Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
The seminal game for the Nintendo 64, as rebuilt and remastered on the 3DS. The visuals have been improved with more detail and character models that more closely resemble their intended appearance, controls have been tightened to the point that first-person aiming is no longer a detriment but actually fun and accurate, and overall the experience feels like what Ocarina of Time should have been from the start. Yes, there are still flaws - it was one of the first proper 3D action adventure games - but most of the reasons OoT doesn't hold up today have been ironed out for the 3DS.

The story is such:
Groose has finally been called to his own adventure!
Groose is a lonely boy living with the Kokiri, a child-like race that never ages. Their guardian deity, The Great Deku Tree, has tasked Groose with saving the surrounding land of Hyrule from the evil desert bandit-turned-King of Evil, Ganondorf. Groose must travel across Hyrule, through the myriad of civilizations that dot it, and even through time itself, to stop Ganondorf from taking over the world. Also rock people, fish people, desert Amazons, and androgynous ninjas. It's Ocarina of Time. IN 3D!
There's no way to show off the 3DS's 3D effect, at least not as of this LP.

---The LP---
Since this is a 3DS game, and the touch screen holds the inventory, map, and not much else worth looking at, the bottom screen will be kept visible but out of the way. For important cutscenes, it will be cut out entirely, or it may be brought forward should we need to see it closer. Dynamics!
Also 100% LP, show off everything I can, et cetera.

---Additional Links Grooses---
My previous Zelda LPs: Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Majora's Mask.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start screen cinematic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By Princess Futon)

(By ZyloTheWolfbane)

(Some horrors I drew for Faerie Fortune's blind thread that never got used)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm always up for more 3DS Let's Plays if only to prove its possible to make something better than shaky cell phone camera footage.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Agreed Geo.

I actually played OoT after MM though I never played the 3DS version before so this will be interesting just as a comparison to both the original N64 and Master Quest versions.

I never Navi annoying either even if I did prefer Tatl & Midna, I would argue that Elzo is actually worse than Fi since he's just an rear end in a top hat to the player while Fi at least is trying to help even if she can be annoying.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I have never played OoT somehow. I know I know, I am a pariah.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fun fact:

OOT (N64 Cart) Render Size: 320 x 240

3DS Render Size: 400×240 pixel

So this means the 'bitrate' is better than the N64. :v:

Of course, the Virtual Console and The Collector Disc both doubled the render size to 640x480, so that's what most people remember.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

SystemLogoff posted:

Fun fact:

OOT (N64 Cart) Render Size: 320 x 240

3DS Render Size: 400×240 pixel

So this means the 'bitrate' is better than the N64. :v:

Of course, the Virtual Console and The Collector Disc both doubled the render size to 640x480, so that's what most people remember.

Is that why the OoT on the Gamecube disc was streched and really blurry polys? Wait, there were two GCN OoTs. One was master quest.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Silegna posted:

Is that why the OoT on the Gamecube disc was streched and really blurry polys? Wait, there were two GCN OoTs. One was master quest.

That's mostly because running something 640x480 on anything besides an older CRT does not look great.

CRT TVs hid a lot of sins. (Even in gamecube games, take TTYD and it's texture compression)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
A broken stick is still useable, but it doesn't have any of the power of a whole stick. You're still forced to use it with two hands and it has an even shorter range, so good luck with that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Fixed the upload of the start screen cinematics. I forgot to remove the noise gate for the original upload.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
First thing I noticed was the smoother models and graphical upgrades; this is amazing looking compared to what I remember. Jeeeeeeeeze.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gridlocked posted:

First thing I noticed was the smoother models and graphical upgrades; this is amazing looking compared to what I remember. Jeeeeeeeeze.

Yeah unlike some other remastered versions of games OoT3D actually did get updated model and texture files so it really does look significantly better than the original. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Gyroscope aiming works wonderfully, but I really don't understand why they had to add that to the mode where you hold L without targetting anything. It's really disorienting and makes precise movement with the notchless control stick even more difficult than it normally is.

Anyway, I remembered Grezzo did something to the damage values of the Deku Stick, and this claim

Cheez posted:

A broken stick is still useable, but it doesn't have any of the power of a whole stick. You're still forced to use it with two hands and it has an even shorter range, so good luck with that.
in particular sounded pretty weird to me, so I went and tested the whole deal myself to be absolutely sure.

Damage required to take Gohma down:
- 10 Kokiri Sword slashes
- 5 Kokiri Sword jump slashes
- 5 Deku Stick slashes
- 1 intact and 4 broken Deku Stick jump slashes
- 5 intact Deku Stick jump slashes

So, for whatever reason they nerfed the stick jump slashes but not the regular ones. Whether it's broken or not doesn't matter.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Weird. I don't know why they wouldn't want people to do that when they're already good at the game and know what they're doing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't think you know what bitrate means, ThornBrain.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Groose is loose in the castle, and he accidentally awesomes his way through the guards right to the Princess.

That banner font does not like Y's. :shrug:

^ Yeah I was thinking more framerate.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

You know what Zelda? Your a racist. Just because he's a gerudo he's evil now? Maybe that is just how their eyes look. You ever think of that? Maybe he is trying to save the world from a calamity and realizes that he needs to hurry, you ever think of that?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually as shown in multiple games the Gerudos themselves aren't innately evil at all.

Just the male one.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What's more it's not even being a Gerudo that makes Ganondorf evil, remember that he is the incarnation of Demise's wrath and the personified embodiment of the curse Demise placed on both Link and Zelda.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Chimera-gui posted:

What's more it's not even being a Gerudo that makes Ganondorf evil, remember that he is the incarnation of Demise's wrath and the personified embodiment of the curse Demise placed on both Link and Zelda.

Never liked this explanation. Kinda wish it would get retconned away.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Prior to Demise Ganondorf was just the one male Gerudo who gets born every thousand years or some such and also happened to be a dark sorcerer of tremendous power seeking the triforce for personal gain and it was never really explained if every male Gerudo is like that or what the hell is going on there so I'm honestly not sure if it really changes anything.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Prior to Ganondorf, Ganon was just some evil pig guy who probably knew magic and had a thing about being resurrected a lot.

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time is the Gerudu male born once every 100 years and just happens to be possessed by or is the reincarnation of Demise. That's fine by me. The character is still their own and maybe even more tragic because of it. Maybe the next game won't have Ganon at all. Or just some poor rear end in a top hat who is Demise reborn and turns into a horrible pig monster. That would be fine too. Maybe that version of Ganon is Hylian or something. The Demise origin does allow for other villains besides Ganon which I am totally cool with.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

roybot9000 posted:

Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time is the Gerudu male born once every 100 years and just happens to be possessed by or is the reincarnation of Demise. That's fine by me. The character is still their own and maybe even more tragic because of it. Maybe the next game won't have Ganon at all. Or just some poor rear end in a top hat who is Demise reborn and turns into a horrible pig monster. That would be fine too. Maybe that version of Ganon is Hylian or something. The Demise origin does allow for other villains besides Ganon which I am totally cool with.

Well Ganondorf himself shows up multiple times in later games as well so it's probable that the stuff about 'Gerudo male born once every 100 years' was actually a myth and that the so called 'Gerudo male' was in fact always just Demise reincarnating over and over while trying and failing to get at the Triforce. 'Ganon' would then be what Ganondorf becomes when he taps fully into his power as Demise's reincarnation which explains why he turns into a giant demonic monstrosity, though not why said monstrosity is also a pig.

Afaik the whole 'Gerudo male born every 100 years' thing is never mentioned again in any work outside of OoT and we never see any male Gerudos other than Ganondorf who isn't technically a Gerudo at all.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
Ganondorf was mentioned in Link to the Past where the back story was that he was the King of Thieves. I can't remember if it's because he entered the Golden Land, where you transform into a form that resembles your desires/personality, or because he touched the tri-force, which transformed him into a monster to resemble his desires. Anyways, Ganondorf transformed into Ganon, and you never encounter the former.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Was probably a bit of both; Ganondorf did pick up the Triforce of Power and we all know the thing about Power and corruption.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
And then there's that whole thing in Wind Waker where he admits he didn't even start out evil, he just wanted a better life for the Gerudo people and got WAY carried away.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

roybot9000 posted:

Vaati?

E: Zelda Wiki tells me that a fan theory popped up that Ghirahim was hit by Demise's curse and Vaati is Ghirahim reincarnated. :raise:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 3, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Part of me suspects the Hyrule Historia was released to crush fan theories like that, it's a good book mind. :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Vaati?

E: Zelda Wiki tells me that a fan theory popped up that Ghirahim was hit by Demise's curse and Vaati is Ghirahim reincarnated. :raise:

That would explain why Vaati is so Fabulous.

Batmarde
Oct 5, 2010

Bawk! Bawk !

Carbon dioxide posted:

Vaati?

Wasn't Vaati just a minish corrupted by a wizard hat or is that not canon because Capcom

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Batmarde posted:

Wasn't Vaati just a minish corrupted by a wizard hat or is that not canon because Capcom

The Hyrule Historia says Vaati was Ezlo's apprentice who courted the evil within the hearts of humans and fulfilled his wishes of becoming an evil sorcerer, made by Capcom or not, it's all canon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

About the only Zelda games not canon are the Phillips CDI games. But both Oracle games and Minish Cap which were made by Capcom are fully canon.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

About the only Zelda games not canon are the Phillips CDI games. But both Oracle games and Minish Cap which were made by Capcom are fully canon.

Oh for Din's Sake. I played those CD-i games. You just brought memories to the surface....where's the mind bleach?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Judge Tesla posted:

The Hyrule Historia says Vaati was Ezlo's apprentice who courted the evil within the hearts of humans and fulfilled his wishes of becoming an evil sorcerer, made by Capcom or not, it's all canon.

Yeah Vaati is like the only major antagonist in a Zelda game that has nothing whatsoever to do with Ganon\Demise. He's just an evil sorcerer.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah Vaati is like the only major antagonist in a Zelda game that has nothing whatsoever to do with Ganon\Demise. He's just an evil sorcerer.

*Cough* Four Swords Adventures *Cough*. Then again, I don't think that one is canon.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Silegna posted:

*Cough* Four Swords Adventures *Cough*. Then again, I don't think that one is canon.

Wasn't that Vaati again? I thought that one was Vaati, shows how much attention I paid.

e: Oh right Ganon puppets Vaati in Four Swords, wow I completely forgot Ganon even showed up in that one.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

^ Vaati is presented as the main villain, but in a move that everyone familiar with Zelda games, Ganon was behind Vaati's revival.

Silegna posted:

It's considered canon, but it occupies a weird place as apparently it's placed after Twilight Princess (despite it having A Link To The Past and "Toon Link" aesthetics). It also features a ganon that reincarnated in much the same way that Link and Zelda reincarnate (rather then just sealed away).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Don't lean too heavily on Hyrule Historia. Speaking as a Zelda fan and details nut, the chronology they put in has a whiff of "we had to put these somewhere" with some of its choices, Four Swords Adventures in particular. The easiest answer is Zelda wasn't meant to have as rich a lore as something like the Elder Scrolls, so it's not going to be as logically and canonically sound as some of us want it to be.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I've always operated on the idea that there is just one legend, but it gets told in different ways. You go talk to some historian in Faraway Land A, and you get Link to the Past as the legend. Head over to Faraway Land B, and some old guy will recount Twilight Princess as the way it was. Then Nintendo created the cycle of reincarnation explanation, and now everything is a bit of a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

ThornBrain posted:

Don't lean too heavily on Hyrule Historia. Speaking as a Zelda fan and details nut, the chronology they put in has a whiff of "we had to put these somewhere" with some of its choices, Four Swords Adventures in particular. The easiest answer is Zelda wasn't meant to have as rich a lore as something like the Elder Scrolls, so it's not going to be as logically and canonically sound as some of us want it to be.
The book was designed specifically to make nerds stop talking about Zelda timelines. It failed.

• Locked thread