Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

drat straight. If I don't have full control of my mobile computer then I may as well just have two cans and some string.

I got it all sorted. It's nice now that I have it the way I want it. Hopefully I never have to mess with it again.
I would have to imagine if the carrier gets the opportunity to insert apps into its own partition when it sets up, it would also get that opportunity later on down the line unless they're relying on the Play Store to distribute updates to those apps.

I think that's something we just don't know yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Eej posted:

Got a quick question, how is the Alpha compared to the S5? Looking at it for someone who is upgrading from an S3 but isn't really enamoured with the gradually increasing size of Samsung's flagship phones.

Its build quality is much nicer, metal frame instead of all plastic, but it has vastly inferior battery life and camera, and notably worse screen. Get the Z3 Compact if they want a smaller phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
It doesn't work with the Nexus 6 yet.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
For anyone that cares, websites are posting internal documents saying the Galaxy Note Edge is coming to Verizon on the 8th.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hotsauce posted:

Try Swappa.com

Edit: that is if you are in the US and don't mind a barely used one. Or you could apply for the Sony credit card and they will credit your statement $200 with your first $500+ purchase. That would net a new Z3c down to $329. Don't do this if you are religiously against a credit inquiry though. If you aren't buying a house/car in the near future it's worth it for some to save $200.

Hell yeah thanks for the Sony card idea!

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Finally received my tylt vu from that half off sale a month ago. It's legit

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Once upon a time, I rooted and stripped out all the manufacturer apps from an LG G3 (system apps). As in deleted them totally (not disabled). It was smooth sailing, until I reset it to, well, sell the thing. Factory reset...results? It was totally, 100% hosed. Would not boot. Wouldn't work. I was about to give it to Goodwill until I finally found some shady LG software.exe online to re-image it. This is a photo of sausage being made.

By the grace of something, it flashed to factory defaults and a stock system image. Godspeed, sir.

Nexus 6 now, right? Did you put the Note4 in SA Mart,yet?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
edit: wrong thread

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 3, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

z06ck posted:

Yup, got mine too. Its so nice not having to line up my phone on the charger
:allears:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bob A Feet posted:

Agreed. I have so much damage around my Note 3 port from trying to jam in the plug.

Tech nerd heaven right now

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Is the N6 still fubar on AT&T? Didn't have any at the local store and claimed the radio bug to be the issue. I thought that would have been resolved by now. I was surprised because I hadn't seen it mentioned recently and was thinking about using a next upgrade to get rid of my S4.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Agreed. I have so much damage around my Note 3 port from trying to jam in the plug.

Tech nerd heaven right now

It charges through a case okay? Was thinking of picking one up, as my Nexus 5 Qi charger is useless now as it doesn't charge through a case on the Nexus 6.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Its build quality is much nicer, metal frame instead of all plastic, but it has vastly inferior battery life and camera, and notably worse screen. Get the Z3 Compact if they want a smaller phone.

The screen on the Alpha is actually surprisingly bad - not just compared to other similar phones but much cheaper stuff like the Moto G and even the Nexus 4. It's the first thing you'll notice when picking one up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

Is the N6 still fubar on AT&T? Didn't have any at the local store and claimed the radio bug to be the issue. I thought that would have been resolved by now. I was surprised because I hadn't seen it mentioned recently and was thinking about using a next upgrade to get rid of my S4.

I got mine last night. Once I got it set up it's been great. Their site seems to suggest it's online only, but when I dropped in on one on a whim they had one.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

It charges through a case okay? Was thinking of picking one up, as my Nexus 5 Qi charger is useless now as it doesn't charge through a case on the Nexus 6.

I have the same phone and case as you. My phone charges fine on both of my Tylt Vu's

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My Nexus 6 is still on 5.0.0 :(

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

myron cope posted:

My Nexus 6 is still on 5.0.0 :(

So sideload the update

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

I have the same phone and case as you. My phone charges fine on both of my Tylt Vu's

Nice, gonna pick one up!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

It didn't work with a Ringke Slim but is great with the Diztronic.

Beware of $20 shipping fees though. :canada:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nexus 6 now, right? Did you put the Note4 in SA Mart,yet?

Er, no longer. I didn't like the Nexus 6. Was just a huuuge phone with no real identity.

Sold it, bought another Note 4.

Yes I'm aware the Note 4 isn't tiny, but it *feels* smaller. Plus it actually has software that matches the large display. If anything, it's worth it to not need to touch cum stained hotel remote controls.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bob A Feet posted:

Yup. Not sure which qi charger I'm taking to my desk at work though, the Vu or the lovely cheap 2 year old flat one. The vu is nicer but doesn't do a good job of charging my N7 (with how I have to orient the stand)

Be nice if the Vu had the front part but went straight down at that point instead of being so much deeper than it needs to be.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

z06ck posted:

I'm still trying to find somewhere in Australia that stocks it, everyone says out of stock with no ETA.

I think I want one enough I'll just pay international shipping from somewhere at this point, even if our dollar's worth poo poo at the moment.

Where are you guys buying yours?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So my At&t N6 continued to randomly freeze. At one point the search process froze and locked down the phone. Yesterday I got the totally unlocked one from the Motorola store that I forgot I ordered and so far no freezes. Hopefully it holds up as I really like the phone and lollipop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What was that new Moto Skip-like thing they came out with a couple months back? I can't remember the name of it, and can't find it on their site.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hooah posted:

What was that new Moto Skip-like thing they came out with a couple months back? I can't remember the name of it, and can't find it on their site.

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm still trying to find somewhere in Australia that stocks it, everyone says out of stock with no ETA.

I think I want one enough I'll just pay international shipping from somewhere at this point, even if our dollar's worth poo poo at the moment.

Where are you guys buying yours?

I bought mine from the source (tylt.com)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

z06ck posted:

I bought mine from the source (tylt.com)

Not really an option for me unfortunately, they just point me at Amazon UK where it's ~80 GBP which is $150 AUD/$120 USD which is a bit more markup than I'd prefer (plus international shipping on top)

I'll keep looking and hope one of the places I've looked at gets more stock eventually.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Has anyone here owned an HTC One Max? I might buy one soon (good deal for a huge phone with good enough specs) and I'm curious if I should avoid it for any reason. I've read the reviews, and I'm fine with the drawbacks (mainly, it's huge), but personal accounts sometimes hash out differently.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Has anyone here owned an HTC One Max? I might buy one soon (good deal for a huge phone with good enough specs) and I'm curious if I should avoid it for any reason. I've read the reviews, and I'm fine with the drawbacks (mainly, it's huge), but personal accounts sometimes hash out differently.
Doesn't the Max strip out all the good poo poo in the regular One hoping you won't notice? Like it has lovely instead of good speakers and removes OIS from the camera or something like that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

LastInLine posted:

Doesn't the Max strip out all the good poo poo in the regular One hoping you won't notice? Like it has lovely instead of good speakers and removes OIS from the camera or something like that?

It removes OIS from the cameras and it has the same plastic strip around the edge as the One Mini (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it's a lot more resistant to impact), but the speakers are about the same, just louder. It doesn't have Beats, however.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

HTC lent it to me when they repaired my M8. It's really big and really heavy. I didn't like not having a dedicated multitask button (have to double-tap Home) but otherwise it's just like all the other 2013 flagships but way bigger.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm having an issue with my wife's new Samsung Galaxy S5: The phone keeps turning off WiFi.

I've connected it to my home WiFi, but the phone says that it is "Turned Off" and is instead using Mobile Data:

When I turn off Mobile Data, then the phone starts using WiFi:
1:
2:
3:

Turning on/off "Smart Network Switch" doesn't seem to have any effect.

This is a brand-new phone. The OS is 4.4.2. I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I'd rather not have to return it, since she really likes the phone.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Disable "Turn Off" anything in Application Manager with Wi-Fi Direct in the name.

Yes, the S5 using Wi-Fi for local sharing instead of your internet connection is that aggressive. You may be able to just switch off Wi-Fi file sharing and see it work properly, but this is officially A Problem reported in quite a few places.

Samsung delenda est.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harveygod posted:

I'm having an issue with my wife's new Samsung Galaxy S5: The phone keeps turning off WiFi.

I've connected it to my home WiFi, but the phone says that it is "Turned Off" and is instead using Mobile Data:

When I turn off Mobile Data, then the phone starts using WiFi:
1:
2:
3:

Turning on/off "Smart Network Switch" doesn't seem to have any effect.

This is a brand-new phone. The OS is 4.4.2. I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I'd rather not have to return it, since she really likes the phone.

Check any battery saver settings, check the phone's wifi settings for anything like "smart switch" or anything that sounds like it is automating the handoff between mobile data and wifi, check that the "wifi timer"(haha why is this a thing?) isn't on, check that there aren't any apps like greenify or battery savers or antivirus garbage that are preventing the phone from using wifi.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Thanks. I did a reset and it seems to be working fine now. If it comes up again, I will suspect some WiFi timer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Web Jew.0 posted:

HTC lent it to me when they repaired my M8. It's really big and really heavy. I didn't like not having a dedicated multitask button (have to double-tap Home) but otherwise it's just like all the other 2013 flagships but way bigger.

Thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for (well, the Z Ultra or Nexus 6 are ideal, but this is a much better deal).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Anyone else having trouble using "cast screen" on their nexus 6? It works until there is a screen transition (orientation change or app switch), then it disconnects.

Edit: only from the pulldown menu. "Cast screen" from the Chromecast app works.

Why are there two places for this feature and why do they seemingly work differently??

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2015

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
So, the Galaxy Note Edge on Verizon can only do simultaneous voice and data when you're on their Advanced Calling Voip poo poo. Really sad this wasn't a fringe case with the droid turbo. Guess it's the standard now. Going loving backwards. You like browsing the internet while on the phone? Congrats, now it's only to Verizon customers who still have this obscure feature on their plan and it's turned on in their phone, assuming their phone is compatible, and you're both in a perfect 4glte area. Great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

So, the Galaxy Note Edge on Verizon can only do simultaneous voice and data when you're on their Advanced Calling Voip poo poo. Really sad this wasn't a fringe case with the droid turbo. Guess it's the standard now. Going loving backwards. You like browsing the internet while on the phone? Congrats, now it's only to Verizon customers who still have this obscure feature on their plan and it's turned on in their phone, assuming their phone is compatible, and you're both in a perfect 4glte area. Great.
Well not just Verizon customers in those circumstances as everyone on every other network gets to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have an Xperia E3 and it's pretty much great, except for one nagging problem: The internal storage is 2 GB, and just installing a few essential apps (Twitter, FB, the Awful app) gives me a perpetual 85% storage full warning. I have an SD card and have transferred everything the phone lets me to it, but my internal storage never goes below 85%. It's a problem because I can't install or update any apps if I reach that threshold.

I'd like to store my apps in the SD card instead, but the phone doesn't let me (some app data will still remain in internal memory). I asked a friend who had owned an Xperia (lower-end model) before and she said it's pretty much a problem I can't get around without rooting. Is there another way to remove most of the bloat in my phone's internal memory?