Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Long Francesco posted:

by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

What app? You have to compare how much data your phone locally reports and what is reported in the "my" tmobile data usage portal webpage online unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Long Francesco posted:

by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

Phone says 2.2gig, T-Mobile says 630MB. The Beats app counter is showing 1.4gig. This is on the Nerd plan which isn't even technically listed as having free streaming music AND I'm using Beats, which is also not on T-Mobile's list. Maybe give them a call and complain?

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
How would a 15% Advantage discount apply to the 2 unlimited lines/$100 deal? Is it as simple as $15 off, or is there a restriction since it's a promotion?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I've tried Pandora Spotify and Google music and I checked with the tmobile app and the website on my desktop. It's definitely not ads and stuff, I can watch it go up mb by mb as the music is streaming.

Ill have to call and complain I guess, somehow I doubt they will be very helpful though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Did T-Mobile get rid of "3G" data or at least the nomenclature? I went on a trip over the holiday and my new G3 switched between GPRS, EDGE, "4G", and LTE. It never once indicated I had a 3G connection anywhere.

Have their 3G bands been completely refarmed to 4G/HSPA or LTE?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Did T-Mobile get rid of "3G" data or at least the nomenclature? I went on a trip over the holiday and my new G3 switched between GPRS, EDGE, "4G", and LTE. It never once indicated I had a 3G connection anywhere.

Have their 3G bands been completely refarmed to 4G/HSPA or LTE?

HSPA and HSPA+ has always been 3G Tmobile just branded it as 4G like most of the other carriers. 4g is LTE.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Burden posted:

HSPA and HSPA+ has always been 3G Tmobile just branded it as 4G like most of the other carriers. 4g is LTE.

So they don't indicate anything as 3G anymore? I knew HSPA was technically a 3G technology and was branded as 4G for marketing or whatever, but they used to have UMTS as their first 3G tech (operated on 1700 and 2100 bands), what happened to it?

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to ask is has T-Mobile done away with 3G as a term entirely? Renaming those services as 4G for strictly marketing purposes.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 28, 2014

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone ever encounter a bug where the call forwarding icon turns on when it shouldn't after resetting an iPhone 5 iOS 8.1.2?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Variable_H posted:

So they don't indicate anything as 3G anymore? I knew HSPA was technically a 3G technology and was branded as 4G for marketing or whatever, but they used to have UMTS as their first 3G tech (operated on 1700 and 2100 bands), what happened to it?

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to ask is has T-Mobile done away with 3G as a term entirely? Renaming those services as 4G for strictly marketing purposes.

Yeah, pretty much.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

MrNonacho posted:

How would a 15% Advantage discount apply to the 2 unlimited lines/$100 deal? Is it as simple as $15 off, or is there a restriction since it's a promotion?

Biz/gov Advantage discounts will not be applied to that plan.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I just switched to from ATT (was a customer since the PacBell days) to TMobile for the two lines $100 deal. This plan is crazy. I asked the sales rep (call me skeptical), but I wanted to ask some TMo customers this question too: Do they do any throttling past a certain point? Im already up to 8 Gb used so far and my billing cycle ends on the 21st of Jan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That plan doesn't get throttled.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

That plan doesn't get throttled.

Yikes. How the gently caress are they going to make money?? Not that I mind, this plan is awesome.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think they make their money off of getting rid of phone subsidies at this point. It's something to do with tax and wholesale prices that I don't really understand, tbh.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Partly that, partially people not realizing how low their data use off wifi is, jumping at the "awesome" unlimited deal, then burning 3gb or less a month.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I noticed WiFi calling is turned on by default so that must have something to do with it too(?).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Wifi calling basically turns any WiFi hotspot into a tower right? You still get charged minutes of you make actual calls?

I'm still weighing whether I want to switch to Next (current ATT customer) or Tmobile. I'm currently on an out of contract unlimited plan that I really don't need.

The big kicker for me is Spotify not counting towards data. All I use for music is Spotify. But reading up a bit it seems like Tmobile is a bit unreliable in detecting it and knocking it off your data usage?

I'd also be plunking down ~400$ towards the phone right off since I have a gift certificate from work and I'd like to pay off the phone quickly to get my bill down.

Sorry, I'm just thinking out load a bit here.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
My Nexus 6 definitely shows 3G, but usually I'm switching between LTE and whatever H is.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Wifi calling basically turns any WiFi hotspot into a tower right? You still get charged minutes of you make actual calls?

I'm still weighing whether I want to switch to Next (current ATT customer) or Tmobile. I'm currently on an out of contract unlimited plan that I really don't need.

The big kicker for me is Spotify not counting towards data. All I use for music is Spotify. But reading up a bit it seems like Tmobile is a bit unreliable in detecting it and knocking it off your data usage?

I'd also be plunking down ~400$ towards the phone right off since I have a gift certificate from work and I'd like to pay off the phone quickly to get my bill down.

Sorry, I'm just thinking out load a bit here.

40 a month gets you unlim T&T and 500mb capped data. $5 more gets you 2gb capped.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
H is basically 3.5G. 3G is what the phone will idle on for lower power consumption before kicking over to H. T-Mobile went through a brief phase of branding H as "4G" and some TMo branded phones would display an HSPA connection as "4G". Thankfully, those phones should start being phased out as they get a bit long in the tooth and TMo's LTE coverage becomes the norm.

If you're curious what your phone is actually doing / connecting to you can go to Settings > About > Status > Cellular State on an Android device.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

repeating posted:

40 a month gets you unlim T&T and 500mb capped data. $5 more gets you 2gb capped.

Capped as in throttling after that amount?

And I'd get tethering too?

Plus the Jump fee on top, correct?

Either way I'm comings in under my "unlimited" ATT bill.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Capped as in throttling after that amount?

And I'd get tethering too?

Plus the Jump fee on top, correct?

Either way I'm comings in under my "unlimited" ATT bill.

Simple Starter is 40/month. No int'l calling. No int'l roaming. 500mb capped as in stops data. $45 for 2gb. $50 for 1gb with throttling on Simple Choice. $60 for 3gb with throttling. $80 for unlimited high-speed. $100 for 2 lines unlimited high-speed. This is talking rate plan only, so JUMP is not included.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

That would be weird if they do. There are several ways of making WiFi Calls that are not going through TMo. I would think they would only charge you for calls that are going over their towers. But maybe not...this whole industry confuses the gently caress out of me at times.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of wi-fi calling, is there any way to do it if I have an international Z3 compact without T-Mobile's firmware? There's an "internet call settings" section, but it doesn't line up at all with what the T-Mobile support page says about wi-fi calling.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

spiralbrain posted:

That would be weird if they do. There are several ways of making WiFi Calls that are not going through TMo. I would think they would only charge you for calls that are going over their towers. But maybe not...this whole industry confuses the gently caress out of me at times.

If it's anything like ATT's microcell then yeah, minutes still count when making calls even though it's using your own network connection. Tmobile is still routing the calls to and from the Internet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you're on a plan with limited minutes then yes, it counts against them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

404notfound posted:

Speaking of wi-fi calling, is there any way to do it if I have an international Z3 compact without T-Mobile's firmware? There's an "internet call settings" section, but it doesn't line up at all with what the T-Mobile support page says about wi-fi calling.

The short answer is no. TMobile branded WiFi calling is 100% dependent on their firmware/OSmodifications. The internet calling thing you're seeing in Settings is for SIP.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

spiralbrain posted:

If you use a voip app like Facetime or Vonage, then there's no way for Tmobile to count it against your minutes.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

H is basically 3.5G. 3G is what the phone will idle on for lower power consumption before kicking over to H. T-Mobile went through a brief phase of branding H as "4G" and some TMo branded phones would display an HSPA connection as "4G". Thankfully, those phones should start being phased out as they get a bit long in the tooth and TMo's LTE coverage becomes the norm.

If you're curious what your phone is actually doing / connecting to you can go to Settings > About > Status > Cellular State on an Android device.

Thanks for the info. H always seems slower than regular 3G for me, I assumed it was rebranded Edge (or the GSM equivalent? I don't know, been on CDMA all my life). Probably just congestion.

That is really lovely that they count wifi calling against you. I thought I read that they're bringing it to Nexus 6's (currently it doesn't work), so maybe they'll make it an app or something instead. I hope. Would they really push out a different update image for a Nexus?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Here are the FAQs on WiFi calling

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9997

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have been using hangouts now that it has the integrated dialer and it works great. The voice quality is a million times better than cellular and I have effectively unlimited minutes. I can use it on cellular data and it doesn't count against my minutes and it still sounds better than a cell call. Plus it works on wifi of course.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

r0ck0 posted:

I have been using hangouts now that it has the integrated dialer and it works great. The voice quality is a million times better than cellular and I have effectively unlimited minutes. I can use it on cellular data and it doesn't count against my minutes and it still sounds better than a cell call. Plus it works on wifi of course.

Hangouts really sucks on iOS. The notifications are so poorly-integrated that they're easy to miss, and even on a fast new device it takes several rings to answer, leading to missed calls.

Vonage has a quicker dialer for outgoing calls, but poorer call quality.

Neither of these will continue a call once you leave wifi, so starting a call as you're leaving home and trying to continue it as you drive away isn't an option. Dropped calls like that are pretty unprofessional.

Wifi-calling with VOLTE hand-off is by far the winner, except for it costing money on prepaid plans. It sounds great and works really well in LTE markets.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I hosed up and didn't check this thread before signing up and missed the nerd plan. Is there anyway to get myself on the plan despite having a phone setup without it? Would it take a new sim card, new phone, or a new passport and identity to get over on the plan?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Nerd plan needs a new account, you can't port your number directly from T-Mobile postpaid to it. Needs an activation kit, and you'll either bring a number in from another carrier or generate a new one.

Prepaid doesn't care about your identity.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

heffray posted:

Nerd plan needs a new account, you can't port your number directly from T-Mobile postpaid to it. Needs an activation kit, and you'll either bring a number in from another carrier or generate a new one.

Prepaid doesn't care about your identity.

So if I don't care about keeping my old number I could set it up with the same phone?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Ingenium posted:

So if I don't care about keeping my old number I could set it up with the same phone?

Exactly

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Ingenium posted:

Or port to AT&T GoPhone for a month, then back to T-Mobile.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What is the point of 2G if nothing fully loads on it, not even regular web browsing?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hiddenriverninja posted:

What is the point of 2G if nothing fully loads on it, not even regular web browsing?

i'm able to fairly reliably browse stuff like SA on 2g when i go over by 5gb on the nerd plan. but yeah it's reallllly trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm having a problem on T-Mobile right now where if I roam from LTE to 2G nothing works, but if I go into the cellular network options and switch the network type preference to 2G I am able to do basic web browsing. I called T-Mobile but the representative didn't seem to believe me or fully understand, just kept saying that 2G is very slow compared to LTE.

I would bother to call back hoping for a more technical person, but I almost never roam out of their LTE coverage and if I do I have the manual workaround.