it against them though because I got super drunk at a sema party (open bar) a few years before and accused his boss' girlfriend of being a prostitute.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 3, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hell if I had a nickle for every time I called one of my boss's girlfriends a prostituwaitaminute

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slavvy posted:

VZ's seem to stretch their chains too...
I'd say the 3.6 is just a real princess when it comes to using the right kind of oil. Most people over-estimate the viscosity they need pretty badly, and most oils you find at the hardware store don't meet SN which AFAIK the most recent 3.6's require.
Also, the ZF trans is common to commodore, falcon and BMW. They all leak around that stupid plastic pan that you have to replace every time you remove.
yeah, nah. I did the research on the VZ before I bought it, early ones have the 9mm chain, doesn't stretch. Later on they wanted to quieten it down and were revising the engine all round for SIDI and switched to a 7mm chain both for PI and SI, ie all of them, those are the ones that stretch. Late VZs got caught in that revision, and of course early VEs, but early VZs, not a problem.
Factory oil specs for them at the time (2004) was SL gl3, not much use to recommend SN spec when that didn't exist until 2010, damage has been done and that was my point, too risky to buy a s/h commodore (I just got lucky with getting one for $4750 years ago and it all checked out well enough for the price)
Previous owner used penrite HPR, and while at least fully synthetic, penrite bullshit a lot about their oil, their standards etc. But we know the truth is they use a lot of random products and some mixology they don't back up. Hopefully no damage done and I'll be switching to castrol edge in the future. But I've heard the 3.6L is hard on oil and thins it out a lot due to that, so thinner oil doesn't do it much good, ie choice between 5-30W and 10-40W, go the thicker oil.

Of course I know ZF was in BMW first, my point was ford introduced it first in an au domestic car while GMH were still stuffing around with terrible 4 and 5 spds. Ford 4 and 5spds were terrible too (already covered that), but yeah, my ford 4spd is still better than the VZ 4spd, the falcon with a ZF was better than the VE 5 spd at the time for a competitor, the best holden can do now is claim their trans is now just as good as what the falcon had 6 years ago blah blah etc etc etc for everything. (Just with the ford you have got to fit an air cooler for the ford before warranty runs out, no idea there about the commo...)

Very late edit: What do you know about the "dexos 1" oils? Because that's what GM are pushing now instead of SN-GL5

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 3, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Plankalkuel posted:

Chain vs. Belt very much depends on how you do it, especially today. The belt on a >~2006 Citroen C5 V6 has an expected life span of 250.000 km. The chain on my 1996 Citroen XM V6 will outlive the engine, which is expected to make it past 300.000 at the very least.

On the other hand, if you own the correct engine variant VW Golf, then you do timing chain changes after 80.000 km.

I am assuming that chain design/lifetime has improved over the last 20-30 years?. I've had two 1980 saabs which needed chains after 100-150k/20 years as they stretched past what the tensioner could cope with. In one case it was a non turbo and needed a chain before it needed a head gasket... I've done chains on old petrol landies too

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I don't hold it against them though because I got super drunk at a sema party (open bar) a few years before and accused his boss' girlfriend of being a prostitute.
If someone's going to insist on trying to push leasing onto everyone who buys from them, I'd be happy to know they practice what they preach.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

genuinebald posted:

Yeah, I saw people ramming a screwdriver through the filter, but you are supposed to throw it away afterwards... not reinstall it.

We had a filter so tight from Valvoline that we had to hammer a screwdriver into a jack handle and ram it through the filter. Even then it was a pain in the dick to get off. Never did get the screwdriver out of the jack handle either, it's now a zombie/customer defense weapon.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Tomarse posted:

I am assuming that chain design/lifetime has improved over the last 20-30 years?. I've had two 1980 saabs which needed chains after 100-150k/20 years as they stretched past what the tensioner could cope with. In one case it was a non turbo and needed a chain before it needed a head gasket... I've done chains on old petrol landies too

I'm sure the design has been improved in some engineer's office but will never see the light of day. The ecoboost engines on the F-150s are developing a reputation for a stretched timing chain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fo3 posted:

yeah, nah. I did the research on the VZ before I bought it, early ones have the 9mm chain, doesn't stretch. Later on they wanted to quieten it down and were revising the engine all round for SIDI and switched to a 7mm chain both for PI and SI, ie all of them, those are the ones that stretch. Late VZs got caught in that revision, and of course early VEs, but early VZs, not a problem.
Factory oil specs for them at the time (2004) was SL gl3, not much use to recommend SN spec when that didn't exist until 2010, damage has been done and that was my point, too risky to buy a s/h commodore (I just got lucky with getting one for $4750 years ago and it all checked out well enough for the price)
Previous owner used penrite HPR, and while at least fully synthetic, penrite bullshit a lot about their oil, their standards etc. But we know the truth is they use a lot of random products and some mixology they don't back up. Hopefully no damage done and I'll be switching to castrol edge in the future. But I've heard the 3.6L is hard on oil and thins it out a lot due to that, so thinner oil doesn't do it much good, ie choice between 5-30W and 10-40W, go the thicker oil.

Of course I know ZF was in BMW first, my point was ford introduced it first in an au domestic car while GMH were still stuffing around with terrible 4 and 5 spds. Ford 4 and 5spds were terrible too (already covered that), but yeah, my ford 4spd is still better than the VZ 4spd, the falcon with a ZF was better than the VE 5 spd at the time for a competitor, the best holden can do now is claim their trans is now just as good as what the falcon had 6 years ago blah blah etc etc etc for everything. (Just with the ford you have got to fit an air cooler for the ford before warranty runs out, no idea there about the commo...)

Very late edit: What do you know about the "dexos 1" oils? Because that's what GM are pushing now instead of SN-GL5

Interesting! Aussie cars are somewhat of a mystery to me because I get to work on them so infrequently and every time I do they have some retarded problem that most normal brands have outgrown. I've seen several VE's with a stretched chain and two VZ's which must both have been built quite late in the run. The 3.6 not liking thinner oil isn't unique; lots of japanese cars seem to burn their factory recommended viscosity really quickly and are better off with slightly thicker stuff. Disclaimer: most of these cars are jap imports and therefore half hosed already.

The commie 6 speeds aren't outright terrible but they aren't great; every holden trans seems to suffer a lot more behind the LSx though. Especially the HSV's. I think they're just fragile and the 3.6 not having much low-end grunt makes them last a bit longer than they do in a falcon (heavier car with a gruntier engine).

I don't know jack poo poo about dexos beyond AC Delco's rep trying to shill it like crazy for some reason.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

We had a filter so tight from Valvoline that we had to hammer a screwdriver into a jack handle and ram it through the filter. Even then it was a pain in the dick to get off. Never did get the screwdriver out of the jack handle either, it's now a zombie/customer defense weapon.

This is my favorite kind of oil filter tool:

http://www.harborfreight.com/Universal-3-Jaw-Adjustable-Oil-Filter-Wrench-69021.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I tried making a fancy post for this and nothing felt righ so heres the basics. Dude blew a caliper, slapped front pads only, bled the system with lucas oil stop leak to fix the caliper and brought it to us as is because he thought there still might be air in the lines because it doesnt stop very well even with the new front pads. He'd like us to bleed it again.

Btw he drove it here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stonk:

Please tell me Washington laws are such that you can hold that car until he replaces the entire brake system.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Wait, so the guy put a 'radweld'/ leak fix type product in the master cylinder ?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No that oil honey poo poo if you need to have 200w gear oil in your tired rear end crank case.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I am as terrified as I am curious of that car. I mean, they likely fixed something else by this point and the car might be a gold mine of content for this thread.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I tried making a fancy post for this and nothing felt righ so heres the basics. Dude blew a caliper, slapped front pads only, bled the system with lucas oil stop leak to fix the caliper and brought it to us as is because he thought there still might be air in the lines because it doesnt stop very well even with the new front pads. He'd like us to bleed it again.

Btw he drove it here.

*Writes the guy up for new master, lines, CPR all around (ABS module if applicable) and then puts it back together and pulls it around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mother of god :psyduck:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dear god, that's impressively hosed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
To paraphrase Charles Babbage, I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such behavior.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

*Writes the guy up for new master, lines, CPR all around (ABS module if applicable) and then puts it back together and pulls it around.

poo poo, if that goop by the hoses is any indication, the pads are probably soaked in grease too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

oh loving poo poo

Thanks PO!

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

No that oil honey poo poo if you need to have 200w gear oil in your tired rear end crank case.

That's even more alarming, I realise 'people' are stupid, but what would it even occur to someone competent enough to know how to swap brake pads (competent is relative of course) that sticking some 'no more noises' in with the brake fluid would be a good idea ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

oh loving poo poo

Thanks PO!

You probably weren't gonna use your organs for anything important anyways.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

cursedshitbox posted:

oh loving poo poo

Thanks PO!

What am I looking at here

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's a motorcycle, looks like the bolt that holds the handlebars to the front... fork... thingy is backed off like 6 turns.

:stare:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
aaaaand the bearings are loose as gently caress.

Pretty sure I was doing 90mph on this like 3 days ago.

E: that nut holds the forks to the bike.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

poo poo, if that goop by the hoses is any indication, the pads are probably soaked in grease too.

CPR commonly used for calipers pads & rotors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now with bonus video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=streLQdB6AE

grease was new. Bearings look alright, races, not so much.
Repacked and reassmbled. movement is smooth, but I'm replacing the bearings/races anyways.

E: VVVV: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 4, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well he refused a tow truck and drove away

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

oh loving poo poo

Thanks PO!

Psshhh what do you need to steer for anyway. Just lean the bike bro.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm guessing your PO was the 'welp, pressing races is hard, I'll just toss the new races and replace just the bearing' type.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

AAAAAAAAAUUUUGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I hope you make folks like that sign a waiver indemnifying you before they take the vehicle back.

Will he wind up in gaol when his unmaintained deathmobile kills/maims someone, or will he just try to sue you because you let him leave in an unsafe vehicle?

Or does the US not work that way?