Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ah, so they went with the SMT/Persona (some of them) method.

Yet another thing SMTIV removed, but in that case I think it worked reasonably well. You can still keep fighting when you've lost your main character, but you lose a few pretty important support functions that it's implied he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've kept going in Alien past when you get the flamethrower and while parts of it are way less frustrating than others, the flamethrower really does not do much to make it any better. You would think that after the alien gets repeatedly lit on fire for going after you that it would maybe care about something besides you in the entire universe and go after easier prey. But none of the alien's reactions imply "gently caress I'm on fire I should go find something else that does not make me be on fire." It just says "oh no the mean woman put me in timeout and I now must leave for the requisite 10 seconds but then immediately return because I know I am invincible."

There's nothing you can do to keep the thing from always staying within 30 meters of you at all times and magically knowing which room you're in, even if you leave no evidence at all that you've moved from one end of the area to the other. Then if you do have to use the flamethrower it will be back as if nothing had happened within the minute to waste more of your fuel. If the developers were trying to make this be the first time it feels like you can actually hurt the alien and show it's vulnerable or something, they pretty much created the opposite effect. I suspect the intention was more of a get out of jail free card when you're about to get ganked, but the alien's reactions to it just do not make sense.

I've reached the point where the alien gets launched into space on the lab and it's been the most refreshing thing in the game yet because I can actually make use of the other 80% of the game mechanics, which never surface when half of the experience is sitting in a locker while I check my phone in real life because there's nothing to do but wait.

Yeah I was right there with you on this one when I plowed through the game last week after picking it up on the sale. I don't know who greenlighted the save system in that game but it's pretty terrible, having to do a whole first half of a level over and over again is not a fun engaging experience, it's just busywork. Amnesia had it right, there should be no progress penalty, the scare/death is enough of a 'penalty' for failure, anything further is just pissing in your eye.

I had to crank down the difficulty from Hard too, but even then the Alien is pretty much always there.

Also I disliked the random nature of some of the drops, if you get screwed on flamethrower fuel drops in some of the later segments, it makes the final bits a lot more difficult.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

That scene in inquisition isn't nearly as bad as origins, so I'll give it a pass. I am also thankful there are no intensely awkward sex cutscenes, another thing that origins had and inquisition does not.

This is a pretty bold claim (nws)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The voice clips used by characters in Hyrule Warriors are driving me insane, every five seconds one of the Hyrule Captains lets out a really loud "Eyeahaaa" and since these guys love to get beaten up, you'll hear it near constantly, especially on the longer missions.
Lana also has her own yell, as does everyone, but her's is the true evil, as it's high pitched and makes me see red, and since the AI is REALLY BAD in Hyrule Warriors, you'll hear these yells all the loving time!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

This is a pretty bold claim (nws)

Sera is the worst person in the game so she doesn't count.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sera is the worst person in the game so she doesn't count.

Yeah, a scene where Sera is fully clothing isn't any less awkward.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall in Dragon Age 2 twin dagger rogues would automatically home in on targets when auto-attacking, doing a quick dash/teleport dealy. But in Inquisition they do no such thing. Not even special abilities do this unless it's one that's specifically movement based or you pause the game and use tactical view. This was fine when I was a Mage with a ton of AoE spells that I needed to set up, but it's annoying to have my backstab miss because the target shuffled a half step forward.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Regular attacks do home in sometimes, but from what I can tell you have to be a minimum distance from a target before it does the close in dash. Fortunately, it usually doesn't trigger a cooldown or use stamina if a move doesn't connect, but that's not the case with all powers (especially AoEs).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It really bothers me that after the 3D modelled beards in Saints Row 2, the ones in 3 and 4 all look like they're painted on. Impossible to make a wizard this way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

It really bothers me that after the 3D modelled beards in Saints Row 2, the ones in 3 and 4 all look like they're painted on. Impossible to make a wizard this way.

It really bothers me when there is only five o'clock shadow or giant wildman beard. I just want a neatly trimmed beard goddamnit. There always fifteen different sideburns but never a normal beard option!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK, who's the joker that decided that Far Cry is now going to take place in the Birdemic Cinematic Universe?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I currently cannot aim down iron sights in (PC, unmodded vanilla) FO:NV and while it's a minor thing (since between VATS and hip firing I'm not having much trouble) it is annoying that the game is apparently so chock full of bugs I can't find anything about my specific issue online at all. It's like it'll flash to iron sights aiming for a single frame the second I depress the mouse button, but it was working fine for two hours prior to that. Ugh.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

I currently cannot aim down iron sights in (PC, unmodded vanilla) FO:NV and while it's a minor thing (since between VATS and hip firing I'm not having much trouble) it is annoying that the game is apparently so chock full of bugs I can't find anything about my specific issue online at all. It's like it'll flash to iron sights aiming for a single frame the second I depress the mouse button, but it was working fine for two hours prior to that. Ugh.
I'd highly recommend looking into some of the mods available on the Nexus, if you haven't already. There are some mods that do a great job of fixing the glitchy nightmare that is FO:NV.

I remember once I had a flamethrower in the game. Then when I swapped between my different weapons, an extra flamethrower would spawn on screen and start orbiting my character. And every time I swapped weapons, I'd get another planetary flamethrower.

The flamethrowers ended up flying into the sky after I spawned too many of them.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

OK, who's the joker that decided that Far Cry is now going to take place in the Birdemic Cinematic Universe?
It doesn't. Those are the modern-day descendents of Cliff Racers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've not played Far Cry 4 but I highly doubt this. There's no way that in TYOOL 2015 there is a video game enemy as utterly loving abhorrent and irritating as the Cliff Racer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

While the PC version of One Finger Death Punch is an awesome title, the mobile version of it is a slightly stripped freemium version of it with ads. Not the worst crime, but its awful that there's no premium option to get rid of the ads and have an experience closer to the PC version.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What's just nuts is that over half the time I meet Golden Path, they're engaged in a gunfight, and I think "oh poo poo, Royal Army's here!" and every time they're just fighting an eagle. It is literally Birdemic.

Of course it's not really bugging me, if anything it's amplifying the whole FC4 experience of "What if FC3 was loving dumb and gave exactly zero fucks about being anything other than an enjoyable game to play?" Basically what I'm saying is that FC4 is to FC3 as Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock, and I mean that as a (somewhat backhanded) compliment.

(and this isn't the thread for it, but god drat I would throw money at a studio that would make a Jurassic Park game in the style of Far Cry.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I've not played Far Cry 4 but I highly doubt this. There's no way that in TYOOL 2015 there is a video game enemy as utterly loving abhorrent and irritating as the Cliff Racer.
They're less persistent over long distances, but also aggressive and damaging enough to be more irritating in the moment. FC4 just doesn't sit there going "You can't rest here. An enemy is nearby."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ryoshi posted:

I found a few people who had this problem but in their cases it was the mouse button loving up instead of the game. Is there another one you could test it with? Maybe it's wearing out and reached its limit sometime while you were playing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DStecks posted:

(and this isn't the thread for it, but god drat I would throw money at a studio that would make a Jurassic Park game in the style of Far Cry.)

Oh drat I didn't realize until you said how very good an idea this is.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DStecks posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that FC4 is to FC3 as Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock, and I mean that as a (somewhat backhanded) compliment.

It's actually the Brotherhood to rear end Creed 2.

The camera in Wasteland 2 is so goddamn clumsy and awkward and lumbering. I rather think a fixed camera position would have been easier and forced the team to put more of an emphasis on aesthetics (poo poo is UGLY in this game)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I finally got around to playing The Walking Dead: Season 2 and my piece of poo poo laptop can only run the game for like 15 minutes without overheating. The game does not work very well as a series of short vignettes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Xander77 posted:

It's actually the Brotherhood to rear end Creed 2.

The camera in Wasteland 2 is so goddamn clumsy and awkward and lumbering. I rather think a fixed camera position would have been easier and forced the team to put more of an emphasis on aesthetics (poo poo is UGLY in this game)

I'm kind of stunned how ugly the game is. Shadowrun Returns managed to look good on a smaller budget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

Good beards in character customizers seem to be getting rarer, so many games opt for a lovely texture job that looks like the character rubbed some charcoal on their chin.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Good beards in character customizers seem to be getting rarer, so many games opt for a lovely texture job that looks like the character rubbed some charcoal on their chin.
:byodood: WE NEED THE EXTRA PIXELS SO WE CAN REACH 1080p60FPS
Because you know, instead of actual quality art assets or making a nice/interesting/cool visual style we need more p's and funspersecond.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

I usually dont care too much about graphics, but W2 looks so goddamn bad I haven't been able to bring myself to play it for more than an hour.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I usually dont care too much about graphics, but W2 looks so goddamn bad I haven't been able to bring myself to play it for more than an hour.

Seriously, I can play Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky which is a PSP port or any number of retro games but there's something just incredibly offputting about Wasteland 2's art direction.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Croccers posted:

Because you know, instead of actual quality art assets or making a nice/interesting/cool visual style we need more p's and funspersecond.

I personally value good resolution and FPS pretty highly, actually.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

A while back in the terrible mods thread in games somebody posted a mod where for every cliff racer you killed, two more would immediately spawn. I never played Morrowind but it was a thing of terrifying beauty and power.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Child of Light doesn't give its monsters names. Ubisoft, guys, your game is very pretty but it's like you've never played an RPG before.

And hooooly gently caress, those rhymes are awful. They're usually just cute in an inept sort of way, but there are certain points (especially with the Confessions, which are kind of like optional codex entries) where the language and syntax is so mangled it's almost impossible to parse sentences.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers posted:

We kinda do. I mean, do you remember the N64 days? 320x240p and often chugging around 24fps. And the games looked like poo poo to boot.

Modern consoles have more than enough extra horsepower to get up to 1080p60fps and still have good looking games... well, Nintendo games do at least. Dunno why everybody else in the industry doesn't want to bother.

To get back on topic, I'm really, really sick of having to choose my controller settings everytime I switch game modes in Smash Bros U. Because I often forget, then I start tapping to jump and blocking when I want to grab and then I remember I forgot and get really mad because now I have to either quit out and set my controller how I like it or carry on with annoying control problems. I don't remember any other game in the series having this problem so I hope they patch it soon.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Croccers posted:

This, but unironically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Croccers posted:

Those things have absolutely no real correlation with developers choosing ugly, bland art direction, and wanting a game to run at a smooth, visually pleasing framerate is not entirely unreasonable and can in fact improve the game for a large number of people. I can't really imagine Metal Gear Rising feeling nearly as smooth to control at anything less than 40, myself.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

A while back in the terrible mods thread in games somebody posted a mod where for every cliff racer you killed, two more would immediately spawn. I never played Morrowind but it was a thing of terrifying beauty and power.

It's pretty fun to see it in action. I think some goon made it actually.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Canonically, there are no dragons on the island because the cliff racers ran them out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

It's pretty fun to see it in action. I think some goon made it actually.
A goon also invented cliff racers, to no-one's surprise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

And hooooly gently caress, those rhymes are awful. They're usually just cute in an inept sort of way, but there are certain points (especially with the Confessions, which are kind of like optional codex entries) where the language and syntax is so mangled it's almost impossible to parse sentences.

The script had a French writer which probably explains a lot of the oddness to it.

The only bit where I thought the rhyming scheme was cute was with the female jester and how she keeps screwing it up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Canonically, there are no dragons on the island because the cliff racers ran them out.

Canonically cliff racers were also driven to extinction by the dude you first meet on the prison boat. I guess people hated them so much the devs threw that little tidbit into Skyrim.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Canonically cliff racers were also driven to extinction by the dude you first meet on the prison boat. I guess people hated them so much the devs threw that little tidbit into Skyrim.
Doesn't matter because canonically, the whole island is blown up by a meteor.

It is a stupid series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize until you said how very good an idea this is.
The last time I remember seeing a dinosaur in a game was the first Tomb Raider, followed by Dino Crisis on the PSX. We are so overdue for a good dinosaur-themed survival horror/adventure videogame. But I think the videogame industry's more keen on producing more sequels to Assassin's Call of Creed.

And on the topic of things dragging videogames down- I just re-fired up Red Alert 2. I used to love this game growing up, but I don't know how I had the patience for the horrible UI. Maybe I'm becoming a blind old gamer, but I gave up after I started losing my 5 pixel-wide units on the large map. I lasted ~20 minutes in my last replay of RA2 before rage-quitting after I couldn't find the tanks that I scattered across the map.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 4, 2015